Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's on your menu tonight?

Comments

• February11February11 Posts: 12,608 Member
    Ah, hence your username. Makes sense :)

I'm a February baby too.
    What day are you?
    MLgj4Vx.png
    February11 wrote: »
    leftover soup, and fresh bay scallops.

Sounds good. What is the soup?

It was lentils, cabbage, rutabaga, onion, garlic I forsget what else. i couldn't eat it food allergies to cavage and rugatgwavw sorry had too much Ipa.

tonight in addition to lotsa beer, was scalloped potato, baked beans, chickpea/buckwheat bread.
    I had to google rutabaga. So it's another name for a swede. Never heard that word before.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I made a special dinner tonight. It doesn't look like much in the pic, but I tell you, that béchamel was heavenly, infused as it was with the reserved intensely flavorful liquor of scallops plus the liquid the shrimp gave off when I steamed them. And the linguini was a good brand, great al dente texture. I had steamed some fresh greens intending to include them in the sauce, but instead, reserved them for the side, because the sauce was too good and I was afraid the greens would impart a harsh note.

jn9WZ3ml.jpg

If you ever broil scallops, reserve the liquid they exude, and use it soon in a sauce!
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    I went ahead and made one of hubs' childhood comfort foods: what they call in New England "Saturday Night Suppah" which is variations on Boston Baked Beans and Steamed Brown Bread, hotdogs, and coleslaw.

This version I made for tonight uses grass-fed free-range uncured beef hotdogs, and no corn in the brown bread...buckwheat and chickpea flour instead. I don't get excited about this as a meal because it's not my childhood memory, but I think he's gonna like it!

BNjx4pcl.jpg

xicwqMCm.jpg
    I did my vegetarian nachos tonight as we haven't had it for awhile. Good naughty comfort food!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited February 2021
    It was supposed to be buttermilk fried chicken, sweet potato fries, and balsamic Brussels sprouts. The store didn't have buttermilk however and I worked late shift so it was the only stop I could make on the way home. So hopefully I can get it elsewhere tomorrow. Maybe since I have more time to shop and cook (and more ability to carry groceries again) I'll throw in dessert and maybe do air fryer brownies.

Tonight I guess it's just more mini sausage rolls (from a box lol) and maybe some sweet potato fries (I can eat them almost every day so this is fine even if I make them tomorrow too lol) both thrown in the air fryer.

I literally just got my air fryer yesterday so it's my fun new toy and everything will come out of it for like a month (or more. I said the same about my instant pot... it's been 2 years... still not over the shiny new toy feeling lol)
    @dreamerz13 everyone seems to be raving about air fryers. I was so close to looking into getting one, but love my slow cooker, and do most of my cooking on the oven top, under the grill or the BBQ.
    Have you used it much? And your thoughts for general cooking with it?
    MLgj4Vx.png
    edited February 2021
    @dreamerz13 everyone seems to be raving about air fryers. I was so close to looking into getting one, but love my slow cooker, and do most of my cooking on the oven top, under the grill or the BBQ.

I've hardly used it as I've only had it a couple days. And so far I've only done frozen fried and appetizers in it. So my scope of experience isn't huge.

I was eyeing and researching them for a bit though. They seem like they can do nearly everything an oven can do. They're essentially convection ovens so if you can make it in a convection oven you can make it in an air fryer. People say it crisps better and cooks faster but idk since I never used a convection oven... I just know the air fryer itself works beautifully.

They can do more than just fry though. They can do some baking (not everything works like cakes and cookies do but pastries that shouldn't rise much don't and they're only useful for small batches anyway like 2 or 3 servings). Just looking for a recipe to try was exhausting cause they can do so much lol.

It seems like it's very handy if you want fast cooking as the general rule of thumb seems to be to use half of the time you would in a regular oven. And are just cooking for like one or two people. It's nicer than fussing with a regular oven imo. Like they're just very convenient little things so it can be nice for a busy lifestyle too. Like at 11pm after a long day of work I'm going to love being able to cook in 10 or 15 minutes instead of 20 or 30.

• February11 wrote: »

I'm a February baby too.
    What day are you?

Whoops, I missed your question @February11 - I'm Valentine' day, the 14th (yesterday).
  • PennyDreadPriestessPennyDreadPriestess Posts: 267 Member
    edited February 2021
    If my evening goes to plan (which is uncertain as I have a plumber coming over late in the day to do some work), then I'm planning to make this for dinner. I haven't had it before so I don't know what it's like.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/caramelized-onion-pasta

z29ybuv.jpg
    dreamerz13 wrote: »

I've hardly used it as I've only had it a couple days. And so far I've only done frozen fried and appetizers in it. So my scope of experience isn't huge.

I was eyeing and researching them for a bit though. They seem like they can do nearly everything an oven can do. They're essentially convection ovens so if you can make it in a convection oven you can make it in an air fryer. People say it crisps better and cooks faster but idk since I never used a convection oven... I just know the air fryer itself works beautifully.

They can do more than just fry though. They can do some baking (not everything works like cakes and cookies do but pastries that shouldn't rise much don't and they're only useful for small batches anyway like 2 or 3 servings). Just looking for a recipe to try was exhausting cause they can do so much lol.

It seems like it's very handy if you want fast cooking as the general rule of thumb seems to be to use half of the time you would in a regular oven. And are just cooking for like one or two people. It's nicer than fussing with a regular oven imo. Like they're just very convenient little things so it can be nice for a busy lifestyle too. Like at 11pm after a long day of work I'm going to love being able to cook in 10 or 15 minutes instead of 20 or 30.
    That all sounds very tempting, but I still don't know if I really need one. Thanks for your reply. It 's very thorough.
    MLgj4Vx.png

I'm a February baby too.
    What day are you?

Whoops, I missed your question @February11 - I'm Valentine' day, the 14th (yesterday).

Happy belated birthday.
    That caramelized onion pasta looks pretty good.

MLgj4Vx.png
  • February11 wrote: »
    That caramelized onion pasta looks pretty good.

We've just had it, and it was very tasty. Strong onion flavour, of course, that goes without saying. I doubled the garlic also. It was a big winner with my other half, because he loves onions.

I might have made it just the tiniest touch too salty, but it didn't really have much negative impact on the flavour. Hubby says he'd like to have it again, so that one will go into our rotation now I guess.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. :)

edited February 2021
    I've got a couple of other recipes from Epicurious bookmarked this week. Might have this one tonight, it's traditionally a breakfast dish apparently but this lady has it for dinner, and I'm going to as well!

https://www.epicurious.com/the-smart-cook/garlicky-fried-rice-dinner-sinangag-article

photo from above article:
    1DXJDGk.jpg
    Post edited by PennyDreadPriestess on
    I'm adapting a recipe from a book I was given for Christmas, so it's going to be Chilli Prawns with Mexican beans, Avocado Salsa and garlic bread.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Butter chicken
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
    Probably burgers.

Was finally going to make chicken, sweet potato fries, and Brussels sprouts that I was going to make a couple days ago but I don't think it's happening today. I have all the stuff now and am 99% prepped. But nobody is available to eat with me right now and since I'm trying to do something nice for the family I want us all to be available to eat at the time (normally if I cook for the family people just help themselves whenever but this is supposed to be nice so I want everybody to have fresh warm food).
    Hubs made turkey meatballs and long noodles in a broth seasoned with fresh ginger and scallions, with chard.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    edited February 2021
    I'm adapting a recipe from a book I was given for Christmas, so it's going to be Chilli Prawns with Mexican beans, Avocado Salsa and garlic bread.

Well, that was a success. I hope I'll remember what I did for another time!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Well now that I've had sinangang (see my last post), I really have to ask why I have never had garlic chips in any dish before.

I have some left over to go into another dish (from the same website) tomorrow night.

edited February 2021
    Finally had my fried chicken, sweet potato fries, and Brussels sprouts. The breading on the chicken fell flat I really didn't like the recipe something seemed really wrong so I tried something else and it looked way better but I think I messed up the measurements on the spices. Oh well. The marinade was good so it was still decent. The veggies were good though I should have tossed the sprouts once more cause few were over done but whatever... they were still excellent. Fries came out fine and I caught it in time but I definitely tried to burn the house down with them because I accidentally turned the heat way up and didn't notice right away. Adventures in cooking 20210216-205601.jpg

Once I'm less full I have a cute little heart shaped chocolate explosion cake from the grocery store. It was discounted since valentines day is over so it was a good deal. And given my adventures in cooking today I'm glad I didn't try to make my own dessert. I'm not much of a baker anyway lol.
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Pancakes cuz it's Pancake Day!
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • @dreamerz13 those brussels look good. I do like brussels.

We went to a local cafe for dinner, I just had nachos. Nothing exciting.
    edited February 2021
    EDIT: WINNER WINNER RAMEN DINNER! This was delicious. I served it with some Satay tofu.

I had planned to make this last night, but didn't. So this is what we will have tonight.

Ramen noodles with spring onions and garlic crisp.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ramen-noodles-with-spring-onions-and-garlic-crisp

mR4jKTM.jpg
    Post edited by PennyDreadPriestess on
    edited February 2021
    Gonna try air fryer pizza tonight. Though I am skeptical because I threw a whole dang slice of cheese in there on a burger (just for the last less than a minute just to help it get melty) earlier and it blew off and made a mess lol so idk how cheese shreds will withstand the fan lol. Hopefully the sauce helps it stick.

EDIT: WINNER WINNER RAMEN DINNER! This was delicious. I served it with some Satay tofu.

I had planned to make this last night, but didn't. So this is what we will have tonight.

Ramen noodles with spring onions and garlic crisp.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ramen-noodles-with-spring-onions-and-garlic-crisp

mR4jKTM.jpg

This looks and sounds amazing.