Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Skills are too different in difficulty to grind

This topic is old, but it is renewed with the arrival of the Rock Climbing skill. Which takes 20000 years to get up to lvl 9, which is needed to even be able to earn Gold in the Mountain Excursions.

A quick comparison: My main Sim went from 1 to Max in Skiing in two afternoons (from about 1PM to Midnight each time). Rock Climbing? She is now lvl 6, and it has taken a week. Because it is not only very slow to increase; the injury system makes it impossible to grind properly. Thank God I am playing with Aging Off.

This is not a new phenomena; the Research and Debate skill (which on top of things is irrelevant outside College) took over from Charisma as the "Skill grind from hell". But at least for me the Rock Climbing skill is even worse.

The main problem of course is that some skills, for some reason, are just harder to grind. There is a serious imbalance between the skills in the game.
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    Skill books are your friends?
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I've noticed this too. I just imagine that, like real life, some skills are just harder to learn anyways. I think having some traits help with skills too like in the case of rock climbing, it might help to have a sims with the athletic skill.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Charisma is fairly easy to level up using the Brighten Day interaction and purchasing the Great Kisser reward trait also.

But I agree that some skills should be harder to build than others, especially depending on traits.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Yeah, the rock climbing skill is a real pain.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Can you use the wall that came with Fitness Stuff to build it too now? I thought they said you could in the live stream for Snowy Escape, but I can’t 100% remember.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    easy as 1 2 3 just cheat and max all skills from the start
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Can you use the wall that came with Fitness Stuff to build it too now? I thought they said you could in the live stream for Snowy Escape, but I can’t 100% remember.

You can, which limits injuries, however the skill gain is slower instead. When my Sim was lvl 4 and I did a full overhang climb on the machine, 4 hours non stop climbing raised the skill bar maybe a few mm. But for an early start without ouchies it is definitely valid for the first two levels of the skill.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Read skill books until level 6 or so. It is leas a grind that way. That is what I do.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Read skill books until level 6 or so. It is leas a grind that way. That is what I do.

The problem with that, of course, is that with the kind of Sim that enjoys climbing you have to turn autonomy off or they stop because they're bored after an hour or so.
    Seriously, my Sims are both Adventurous and Active. And outdoorish lifestyles. They will not accept sitting down and reading unless I literally turn autonomy completely off.