Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A question about 'Game Repair' on Origin

Hi, long time no see I guess. :) I always stay on the patch 1.67 as I'm not enjoying logging into Origin. But I heard There's Game Repair feature for the Sims 3 as well. I know how it works with the sims 4 but what usually does it fix with the sims 3? If it helps a lot with bugs or lagging, then I can prepare update for 1.69. :D It's kind of frustrating that I have to log in and sometimes, the Eps and Sps selections are reset for some reason on sims 3 launcher.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Repair Game on TS3 only fixes and realigns the Origin and Launcher tie-ins. It also sets some files like the GraphicsRules and GraphicsCards sgr files back to standard, thus undoing any changes the player may have made to grant formal card recognition. It doesn't do a thing to or for actual gameplay files.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Repair Game on TS3 only fixes and realigns the Origin and Launcher tie-ins. It also sets some files like the GraphicsRules and GraphicsCards sgr files back to standard, thus undoing any changes the player may have made to grant formal card recognition. It doesn't do a thing to or for actual gameplay files.

Big Thanks igazor. :D I better stay on patch 1.67.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited February 2021
    @Jeansoo If you wanted to repair, you could run the Super Patch instead (disc install only), which verifies the game files and replaces any that are missing or altered. That includes the .sgr files, so you'd need to redo the edits or put aside copies of those files beforehand. But it's usually not necessary to mess with the program files anyway.

@igazor I don't know whether a repair is as thorough as its name suggests, but it does replace other missing or altered game files, not just the .sgr files. I tried deleting a few random files just now, since I was messing with my install anyway, and Origin restored everything for both the base game and the packs.

I also happened to get a game version 0.0.0 in the launcher and the "error during startup" message when I deleted the GameData folder, which was on its own enough to make the experiment worthwhile.

I don't want to derail too much.

Deleting the Game folder made Origin think I needed to redownload TS3, no surprise, and Windows wouldn't even let me move the folder while Origin was open. (Can't be completed, open in another program, blah blah.) None of the other folders produced that error or prevented the launcher from loading.

It turns out that removing the resource.cfg file in \GameData\Shared\Win32 was enough to trigger the "error during startup" and version 0 in the launcher. I think putting it back should have worked, since putting back the Win32 folder worked, but I apparently made Origin angry enough that it refused to load my game library from that point forward. It worked fine in macOS though. Origin and I are going to have a talk.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @puzzlezaddict - Yes, that makes sense. But the average player (ha, if there is such a thing) isn't going to have messed around with the Program File structure themselves beyond the sgr file edits. Since, in theory, these files do not change over time through routine usage, it's not like a Repair Game is going to do tremendous good (or harm) for a player whose game is already functioning. I mean, it won't help them decrease lag or help their sims' waffles taste better or anything like that and it's certainly not a function that by itself makes an Origin controlled game more attractive than one that is not Origin controlled. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited February 2021
    At least with an non-Origin controlled game you won't get those pesky ads for that abomination that is Sims 4 bothering your gameplay when you boot up the game for the first time.

I'm quite certain that's the cause of some of my need for Amlodipine (a blood pressure med).
    maxresdefault.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    I have the Origin edition on my laptop, which I rarely use, and recently had to repair game due to an unfortunate incident with the graphics rules trying to get my graphics card recognized. It updated. I haven’t noticed a difference. I do have the limited edition of Showtime though. .