Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 is the best game ever

KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 441 Member
I've played since Sims 1. I've also played the mobile games, Sims Medieval, and My Sims. And Sims 4 is the best game in the franchise, actually the best game ever to exist.

Yes, you are allowed to criticize the game. The lack of toddlers, the overgrown teens, and the Star Wars commercial pack are problems. But let's compare a lot of the mainstream complaints to their equivalents in other games.

Super Mario 3 is likely the best game in the Mario franchise. Yet when Mario 64 came out, there was no outcry over the lack of tanooki and frog suits, no petitions to bring back Ludwig Koopa or Birdo. Players were open to the idea of following Nintendo in this new direction in the franchise - and there wasn't even a Yoshi in that game!

Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time was my favorite video game for a very long time. And yes, the new Switch games are very different. But there's no online petitions to bring back Saria the green haired girl. I could appreciate this isn't the exact same game and that's ok.

It would be exhausting to read through forms about Breath of the Wild that are cluttered with "OoT did this better". But that's what the Sims 4 community is like.

As a collective, it's like Sims players can't get past that game developers are allowed to go in a different direction with each iteration. They don't owe us open world, create a style, or fire stations. Yes, more hair colors would be nice - do you remember that Sims 2 only had 4 hair colors? Do you remember that Sims 3 university only had 5 majors, and none were social sciences? It was more like Sims 3 trade school.

I think the community is allowed to express our views, and the change in skin tones was a success. But I also think the community needs to be more self-reflective before sprouting toxicity at the developers.

I've enjoyed all the Sims games. When Sims 3 launched, I didn't like it, but after ambitions and generations came out, it was great. When Sims 4 first launched, it was indeed a partial and incomplete game. But after parenthood, island living, discover university and snowy escape, this is the best game I have ever played.

Thank you Sims team. You are amazing.

Comments

• auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I've also played all the sims games ranging from the sims 1-4 on PC and the games on the PlayStation. The sims 4 isn't my favorite. There are things I really like about the game (CAS and build/buy are amazing) but the game lacks in gameplay. I think the sims 4 still has the potential to be the best sims game. It just needs some improvements until then I still play sims 2 and 3 on my computer.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited February 2021
    the best game ever? that's a personal opinion lol
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    OP you are definitely free to think that, if it's the best for you, it's the best for you.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2021
    It is my favourite iteration so far. Whether it's the best though is a matter of opinion and can change from one person to another.

The previous games seem to have a lot more detail and effort put into them from what I've seen of them and they are rich with content and fun things to do, they sometimes will drive the play in different directions by the Sims wants and fears. This is something I feel the Sims 4 lacks. Saying this though none of the previous games were perfect, they all had their strong points and issues.

Even though I feel that the Sims 4 is my personal favourite I can also understand why it isn't as enjoyable as it's predecessors for some people.
  • Loves2draw1812Loves2draw1812 Posts: 168 Member
    "Sims 4 is the best game in the franchise, actually the best game ever to exist."
    Perhaps change that to a 'in my opinion'. You love it, that's great, good you get so much fun from it.

Though the Sims 4 gets criticism because there are plenty of valid things to criticise, of course there are good things too... but the bad is pretty bad..Personally I think the main issue the Sims 4 has is EA.
  • YBNS2468YBNS2468 Posts: 240 Member
    edited February 2021
    I started playing when TS1 came out and my opinion is similar to yours. TS4 is also my favorite:)
    Big thank you sims team!❤️
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I too have played since 1. I gotta say, each game has had its own "Something Special" thing(s) about it. For me, none of them are better/worse than any other. They all brought something great to the table and Sims 4 is no exception. When I go back and play 1, 2 or 3 I miss things about 4 like drag and drop building options, push and pull CAS options, multitasking, emotions and the aesthetics of Sims 4. I know that part, the aesthetics, is controversial as some think it doesn't look good but I love the art style of Sims 4 personally and miss it when I'm playing the others.

I think Sims 2 is still my favorite of the games, but catch me on a different day/different mood and it'll probably be a different answer :D
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • VermilionSphereVermilionSphere Posts: 114 Member
    aside from comparing Sims 4 to non-Sims games , Sims 4 does not even compare favorably to the previous Sims games
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    That is a valid opinion. I personally prefer it over sims 2, and also tie it with 3 as my favorite, so yes my opinion is kinda similar to yours when it comes to this, it is one of the best in the franchise for me. Of course there is room for plenty of improvements, but i am still playing it which means i have fun with it regardless.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Did you mean the best among the sims series, or the best game compared to every game in existence ?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    TA4 has made improvements compared to past iterations, but I really wish they would upgrade the harvestables to look like the real plants. Right now the valerian plant is the most amazing plant in the game, you can see right away what plant it is without having to scroll your mouse over it and it is also a beautiful decoration for the garden. TS1 had amazing tulips and daffodils you could garden and TS2 had roses with big blooms. So, I wish they would improve the harvestables, the flowers especially need to be decorative in the garden as well.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    edited February 2021
    In my personal opinion, I also agree with the OP. I started playing Sims with Sims2, just so you'll understand things a bit from my perspective. And while the Open World in Sims3 was great, and being able to match the wood color of the chairs to the dining table with the color wheel was also fun, it seriously clogged up the game. I had a brand new gaming rig, too. Once it died I got another new gaming rig. This one was a DDR3, over the DDR2, I had initially. Sims 3 was still going when I got my replacement rig. However, it was still playing rough. The only thing that helped was having 20+ NRaas, Ind. mods installed. I did play it ever day, however despite my love/hate relationship with Sims3. All of the fluff added, took away from the quality of the Sims, themselves. If you've never played Sims2, you might not understand. In the Sims2, they were on the quirky side, inasmuch as you could open your game and be entertained just by watching them go about their 'business'. They were downright hysterically funny. Not so much in the Sims3. My Sims rarely conversed together while dining, on their own. I had to 'manually' direct one to speak to another. In Sims2, they held discussions with or without me.

Too much was given up for the Open World. Unless they totally do an entire rehaul (overhaul) on their gaming system so that we can have our Simmies back, I am not overly thrilled about the other perks.

In Sims4, one of the things I was specifically looking for was the nature of the Sims, themselves. While not quite as quirky (in a fun way) as those in Sims2, they were more like what I wanted. I even ceased playing Sims3 to reacquaint myself with loading screens, such as they had in Sims2, prior to release to avoid the sense of culture shock, as it were.

I do use mods in Sims4. I use MCCC because Story Progression is a good thing, when done right. (I used a mod that overrode the one in Sims3) improving it vastly. I also use Road To Fame, which I started using once we got the singing skill with City Living. I very much wanted my singing Sim BACK. It works nicely with Get Famous, I must add. Also one week of seasons is too short, two weeks is still shy, and four weeks you may as well remove Seasons, you're back in the same "it's always summer" feel in the game. So, I use a mod that makes seasons 21 days. I also use Slice of Life and Meaningful Stories; plus Memorable Events. Mortem; Private Practice and NSB & Bills. These all lend depth to the game, sorely lacking. But, the thing is I'm having a blast playing this game. I don't gnash my teeth as I did with Sims3. There is no hate in me for Sims4. Just a promise of what's to come.

And that, my fellow Simmers, is my opinion. Take it or leave it. Feel free to disagree, just don't be abusive about it, if you please.
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    This is my favorite in the series. I found out something new the other day, even after 6 years of playing. I think that's pretty cool! B) This is the only game I play so I don't have a lot to compare with, but the one thing that keeps me coming back is the fact that it never ends. It is only limited by your imagination. Once you beat the big boss you have no recourse but to replay, with sims you can replay endless times and have each time be a different experience...that's the reason I'll be playing Sims 4 especially, forever. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    In the Sims2, they were on the quirky side, inasmuch as you could open your game and be entertained just by watching them go about their 'business'. They were downright hysterically funny. Not so much in the Sims3. My Sims rarely conversed together while dining, on their own. I had to 'manually' direct one to speak to another. In Sims2, they held discussions with or without me.

I loved that part about TS2. Watching them interact with each other, setting up venues for them was such fun. In TS3 all venues were either deserted or rabbit holes.
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I have to agree. I have been with sims since its first iteration. Every version has come with its bugs and quirks (good and bad). Sims 4 is the one game I have played and enjoyed more than any other. I have enjoyed elements of every version of Sims (as well as many other games)... I probably wouldn't keep buying the next if I didn't... but I get more overall enjoyment and playability out of 4. It just suits my style of play.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited February 2021
    well I'm glad OP is enjoying the game

though i *politely* disagree in my own opinion which is that ts4 is somewhere between sims 1 and sims 2 at the moment for me when it comes to overall enjoyment of the game

I feel some things have definitely improved
    like the overall art style and graphics and few build tools and cas things

but also I can't help but feel ts4 lacks some gameplay depth compared to ts2 and 1 (which could still be fixed if they tried tbh)

ts3... let's not talk about that problem child
    i have to go to therapy if i start talking about it

let's just say its lower than ts4 on the list and move on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I do love this game, and it has probably become my favourite above TS2, though I still have a lot of great memories from that game.

I only had a short introduction to the original sims as, by the time I came across it, TS2 had already been released. So it wasn't long before I moved on to TS2 and I became well and truly addicted - I played it far, far too much, used a lot of cc and mods (for pleasure rather than a fix) and even got into the creating side.

Then came TS3... and it blew me away when I first saw the open world and cast. But there was something that was never quite right about it, something that didn't draw me in like TS2 did. I did enjoy the game, but they made a mess of the sims themselves - the way they looked and moved always irritated me - and, of course, it was pretty much impossible to play it without 'fix-it' mods (thank heavens for Nraas). It was still a lot of fun to play at the time, but it didn't give me as many hours of enjoyment as I'd had with TS2.

I can't go back and play any other version these days. TS4 has too many aspects to it that I wouldn't want to give up.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I have played since Sims 2. I love all the games and do think each has it's own charm. I still play all of them. Sims 2 is still my favorite as of now. I will have to wait to see if 5 when it comes can dethrone it.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,183 Member
    Super Mario 3 is likely the best game in the Mario franchise. Yet when Mario 64 came out, there was no outcry over the lack of tanooki and frog suits, no petitions to bring back Ludwig Koopa or Birdo. Players were open to the idea of following Nintendo in this new direction in the franchise - and there wasn't even a Yoshi in that game!

Difference is, Nintendo added much more to Mario 64 than they removed from past games, so there was no need to ask for what was removed. EA took Sims series staples out of Sims 4 like.......Toddlers and really didn't add much in return. I get where you're going with this, but don't compare EA to Nintendo when you're trying to make EA look good.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited February 2021
    And Sims 4 is the best game in the franchise, actually the best game ever to exist

[Citation needed]
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Ts4 is becoming my favourite of all. I used to love ts3 the most but the bugs and the lags ..... almost unplayable despite the superior gameplay.
  • TantalusTantalus Posts: 200 Member
    I just cant make a game my favourite keeping in mind how broken it is. It will hurt my pride. If it was polished, it could be one of my favs. But not in the state it is right now.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2021
    If you OP feel Sims 4 is the best of series than for you it is, however for me Sims 2 will always be my favorite and then Sims 3 and finally the one in last place is Sims 4 as far as features goes, Sims 4 has the least and also it is the most gimped program. It is more about being an art program than having the most advanced features. It was supposed to be an evolution of Sims 1 through Sims 3 as in most franchises old and new features are blended and Sims 4 failed at that, it even took an step back to add back loading screens. The Neighborhoods are static and no matter how one dress up the lots it all still look the same. It has less creative tools which means less in creative thought and less of "I rule" Too many downsides in Sims 4. Sims 4 for me could have really reached it's full potential if EA/Maxis really knew how to master the program. If I was to compare Sims 4 to any of the programs I also play Sims 4 cannot compare even if it is an different genre.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Super Mario 64 didn't strip out Ludwig Koopa, tanooki suits, and Birdo, then try to sell them back as DLC. To follow your metaphor, it'd be like if Nintendo just released the Bob-omb Battlefield and made you buy the other levels as "game packs", then sold you Luigi, Toad, and the rest of the Nintendoverse as playable characters for $10 each.

This was a problem with Sims 3 stripping out Sims 2 features, but at least we got a nice open world for our trouble. Sims 4 was basically a super-nerfed Sims 2 when it first came out—not necessarily a bad thing for those of us who didn't like the open world in 3, but spending $600, even over the course of 7 years, is a lot of money just to get a complete experience we've played before.

I like Sims 4. I've played it almost 3 times as long as I played Sims 3 (but still nowhere near as long as Sims 2, I'm sure.) It's not my favorite game of all time (that's Fallout: New Vegas) or even my favorite all-time Sims game (that's 2), but I do agree that people complain too much for what's supposed to be a gathering forum of players and fans of the series.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space