Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sunset Valley Bugged?

Hello

So this is the second time I've played a family in Sunset Valley to the third generation. It's starting to get buggy, objects getting stuck, error code 12's and the other one 'a .... error occured' extreme or something, when travelling to and from university, toddlers disappearing up into the stratosphere upon return, and the oval rugs beginning to appear ... These sorts of things started happening in Sunset Valley for another family I played there years ago and I haven't played there again until now because it's weird seeing Mortimer while he went with my original family, with his parents' graves in his pocket! Ha! to another world, Aurora Skies, and got played with them there until he was old and died and had daughters and all kinds of shenanigans ...
I am thinking Sunset Valley might be buggy to begin with? If so, is there any tried and tested routine fixes for it? Or should I give up and play a different world? What about Barnacle Bay? That is the same as Sunset but without the characters, so does it have the same bugs? Or has nobody else had glitchy crashy sticky problems every time they play Sunset?

I remember you from university, I still have your story.

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Sunset Valley is the least problematic town for me. What is your lifespan so I can get an idea of how long it takes for you to get to the third generation?

Have a look through https://www.nraas.net/community/TIPS-FOR-BETTER-GAME-PERFORMANCE for some ideas. I don't do everything suggested but there are several things I do religiously and the only thing I can complain about it is the time it takes to load and save after I have played several generations (I play a slightly modified normal lifespan so after about 150 sim days saving and loading becomes a little tiresome).
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    their lifespan is long, at least 235 days altogether, longer if they had a good life. I only have store-bought and game content, and my own recolours from create a style. The mods I have are nraas story progression, MC, overwatch and error trap. My desktop computer is pretty good. It's not as powerful as the $5K one's of today, but it was very decent a couple of years ago, new. I think Error Trap is kinda new actually. I wonder if that is doing something. But that wouldn't explain why the same types of problems happened when I played another family there a couple of years ago. Anyway, I thought maybe like, a lot of people say Isla Paradiso has lots of bugs, so maybe Sunset is known to have too.
  • CoriandreCoriandre Posts: 90 Member
    Your problems are most likely not related to Sunset Valley itself. Here are a few things you can do. Get nraas traveler. Error 12 is your PC running out of RAM. Close all programs running in the background on your PC. Use “save as” instead of just save. The oval rugs are a stuck animation from a canceled action. Only happens in Uni world for me and can be deleted.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited February 2021
    I moved to another custom world after sunset valley getting really buggy and crash often when clicking map view in my 4th generations saves (around 700 sim days), another EA world that is good for generational play is Lunar Lakes.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    izecson wrote: »
    I moved to another custom world after sunset valley getting really buggy and crash often when clicking map view in my 4th generations saves (around 700 sim days), another EA world that is good for generational play is Lunar Lakes.

Does Lunar Lakes have more aliens than other worlds? Is it a store world or part of Into the Future? I've just got that world and haven't fully checked it out yet. What are the pre-made residents like?

Lunar Lakes is a store world. It does not hav3 more aliens than other worlds. You can find info on residents here https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Lunar_Lakes
    edited February 2021

Does Lunar Lakes have more aliens than other worlds? Is it a store world or part of Into the Future? I've just got that world and haven't fully checked it out yet. What are the pre-made residents like?

Lunar Lakes is a store world, and the amount of alien you will get is the same as other world when you have seasons installed, most of the premades are descendant from premades that are in EA's world such as Wolff, Sekemoto, Loveland etc.
    ihavemultiplegamertags

Lunar Lakes is a store world, and the amount of alien you will get is the same as other world when you have seasons installed, most of the premades are descendant from premades that are in EA's world such as Wolff, Sekemoto, Loveland etc.

I've just had a look at it and actually quite like the look of it, slightly unrealistic enough to be a distraction but realistic enough to be not totally silly, given Emirates have landed on Mars! Go humans!
    I just had a thought ... I could package the Bunch household in their original and plonk them into it - or are the Bunch's the buggy one's? I say Bunch because I liked having Darlene marry into my CAS family.
    Do you recommend anything else? You seem a good bet.
    edited February 2021

I've just had a look at it and actually quite like the look of it, slightly unrealistic enough to be a distraction but realistic enough to be not totally silly, given Emirates have landed on Mars! Go humans!
    I just had a thought ... I could package the Bunch household in their original and plonk them into it - or are the Bunch's the buggy one's? I say Bunch because I liked having Darlene marry into my CAS family.
    Do you recommend anything else? You seem a good bet.

I think if i remembered correctly I played with Lunar Lakes for 10th generation around 8 years ago, it is a beautiful world with only a downside is that most of the rabbithole except the science rabbit hole all look the same (portal), I dont think there is a buggy household in the game, buggy lot? perhaps.

What i can recommend is that for your sims' house not to be really standing out from the rest of the lot, you ought to decorate your house based on lunar lakes aesthetic, well not every premade lot is a futuristic, the one in the caldera looks like a regular cabin (Amelia Loveland's lot)
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    @izecson do you have any mods that might have helped in achieving the 10th generation without the game breaking, back then, which one's and what settings, or can you think of anything else that might have helped?

I wasnt an avid mod user back then, but I did use a few such as nraas master controller, overwatch, errortrap and story progression and nothing else
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    Hey while I'm here, does anyone know how to raise the quality of tofu, chicken,sausages, etc? My sim has grown an omni plant and fed it tofu, but it only grew as normal. I tried getting my sim with maxed Science to analyze harvestable while it was on the plant to try clone it as higher, but even though he scanned it, the test tube didn't appear in his inventory. When he harvested it, it didn't have an option to analyze, only gift. The omni plant grew into nice quality. What if the next seed bought in the mail gets genetic splicing, or analyze and clone the seed, will it increase the quality of the omni plant itself and then increase the quality of the tofu fed to it? There must be a way, in game, otherwise it wouldn't have a quality.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Does anyone know the difference between Sunset Valley & Adventureland? I got my sims to move to Adventureland & it just looked like Sunset Valley, very boring.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Does anyone know the difference between Sunset Valley & Adventureland? I got my sims to move to Adventureland & it just looked like Sunset Valley, very boring.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Adventureland
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    @izecson Error Trap causes the most issues for me. I had to quit and reload twice before I figured it out.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    Error Trap is a core mod. You have to use the correct version for your game version (1.67 or 1.69). It corrects errors, it doesn't cause any. Given how many errors you seem to have in your game, there's probably something wrong with your setup.
    There's really only one mod I know of but can't name, with which it is really incompatible, but I somehow doubt you use that one.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    Sunset Valley is the least problematic town for me.
    This. If you have issues in Sunset Valley, you better go looking into solutions of how to extend the lifespan of your savefiles. All saves deteriorate over time, but there are methods to keep that from getting too annoying too quickly.
    I gave up on that save and Sunset Valley. I bought Lunar Lakes and have started a game there, and have gotten Traveller, Mover and Portrait. I already have MC and SP, and O/W and Error Trap. I wonder if I got the right one, @Turjan .
    Anyway, my sim has gone to university and when she arrived at the town view, only the houses were available, none of the vacant lots, and the houses were pretty cheap, even the large one's. The absence of the vacant lots is not normal, but I can't remember how much the larger houses were to know what is normal for those. I looked at the Traveller and Mover, Traveller, @Coriandre, has 'treat as vacation' yes. I switched it to no but then the into the furture portal landed, and going into build or buy brings up lot info of simolean worth, not rent. I can't remember if the latter is normal or not. I can't see anything in Mover that sounds like it's affecting it. Also, the diner at the university is ownable - that's not normal.
    Have I been given bad advice about getting Traveller? It feels like my sim is cheating by living in the large house straight off the bat. Is this why when I started at Lunar Lakes, the vacant lots weren't showing up there? I had to go into town edit and change the lot type of them all to ownable, which put a flag on them like on vacation, so then I tried back to regular and then they were available normal. I don't like it.
    What's going on and how do I fix it? What settings do I need to put in Traveller or Mover to make the worlds normal, just better for avoiding errors and bugs? Or should I remove them entirely? I got mover because I'm sick of having full house dramas.
    Luckily I haven't gone very far into it and can start again with the new sim I created for it, because a copy of her is in the sim bin, and I haven't built anything on the lot in LL yet.
    There is a specific procedure to move into a new world with traveler. Switching to « treat as vacation » false does not change your homeworld or the fact that you are on vacation, it just permits you to work at your job while in the new world (if of course the job venue exists in this world). See here for more info on how to move to a new world (look for the Switching Homeworlds section of the guide http://www.nraas.net/Traveler-FAQ

For Uniworld, if you already own a house there (or want to own a house), you first have to rent a house or a dorm and then purchase a house or move to it if you already had purchased one.

To best way to get specific or pro info on nraas mods is to write a question on their forum or page/tag Igazor on this one.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    If you got the wrong Error Trap you will get a popup telling you the version you have is wrong. The only difference between the two versions of Error Trap is the version number.

I've never noticed any issues with Sunset Valley.

If you are having problems there you probably will have the same problems elsewhere unless you find out what is causing your problems and fix it.

I have problems wherever I play due to having 20 or more sims in a household. I recently decided to stop allowing my game to change seasons as I really only have huge, game breaking, issues when it is in Autumn, Winter or Spring. So I've now got it staying permanently in Summer.

In order to avoid getting Error 12 I notice how many times I've saved since I launched. I can usually get 2 or 3 saves before I get and Error 12. So when I have saved twice I think about if I dare try for a third save as it's time to shut down and relaunch. Going for that 3rd save sometimes means I lose a bit of game play as there is Error 12. My other option would be to reduce the number of sims in my household to close to 8, and reduce graphic settings.

If you want to move your entire world population to a new empty world you could use NRAAS Porter mod. I think the amount of memory your computer has is what controls the number of sims you can move with that mod. The most I've ever successfully moved is over 300.