Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gradual aging? Would it be something you'd like to see in future instalments of the Sims?

Now I don't think that EA is planning to do this at all, however I'm curious as to how people would react if they ever scrapped the lifestages and did it all gradually. I remember this topic floating around for Paralives a while back, however I haven't been keeping up with their news so idk if they've made any further announcements on that. Now obviously two different games, and I don't expect it to happen in sims like ever. But what would you think if it ever was introduced. Once again, please don't be like, "IT WONT EVER HAPPEN YOU FOOL DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WORK THAT WOULD TAKE" I'm aware it'd be a lot of work and I don't think it will ever happen. If you do think it would be possible feel free to comment why though.

Gradual aging? Would it be something you'd like to see in future instalments of the Sims? 35 votes

I don't want gradual aging at all
14%
PlayerSinger2010StrawberryYogurtNikkihAngeliqueAdelaideGamecubeLover26 5 votes
I would like to see gradual aging, but it's not something I see as a necessity
14%
bestfrienemies14FroilTurnerEmusimmer32Chicklet453681 5 votes
I don't want gradual aging, but I would like some more life stages (preteens, etc)
14%
cmbaker16OnverserChadSims2SERVERFRATARDISgrade 5 votes
I like the idea of gradual aging, but would rather them focus on other aspects of the game
14%
AcaciaCEJadamzaidMMXUlmacarpe_diem 5 votes
I like the idea of gradual aging, but would rather them continue with the life stages
2%
EdnaCloud 1 vote
I definitely want gradual aging in the future
5%
NighteyesSimAlexandria 2 votes
It wouldn't bother me whether they did or didn't implement gradual aging
5%
RememberJoyZazzyKittyn 2 votes
I like the idea, but feel like there would be way to many issues and bugs as a result of it or it wouldn't be done properly
22%
lisamwittCamkatfruitsbasket101texxx78MasonGamercalaprfyDaWaterRatBookBear 8 votes
Other
5%
crocobauraizecson 2 votes

Comments

• Emusimmer32Emusimmer32 Posts: 257 Member
    I made this poll but I still don't know where I stand lol. Idk how I'd feel about it.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Other
    Sure, I'd like gradual aging if it means that young sims won't be excluded from doing certain activities because animations were too expensive.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Other
    I want the sims to keep the age group but gives facial changes as they grow closer to the next age group, like at the start of adult you still have this youthfull look but the second half your sims started to have many wrinkles and white hair
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't want gradual aging, but I would like some more life stages (preteens, etc)
    I think more age states are a big want for me, and more distinction between them. I want to see that awkward pre-teen phase of not being a teenager yet but also not being a little kid anymore and being really into bands and going through weird phases, and I'd like to see more difference in adults as well.

Currently I view the adult category as anything between early 30s and late 60s which is a pretty big leap. For example my sim is currently early 30s in my eyes and his mother is in her 50s, but in the game they're the same age. I don't want her to be an elder just yet, but I don't want her to be the same age as her son so I'd like to see a middle aged category to add that distinction between 30 year old adults and 50 year old adults.
  • Emusimmer32Emusimmer32 Posts: 257 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I think more age states are a big want for me, and more distinction between them. I want to see that awkward pre-teen phase of not being a teenager yet but also not being a little kid anymore and being really into bands and going through weird phases, and I'd like to see more difference in adults as well.

Currently I view the adult category as anything between early 30s and late 60s which is a pretty big leap. For example my sim is currently early 30s in my eyes and his mother is in her 50s, but in the game they're the same age. I don't want her to be an elder just yet, but I don't want her to be the same age as her son so I'd like to see a middle aged category to add that distinction between 30 year old adults and 50 year old adults.

I agree I'd love a stage between adult and elder
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I like the idea, but feel like there would be way to many issues and bugs as a result of it or it wouldn't be done properly
    I'd rather sims receive all traits from the beginning. Makes no sense that a sim can suddenly be evil upon aging up to adulthood, for example.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    To get gradual aging they'd need some sort of distinct "year" even if only internally (after X Sim days, make Y group of changes) They'd also need dynamic rigging and scaling so that animations and clothing would be usable through these changes. While the technology exists, I don't know that it exists at a level that's practical for a video game, as opposed to CG animation.

Then you'd also want to consider that people don't actually age and develop at as universal a rate as the school books say we do... plus the issue of different height adults, and that sometimes teens are actually taller... (I was mistaken for a pre-teen as late as my early 20's, and my daughter's experiencing the same)

I know it's just a game so it doesn't have to be that realistic, but if we're hypothesizing on gradual aging, then we should look at all the variables people would hypothetically want for that gradual aging in the pursuit of it being a life simulator.

• UlmaUlma Posts: 6 New Member
    I like the idea of gradual aging, but would rather them focus on other aspects of the game
    I really like the idea for sure, but I was torn between the idea of the possible bugs it would cause and the fact that I just feel like the devs could work on more important things than such a system. I guess I look at it as a cool want and not a needed necessity by any means.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Other
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I'd rather sims receive all traits from the beginning. Makes no sense that a sim can suddenly be evil upon aging up to adulthood, for example.

Maybe if they were a neglected teen with a bad circle of friends they could grow up to be evil. I think some traits can be shaped and trained one way or another, for better or for worse. Like if you encourage a slob sim to be neat and clean often enough, they might develop their neat trait. Some traits could be inborn and some could be acquired through gameplay.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Some traits could be inborn and some could be acquired through gameplay.

I agree 100% with this! This is something that would make the gameplay meaningful.

For me the decision of making sims in Sims 4 live in a forever blank state was a mistake.

I get the appeal of having the player be able to do whatever he/she wants with a sim at any moment, regardless of his/her previous decisions. But i think that it takes away the fun and challenge of consequences.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    It would be pretty difficult for animations. Like a parent can't draw on the activity table so when do you draw that line when the child can't use it anymore. I think adding more age ranges might help things feel more gradual without having it actually be gradual. It would be pretty neat though if it could be implemented in future games somehow.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Gradual aging isn't something that interests me at all. I like what we have now.
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 367 Member
    It wouldn't bother me whether they did or didn't implement gradual aging
    Would love to see more stages in life preteens 40 to 50s midlifers then the ones we have now and maybe one for those that are actually toddlers and those going to kindergarten and then children especially height differences
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited February 2021
    Gradual aging is probably the only thing at this point that would make me give up sims 4 and move to the version with gradual aging. I love sims 4 too much to switch and start over but I also want gradual aging very badly haha. Its my most wanted feature even above free babies and non-mutual relationships lol
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    I always disable ageing because the way I play ageing is a nuisance and takes away all the fun. Instead, I prefer to decide myself when (if) I want my Sims to age up. So for me gradual ageing wouldn't be a welcome feature.
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I always disable ageing because the way I play ageing is a nuisance and takes away all the fun. Instead, I prefer to decide myself when (if) I want my Sims to age up. So for me gradual ageing wouldn't be a welcome feature.

Its my most wanted feature but I play like you, aging off and I age when I want to. I'd still play that's at but just allow it for a little while so they get slightly older and then disable it again haha. I want it more for the more\realistic life stages it'd create.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I like the stages and i don't want more added
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I personally think that the sims dont have to be too realistic, I think if they added more detail to every life stage, which I hope they do in the sims 4, making teens more different to adults but I do like that teens have the same clothing choices that adults & elders, adults with midlife crisis, theirs more wrinkles in cas too make one sim adult look older than the other adult
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd prefer just having all the life stages babies and preteens and be given the tools for gradual aging such as a decent variety of face mask or age marks. I never ever want the game randomly changing my Sims for those that like that the townie fashion police threads exist to see the greatness of randomness this game will do to our Sims.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    > @ChadSims2 said:
    > I'd prefer just having all the life stages babies and preteens and be given the tools for gradual aging such as a decent variety of face mask or age marks.

Adding more age marks in CAS would be a great idea! This way we could still play using the age stages but the player can decide to make their Sim look gradually older by clicking on a mirror and adding more age marks. It wouldn't be random and it would be entirely under the player's control.
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    sounds like a cool concept for sure but i dont think it would work on the sims at all if u want me to be honest.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    We need proper Middle Agers & Seniors in Sims 4. Right now, we have mature 30 plus & Elder 90 plus.
  • blockhart93blockhart93 Posts: 56 Member
    I would like lifestyles from toddler to kid- like them getting taller I guess?
    And definitely from Kid to teen. Some of the kids age up already looking like young adults.
    I think gradual aging from young adult to adult would be a good one too.