Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Daughters of Hesperia - An Amazon Challenge Inspired Story (Rebooted)

lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
Third time is the charm!

After several computer issues, I've finally been able to sort things out to give this a third try! Please click the spoilers beneath each name to see the episodes!

Daughters of Hesperia is a story based off the Amazon Challenge, and starts with a princess called Molpe being sent off to become queen of her own tribe. With her are Septimus and Pallas, sons of the Sirena tribe, and her young sister Anikka.

Queen Molpe I of Hesperia
Hesperia Anew (1.1.)
On the Thoughts of Royalty (1.2)
Sons of Warriors (1.3)
A Princess Alone (1.4)
To Become a True Queen (1.5)
The Arrivals (1.6)
Expectations and Reality (1.7)
Elsewhere (1.8)
Adjusting (1.9)
Myths and the Truth (1.10)
A Royal Visit (1.11)
The Firstborn (1.12)
The Issue of the Queen (1.13)
To Aid Others (1.14)
Under Our Shield (1.15)
Diana (1.16)
To Move Forward (1.17)
Glauce (1.18)
My Choice (1.19)
As Time Goes By (1.20)
Callianassa (1.21)
Lullabies (1.22)
Preoccupied (1.23)
Gorgophone (1.24)
Marcella of Hesperia (1.25)
Callianassa of Ogygia (1.26)
Royal Decrees (1.27)
Baby Steps (1.28)
Timandra (1.29)
Handmaiden (1.30)
Princess Anikka of Hesperia (1.31)
To Be Nobody (1.32)
Elsewhere, Again (1.33)
Troubled Waters (1.34)
The Last Link (1.35)
The Hidden Moon (1.36)
The Heiress to Hesperia (1.37)
Jubilation (1.38)
Lessons Begin (1.39)
The Qualities of a Priestess (1.40)
Diana of Hesperia (1.41)
Apple of My Eye (1.42)
The Council (1.43)
Polgara's Request (1.44)
Pride and Trust (1.45)
Nowhere Queen (1.46)
The Weight of Duty (1.47)
Child of the Moon (1.48)
The Newcomers (1.49)
Welcome Wagon (1.50)
Idle Gossip (1.51)
The Wave Returns to the Ocean (1.52)
Lessons of the Past (1.53)
As the Queen Commands (1.54)
Mea Culpa (1.55)
Calliope (1.56)
Alone at Last (1.57)
Wilhelmina of Calidus (1.58)
Turning To The Moon (1.59)
The Waves of Time (1.60)
The Queen's Game (1.61)
Andromeda (1.62)
At Peace (1.63)
To Hesperia (1.64)
Evander (1.65)
A Little Bird (1.66)
New Moon, Old Moon (1.67)
A Royal Discussion (1.68)
Tall Tales (1.69)
Oceans and Mountains (1.70)
Catch Up (1.71)
Between Friends (1.72)
Quality Time (1.73)
Building Trust (1.74)
Ajax (1.75)
The Next Lioness (1.76)
Sons of Hesperia (1.77)
A Delicate Matter (1.78)
Birth and Death (1.79)
Uncertainty (1.80)
Guard Dogs (1.81)
Sunflowers (1.82)
All Abuzz With Activity (1.83)
Poledra (1.84)
A Rainy Day (1.85)
Thunderstruck (1.86)
Time Well Spent (1.87)
A Civil Discussion (1.88)
Little Dove (1.89)
Two Sisters (1.90)
The Fallen Queen (1.91)
Taking Up The Mantle (1.92)
Lean On Me (1.93)
Sorrow (1.94)
Family Reunion (1.95)
Influence (1.96)
Who May Grieve (1.97)
Planning For The Future (1.98)
Honesty (1.99)
Old Friends, Changing Times (1.100)
Standing Strong (1.101)
Poledra, the Apprentice (1.102)
Andromeda the Younger (1.103)
Odysseus' Choice (1.104)
Poldaran (1.105)
Refusal (1.106)
Finality (1.107)
Categories (1.108)
Grief and Duty (1.109)
Ocalea (1.110)
A Room of One's Own (1.111)
Necessary Words (1.112)
Post edited by lilypadmeulin on

Comments

• lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    @MrsRacooney tagging you so you know where the new thread is! I'll be posting updates here from now on!
  • MrsRacooneyMrsRacooney Posts: 2,091 Member
    @MrsRacooney tagging you so you know where the new thread is! I'll be posting updates here from now on!

Thank you! :love: Glad to see you're starting over so soon!
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26

Thank you! :love: Glad to see you're starting over so soon!

I'm glad too! Although building anew is really testing my skills - if you have any tips for me, I'm all ears!
    @DeafSimmer
    Molpe has picked Septimus in every version of this story, but in this I was able to actually give a reason. And yes, she's quite unsure about being Queen. She comes from a relatively large tribe where her role was never going to be heiress, and where she was one of several princesses. However, she now holds the same title as her mother, who's a really impressive queen, so that holds a lot of weight and responsibility.
    Two new Amazons join the tribe!

The Arrivals (1.6)
    @DeafSimmer

They definitely have some tension that will be explored more in the next chapter. Molpe has indeed become pregnant, and I'm with you on looking forward to the child! And yep, they're mostly greek/roman names with a few exceptions.
  • SpectresValkyrieSpectresValkyrie Posts: 317 Member
    I missed Hesperia and went to go read it again. I also didn't say how much I enjoy it! So I'm going to do that now with chapter 1

I really like how it starts with not just Melop but her younger sister too as he ward! It adds an interesting dynamic. Listen to what her sister says but Melop's word is law. I also like how careful Melop is. She takes time to make a rational decision that best suits her and by extention her tribe/family. I love it. Her throne room is also beautiful.

It is a great read.
    ETagn5d.jpg
    Anikka is something. Suddenly losing everything, status and titles and friends. It can be upsetting I bet but still maybe a little bit spoiled. It can't be so bad atleast she has her big sister with her still. I feel for her and hope she can have someone a bit more understanding. Melop has a lot to worry about and might not realize the toll such a move can make on her little sister. What can be done?

I enjoy seeing the differences and similarities between Melop's and Pallas thoughts on children. For both it is duty but for one it is a great honor and the other its a celebration of new life. I can't help but wonder if Melops thoughts change when she has to send someone away. I do feel bad for Pallas, to say goodbye to his mother must have been difficult.
    ETagn5d.jpg
    @SpectresValkyrie

I just saw your comments! Thank you!

Anikka has grown up with all the luxuries of an established tribe, whereas the Hesperians will have to try and keep themselves afloat. Molpe has a lot of responsibility headed her way, and while Polgara is going to be there to help, it's still going to be difficult. I very much see Anikka as clinging to a different ideal of home rather than accepting that Hesperia is now her home and priority, because, well, she's a child.
    edited March 2021
    yay, new chapter!!
    I'm still not over how lovely Polgara is! She is pretty. I think Anikka's confinement, while harsh, has given her time to reflect on how she has acted. Moving and uprooting your life is never fun as a child but she hadn't made anything easier. I think Polgara will not only be good for Hesperia but for Anikka too.
    Post edited by SpectresValkyrie on
    ETagn5d.jpg
    I see you, Polgara :D
    Obviously, she has chosen (or inherited?) the right profession. She's great with kids and great with words, and of course she chose the foundation of Ouroboros very wisely as the first story to tell Anikka. A story about sisterly love and a later-born who succeeds and is remembered in her tribe with great admiration. Of course Anikka would soak that in. I'm very positive that Polgara can change Anikka's attitude toward being second-in-command and raise her to be a responsible, kind councelor at her sister's side.
    I'm honestly very impressed by the new provider :smiley: Also, the name "Ouroboros" is so melodious once you can pronounce it. It took three times for me but I'm in love with it now :D
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
    @SpectresValkyrie

Polgara's design took me some time. I wanted her to reflect both her old design and elements that I wanted to bring in - I wanted her to look open and friendly, and I definitely wanted her to be recognizable, but also to have beautiful curls.

Also, Polgara probably wouldn't have gone with such a harsh confinement, but under the circumstances it was the best that Molpe could do. She has been trained as a princess, not a Provider, and at times it definitely shows. Polgara will be able to do her best by Anikka, and I think that while the confinement is technically a punishment, having Polgara for a companion will be very good for Anikka.

@MrsRacooney

Polgara has always been very wise in choosing directions for the children she takes care of. She knows very well that at the moment Anikka must feel less important than she ever has in her life, and so she wants to reinforce some good ideals while impressing on her that she can be of use and be important to the tribe as well.

Ouroboros is one of those cool mythological creatures, and all the current tribes are named after myths. Sirena is named after Sirens, Hesperia after the Hesperids, Ouroboros after the snake that devours itself, and the Isle of Metis after Metis, mother of Athena and Zeus' first wife. Technically, Metis turned into a fly, but I think I've read translations where she's a bee, so that's where that comes from.
    Ouroboros is one of those cool mythological creatures, and all the current tribes are named after myths. Sirena is named after Sirens, Hesperia after the Hesperids, Ouroboros after the snake that devours itself, and the Isle of Metis after Metis, mother of Athena and Zeus' first wife. Technically, Metis turned into a fly, but I think I've read translations where she's a bee, so that's where that comes from.

Oooh, I see! I knew about the others but Ouroboros is new to me. He, even more fun! I must say I like your naming concept
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
    Is the Goethe family the Goths? I'm crying :D
    Wilhelmina is cute, wanting to write to Alexander. She doesn't have any idea of what a marriage is yet, and maybe it's good that way. If they agree, she can at least marry a friend then. I truly hope her sisters didn't destroy that for her (and that Alexander really IS a friend).
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
    @MrsRacooney

The Goethes are indeed the Goths!

Wilhelmina and Alexander are encouraged to write to each other, as the betrothal was all but official. However, she does know of marriage, just not of its application to her. She knows that all princesses are at some point married, and she knows that not getting married meant that Constantina had to leave.

Just for reference:

Antonia - Nina
    Constantina - Dina
    Caterina - Katrina
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Beautiful writing style! I am just getting started reading. I enjoyed this story very much.
    telemwill wrote: »
    Beautiful writing style! I am just getting started reading. I enjoyed this story very much.

Thank you! I hope you continue to enjoy the story!