Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Questions: Does anyone have any tips about what to dress a boy child in for 1980s? Because of the lack of child CC for Sims 4?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    ChrinnieChrinnie Posts: 982 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    Chrinnie wrote: »
    I have a question for everyone:

What got you into SimLit?

For me it was an EA blog post about pammiechick 's amazon challenge which I then started reading, then I started checking out other stories on the forums too and soon enough I was writing myself. An amazon challenge of course xD though I've tried other genres too since then. That was in 2015 or 2016 I think. Good ol days.

Sometimes I read simlit and said, "Hey, I can do that! A new creative outlet!" Then I tried it. It worked. Life went into the tank... hard drive crash, Mom's health went kaput, COVID days... and I just got back into it because I need a creative outlet. Granted, I'm not writing Shakespearean literature (just a casual, easy read kind of gameplay recap/sometime literature thing), but I still need a creative outlet.

@Chrinnie I get that! Reading SimLit has been a great past-time during covid when many activities I like doing outside are not possible. I'm not saying SimLit is a "second choice" I'll probably keep reading even after covid ends. But the quarantine is what brought me back to it :)

Well, I was writing one, but life turn a big turn... and eventually I wasn't able to keep up with anything, then COVID hit, then Mom's health failed and all that follows that, and COVID still goes on..... I decided I wanted to get back into it again. I like writing it. I like reading it. I think it adds to the overall gaming experience, too!
    Author of: The Rossi Legacy | The Inheritance
    mW8spBr.png
    Philadelphia raised, Las Vegas living, avid Sims 4 fan, all around nice guy (if you ask me LOL)
  • Options
    lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    Hesperia Anew (1.1)

I did it, guys, I rebooted DoH!
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    I have a question for the group:

How do you decide which sims stories to click on? What are you looking for? What grabs your interest spontaneously?

There's certain types of story, often guessable in the title, I prefer. Right now I like Decades Challenge stories as I like to see the pictures with period detail in them as well as reading historical stories. I like good writing; not just grammar but stories where characters seem well rounded and often identifiable with and the plot flows. I'm not into horror, vampire or fantasy fiction and when it comes to teen romance I prefer it if the teen characters are part of a wider story setting that features adult characters as well. I'm a simple soul when it comes to reading: Stories of everyone having it off with everyone else isn't my thing.

• Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Questions: Does anyone have any tips about what to dress a boy child in for 1980s? Because of the lack of child CC for Sims 4?

anyone have any suggestions for my two questions?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member

How do you decide which sims stories to click on? What are you looking for? What grabs your interest spontaneously?

I feel like there's so many forum threads especially legacies and between all the "The XYZ legacy" threads I'd find it hard to decide which stories I want to sample (not that I don't enjoy legacies but mostly the title is totally non-descript). The title plays a role of course but personally I also like to click on threads which are new or don't have many replies. Because it means I won't have much to catch up on if the story is good and I also like encouraging new writers. Stories which have many pages of replies usually deter me, because it's hard to catch up on long stories. Unless it's an author I know, it was recommended to me or it has a title that sounds so incredibly interesting that I ignore the number of pages but that's rare.

I like to at least read the beginning of “newbie” stories (from newcomers to veterans). If I like it and it’s Wordpress, I add it to my Reader. If it’s not, I click the star for the threaded discussion so I get notification on new posts.

But for the most part, it is SimLit from those I got to know within this great community.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member

I don't disagree with much of what's been said earlier today, though I think a lot of it for me is pure instinct from being a longtime simlit reader (a.k.a. complete genre and style biases most likely), and I'll sometimes open the most recent chapter of a story to know what I can expect beyond the first few chapters. I also like the use of preview images in links to chapters. If you're an average screenshot taker, it still helps your story stick out (so don't give up hope), and if you take excellent screenshots, now everyone knows that you do.
    I also read stories by friends. I think it's important to be supportive even if it's a genre or style than what I'd write. Especially if it's a different genre or style than I write. Those are the ones that I end up learning from and sometimes they are the ones that surprise me the most.

Haha I was almost afraid to say it. :pHowever, I have a very long list of contacts I would consider myself friendly with on some level. Plus, I also like to see what my friends are reading and recommending too. I trust their tastes.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Anyone have any suggestions how to dress boy children to make it repsent the 1980s because there isn't 1980s CC for children?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    another question (not related to clothing): How do I explain away that male is getting to be the new priest in the training of Enrichment religion? I guess because the eldest female is a Squib?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

The baker-Nunn has household is full of Muggles. But Cassandra is a Muggle-born. The Caletine (who married a son of the pancakes and since Elizabeth Pancakes became a spellcaster, all her children became spellcasters (but her husband wasn't) so that one of the Calentines' children became spellcasters and one of the two twins in this generation is also a spellcaster (her twin is allgeric to Magic). Their uncle married the Ember Ford so that they have 3 children: Lia (Squib?), Jonathan (magical) and Morgan (magical- but is a toddler). And I using a mod, to have the current Anneorine Priestess-in training to be both a mermaid and a spellcaster. The Dad's a merman
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

I feel like there's so many forum threads especially legacies and between all the "The XYZ legacy" threads I'd find it hard to decide which stories I want to sample (not that I don't enjoy legacies but mostly the title is totally non-descript). The title plays a role of course but personally I also like to click on threads which are new or don't have many replies. Because it means I won't have much to catch up on if the story is good and I also like encouraging new writers. Stories which have many pages of replies usually deter me, because it's hard to catch up on long stories. Unless it's an author I know, it was recommended to me or it has a title that sounds so incredibly interesting that I ignore the number of pages but that's rare.

For me it comes down to at least having interactions with the writer. Doesn't have to be a huge bromance on the forums kind of thing, but at least friendly convo and noticing the advert in the siggy is enough to get me to click and read. I will admit I'm apt to read a story that isn't 50 chapters into itself already. The earlier I can get into the story, the easier it'll be for me to keep following it. If I hit up one that already well developed, I find it daunting to play catch-up while trying to avoid spoilers.
    mW8spBr.png
    Philadelphia raised, Las Vegas living, avid Sims 4 fan, all around nice guy (if you ask me LOL)
  • Options
    edited February 2021

anyone have any suggestions for my two questions?

That's a bit of a poser. I'm a child of the 80s (yes, I'm ancient). I haven't really been able to find much for 80s kids in CC either. What I will say is that like all decades, the previous decade's trends continue for the first few years until the new decade begins to define itself. Depending on when you're doing it in the 1980s, you could get away with 70s clothing if you're placing it between 1980 and say 1983. After that, it starts to change. The 80s are actually tough because fashion really did strange things in the 1980s. I'd say if you at least make it a bit "out there" then you're kind of on the right track. Madonna, Michael Jackson... pop stars set the trends. Kids follow those trends. Look up the 1980s TV show called Punky Brewster. I know Peacock is remaking that, but this was a definite 80s show. Miami Vice is another good 80s genre TV show to look at. Early episodes of Saved By The Bell, My Two Dads, the original Beverly Hills 90210, and Growing Pains.
    Yeah, some are adult show, but child fashion in the 80s followed the adults to a degree.

I also remember acid-wash jeans, too! LOL This is a good pic to start with
    Sadly, I have no ideas about your second question.
    mW8spBr.png
  • Options
    Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    edited February 2021

I click on pretty banners. I'm shallow like that. :smirk:
    I admit can forgive a lot of imperfections (but not too many) if a great deal of effort is put into picture editing and posing.
    I always at least try to check stories my readers write. It's a polite thing to do.
    Another criteria for me to read a story at all is how well organized the site is. I really can't be bothered to search for the beginning of the story and the following chapters. If your chapters aren't linked well and the chapter index is nowhere to be found, I'm sorry, but you've lost me.
    My eyesight is not what it used to be, so I can't be bothered to read a tiny font and look at all colors of rainbow and flashing logos and such stuff. You put it on your site - you've lost me.
    I'm looking for action in stories, characters in peril, intelligent antagonists that are as interesting as the protagonists. I'm looking for non-black-and-white characters.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    another question (not related to clothing): How do I explain away that male is getting to be the new priest in the training of Enrichment religion? I guess because the eldest female is a Squib?

Hi, @MadameLee ! I think for your 80s boy wardrobe question that jeans and a t-shirt would work!

I'm not sure I understand the priest question.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

Hi, @MadameLee ! I think for your 80s boy wardrobe question that jeans and a t-shirt would work!

Starting with Gen 1 of the Enrichment and Anneorine leaders/households- Katrina Ford and her husband, and Charity Ford and her husband . Katrina Ford and her husband were magical and for Charity her husband was magical. Now for both households, their descendants are magical.

Normally I have females inherited both lines of "priesthood". But the eldest female child (teenager), Lia Ford of the current Ford household does not have magic. Her brother Jonathan does and their little sister (toddler) Morgan, are both magical, both of their parents are magical as is their ancestry. So how do I explain away that it's her brother, not her who gets to be the next person to lead the Enrichment "religion"?

Do I just say that in Harry Potter terms she's a Squib?

@CathyTea does my question make sense now about the priestess business?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    I'm really enjoying the rebooted version of Hesperia. It's fun to write, and if I get frustrated with it, I can go play my legacy game! Three of Hearts is going to be a bit harder though, especially as I've still not got an idea for the next chapter. I want to be able to play it out slowly.
  • Options
    I'm really enjoying the rebooted version of Hesperia. It's fun to write, and if I get frustrated with it, I can go play my legacy game! Three of Hearts is going to be a bit harder though, especially as I've still not got an idea for the next chapter. I want to be able to play it out slowly.

I'm enjoying it, too. Your writing is beautiful.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

Starting with Gen 1 of the Enrichment and Anneorine leaders/households- Katrina Ford and her husband, and Charity Ford and her husband . Katrina Ford and her husband were magical and for Charity her husband was magical. Now for both households, their descendants are magical.

Normally I have females inherited both lines of "priesthood". But the eldest female child (teenager), Lia Ford of the current Ford household does not have magic. Her brother Jonathan does and their little sister (toddler) Morgan, are both magical, both of their parents are magical as is their ancestry. So how do I explain away that it's her brother, not her who gets to be the next person to lead the Enrichment "religion"?

Do I just say that in Harry Potter terms she's a Squib?

@CathyTea does my question make sense now about the priestess business?

Yes! It makes sense! And I think an easy way to explain is to simply state that because the line must fall to a magical heir, it fell to the son, since the daughter lacked magic.

• Options
    I'm been watching/listening to a blind Canadian youtube for some months now (well over one month) and I learned about braille in a video I watched yesterday from last year. Today in the Canadian newspaper (The Star)- there was an article about how blind children aren't learning braille anymore or learn it late. Now due to the said reason last year there was a Braille challenge but there were two problems with the article (well one wasn't the article but in two pictures of one of the contestants in the challenge)

the one mistake was when it was talking about the Brailler it said there were six keys and two were a spacebar. That's incorrect there's only is one spacebar and one of the keys is similar to what sighted folks would consider an enter key. The other problem is that in the two pictures of one constant who kept being mentioned throughout the article, she was reading braille with all her finger tips when she should only be using her two index fingers to read.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    myace bandage came off. no not quite healed . i think aydens bored cause when i got hurt i had to stop playing. so gonna try today.
  • Options

I'm enjoying it, too. Your writing is beautiful.

Thank you so much! I'm going to use the time I have at the moment to really work out the story and get things into place. It's so fun, because I know where I want to go with it right now, so I can really plan things out for once.
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    How's everyone doing today?

I've been playing my Legacy Challenge (two toddlers, what a mess!) and also been working on a hand-sewn gift for a friend.
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited February 2021
    How's everyone doing today?

Doing great, thanks! Our dog adoption has been finalised, and I'm pretty excited to be a dog mom :D
    How are you doing?
  • Options
    @BlackUndecimber Congrats on adopting a dog. I bet the dog is gonna be a fun addition to your household.
    @lilypadmeulin Toddlers can be messy sometimes, both in-game and in real life (I don't have a toddler, but my sister does). It's nice that you're working on a hand-sewn gift for a friend.

It's a blanket - they're hoping to get married next year and I'm really excited to make them something so personal and beautiful! It's very muted and natural.

@BlackUndecimber

Congratulations! I hope you and your pupper have a lot of fun getting to know each other!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top