Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What was your favourite base game update in 2020?

Last year we saw a good amount of base game updates. What was your favourite?

What was your favourite base game update in 2020? 59 votes

Firefighter npc
3%
ACruelButLovingGodImagebear 2 votes
Repo person npc
0%
Ladders
6%
EnkiSchmidtValeahRememberJoySallycutecat 4 votes
Inventory new organization
8%
PlayerSinger2010Cary1213StrawberryYogurtlogionizecson 5 votes
Platforms
13%
CynnaAnmirlarh2006fankaiwrysimsSimAlexandriaDragonmasterleoPandorrax4RoseBud_Sims 8 votes
Sentiments
35%
dzidziak86simgirl1010fruitsbasket101ToriexXPandoraXxBabykittyjadeannaliese39texxx7883bienchenHermitgirlBreazonaSheepilingcomicsforlifeKimmerEllupelluelluMeowchaFrappeCalico45LT24BookBearmelsim 21 votes
Skin tones updates
22%
mitchiebanjoClassicalSimOnversercalipossHearts4uCattyBetsyInuMiroLoverDuskregnSERVERFRASimmerGeorgesimcreator529TARDISgradehoneybxlissims 13 votes
M.A.C cosmetics
0%
Other
10%
CAPTAIN_NXR7Nikkei_SimmerChicklet453681CangwenUmbreon12VeeDub 6 votes

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited February 2021
    Sentiments
    I really appreciate the firefighters and repo NPCs coming back. Inventory organization was also great, though I would really like to be able to type in quantities again instead of clicking and this was a perfect time to add it (it is currently 2nd place to me).

However, sentiments are my top update. Anything that makes relationships more dynamic is great. I admit, they seem a little random sometimes, but life is random.

Just to mention the skin tone update, I did appreciate it. However, I have had some problems with it. Beyond having to change the blush for every Sim that used it prior (seriously), the makeup sliders will not work for me. I guess they are not available for some of the makeup, but in that case much more are not available than those that are in my experience. Add that to other voices mentioning that those things are still broken and it just needs more work.

*Edit*
    Oh, and ladders were neat, but they break laundry and trash routing in all my builds. I have to keep ladder areas either out of the route completely or build their own ecosystem. It even sometimes affects dining routing. Plus I noticed fear and ladders do not really like each other with all the ladder animation interruptions in my haunted house, leading to even more dining routing problems.

(Starving sim with plate in hand decides he wants to eat at the downstairs table and starts going down the ladder only to get spooked. Proceeds to teleport/reset next to the ladder, plate now on the floor. Now instead of picking up the plate, he complains about his low hunger need and proceeds to queue up a grab-a-quick-meal.)

Of course, stairs are still broken, so hopefully a fix gets them both.
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    Ladders
    I didn't realise how much use I have for ladders until I got one. They're very useful for attic spaces, and basements and any place where you need to have a way of getting to the next level, but have no room for stairs. I really like that Sims can slide down the ladders.

Platforms are a very close second, but there are some bugs with them at the moment. Nothing major and can easily be worked around, but still annoying and should be fixed. Except for the bug the update caused for my stairs. I can not have a mezzanine floor since Sims can not use the stairs if I do that.

I'm happy they added the firefighter and Repo man NPCs. I avoid fires and it's much more reasuring to know that if one starts a firefighter will put it out for me. The Repo man makes an entertaining game of seeing what he will take if I don't pay the bills.

Sentiments are a nice addition, but there are some things with them that need to be fixed. Sims should not get a "closer from happy memories" sentiment with a Sim they just met. Also toddlers and their parents shouldn't be holding grudges against eachother just because the toddler was defiant one day.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Skin tones updates
    1. Skin Tones
    2. Sentiments
    3. Ladders
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Other
    The stuff from the Hispanic Month celebration update (I forgot exactly what that update was called), especially the pergola.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Sentiments
    Really really love what this added to my game as well as platforms 🧡
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Skin tones updates
    The skin tones update, but for the sliders rather than the tones. We would never have gotten the sliders mod without it and that's an essential for me now.

I feel like platforms is one of those things that was fun for five minutes and then the appeal died, I used them in every build on release but I honestly haven't touched them since. Firefighters were a nice idea as well, but they're pretty useless as it takes longer to call them and have them arrive than it does to just put it out yourself.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Other
    Platforms. Ladders. Sentiments. Skin tones. Scared Emo.
    I also like some of the Hispanic items!

I believe there was something else....but I've forgotten...
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,875 Member
    Sentiments
    Liked a lot of other things too, but this the most.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Sentiments
    Sentiments followed closely by inventory organization. Totally forgot about ladders. I really love the idea of platforms but find them difficult to use and adjust in homes I download. I think I've used the new CAS once to adjust my sim's makeup. My sims always pay their bills on time so I haven't had a chance to meet the repo man and I haven't had a fire but I did call once just to check it out.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Skin tones updates
    Skin tones, Platforms and Sentiments in that order. Once the skin update was out, I tossed out all my dark skin cc and I havent felt any need to put it back in the game. One of the best BG updates overall (and BADLY needed) if you ask me.
  • Pandorrax4Pandorrax4 Posts: 725 Member
    Platforms
    Since seeing what really can be done with platforms, I'm super grateful to have those. It has made such an aesthetic change to so many of my buildings.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Sentiments
    I like to see the sentiments they have now, it influences my gameplay more often than I thought it would. Then probably inventory organization, it's easy to forget about because it happened earlier in the year and I'm already use to it, but for selling it's especially helpful. Then skin tones since I use the sliders.
    The rest I'm grateful for but I don't use or see them on a day to day basis when playing my sims.

For this year my answer is already fear. I can think of other base game additions that I hope and will be thrilled to get but nope, can't top that for me. Now I just hope all packs in the future build on it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Other
    My favorite update was the free window placement, allowing us to move them off the grid.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Skin tones updates
    Sentiments would have been my favorite if they were executed better.

I chose skintones cause they really brought a lot of customization, not only for skins but also make-up.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,109 Member
    I didn't vote because I couldn't decide between sentiments and platforms. They were both awesome additions :)
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    Other
    I voted other, I like all the updates, except for the M.A.C update.
    I like skin tones the most out of the updates, though, because we can make our own skin tone when using the sliders, which when you save, the games will keep.
    I like sentiments, because it feels more real when your Sims interact and gain something from it. Before, the relationships seemed kind of bland, making the Sims come off as bland.
    I like having the Firefighters back, and I like what was added to the base game, it feels much more complete now.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    Other
    Mac 64bit update for Sims 3. :D:mrgreen: It at least allowed Mac players to play a good game again. :mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    Other
    Staircase customization

That being said, I appreciate any update that improves the game overall.
    Sorry about the rhyme.
  • GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 34 Member
    Sentiments
    Sentiments! I wasn't too keen on them when they were first announced, but they've quickly become a feature I don't want to live without! I like how sims don't necessarily need to share sentiments as well. I think that's realistic and it makes for some interesting storytelling.

For example, my married Sim had no sentiments towards Raj, but he developed A LOT of sentiments towards her. He felt close towards her, he liked her jokes, etc. It was honestly really cute seeing him become so enamored with her. She eventually started gaining sentiments about him and when she drifted away from her husband, Raj is the sim she married.

I would've NEVER pursued that line of storytelling otherwise.