Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Neighbours letting themselves in?

RadioAChickenRadioAChicken Posts: 163 Member
I recently bought Eco Lifestyle, Snowy Escape and more recently Paranormal stuff but I'm only just getting around to playing with the world that came with Eco Lifestyle and wondered if this was a bug or a feature? My Sim's neighbours keep turning up and letting themselves in without knocking. They don't have a key.
I thought the new no tresspassing option on the door was to stop them knocking in the first place but if you allow visitors then they should knock and wait before coming in or am I misunderstanding this feature? Is it because it's a haunted residential lot instead of a standard one?

It's getting really annoying when my Sim is eating breakfast and a lady who he has barely spoken to just walks in and makes herself comfortable and I can't seem to ask her to leave. I'm making my Sim scream incoherently at them because it's cathartic at this point. XD
iscQh5U.png

Comments

• Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I’m getting this too, it’s an ongoing bug I think. I have all of those packs too, so I’m not sure if it relates to any of them specifically. I keep having neighbors barge in to get drinks of water, and they leave them all over my house. I’m playing in the Snowy escape world, and they keep making snowpals everywhere, and snow angels in my fenced in yard. I have a mod that makes them leave immediately, which I’ve been using because the “send home” option isn’t showing on them for me either.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited February 2021
    I think I can narrow it down to either Paranormal or Snowy Escape (more precisely, the world Mt. Komorebi) being the cause. I bought Paranormal on Sunday and have been playing with two families since, one in Newcrest and one in Mt. Komorebi. The latter constantly had people coming in uninvited, including the postman who, after doing his thing with my mailbox, would always come in through the front door, leave through the back door and carry on from there. But since yesterday was the first time I played with a family living in Mt. Komorebi, I can't tell if that's normal for that world or caused by Paranormal somehow.

As for NPCs excessively making snowpals and snow angels on or near my family's lot, I've seen that, too, but only in Mt. Komorebi. Then again, it wasn't winter when I played with the family in Newcrest, so I'm not entirely sure. But I've had Eco Lifestyle for about half a year and never experienced anything like that before yesterday, and there aren't any NAPs active in the neighbourhood that would encourage such behaviour, so I don't think it's related to that pack.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Hm, of the packs mentioned I own only ECO Lifestyle and Paranormal. I have not seen this in my game, so my guess is that it might be the Snowy Escape. I played only 5-6 houses after installing Paranormal though.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited February 2021
    I have Snowy Escape installed, just haven't lived there yet. It is/was a bug that may have came with Island Living (it happened all the time when my sim lived there). I hadn't noticed it lately though.

I just have my sim live in Newcrest and when the bug was active back then, I just removed the front door and put up a door frame (like you use for hallways). No sim came in or stepped on the property. They would stand on the sidewalk and eventually walk away if you didn't go there to talk to them :D No hit on relationships either. I play a single sims, so in order for the door frame to work, I had to replace all doors with door frames in the house or they would walk in and knock on the bathroom door :D

ETA: The door frames didn't affect the weather in seasons either, as long as there was a roof over their head and walls. Don't know if that changed though, haven't played that way in a while.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    It's funny because I have the problem in Sulani, only people swim up to my sims' deck, climb out, walk through the house and out the front door, annoying, but kinda funny too. :D Sulani is the only place it happens though.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    This only happen when my sims live in Sulani, I keep getting someone with vampiric run from the edge of the street dash running to my upstair bedroom to use computer.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    I think this came with Eco lifestyles. When living in Evergreen Harbor I have neighbours constantly coming in and I can't send them home or ask them to leave. They bring their entire family sometimes and just hang out and eat my food.
    I also see this if I live in Mt Komerebi.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    This happened to me back when i only had the base game, i think. Strangers would just waltz in to use the bathroom. I thought it was meant to be one of the quirks of this game XD
  • Options
    MirkaKaroliinaMirkaKaroliina Posts: 147 Member
    It only started happening in my game after I got Snowy Escape and it really is annoying D:
    cha cha cha
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It's been happening in my game too.
  • Options
    readerbug2readerbug2 Posts: 31 Member
    I have most of the packs, as well, but I've noticed this mostly in San Myshuno. People just waltz into my apartment like they own the place, grab a drink, and use the bathroom. I can't even send them home! So rude.
  • Options
    estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    I just had this bug earlier. I had to literally close my game, because I was so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 at this. This is NOT funny, I only had a few hours to play and instead of playing the game, I was looking for a way to salvage my save file. Why didn't Maxis address this concern before? Instead of playing the game I paid for, I have to troubleshoot.
  • Options
    ForEmaleighForEmaleigh Posts: 33 Member
    SAME! They come in, sit on the couch or stand around.....only when I “invite in” do they behave like a guest. They come INSIDE and wait for someone to “answer the door”. It’s weird.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    This is getting extreme in my game. One household in San Myshuno had a sudden stream of sims break in uninvited, all were strangers who my sims never met and yet they had the audacity to go upstairs even. Is it like a city thing? XD This never happened this way before. Something similar happened to another sim in another hood but the intruding sims stayed outside at least.

It is getting very annoying, any suggestions to stop it if it is not a bug?
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I’m using a wonderful mod that allows you to force any Sim to leave almost immediately. I especially need to use it when I do things like changing university housing to regular residential. Students keep wandering in, but they are shunned! :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I can usually get unwelcome intruders to leave via MCCC, but on the rare occasions when even that doesn't work, those fools generally end up in a mysterious fatal incident involving fire or electricity.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,878 Member
    I feel like this does happen more in San Myshuno than elsewhere. Keeping the door locked is helpful.

• Options
    MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    If neighbors are still coming uninvited, I'm gonna have to craft a servo. I have no qualms about sims getting the shock of their lives.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Played a family in Oasis Springs the other day and experienced this problem.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    I've had it happen at San Myshuno. I too use a mod to get the intruders leave immediately.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Use the door settings.
    The only thing that doesn't work on is the mascot in Snowy Escape, he ignors all rules and just comes in and cooks. Because bugs.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Lisamango0Lisamango0 Posts: 150 Member
    Hm. I don't have the paranormal pack yet, but further I own every pack mentioned.

I got this while playing in San Myshuno, neighbours keep coming in, without even knowing my sim.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Lisamango0 wrote: »
    Hm. I don't have the paranormal pack yet, but further I own every pack mentioned.

I got this while playing in San Myshuno, neighbours keep coming in, without even knowing my sim.

Click on the door. There are options for blocking Vampires, Neighbors, Solicitors (aka Welcome Wagon etc) and more.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    This has been an issue for quite some time... Personally, I refer to it as the "squatters" bug. In my opinion it is one of the most problematic and intrusive issues in the game, and needs to immediately make its way to the top of EA's laundry list.

I've read in many places that it is somehow connected to Island Living, but I think the roommate system must be involved somehow as well since the sims in question act like they're roommates in the household and don't have the "ask sim to leave" social option. As a rotational player, I can assure you that it happens in every world of the game. Some things I've noticed is that these sims tend to show up if you have extra unclaimed beds in your house, but this isn't a hard and fast rule either and sometimes they'll show up when there aren't extra beds either. I've also noticed that sometimes, the sims showing up are aliens, but again, that isn't always the case.

Typically, if you travel to another lot, and then return to your home, they will usually be gone, but it doesn't take long for a new different random townie to show up and start squatting on your lot.

The door locks mentioned by @Beardedgeek are really the only work around that I've been able to find; however, even at that, if a sim thinks they're moving into your house, even after you've locked your door, they'll still stick around and live in your backyard for an extended period of time before finally leaving.

The door locks, while they solve the problem, are still kind of annoying because you have to unlock your door every time an invited guest comes over in order to let them in, lock it again once they're inside to keep others out, and then unlock it to let them leave, and lock it again afterwards... Frankly, its kind of annoying and we shouldn't have to do all that to solve the problem. It's also annoying as a rotational player, as if I forget to unlock the door before switching households, I can't visit that lot with another family because I've left the doors locked. This was a problem the other day when my paranormal investigator had an assignment at a house where I'd left the doors locked and I couldn't get in to do my job!
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I've only noticed in the San Myshuno apartments.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie