Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Online

Oh how I wish sims online could be a things once again

Comments

• LiverickLiverick Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2021
    Some people think that this could not work very well, I agree in parts. I mean, I still want a world that I can fully customize. It would be strange to have my house and next door a completely crazy or bizarre aesthetic. If you understand me. But a partially online game would go very well!

The other day I played The Sims 4 online with my friend through that mod and it was a really fun experience! I used traces of a lot that I don’t usually use, interactions that I wouldn’t use under any circumstances because I always build positive and non-negative stories ... So I agree that allowing our sims to be visited by our friends or vice versa would be a good way to create an experience that was neither invasive nor unpleasant. So it's easy to manipulate and have control over what happens in each person's game, without any kind of negative situation.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited February 2021
    It's possible to play the original Sims Online released around 2002-2003.

I've played it and I can tell you it's nothing special. At first, it's super cool that you can have a Sim in a multiplayer environment with their job, lot, furniture, etc., but the novelty wears off extremely fast. Especially when you realize you're basically just sitting there watching them skill up, stuck in normal speed, constantly. You begin to realize it's nothing like a traditional Sims game at all, and it's pretty much not fun at all.

They originally were going to make TS4 an online experience and the developers working on it admitted it wasn't fun at all. All of that mess cost TS4 immensely, and set back its potential so much.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I remember it was just chatting while skilling up and earning money. Most people didn't spend time at their house lots, but instead on other people's lots that had many skill objects. If you wanted other people to hang out at your lot you had to provide activities and skill objects. Otherwise there was not much to do.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    The Sims Online was a grind fest. I really can't like grind fests. I have played many grind fest games, however, none multiplayer, as I took a look around The Sims Online at the time. It was filled with players' Sims and they were not even on line, but had left their Sims there to skill up. That is all it was. Some players liked it because they formed little cliques between themselves. I can't stand cliques, so yeah, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. I'm not into factions, and on line monopolies.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    Sims Online was for cults and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 people. No thank you!
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    No Thank you.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    aujineh wrote: »

Have you tried Second Life? It's a virtual world, like giant chat rooms and you control an avatar that represents you. You can chat with other "real life" people either in local chat, private messaging or voice chat.

There is no goal to it tho, it's not techincally a "game". It's more like a virtual socialization. But you can build and shop and "do stuff".
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    No, non, nyet, nein...
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited February 2021
    If you ask me, it's not worth trading away features like open world, create a world, create a style just so I can see other players or interact with them in limited ways.

You can try the sims4 multiplayer mod, if you are curious what the sims4 could have turned into if they hadn't stopped trying to make it multiplayer. Or watch the videos where James Turner and Dr Gluon is playing it.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    For me it will be the end of The Sims franchise if that happens.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    aujineh wrote: »

That would just put the franchise in a grave to me. I play offline 99.9% of the time now, only going for updates or to save special lots/families to the gallery to unclutter my library.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nope, It's a no for me. Single players games are becoming a rare breed these days and gaming companies want every game to be online/multiplayer. We've tried this dance multiple times before and just doesn't work, it has flopped/failed each time and with ea's history of poor of online servers, crashing, loading issues, loot boxes, microtransactions- it won't survive long. Can you really imagine having to pay for cas items or visit someone's lot? Best believe you will be paying out pocket for something to make up the expenses while being online/ playing multiplayer. Ea isn't going to hand that option/feature for free without a cost attached to it. Most people don't even feel comfortable talking to strangers online and you can't count on your friends being available to play online all the time either. But if they do for whatever reason make it multiplayer/online then do it but just keep as optional. Games like Mario party and among us work for multiplayer but not so much the sims.
    giphy.gif

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    It may be possible now but on an experimental basis as the tech back then was rushed and for this to work EA/Maxis has to really take their time as they admitted they rushed it w/o thinking.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    What kind of havoc is it going to cause in the community especially the Twitter-verse when adult players are having their sims flirt and woohoo with the sims of minors, seriously 😐. Talk about a grooming opportunity for less than savory characters. I think it’s a terrible idea and I want no part of it.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited February 2021
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    It may be possible now but on an experimental basis as the tech back then was rushed and for this to work EA/Maxis has to really take their time as they admitted they rushed it w/o thinking.

I don't think it's just the tech that's the problem, the very nature of the Sims is basically a canvas for a player's creativity... Making it online, negates that by default.
    raw
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2021
    Evil_One wrote: »

I don't think it's just the tech that's the problem, the very nature of the Sims is basically a canvas for a player's creativity... Making it online, negates that by default.

I can understand that but looking at Sims 4, for me the creativity level has been reduced, I still wouldn't mind it on an experimental level or even if it was LAN to LAN play.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    edited February 2021
    Ha ha please no. I didn't have a very good video card when I played it and still remember another sim trying to chat up mine but mine was frozen then 🐸🐸🐸🐸 itself. I was (in real life) laughing so hard I almost peed my pants. The other players were getting 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off. Obviously was not a game for me.

*peed
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »

I can understand that but looking at Sims 4, for me the creativity level has been reduced, I still wouldn't mind it on an experimental level or even if it was LAN to LAN play.

The issue with such online games is that there is very little gameplay left. You control one sim, you have socials, but you decide which one to use, so the sim becomes nothing more than an avatar. If you want that there is Second Life, you create avatars, buildings and you can chat to other players. Anyway, with that one sim that you're playing then you'll need to earn your money and your skills at very slow grinding pace or you could buy them from a store for extra money. No cheats and collaboration will depend on your social skills and interacting with other players, some of them will be nice and some will be trolls. There will be very little room for creativity.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited February 2021
    Looking how the sims community is at the moment and how shocking is the reality, an online game will turn The Sims franchise in a dangerous environment. I can already see things like 🐸🐸🐸🐸 rooms and other crazy stuff if mods are possible, if not it would take another big slice of this franchise away (custom content). I just see problems after problems with an online game and that's why I think it would be the end of The Sims. If people want those games we already have SecondLife, Roblox, Habbo, etc...
    The Sims 4 gallery is already problematic sometimes