Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Edit and Play TS2 Movies in Windows 10? Temp Solution Update

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited January 2021 in The Sims 2
As many might know I'm a big machinima fan and for years have made my own shorts for TS2. Some were on Youtube for TS2 and TS3 and many were simply for fun and my own entertainment. However, I have found the Video Editor in Windows 10 is a horrible program unlike the Movie Makers of XP, Vista and etc. since it won't even let me see an .AVI file to edit and keeps saying I need an extension to run the file or even edit it. I assume this is a codec problem with the old VP6 vs the VP9 Windows 10 uses? (Which is probably not backward compatible in that video editor).

I could convert all my TS2 'movies' to a different type but that would be a huge work load as I do have a video editor converter in my old W7 pc if I can get into it and put them all back in and then convert them to MP4 or something.

Question for those of you like making your own stories and videos with TS2 movie clips you film inside the game what Video or Movie Maker are you using to do this since the one is Windows 10 or even for free download is a horrible app and doesn't even let me see it let alone edit it or make a story from them. (I did search the web first to solve this problem but none of the answers fit the .AVI files of TS2 movies. Most the answers were about files needed you can get for free, to edit in 10 from an iPhone video). Questions were like what type of AVI file is it? All I know about that is TS2 used the VP6 and VP7 codecs to film while playing in the game when you click the V. lol Any other type of avi file is not known to me to even get any help.

What type of movie maker are others using to make a story from the TS2 .avi files?
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
Post edited by Cinebar on

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2021
    Well, I guess there isn't an answer to this problem with TS2UC and Windows 10. :/ I tried every free download Video Editor on the internet almost, lol, and none of them will play the TS2 Movie files or edit them. I even tried a few trial offers to pay later, and none of those will run or edit the .avi files in the game. This is just one of many reasons (removal of a decent video editor) about Windows 10 that I sorely dislike. I even watched Youtube videos that said I could install older MS programs like Movie Maker 2.6 (Vista) which actually works on Win7 in my old pc, but it won't show the video .avi file in the view pane in that program in 10 nor save after one trial run of a test video project. And nor will the Windows Essential old Movie Maker anymore work on Wind10 for these type .avi files. Just in case anyone sees this thread, don't bother downloading anything from the MS store or what is recommended on YT because none of it works. If you run across one that says it can play or edit .AVI files it means DV-AVI not the type of .avi files in the TS2 movies.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited January 2021
    I tried everything from MS Win10 that would not play or preview the TS2 movie >AVI files. So I couldn't make any Sim movies to edit. I solved this by installing the older Windows Movie Maker 2.6 (for Vista) however none of the compatible settings worked until I set it to run in XP in Windows 10. The problem with that is the videos will show up in the preview pane, but if you don't mute the sound of the TS2 movie you won't be able to see them to edit them etc. Also, this might just be a problem on my pc since if I mute and unmute then I can see them in the preview pane. I assume this has something to do with any kind of sound software I have installed. It is also important to note if you do use MM2.6 if you don't like any of the new stuff for free that has less features than the older MMakers by MS or anyone else, then make sure in Properties I mean Options in the program, you untick any other codecs that don't start with the version number like 6.1xxxxx etc. Solved for now, til I find a better movie maker that has all the bells and whistles MS used to offer. It may be an old program but it has many features none of the free stuff nor the MS new Photos Video Editor in 10 offers.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    edited January 2021
    Did you try Davinci Resolve? It’s a powerful editor and has a free version with very few limitations. Version 16 and after converts avi files. Aleo, did you consider using another screen capture besides the one in Sims 2? OBS is really good.
    edited January 2021
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    Did you try Davinci Resolve? It’s a powerful editor and has a free version with very few limitations. Version 16 and after converts avi files. Aleo, did you consider using another screen capture besides the one in Sims 2? OBS is really good.

Are those on the MS store or do I need to go to their websites? Never heard of them. Yeah, playback of my Sim movies are not that great on Win10 I assume it doesn't like the old VP6 codec used in TS2 to capture video in the game as they don't look as great as they did in Win7. I might need both the OBS and the Resolve thingy. Lot of issues with Wind10 and lack of programs that used to make the OS worth $200 or so. ETA: As far as the OBS software, I'm not looking for software that allows me to broadcast live or anything. I just want to continue my silly machinima stories. lol (Yes, they are pretty silly usually for my own entertainment most of the time).
    Davinci Resolve is an editor like Windows Movie Maker except much more advanced in what it can do. This is the download for Davinci Resolve.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

When you click on the download button choose Davinci Resolve 16 (unless you want the paid studio version). Version 17 is new and still in beta so a little risky.

OBS can be used for streaming but I've never used it that way. It's a good free screen capture program. You can set it up to maximize for recording your screen instead of streaming.

https://obsproject.com/

Do you put your stories on YouTube?
    edited February 2021
    Thank you for the links and information. In the meantime I tried Fraps but it records the UI and wasn't any better than the in game video camera recording. I will try that other program you mentioned. Yeah, sometimes I do, but since Youtube was purchased by Google and they changed the viewer then as you know any older games like TS2's videos look pretty horrible now on Youtube. It's best to view my machinimas in a smaller viewer more in line with the resolutions for older games. But yeah, I have a bunch of stuff on there for over eight to ten years. Rarely clean it out, lol, but removed a lot of TS2 stuff off there years ago when I was doing it for TS3 and TS4 but since it's hard to sign in now that Google purchased Youtube and changed sign in options on me. lol I wasn't using it enough in the last several years (3) to stay current I guess. But a lot of my stuff is still one there. My problems with Windows 10 are numerous and I don't especially care for this video card by Nvidia so yeah I see all sorts of video issues with this machine. Sorry to ramble, but I really do miss my older pc that broke down recently had to switch to something newer and it has it's own problems along with Windows 10 OS glorified downloader OS. (I see a big difference in quality from Win7 to Win10 and ATI video card to a Nvidia card). You can check out some of my stuff if you would like to see some, at Wndy10010TS2 on Youtube. Note some of what's on there was recorded on diff machines so quality varies.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    totally not sim related but i hear you with the windows 10 movie maker system. It sucks. like you can't even add music nor edit the music to play for part of the video. plus honestly, it should be able to read all kinds of files, not just MPV 4.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
    edited March 2021
    totally not sim related but i hear you with the windows 10 movie maker system. It sucks. like you can't even add music nor edit the music to play for part of the video. plus honestly, it should be able to read all kinds of files, not just MPV 4.

Well, I guess my machinima days are over. I just noticed the other day, I have another problem: my 'windows 10' pc is having the same issues my Windows 7 pc started to have when I record with the in game camera for clips for a Sim story or movie. The Nvidia card in this newer pc is displaying the same crazy graphic problems my old pc was doing. Like when I play back a clip so I can decide to add it to a Sim story/movie I see this horrible lines flash now and then like radio interference or something when playing back a clip. Imagine some radio call in game and imagine the scene then has these little lines (as if someone is talking) of all different colors go off and on during play back.

This started happening in my Win7 machine and I thought it was the video card wearing out and or some other graphic problem or becuase the fan on the mother board was giving out and why I had to buy a new pc because I was afraid I was going to burn out the motherboard etc.

It had a mid grade card by ATI R7. This machine has a newer Nvidia card and now it starts doing the same thing in Sim video playback. I don't see those 'radio signals' while playing the game, only when I play back any Sim clip I recorded and play back to watch.

I have no idea how to solve this problem, I have even tried to adjust anti-aliasing but that hasn't helped. I assume this happened after some forced Windows 10 update as it wasn't a problem when I first reinstalled the game into a new pc with Win 10 and set the Graphics Rule Maker. :s

Some days I could just go ahead and break my screen. lol Let alone curse Win 10 for all the missing utilities and programs we used to have included (no third party) in the OS.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    You can check out some of my stuff if you would like to see some, at Wndy10010TS2 on Youtube. Note some of what's on there was recorded on diff machines so quality varies.

I didn't see this post! I found you on YT and subscribed.

There are a lot of simmers who still do machinima with TS2 and it looks amazing. Here is a link to a machinima contest site. On the front page is a link to their discord server. Join that and I bet there are some there who can help you solve your Sims 2 recording problems.

https://theplumbbobawards.com/wp/
    Okay watching your video I see what you mean about the different sized viewer in YouTube.
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    Okay watching your video I see what you mean about the different sized viewer in YouTube.

Yes, that too. I hadn't posted anything in a long time and went back to Youtube one day to notice they had changed the viewer sizes, I guess for HD personal films etc. and now any TS2 machinima I had done looks horrible. But great on my pc. (graphics) (smaller viewer) Totally a horrible experience.