Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DeanXeL's Basegame Builds and building tips/building around glitches :)

DeanXeLDeanXeL Posts: 289 Member
edited January 2022 in The Sims 4 Lots
Welcome to this board :D

I am Heleen, a bit of an experimental builder. you can also find me on twitch and youtube. Since I have only basegame, it pushes me to be creative in different ways and I wish to share that with you guys! I don't use Red shelf or T.O.O.L (or any other mod/CC), I do use a lot of MOO and debug items :) I often - but not always! - try to take things further than alt + click on a roof to freely adjust height, shift + click on the eaves to adjust a single side or click on a roof and use shift + c to add more bending points ;-)

I am open to requests and I will answer any questions anyone has regarding building techniques I use to create these. You can also visit on twitch (Heleen_DeanXeL) and ask your questions during my stream!

Feel free to check out my gallery, I have over 100 uploads, so I won't be sharing them all here now :), my gallery name is DeanXeL

I also collect most of the hard-to-explain building tutorials as videos on YouTube.
Below I will list a few of my favorite techniques/lots I built so far!

1) Builds that have shapes on the façade

Gallery link
e4fOXDs.png

2) Builds that have functional and counting as inside round rooms (I just put one here, I have 2)

AVpWPKY.png

3) Build with diagonal(slanted) walls or columns

Gallery link
QqTvcSJ.png

4) Basement windows (and foundations smaller than the actual building)

u88NmbF.png
See also gallery: A small mock-up

5) 'Negative space'

C1iMA9d.png

6) Diagonal roof edges

C17FSs6.png

7) Building fully functional lofts

vgWqCZL.png

8) Addressing roof clipping issues
z37KJEi.png

9) Custom fences from half walls
S4sQ6Oj.png

10) Floating loft areas. Can be used as staircase landings, multiple height lofts etc. Only uses 1 floor level.

IESolbs.png

11) Removing walls from roofs using TOOL
Console players and modless players can download "invisible" doors here
12) How to build staircases in pools

r8OpB0Y.png
Post edited by DeanXeL on

Comments

• AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    These look amazing, very impressive. I of course wonder how you do these features.
  • DeanXeLDeanXeL Posts: 289 Member
    edited January 2021
    @Auroraskies Thank you :) Which feature puzzles you? (Just downloading and checking the build out, might already reveal much of its 'secrets' ;) )

edit: forgot to add the tag woops :D
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,578 Member
    Each of your builds are so very creatively designed and built! :) The architectural designs, angles, shapes and features look so very great! It is great that they are all base game so all sims can enjoy having your creations in their games.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited January 2021
    And here I was looking forward to an essay! But yes, of course, that is a good tip, I will look at them in game.

What I most wondered about and did not understand from the screen shots, was how you did the diagonal pillars, that look like as if built for a sport arena; but I'll update when having downloaded the build.
    @Auroraskies, I would write you an essay if you needed it, no problem :dizzy:

As for the "diagonal pillars", you will quickly see from the build download that it is basically a staircase with a concrete side and a roof over it, si it is "hollow". That one is actually still a bit tricky to pull off, even if you know what it is made of.

In the build below, I picked the easy way out and placed the roof behind the staircase, stretching the eaves over it to the front. If you place them directly in front (try to), you get an error, because sims are supposed to like... walk there and stuff... apparently....

00.jpg

I didn't want to do that with the Gubal Library, since I would lose much of the effect of the 'pillars'. I ended up drawing an 'elevator' room on the ground floor (it is basically a normal freestanding room which you raise and lower to reach the specific height you are looking for). I needed it on the ground floor, since this was the only floor where I didn't have rooms on the location where I needed the roof. If you have rooms, it will say you cannot place the roof inside a building, doesn't matter whether it is lower or higher, still counts as that 'floor'.

if you still have trouble conceiving the 'elevator room', it's also what I use for the drawing of the stuff on the front of my builds and I made a really bad tutorial on this, don't judge me :'(https://youtube.com/watch?v=LwHYSgsLqCg&t=5s

I placed my tiny roof on the 'elevator' room , extended the eaves up as far as they would go and placed the roof diagonally under the staircase (where I built the horizontal beams anyway, so they wouldn't show there in any case) so that the eaves connect directly to the upper part of the staircase railing. I matched the color of the staircase base/railing/eaves as close as possible to get a cohesive look for the beam.

On the upper level of the staircase, I had to build the wall around the natural 'opening' the sims leaves for people like...walking ... on...it, like that ever happens :O so i freeplaced a window in the opening and hid the hole created in the floor with the debug concrete tiles.

A tiny bonus: because the roof is placed on a floor UNDER the staircase, you never actually see the stairs of the staircase, since the roof shows up first when you raise floors :D

Aaaand apparently I did actually write you an essay now, woops :D
    I do have another build I would like to showcase, it is one of my more recent builds where I included quite a bit of NoCC customized furniture in all rooms (not always with the entirely desired effect... I will keep working on that). Full showcase: https://imgur.com/a/D2cMXCr]https://imgur.com/a/D2cMXCr

Gallery link and a few pictures
    https://ea.com/en-au/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/029ADB4D49E311EB8C691AE2A2C073C3

9Fp9Gtn.png

IXmiA49.png

0OTZEvY.png

ojspX3o.png

edited June 2021
    Alright! Made a new house with.... basement windows! Figured I would try something new (have been trying to do this for a while though).

Modern house with basement windows

Link to gallery

Link to slideshow

u88NmbF.png

o4pDcqn.png

R5LWSZr.png

How it works:
    I've been using roofs in various different ways and this build also uses roofs to close the gap between the walls (it is a first floor dragged down) and the sloped grass. When I was looking if I had to make a tutorial/video on this thing, I actually bumped into this one: https://youtube.com/watch?v=b4vsqm3EqPM She uses roughly the same workaround, with the difference that I use the roofs all around the complete basement, dragging them further inside my basement and rounding out the slopes, so the windows from the inside give as good a view as the windows from the outside. I explain this here.
    Modern house with basement windows is a lovely modern home! :) Very nice exterior design, great sloped roofing, and the basement with windows is great! It was great to read how you did the windows and will be helpful for other simmers who also want to do it. The pool, loungers and outdoors dining, bbq areas are very nice! Sims will enjoy cooking meals on the bbq and dining outdoors in the air. Very nice furnishing of the interior! The open plan layout and design of the kitchen, living and dining areas are very nice. The red, black, white colours are very nice. Very nice sofa sitting area to enjoy restfully reading books, listening to music and watching tv. The double computers desk windows area is very nice to enjoy using the computers in the sunlight. Very nice bedrooms designs and colours. The patterned wall art on the bed head wall in bedroom 2 is colourfully great!
    It is a very nice home! :)
    @rosemow thank you for the lovely comments yet again, I wish you a great day and lots of joy and love!
    Currently, I find myself working on the concept of 'negative space', something I find extremely difficult in TS4 :O

ghH1p10.png

9L1neNZ.png
    Your WIP is very creatively great! :) Very great curving! The curved roofing with the large window on the front looks very great!
    It is great that your thread in featured in this week’s forums highlights! :) That is great! Your builds are very creatively designed!
    yes, so amazing! And thank you so much for the encouraging words as always! :)
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    I love your building style, sleek neat and beautiful! Keep up the wonderful creations!
    @BreeMiles thank you so much for the kind words! :)
  • franka44021franka44021 Posts: 125 Member
    @DeanXeL Thank you for sharing your builds. These are so amazing, gorgeous and well-planned, I am very impressed and in love with your designs. I am a beginner builder and I feel as if I have learned so much from looking at your builds and reading what you shared. Thanks again and Happy Simming!!!
    Thank you @franka44021 I love to build and to push myself to find the limits of what is possible, I can only hope to share what I find with as many builders as possible, so if you have any questions, please feel free to shoot :)
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    DeanXeL wrote: »
    Currently, I find myself working on the concept of 'negative space', something I find extremely difficult in TS4 :O

ghH1p10.png

This is some crazy architecture! You always have great ideas!

@Clousinator thank you :D I just finished decorating it too

Designer house basegame

Link to slideshow

C1iMA9d.png
    s8hHVge.png
    8yax9ID.png
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Congratulations on getting featured! Okay, so I know the reason you got featured was likely because of your creativity and ability to do things impossible for most people, but... could you please teach me how to build a modern house? Most of my houses come out looking like they’re from a Kinkade painting.
    Very lovely furnishing of the home! Designer house base game is very nice! :) Very creatively great exterior design and roofing, the car port is great, and very nice pool and outdoors dining patio! The greenery topped trellis over the top of the patio is nice. Very stylish red, black, white colours of the interior living areas, and the furnishing is lovely! Very nice sofa seating area in the living room to enjoy watching tv. Very nice kitchen design! The oval stools counter with double sinks is very nice for preparing meals and dining. Very lovely bar and lounge area! Sims will enjoy sitting on the stools or relaxing on the sofas having drinks from the bar. The drinks shelves are great on the corner walls. The colourful wall pattern in the toddlers room is great! The dinosaur is cute! Very nice computer study desk areas in the other bedrooms.
    @rosemow thank you for the lovely words as always, have a great day
    @Simtown15 thank you, I am not exactly sure what you mean by teach me? XD I will come back to you after work ;)
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    Love the new build super crafty and wonderfully made!
    @BreeMiles thank you so much :D Spent some time conceptualizing this one, was not easy to make it work like I wanted to and to not have glitchy surfaces...

@Simtown15 The easiest way to help you would actually be for you to make a modern build and to give you some feedback :p However, some general rules I tend to use when making modern builds.

- First and foremost, use sleek lines. Start out simple, straight lines, corners and contrast. You can use curves/circles, but usually in a big statement, you don't find it often in details, since it gets... frilly quite easily. If you are not comfortable, don't use it at first.
    - Lots of flat roofing, if it is sloped, it is deliberate and usually a bit 'mismatched' somewhere
    - When in doubt, use white. Otherwise, contrasting, mostly solid colors. A wall of stone/brick or wood is fine, but usually not a full build
    - Make interesting shapes. A modern build falls flat very easily (white), so make diagonal walls, cut inward in a contrast color where you put windows, use contrast trims etc. (usually I don't go overboard as much on the contrast as I did with this last build lol)
    Also, my new project was inspired by a build I saw by someone using T.O.O.L. to create a white diagonal edge alongside the roof. I've seen this thing before and think it's quite lovely, but the execution of those things can be jarring and annoying, also, I don't use T.O.O.L ^_^'

I've been taking a bit of a different approach to it (still working on it!):
    phMeEVG.png