Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Medieval and Windows 10

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    An unrecognized graphics card on these games doesn't mean that it isn't being detected and used. It means that the game doesn't know which default profile to assign to the card and so gives it a generic one. Sometimes this makes a small difference in the game's performance, sometimes none at all that the player can tell. In a small number of cases, players do see a definite improvement after editing their sgr files to account for the card and its default profile properly.

An undetected graphics card would prevent the game from starting up and display a Device 0 or some such error. That, of course, is different.

My sense is that if Medieval works and seems to be performing okay as is, it's probably not worth worrying about. But yes, most definitely on capping those fps rates.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    Hi @phoebebebe13

It's a small world ;)

I got an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti and already changed the fps limit in the conf. settings of NVIDIA (right clicking the desktop). I applied it to TS3W.exe and tsm.exe (I even applied it to the launchers) and set the vertical synchronization to adaptive.

I can see how this works for TS3 since I have changed certain files (I followed the instructions from that YouTube film) so the game recognizes my card. But Medieval doesn't recognizes my card and therefore is not using it, I think/assume, so any fps settings can't be applied in relation to the game/card.
    edited May 2018
    SimLibby wrote: »
    Hi @phoebebebe13

It's a small world ;)

I got an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti and already changed the fps limit in the conf. settings of NVIDIA (right clicking the desktop). I applied it to TS3W.exe and tsm.exe (I even applied it to the launchers) and set the vertical synchronization to adaptive.

I can see how this works for TS3 since I have changed certain files (I followed the instructions from that YouTube film) so the game recognizes my card. But Medieval doesn't recognizes my card and therefore is not using it, I think/assume, so any fps settings can't be applied in relation to the game/card.
    Oops, our posts just crossed each other. Unless you have a setup specifically with dual graphics (do you also have an Intel integrated graphics chip?), this is actually impossible. If you only have one graphics card, as most of us on desktops do for example, the game has to use it formally recognized or not, or else there would be no graphics at all -- it won't run that way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    SimLibby wrote: »
    Hi @phoebebebe13

It's a small world ;)

Oops, our posts just crossed each other. Unless you have a setup specifically with dual graphics (do you also have an Intel integrated graphics chip?), this is actually impossible. If you only have one graphics card, the game has to use it formally recognized or not, or else there would be no graphics at all -- it won't run that way.

@SimLibby agree with @igazor the 750 ti is a desktop card. It is newer than the game. When you first start the game it will tell you your card is unrecognized . That notice will go away after you start playing a save. You may get that notice every time you start a new save. Just ignore it as long as your game plays fine and your fps is capped. The game is using your card.

this game sometimes has issues with windows 10 one drive and some other update. igazor may know what the other issue is. Make sure you have one drive disabled for all sims games.
    edited May 2018
    Hi @igazor,

You talk some logic ;) I have no integrated graphic cards. I thought maybe Windows/Microsoft had some backup/basic card or something that the game would use if it doesn't know my card. I just checked my dxdiag and device management and found no evidence to support that idea (don't know where I got it from).

I do wonder: the files I edited with TS3 was basically adding my card to the list of cards TS3 knows. Medieval has a similar config file with cards it knows. So where does Medieval gets it's instructions from if there is no configuration that tells it about my card?

Hi @phoebebebe13

The notification did went away and it seems I could play.
    this game sometimes has issues with windows 10 one drive and some other update. igazor may know what the other issue is. Make sure you have one drive disabled for all sims games.
    I'm not sure if I understand/interpreted this right. What drive do you mean? (are you referring to dual cards).

Both your posts do re-assure me. Thank you both very much for your help.
    @SimLibby I don't have windows 10. One drive is a program that comes with windows 10 . If I'm not mistaken if you have one drive enabled it will send your sims files to the wrong place . @igazor may be able to explain this better than I can :p
    edited May 2018
    Oh, OneDrive. If you would spell it without spaces, I would have recognized it. :p Yeah, I know about this. I have limited space in my OneDrive so no automatic synchronization. I decide what goes in my OneDrive, not Microsoft ;) and what to back-up and on which device. I have re-directed all My Documents to D, since my SSD has limited space as well.
    edited May 2018
    Okay yes, you were correct in that Windows does provide for a minimal amount of display ability should the graphics card be deemed non-functional. You can see this if you ever start up in Safe Mode. But the games can't run and won't really try to using that kind of minimal display ability, it's not very pretty to see and is more for emergency use and troubleshooting purposes only; most of us can barely read the blurry text names of files on our screens when having to startup that way.

In the TS3 user game folder in Documents, there will be a file called DeviceConfig.log. This one tells us which graphics card the game is actually using and which profile it is assigning to it. Again in TS3, if the card is reported as unrecognized (Found 0, Matched 0 or something like that), the game will grant it a lower-level set of defaults. But that doesn't (usually) impact the performance very much. It might throttle the number of sims pushed to visit community lots if the game "thinks" it is running on less than spiffy hardware even if it really isn't. That's part of what the sgr file hocus pocus tries to address.

I don't play TSM but will have to assume that it has the same kind of structure and DeviceConfig.log provided and updated on each startup within its own user game folder.

On the OneDrive thing, where that takes Win 10 users by surprise is that TS3 sometimes finds a Documents folder in there and decides that's where the user game folder should go, so the player ends up with two of them but only one is really read from and written to. If you have OneDrive deactivated or if the games aren't even noticing it and are using the proper user Documents folder, wherever it has been re-directed to, then you're of course fine there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited May 2018
    it's not very pretty to see and is more for emergency use and troubleshooting purposes only; most of us can barely read the text names of files on our screens when having to startup that way.
    This was not the case. Everything was clear. So there I have it: Medieval is not using the back-up system.
    Again in TS3, if the card is reported as unrecognized (Found 0, Matched 0 or something like that), the game will grant it a lower-level set of defaults. But that doesn't (usually) impact the performance very much. That's part of what the sgr file hocus pocus tries to address. I don't play TSM but will have to assume that it has the same kind of structure and DeviceConfig.log provided and updated on each startup within its own user game folder.

It was exactly like that and I performed the hocus pocus. Never realized though it doesn't impact the performance very much. TS3 does run smoother but my computer specs. are much better than my previous Windows 7 computer. I did look in the Medieval conf. files, without changing anything, and it appears to be the same as it is with TS3. Still, I was hesitant to change anything like I did with TS3.

Now I know I don't have to. I got the FPS limit set in place, in-game I can even put on the FPS cheat to make sure it doesn't goes above 60, and the game graphics looks clear to me.

Thank you and thank you phoebebebe13 .

EDIT:
    I tend to use the FPS cheat because NVIDIA driver updates resets my TS3 in-game options. It has never reset the vertical synchronization setting in the configuration screen of NVIDIA itself, nevertheless I keep my eye on it.

PS.
    About the one drive thing: I got the sentiment/accent wrong and read it as two words so 1 drive.
    Post edited by SimLibby on
    edited May 2018
    @SimLibby your very welcome :) Any time you update Nvidia drivers , it resets the sims 3 launcher game settings. It's very annoying.
    edited May 2018
    @phoebebebe13, it is! I tend to use the like/awesome buttons to acknowledge the message of the poster: a sign I have read it to prevent double/power posting (although that intention probably works a bit better on Dutch officials since there it's much quieter, most times it's just two players that are involved in the same topic, so more easy to recognize who have ticked that box). It often feels strange to me using it especially when people are experiencing some (game) problem or annoyance, like with the reset after NVIDIA updates, which are never fun or awesome (hence this message to acknowledge). But I assume many players share that intention and use if for exactly that.
  • jennyhyunjennyhyun Posts: 47 Member
    I play The Sims Medieval on my Windows 10 laptop all the time, it works fine for me!
    I've been lost in Medieval the last couple of weeks (without editing any files ;), except testingcheats) and it works flawless (also Windows 10). Love those achievements.
  • horror_obsessedhorror_obsessed Posts: 21 Member
    I tried so hard to get my Sims Medieval disk to work, but it never did. I ended up purchasing the game on Origin with the Pirates and Nobles expansion pack. It was a great idea.
    A. I love the expansion pack!
    B. The game itself runs much smoother than it ever did on my Windows 7
    I definitely think it was worth the extra money.
  • ERINDOYLEERINDOYLE Posts: 1 New Member
    I seem to have a different problem altogether and I’m not sure if it’s due to Windows 10. I originally bought this game back in 2011 on a disk.

I have Windows 10 and had not played this game in several years. I uploaded the info into Origin a few months ago, started a new game and it played perfectly until I reached the “Castle” achievement, then the game stopped tallying my achievements. I tried repairing the game, uninstalling the game from Origin and reinstalling it and after several hours of play (when I reached the Castle achievement again) I had the same problem AGAIN, I purchased the game and expansion through Origin again and I’m still not accumulating watcher points. I’m stuck at Peermonger and I know I should have moved to the next level at least because I’m tallying my progress on paper now.

This is the third time that I’ve reached this point in my game and cannot proceed. I haven’t found anyone else with a similar problem anywhere online and it’s super frustrating.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    When I couldn't get TSM to work on Windows 10, I spoke to customer support. All I had to do was provide a picture of my disc with the product code next to it and they added the digital version to my library. I already had a digital copy of P & N, it was just the base game I needed to replace.

It runs fine now and I haven't noticed any problems with gameplay or performance.
  • AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 262 Member
    I have the digital downloads of both medieval and pirates, the only problem I have is the game has trouble saving. I have to keep changing the name of the save. Any ideas on how to fix that?
  • Lucian_HodobocLucian_Hodoboc Posts: 2 New Member
    > @aws200 said:
    > I bought it on Steam

Isn't Sims an Origin game though? I thought it was created by EA.
    edited November 2018
    Lucian_Hodoboc I believe so. Maybe "steam" is meant as stream as in digital download from Origin :) I know my phone and any auto correct likes to adjust my words and sentences to totally different than what I typed in :D
    > @aws200 said:
    > I bought it on Steam

• EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    ajadra wrote: »
    Lucian_Hodoboc I believe so. Maybe "steam" is meant as stream as in digital download from Origin :) I know my phone and any auto correct likes to adjust my words and sentences to totally different than what I typed in :D
    > @aws200 said:
    > I bought it on Steam

Steam is another PC based service that offers Sim games for sale.
    edited November 2018

hmmmm, never knew that existed :)
  • SimmmmmSimmmmm Posts: 1 New Member
    I need Help, I got the Sims Medieval game as a gift for Christmas, it won't load. I have the disk copy of the game and I don't know what to do. I have windows 10 if anyone is interested in knowing. :s
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited December 2018
    Windows 10 is stupid! :( ;( :(
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    Simmmmm wrote: »
    I need Help, I got the Sims Medieval game as a gift for Christmas, it won't load. I have the disk copy of the game and I don't know what to do. I have windows 10 if anyone is interested in knowing. :s

Register your game with Origin, then you can download a version that works.

I have the Origin version of TSM Deluxe, which includes Pirates and Nobles. No issue at all on Windows 10. I run my games with mods as well. You can read more from MTS where they used the same solution by using Origin.
    http://modthesims.info/t/561599

and this from the Horse's Mouth
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-The-Sims-Games/The-Sims-Medieval-and-Windows-8-10-Compatibility/td-p/2528032

There may be gamers that can get around win 10 incompatibility, but since I don't have the disk version (like I do with the other EA sim games), I haven't tried to hack a disk game in TSM.

Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • Evil_slothsEvil_sloths Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello, 2021 person here.

I ordered SM (Sims Medieval) back in 2012. I originally bought the game on Steam. I have 200+ hours recorded on it. At the time I played the game, I had an HP Pavillion G6 series laptop that ran on Windows 7 Vista, it's year is also 2012. I still have and use the laptop, just not for gaming (poor thing can't handle it anymore). I uninstalled and haven't played the game in years. It's been dormant in my Steam purchases for 6 years.

Last year, December, I bought an MSI computer, which runs on Windows 10. Long story short. Game didn't work on Steam client. I downloaded it from Steam, it runs on task manager but is otherwise invisible to all 5 senses. The game is a LEGAL DIGITAL purchase with the same TSM file.

After some trial and error based on what I read from other sources and this forum, this is how I got my game copy to work and function with no freezes.

Solution:

1. Went to STEAM and copied and pasted my product key into notepad for visual reference
    2. Went on the Sims 3 site - https://www.thesims3.com/home.html - and created a new account under my STEAMS profile name (if I had one in the past, it's lost forever)
    3. I then hovered my cursor over the "MY PAGE" tab, then the "MY ACCOUNT" tab, and then I clicked "REGISTER A GAME". Here is the link as a shortcut. https://www.thesims3.com/registeragame.html
    4. I then copied my game key, SECTION BY SECTION, and inputted them SECTION BY SECTION, without the dases, into the respective spaces. The system then prompted that my Sims 3 game was registered, even though it was my SM copy.
    5. Open ORIGINS game client
    6. Click "MY GAME LIBRARY". You should see your copy of SM on the page. If you click on it, Origins will prompt you to update. The update is a lie. It won't work.
    -I found that even when I clicked on the game within the Origin client, the file DOES NOT appear in the Origins folder. Instead, it tries to open the file that is within the STEAM folder. Use CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to find the game within the task manager and end the task.
    7. Within the ORIGINS game client, right-click SM and uninstall the game. The STEAM client should open and give you a warning prompt on whether or not you want to uninstall SM from Steam. EVEN THOUGH YOU WENT THROUGH ORIGINS TO UNINSTALL. It was not a typo. Swallow your pride (200+ just...gone), uninstall the game, and remove it from your game library. You can still keep it in your downloads cache...for memories.
    -I found that I had to uninstall the game "twice". From Steam first and then from my Programs and Features folder a.ka App and Features folder located in the control panel.
    8. Restart your computer. I did this for good measure, just in case.
    9. Re-open the ORIGINS game client and find SM
    10. Click install game and complete the prompts. Wait for the download to complete. Download speed depends on your internet speed, storage space, and overall "health" of your laptop.
    11. If you clicked the run after install option, the game will take a couple of seconds and then should run like normal, making your heart skip a beat because you think "oh snap, I screwed up". If you don't have the client set to run after install, close all tabs and open windows, click the new SM icon on your desktop (or wherever your game is stored), and then proceed to gush over the fact that "holy snap, it's finally working. IT"S WORKING!"
    -Keep in mind, your ORIGINS game client should be up to date (your Steam one too) I have mine set to auto-update.

After that. You should do nothing but enjoy.

I hope this was helpful. I am NOT tech-savvy in the least bit. If this does not work for you I CANNOT HELP YOU, my friend. These were the exact steps I followed when I was playing around with D.I.Y solutions and eventually came up with this. I didn't call EA, the patch link that once worked is broken, and the limited information about this issue that I could find frustrated me to no end as the responses given to "fix" the issues either resulted in calling EA, buying another copy, using the patch, installing on the Sims 3 site with no in-depth step by step, or just had ranting and blame on the purchaser or company itself. I will leave my previous and current computer specs below, just in case, it helps.

Computer Specs:

Past:
    http://media.flixcar.com/delivery/minisite/show/8/en/635674 (mine was windows 7)

Current:
    https://storage-asset.msi.com/specSheet/us/nb/GL65%20Leopard%2010SDK-222.pdf

Happy Gaming
    :)