Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    I apparently started a trend... what I'm writing. :)

@AdamsEve1231 It's a great trend :D! I'm on board
    Oh and one last thing... dropping off a little poll to decide a detail in my berry challenge. You don't have to be reading to vote (... it's for SoulGal7's Brad Blue character), but if you are, cool, I have a new behind-the-scenes post today!

Good grief, that sim is drop dead gorgeous! No matter which skin tone he has :D
    Julyvee94 and LegacySims2017 thank you both for the shoutouts, I appreciate it! I'm still very new to writing SimLit (and writing in general) so I'm focusing mostly on gameplay over story in my legacy. I mainly just wanted to play and complete a legacy challenge, and decided to document it all along the way :)

I've been reading a few legacies / stories posted on the forums here recently, but there are so many others being recommended in this thread that I haven't read yet or even heard of. I've bookmarked a lot of them and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. My introduction to Sim stories way back in the day was mostly through legacy challenges, but I've been really enjoying reading the more plot-based and non-legacy challenge stories I've come across here too :)

I have to confess I don't do much reading out-with Sims stuff these days, but I would say my favourite genre is probably fantasy. Or, at least, it used to be when I was younger and I actually read books. I do like dark themes, gritty subjects, characters with struggles, that sort of thing haha. These days that translates more into the TV / movies I watch though :p

You deserve recognition. You’ve got a great sense of humor and it’s fun to read.

I agree! I've actually laughed out loud a few times while reading your story :D
    I have a question for everyone:

What got you into SimLit?

For me it was an EA blog post about @pammiechick 's amazon challenge which I then started reading, then I started checking out other stories on the forums too and soon enough I was writing myself. An amazon challenge of course xD though I've tried other genres too since then. That was in 2015 or 2016 I think. Good ol days.
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    Is there trouble in paradise??

Aurora Blance: Part 14

jmmewZm.png
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    PrincessSimcess and her Bachelor series, for sure! That got me into SimLit!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

for me i had always wanted to try it but was kind of scare3d too so instead of starting right away i said to cathtea you want to start a writes lounge with me.? we had met over in the mega thread which is a miracle cause it lives up to its name it really is mega,
    anyway she said yes the actual conversation is on page one.
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    PrincessSimcess and her Bachelor series, for sure! That got me into SimLit!

I miss her bachelor SimLit.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member

I discovered SimLit back in The Sims 2 days, when there was the official story exchange page I started reading stories from. They were cool and creative and I loved writing and creating even back then (I was in my teens during TS2-times), so I got into writing almost right after reading some. My first stories... weren't that great and my English wasn't yet fluent enough for a nicely flowing story (English is not my first language), but I liked writing them a lot.

After TS2 and the story exchange started to become things of the past, I didn't get back into SimLit until around 2015 when I suddenly started thinking about it and wondering if there were any active writers still. I was so glad to discover that not only was the community thriving, but the stories were even more ambitious and wonderful now.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    I have a question for everyone:

For me it was an EA blog post about @pammiechick 's amazon challenge which I then started reading, then I started checking out other stories on the forums too and soon enough I was writing myself. An amazon challenge of course xD though I've tried other genres too since then. That was in 2015 or 2016 I think. Good ol days.

I don't quite remember but I think it went something like this:
    I started playing Sims
    I watched lets plays by my favorite youtubers
    I got recommended other lets plays
    Some of them were legacy challenge lets plays
    I went, what is a legacy challenge? Then looked it up
    Read one
    Got absolutely hooked
    Thought, I gotta get me one of these
    ???
    Profit!

Maybe that's why I love legacy stories so much.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i can't vacation in a residential lot.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited January 2021
    Oh and one last thing... dropping off a little poll to decide a detail in my berry challenge. You don't have to be reading to vote (... it's for SoulGal7's Brad Blue character), but if you are, cool, I have a new behind-the-scenes post today!

Good grief, that sim is drop dead gorgeous! No matter which skin tone he has :D

Why do you think I did a poll?

I know right? @SoulGal7 creates the most attractive Sims and a great backstory too!
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,378 Member
    What got you into Simlit?

An interesting question and interesting answers. :)
    In the summer of 2018, I went on vacation with two novels in my suitcase, but I did not read a single page when a coincidence led me to Dust to Dust by @CitizenErased14
    After that I was sold to SimLit <3
    I made my own blog and wrote my first Simlit in English last summer in an attempt to challenge my brain with something more constructive than a scary pandemic.
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Due to Covid I missed out on a Winnie the Pooh exhibit at (museum) in Toronto. I will never get to see it unless A&V museum in London decide to do another world tour sooner then 30 years from now. Since it closed Jan 17 and it opened right before the March lockdown.

@MadameLee A lot of these kinds of things happened last year. It's sad. :'(

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Okay, what I'm reading... I shared a good bit of links this week already in terms of SimLit, but here are a few of my go-to reads (or my reading recommendations in general) recently that I didn't mention.

@RipuAncestor's Chrysanthemum Tango
    @Dollyllama108's Catastrophe Theory
    I mentioned this, but didn't link it the other day... @jillbg's The Grey Witches

As today is Catch-Up Friday, Writer's Lounge peeps, how is everyone? How is 2021 treating you? Hopefully you're having a better year than last year. :)

well moms annoyed that i hurt my foot but its knd of her fault she was washing my floor. but had shown up a hour early for a dr phone call. for me. she asked me for towels and its mom so i didn't want to throw them so i went to walkthem to her and slippped in water on the floor. most people do a section and dry it then move to the next section. not mom. now shes annoyed cause i haven't changed clothes or bathed since sunday. wearing a ace bandage but only since wednesday. other than that i'm good.

oh i alsso managed to confuse joseph wasn't trying too i just started over again but before i could write and link it to my site i hurt myself. but he confuses me at times too crinne translates. lol. love them both. :)

I hope your foot is better now, @friendsfan367. Actually I hurt my foot like 2 weeks ago trying out a new VR game, Beat Saber, with my husband. That game really gets you moving. I had to ace bandage my foot too, but it wouldn't stay on. :grimace:
    on a happier note i tried out the newcareer today.my test family lives in a haunted house. i did it i wonder if thats mean.

How are you enjoying the new pack? I haven't gotten it yet. I was a little cavalier with my budget this month and lost track of $$ so I have to wait until I get paid. Groceries and gas for my car are more important.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Thanks for the shoutout, @AdamsEve1231 ! Your stuff is great too! Everyone go read it!

Thank you! <3
    I prefer fantasy stories, usually of the low-fantasy scale, because that's what I often prefer to read in general. But I also like stories that incorporate the potential the Sims has to tell life stories, where we can see the characters throughout different stages and places in life, be it fantasy or not. I like it when SimLit incorporates slice-of-life elements even to plot-driven stories. Also suspense/detective stories are another favourite of mine to read in general, so I like that kind of SimLit as well.

I am always fascinated with stories that explore death, humanity, emotions and identity, among other things.

Also @CathyTea 's introspective, loving stories are always lovely, be it fantasy, legacy or slice-of-life!

As for AdamsEve's question, I do enjoy writing what I also like to read. Oh, I also like horror stories, but I don't think I'd be very good at writing outright horror. I will settle for slightly unsettling themes and scenes in my non-horror stories, though.

Yay! Another SimLit friend who enjoys suspense and detective stories. There aren't too many SimLit writers out there, that I've found, who tackle that genre.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Well, it happened again...

Going to have to update all my threads with this news, but I'm now in possession of a new PC. Apparently my Sims files can be somehow transferred across, but that's going to have to wait a while, meaning everything is going to be going on an indefinite hiatus.

Sigh.

Oh no! Good luck with everything, @lilypadmeulin.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Hey everyone! Here's my entry for this month's Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge: New Residents

So good to see you here, @divanthesimmer! Totally spaced about the SimLit Short Story challenge. I haven't written anything for it in a long long time, but it's good to see it's still alive!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • tinyv0idcattinyv0idcat Posts: 90 Member
    Julyvee94 and LegacySims2017 thank you both for the shoutouts, I appreciate it! I'm still very new to writing SimLit (and writing in general) so I'm focusing mostly on gameplay over story in my legacy. I mainly just wanted to play and complete a legacy challenge, and decided to document it all along the way :)

I've been reading a few legacies / stories posted on the forums here recently, but there are so many others being recommended in this thread that I haven't read yet or even heard of. I've bookmarked a lot of them and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. My introduction to Sim stories way back in the day was mostly through legacy challenges, but I've been really enjoying reading the more plot-based and non-legacy challenge stories I've come across here too :)

I have to confess I don't do much reading out-with Sims stuff these days, but I would say my favourite genre is probably fantasy. Or, at least, it used to be when I was younger and I actually read books. I do like dark themes, gritty subjects, characters with struggles, that sort of thing haha. These days that translates more into the TV / movies I watch though :p

You deserve recognition. You’ve got a great sense of humor and it’s fun to read.

Haha, well now the pressure is on to keep that up! :D
    MnLhKCU.jpg
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member

Haha, well now the pressure is on to keep that up! :D

Nah, you’re a natural. :grimace:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • tinyv0idcattinyv0idcat Posts: 90 Member
    Okay, what I'm reading... I shared a good bit of links this week already in terms of SimLit, but here are a few of my go-to reads (or my reading recommendations in general) recently that I didn't mention.

@RipuAncestor's Chrysanthemum Tango
    @Dollyllama108's Catastrophe Theory
    I mentioned this, but didn't link it the other day... @jillbg's The Grey Witches

As today is Catch-Up Friday, Writer's Lounge peeps, how is everyone? How is 2021 treating you? Hopefully you're having a better year than last year. :)

well moms annoyed that i hurt my foot but its knd of her fault she was washing my floor. but had shown up a hour early for a dr phone call. for me. she asked me for towels and its mom so i didn't want to throw them so i went to walkthem to her and slippped in water on the floor. most people do a section and dry it then move to the next section. not mom. now shes annoyed cause i haven't changed clothes or bathed since sunday. wearing a ace bandage but only since wednesday. other than that i'm good.

oh i alsso managed to confuse joseph wasn't trying too i just started over again but before i could write and link it to my site i hurt myself. but he confuses me at times too crinne translates. lol. love them both. :)

I hope your foot is better now, @friendsfan367. Actually I hurt my foot like 2 weeks ago trying out a new VR game, Beat Saber, with my husband. That game really gets you moving. I had to ace bandage my foot too, but it wouldn't stay on. :grimace:
    on a happier note i tried out the newcareer today.my test family lives in a haunted house. i did it i wonder if thats mean.

How are you enjoying the new pack? I haven't gotten it yet. I was a little cavalier with my budget this month and lost track of $$ so I have to wait until I get paid. Groceries and gas for my car are more important.

I've always wanted to try out Beat Saber! It looks like a lot of fun. Aside from the injured foot (which I hope feels better!), would you recommend it?
    MnLhKCU.jpg
    Okay, now that I spammed the thread... :lol: I feel like I want to respond to so many good posts.

What Got Me into SimLit...
    well back in the day, I think I read Alice and Kev first, then I read a bunch of stories by SimaticSims back in the day. I'm pretty sure I found @CathyTea and @RipuAncestor shortly after this, but I may have already been writing a little, but not publishing. Everyone in the community was so kind and accepting, and made me want to write and share my stories with the world. :blush:

While I'm at it so I don't post a million more times... :tongue:

...for your reading pleasure... introducing @TheYayToast's Eros Amaryllis... in my berries world! Oh and an extra image is included in that post... not included in story. :wink:

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited January 2021

I've always wanted to try out Beat Saber! It looks like a lot of fun. Aside from the injured foot (which I hope feels better!), would you recommend it?

@tinyv0idcat Totally. I started out on Easy and now I'm doing Normal. The "you failed" screen is rough to see so many times, but it just propelled me to do better and improve. It's great exercise too. I would recommend stretching before and after, and keeping water nearby (except out of reach so you don't accidentally whack it when you're in VR. Oh, and make sure you have plenty of space so you don't whack other things too.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    klVvtli.png
    Hey everyone! As promised, I'm releasing a second chapter this month which you can read here! Enjoy :heart:
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top