Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

STILL can’t settle to one game. Need a challenge or something to keep me focused??

I know I’m not the only one who suffers from restartitis, but I am wondering if maybe I have the worst case on record...
I think I’ve made about a dozen households this year (read month) already.

I need a challenge or something to keep me focused. I am not certain if what I need is to just start with one Sim, or if family connections make them a little deeper. I have plenty of neighbourhood characters with houses ready to pop in from my gallery, but then I am tempted to see them as “my” Sim and be unhappy with them being out of my control...

I want to do things like black widow and double life and explore the various occult states. Just need to accept that one Sim can’t do everything, especially not all at once. Even deciding where to live is difficult.

Please help...

Comments

• permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited January 2021
    Put all your "restarts" in the same save and make them all part of one giant world. I have one main family I gravitate toward, but I also love making new storylines and households all the time, so I've started just interconnecting all my stories. So whenever I get a new idea, I just find an empty lot for them in my world (or delete a pre-made household) and then try to make them related to someone else in my world by blood, romance, or friendship. And then when I get tired of playing them, I can go back and play a family I've already made or just make another one, but I'll leave them in my world and usually come check in on them again later. I've been playing the same save since 2017 this way. I have mermaid families and alien families and hybrid sims I've explored this way. I also have done homeless challenges, single sims, large families, etc. Some sims I really start from scratch and build up, and others I cheat to make their relationships and skill build up fast to get them where I want them so that they fit into my world. Really just depends, but that's what has worked for me. It makes it feel less like starting over and more like I am actually building a giant, interconnected world every time I want to add new storylines/sims since I'm not throwing out the old ideas I've already tried.

Hope this helps!
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited January 2021
    Put all your "restarts" in the same save and make them all part of one giant world. I have one main family I gravitate toward, but I also love making new storylines and households all the time, so I've started just interconnecting all my stories. So whenever I get a new idea, I just find an empty lot for them in my world (or delete a pre-made household) and then try to make them related to someone else in my world by blood, romance, or friendship. And then when I get tired of playing them, I can go back and play a family I've already made or just make another one, but I'll leave them in my world and usually come check in on them again later. I've been playing the same save since 2017 this way. I have mermaid families and alien families and hybrid sims I've explored this way. I also have done homeless challenges, single sims, large families, etc. Some sims I really start from scratch and build up, and others I cheat to make their relationships and skill build up fast to get them where I want them so that they fit into my world. Really just depends, but that's what has worked for me. It makes it feel less like starting over and more like I am actually building a giant, interconnected world every time I want to add new storylines/sims since I'm not throwing out the old ideas I've already tried.

Hope this helps!

This is one amazing piece of advice. May i ask you how do you manage time so that you don't lose your other households while playing a new one? Do you stop aging for other households while keep aging on for the one you're playing at the moment?
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited January 2021
    I like the former suggestion. I restart decently often myself, but I am always done with the save more or less when I do. I suspect we play rather differently (no auto aging or "story progression" of any kind not done by my hand). I do really like to ingrain my Sims into the worlds through blood ties, though.

However, early on in Sims 4's life I had a file that entertained me between 2-3 years. In it, I made a family of unrelated teens and used them to colonize and develop Newcrest. Designed all the buildings, families, etc. myself. Since, much more DLC has dropped that I could have used for all sorts of stuff (so much that it is hard for me to remember how I was able to entertain myself with so little except for how Sims 4 was still kind of new), so I bet another Newcrest world builder run would do the job well.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited January 2021
    I have a problem of starting too many saves. It's because when I started playing Sims I put a lot of my Sims in the same save and tried to play them rotationally, it didn't work. When I played one household the other other ones got ruined. When I changed a household some of them had gotten fired from their jobs or had cheated their spouse etc. It always took too much time to fix the messes, I hated it and decided to play with only one household per save.
    It resulted me to eventually have about 100 saves. I had to delete a lot of them. I ended up having about 30 saves, but now there are a lot more again. I haven't counted them recently but I suspect there are maybe about 60 saves currently. I've tried to put several households in same saves again and so far it seems to be working, except when I change the household everyone is missing work and/or school that day.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited January 2021
    I have found in the decade challenge a solution for my restartitis, but I don't follow all rules strictly. I started this save without any idea what will happen and with no hope that I will ever finish it. At first you start with many restrictions which will ease with the time, and when it happen that is a happy moment, I remember the moment when I bought a teddybear for the children.

When I have started with my main family I created more families and watch over and help them in their career, so their children may be a marriage candidate. And then I needed the right buildings for the decade, I was unhappy with the modern design.

With the result that I now switch through all the families and building houses I need for this save, so I can't stick for too long on one family and get bored with them, and comes the next decade or war, so I can change the interior. I have always something to do in this save. :D
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,848 Member
    well there isn't anything wrong with it maybe starting fresh on the journey is just more fun but I've found different challenges help, like I started to appreciate long life and full seasons when I did a little fixer up challenge I made up. Where the family can only add to a destroyed lot or clean up things like over grown grass with money they made from stolen goods or collectibles and they had to have six children and raise them up at the same time. Then there was making a family of eight the grand parents, parents children whatever combo then splitting them up or having them remain in one house and building from there only adding households as they make friends. The tinest thing could have you playing longer, though it is fun just flying blind picking all your sims from the gallery or whatever and plopping them in a save to replace the premades.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I have a problem of starting too many saves. It's because when I started playing Sims I put a lot of my Sims in the same save and tried to play them rotationally, it didn't work. When I played one household the other other ones got ruined. When I changed a household some of them had gotten fired from their jobs or had cheated their spouse etc. It always took too much time to fix the messes, I hated it and decided to play with only one household per save.
    It resulted me to eventually have about 100 saves. I had to delete a lot of them. I ended up having about 30 saves, but now there are a lot more again. I haven't counted them recently but I suspect there are maybe about 60 saves currently. I've tried to put several households in same saves again and so far it seems to be working, except when I change the household everyone is missing work and/or school that day.

Hmm, I have never had anything change during my rotations, except sometimes body weight if I've played City Living. I always play with aging off and do not allow MCCC to make any progression changes with my Sims. Also I usually only change households at around 5 am. That keeps everyone on schedule for school and work. The part time baristas may still arrive a little late or hungry, but I only have one of those, so no big deal. I do set MCCC to minimize relationship decay.
    telmarina wrote: »

Hope this helps!

This is one amazing piece of advice. May i ask you how do you manage time so that you don't lose your other households while playing a new one? Do you stop aging for other households while keep aging on for the one you're playing at the moment?

@telmarina I play with aging off completely and will age up sims manually when I need to for a story. It does mean that some of my sims have aged up several life stages while their neighbors might stay stagnant forever. That’s the one struggle I’ve had playing this way - I would love to delve more into legacy/generational play at some point but feel like I would have to age up my entire world since all the stories are so connected, and that’s just a lot of maintenance that feels daunting to me. I kind of view my save as a giant WIP that gets tweaked constantly with new packs and new ideas. I just spend a lot of time editing my households and making interconnected stories, so I’m never eager to let aging ruin that hard work. Right now I’m playing a challenge where I will need to age a sim up through her entire life, so I’m playing her in a tangent save I made from my main save so I only play her in this save and I have my original main save still for playing my other households that won’t be affected by aging.

Maybe one day I will start trying to get a second generation from all the households I’ve made and make more interconnected stories that way, but for now, it is an ageless WIP.

Sorry for the long reply - I hope that answers your question.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

Hope this helps!

@telmarina I play with aging off completely and will age up sims manually when I need to for a story. It does mean that some of my sims have aged up several life stages while their neighbors might stay stagnant forever. That’s the one struggle I’ve had playing this way - I would love to delve more into legacy/generational play at some point but feel like I would have to age up my entire world since all the stories are so connected, and that’s just a lot of maintenance that feels daunting to me. I kind of view my save as a giant WIP that gets tweaked constantly with new packs and new ideas. I just spend a lot of time editing my households and making interconnected stories, so I’m never eager to let aging ruin that hard work. Right now I’m playing a challenge where I will need to age a sim up through her entire life, so I’m playing her in a tangent save I made from my main save so I only play her in this save and I have my original main save still for playing my other households that won’t be affected by aging.

Maybe one day I will start trying to get a second generation from all the households I’ve made and make more interconnected stories that way, but for now, it is an ageless WIP.

It does. thank you :)
    Besides being a restarter i also have another addiction: i can't play with aging off. I've tried, but i feel that i need this system, bigger-than-me, that controls global aging... it's weird, i can't explain...
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member

Hope this helps!

I know some players do the aging on at New Years if you have seasons. That helps with you nonplayed sims to age along with yours
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    Saaame, I've been starting legacies and after a few days, I find it hard to get back into them, no matter how much I love those sims D:

You could try playing with gameplay rules? Stuff that kinda aims towards giving your sims a little more life like assigning hobbies or jobs based on traits and stuff. The Kixg and pleasantsims have some rules, I'm sure there are others.

Not sure if you play on PC or console, but mods definitely help, too. There are some really amazing gameplay mods, icemunmun has a lot that you could almost simulate farming with new harvestables and a functioning chicken coop!

Something I'm going to try for myself is to have a save where either every generation or different families focus on each pack and just play through the expansions. There are some packs I haven't played through in a while and some I never fully experienced, so I'm hoping that going back will help me appreciate them more.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,508 Member
    edited January 2021
    NRowe wrote: »
    I know I’m not the only one who suffers from restartitis, but I am wondering if maybe I have the worst case on record...
    I think I’ve made about a dozen households this year (read month) already.

I need a challenge or something to keep me focused. I am not certain if what I need is to just start with one Sim, or if family connections make them a little deeper. I have plenty of neighbourhood characters with houses ready to pop in from my gallery, but then I am tempted to see them as “my” Sim and be unhappy with them being out of my control...

I want to do things like black widow and double life and explore the various occult states. Just need to accept that one Sim can’t do everything, especially not all at once. Even deciding where to live is difficult.

Please help...

I am the Queen of Restarts, however my restarts aren't focused on dumping one family and creating yet another one. No, I stick to the very same family. Sometimes, it's been a pack that came out, (such as Parenthood) wherein I thought, gee wouldn't it be fun to help them learn Values, before I go too far into their lives? Another restart again due to the same pack, was when I realized how very hard it is to instill Values when the Sims are teens. Restart and have those same teens start out a Child Sims. Other times, it's been experimenting with a mod. That proved disastrous. I even created two saves of the very same family, just in case the unthinkable happened. Which it did. Other times, it was a Patch that derailed things.

Still, another time I'd gotten my Global Superstar married and upon his becoming a father, somehow I got bored. :open_mouth: Pretty strange coming from a family play-style player, eh? I realized after restarting him and pairing him up with yet another spouse I'd created for him in CAS, that once again when family play got boring, that something was definitely wrong. This went on until he was restarted at least three more times. (Ultimately, I went through at least four different Sims before I found the "One".) When I accidentally lost the Sim he'd finally chosen (one of the two he was interested in) for his bride, I made an unbelievable error. In my household the term Operator Malfunction totally applies to this gaff I made. I use the MCCC mod. I have it set for more than 8 on a lot (Sh, don't tell anybody.) If you decide to do that, do so with caution. You cannot. Let me repeat CANNOT go into the game's CAS without losing any and all Sims over the magic number of 8. Silly me, I already was over, by 1. But, I needed to know the now Toddler twins were truly identical, which meant taking them into cas.fulleditmode, aging them up and then back down, once I could clearly see they were carbon copies of each other. When I came back out of CAS, I realized I had made a HUGE mistake. One of the Sims was missing. Yes, you guessed it, it was the fiancée of my Global Superstar. Thing is, when you lose a Sim in this fashion, it's as if they never existed in the game. No tears, no nothing. But, I played things through, sharing my Sims' stories on a thread over here. I decided she'd left him. Eventually, he found the ring atop a note under the family bulletin board. He was devastated. I had him go on a bender, so to speak, and he met the love of his life while at a bar. She came with a Toddler and was newly divorced. Then another PATCH hit. Wiped out that game save totally. To fix things, I had to start a brand new game save, but I did so with a slight twist. I took this new Sim, generated parents for her and then two sisters. I made them triplets. They all went to Uni together, the girls in one dorm my YA Global Superstar and his three siblings all living in Wyvern Dorm, the other dorm. They ran into each other very occasionally, as they had in Del Sol Valley while in high school. When it came for their married life, I decided to take things ever so MUCH SLOWER than I've ever played it before. You know what? I'm still playing this game and I'm not in the least bit bored.

My advice. Take it nice and slow. Leave yourself a goal for the next gaming session and go from there. Always leave yourself something you wish to achieve when you save and then exit. (I never do the save and exit together.) I save, then choose exit. That way, you should have some incentive to take your Sims to the next step, as it were. Hope this helps. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited January 2021
    Just read through the challenges if the idea of one of them makes you smile or gets you excited give it a try. I would advise if it goes totally, totally against your game play style or includes something you hate to do in your game to of course avoid it. Like I know I get bored playing legacies. I even tried one that had other elements I like in it once but I know once I hit that family making living with multiple sims in a household day in and day out.. It's just not something I can follow through on. Also you can use a challenge as a guide or make your own up by mixing parts of them together.
    I like things like black widow challenges, asylum stuff ect. It plays into my need to be somewhat deviant in my game, so find one that plays into something you like to do in your game but maybe with a bit more structure.

Right now I'm playing One Month One World One Year by @Karababy52 and we are about to switch to a new world. If you want to jump in it might be a good time to do that if you have many packs. We are going to Windenburg next month, but it's even structured so you can chose another world if you don't have all the packs. Mostly it involves sharing a screenshot of your gameplay for every day of the year you play, your sim moves to a new world every real life month and has to complete the aspiration related to that world. How much or little you play is up to you. The main thing is to get a picture in daily (if you have problems with being sick or other life things you can play catch up). I think the best thing about this challenge is it's mostly a guide and people are playing their own way... but there is a nice sense of community and engagement about your gameplay.
    ... or look into another one that is just starting that way you get to know the others following it!

I've also played out TRADE OFF - TS4 GAME-PLAY CHALLENGE BY EQCREATIONS, the creator of that challenge did pass away but that was the first challenge I finished as is, mostly because it was pretty low pressure but still engaging. It involved basically having 2 sims with completely opposite traits live with each other... but you had to trade off and only play one of them a week, you couldn't control the other at that time, of course goals had to be met also.

I liked both of these challenges because they weren't too hard or pressured and I learned things about the game I might not otherwise play with.

I also suffer from restartitis. I find that I get new ideas and have to pursue them then my old save gets shelved for awhile. Personally I can't merge all of my saves because my ideas usually revolve around a theme that I like to use the whole save for... Like I have a Stardew Valley save that I rotate in, and I have a Horror Movie themed save that I add to and rotate in, and many more. I do go back them usually because I'm missing them or we get something new in the game that makes me think of a character I want to create or go back and play with in those saves or adds to a characters life and often get drawn right back in.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    When I first got Sims 4, I started it, and ended up deleting everything to start from scratch.
    I don't play challenges, but I have come up with an idea on how to keep myself interested in the game.
    I decided to split up my save files into different categories of what I want to do with the game.
    I have one save file dedicated to recreating some Sims I created in Sims 2, and I am slowly bringing back a select few families I created. I plan to play it, and compare it to my Sims 2 to see if the same Sims get married in both versions, and what kind of families they end up with.
    Two save files I have are a mixture of Sims I made for the game, and some character Sims I downloaded from the gallery. For example, I have a Sim I created living in the same town as a lord of the rings based Sim.
    I created a save file dedicated to Frozen where I created Sims that are canon, semi-canon, AUs, and genderbent versions of the characters. For example, I have a Frozen family where Anna and Elsa's parents are still alive, and are grandparents to Anna's kids.
    I have another save file I am starting for Harry Potter with the same kind of premise I did with the Frozen save file.
    Since doing this, I have not deleted or restarted my game. It also keeps me entertained as well.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member

Hope this helps!

This is fantastic advice, and really helps contribute to the feeling not just of playing a family or a dynasty or a single Sim or whatever but actually building a living, breathing universe with its own characters, stories, and expanded lore like a Marvel Cinematic Universe for little computer people.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,896 Member
    Thank you all for the input and suggestions.
    I don’t know for sure about putting all my characters straight into a single save, but I’ll keep the idea as a way to combat the restartitis going forward. Maybe I can even gradually introduce some of them...

The idea of the TradeOff looks very intriguing. I am also taking my time looking into some of the other specifics above.
    Am starting to think that I may not have slowed down the aging quite enough. I generally set MCCC to a “one week equals two years” but I may make that “one week=one year”.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited January 2021
    telemwill wrote: »
    Kimmer wrote: »

Hmm, I have never had anything change during my rotations, except sometimes body weight if I've played City Living. I always play with aging off and do not allow MCCC to make any progression changes with my Sims. Also I usually only change households at around 5 am. That keeps everyone on schedule for school and work. The part time baristas may still arrive a little late or hungry, but I only have one of those, so no big deal. I do set MCCC to minimize relationship decay.
    I think it's maybe fixed. Those things happened when I started playing Sims 4 on 2015. I don't use any mods, so I still have to deal with relationship decay, missing work and school when changing household. I try to prevent the latter by changing the household when it's night time.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,377 Member
    I have several households I play in random rotation. They socialize together if they meet randomly out in the neighbourhood, and they visit each other or go bar hopping together, so even when I am not playing them I still know what they have been up to and sometimes their storylines get altered because of whatever happens when I am not directly playing them. I personally find it's more interesting to have several different storylines going on and would be bored silly playing with just one family. Maybe the variety is what keeps you focused on the game as well.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @NRowe

Hope this helps!

This is such good advice I have bookmarked the page :)
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    Maybe restarting isn't a bad thing, it might just be one of the best ways to play sims, which is why a lot of people do it. This game is so expansive, that its fun to try different things, not every save has to be a 10 gen legacy, honestly after a while legacy files get bloated. After 15 gens of my old legacy, it ended up kind of a hot mess. Why not make new saves if you want, play them till you get bored, then save the sims to your library to use as neighbors in other saves, they'll never be gone or deleted that way, just retired to their own freedom. I don't think save files need to be infinite, sims is made for trying out fun new ways to play. Of course, legacies are fun, so you can have saves that you invest a lot of time into, its nice to get that progression, but you can have other saves on the side.

This is a thing I've struggled with, so I'm kinda telling myself this too. Like, its okay to restart, the beginning phase of a save is usually the most fun part. Getting bored of things is natural. :)
  • ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    edited January 2021

Hope this helps!

Yes, rotating thru a lot of households made it more interesting.
    Another way I found to get interested in playing the game was to play a legacy, but each gen I focus on a new pack where I have to explore as much of it as I can.
    Of couse, some packs you can't do that in one single generation like Get To Work, where if you play with a single sim you won't be able to have a retail as well as 3 active jobs at the same time, so you can play with multiple sims or explore some of the packs in multiple generations.
    I had other saves before that, and I thought a way to delete those saves, while reintroducing the characters I've loved from this saves in my game. Sometimes I marry a premade sim from the world that came with the pack I'm playing or I marry one of the sims I created a long time ago and abandoned.
  • RainCl0udRainCl0ud Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi! I have the same problem, I get bored on the Sims VERY easily. My favorite challenge is this: History challenge: in this challenge you start as cavemen with very little supplies. You go through different "eras" as the world begins to evolve. You can find the rules for this on many gaming websites.
    @ACruelButLovingGod and @SPARKY1922 I'm feeling very flattered that you guys like my playing style and approach <3
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Maybe restarting isn't a bad thing, it might just be one of the best ways to play sims, which is why a lot of people do it. This game is so expansive, that its fun to try different things, not every save has to be a 10 gen legacy, honestly after a while legacy files get bloated. After 15 gens of my old legacy, it ended up kind of a hot mess. Why not make new saves if you want, play them till you get bored, then save the sims to your library to use as neighbors in other saves, they'll never be gone or deleted that way, just retired to their own freedom. I don't think save files need to be infinite, sims is made for trying out fun new ways to play. Of course, legacies are fun, so you can have saves that you invest a lot of time into, its nice to get that progression, but you can have other saves on the side.

This is a thing I've struggled with, so I'm kinda telling myself this too. Like, its okay to restart, the beginning phase of a save is usually the most fun part. Getting bored of things is natural. :)

This is sound advice and almost exactly what I do since I love to play challenges. I have many, many saves from challenges I've completed or are in progress. I also have a couple custom save templates that I use which contain my own Sims from completed challenges or other gameplay saves. I put them in there to act as townies/NPCs or potential friends/spouses for the current Sim I'm playing in a new save.

It's so much fun seeing them from time to time. It makes me smile and gives a sense of nostalgia too remembering the fun I had playing with them. I love doing this because, as you've said, these Sims get to continue as an important part of your gameplay after you've finished playing with them for whatever they were originally intended.

I see nothing wrong with 'restarting' as many times as you want! A lot of the time I make a new Sim every time a new pack comes out just to explore the gameplay, or even more than one if I want to experiment/test out different ways to play with the gameplay in the pack. I have at least 4-6 saves just for EL and at least that many for DU and many other packs as well. If we were meant to play only one save ever, there wouldn't be an option to start another save in the game. At least that's how I feel about it. :)

Happy Simming! <3
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    This is me but with builds. Can never stay dedicated to a build. I feel your pain.