Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Townies at university started aging

So when I first started playing this game a year ago, I just had the base game plus UL. So I'd gotten used to the fact that the townies at the university don't age, which was kind of weird when the second generation of a family would go there and meet sims who are the same age as they were when their parents met them a generation before. But recently I added several more EPs; I added Ambitions a while back and nothing changed with the university sims, but then more recently I installed WA and Late Night. Now I'm noticing that university sims are aging. Several of the sims I knew and loved have become elders. I'm guessing that one of the new EPs, probably WA, is the reason; thoughts?

Comments

• KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Do you have any other mods, like NRaaS? Those will cause the sims in other worlds to age. I've never played without NRaaS mods, so I don't know.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2021
    Under EA standard, sims in foreign worlds are supposed to age (really the aging is held pending in the TravelDB file and the numbers reflecting their ages are each incremented by 1 each sim day) and catch up to what should be their current age the next time the foreign world is simulated. That's why we saw so many threads complaining about Geriatric University after a few generations go by. I don't know why that wouldn't be happening with a base game + Uni combo without the other packs but it does seem possible that WA is really what changed things. I've never played Uni without WA in place since Uni was released so much later in the pack cycle back then. WA was, after all, the first EP released.

NRaas mods don't "cause" sims in foreign worlds to age, actually nothing changes sims in worlds during the times they are not simulated. NRaas Traveler provides an option to have foreign world sims age or not, again by way of the data being held pending in the TravelDB file, as the player wishes on a per world basis. This setting is made in each homeworld being actively played. The default is Ageless Off for each world, which means the same as what should be EA standard, but it doesn't have to stay that way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    My apologies. I misunderstood how Traveler works and the EA standard then. :|
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • NitroglycolNitroglycol Posts: 121 Member
    In case it's still relevant, no, I don't have NRaaS or any other mods.

Based on what igazor says and my own experience, it sounds like UL may have been written with the assumption that you'd already have WA, so they decided to save on re-coding the aging stuff.

At first blush it makes sense. I can see it becoming a geriatric thing right quick though, now that you mention it. I gather that with the foreign destinations in WA they replace the deceased with babies, but in UL I assume they'll replace them with young adults.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2021
    One thing EA did was arrange it so that if you ever land in a world where the entire population immediately catches up to an age so far advanced that they all die right away, some descendants are supposed to spawn so that your active party is not standing in a world all alone with no resident inhabitants. Uni World's demographics will always favor YAs and Adults, so a few of those should then spawn. And EA standard is supposed to replenish the transient non-resident student body with fresh blood if the geriatrics are no longer on the scene at least by around noon on that first Sunday, before the scheduled Meet and Greet.

The WA worlds wouldn't spawn babies, but the ages of these descendants might be more mixed and possibly include some teens.

Whether this happens reliably or not seems to be open to discussion even still, since many of us fooling around with the Uni EP with and without mods have already experienced what it's like for a single active student to be the only sim on campus for the term (this can't really have been intended).

Many of us having embraced mod usage get NRaas StoryProgression or some other force to repopulate the town and the student body with some fresh sims every so often, if we are trying to play long running multi-generational games. It can be funny for a sim to meet and befriend the same uni students that their great grandparents did, and there can all kinds of goofy things like finding great grandma still there as a YA if that's where she really started, but a lot of players don't really want those kinds of experiences in their games.

The important thing is that we have to approach elements of the game like the Uni student population with a huge sense of humor, no matter how we really want things to go. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited January 2021
    Never had the only active student, but a once or twice had the only one (or ones) graduating at the ceremony.

Related to meeting great grandma, I've had one of my sims marry a sim from uni, resulting in her name changing to his, and then the game thought she hadn't been used yet so had a version of her appear under her maiden name on a subsequent time one of mine went to uni.

As for sense of humour, you have to take the whole game in that way to fully appreciate it anyway.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    It happened in my game. My sim was the only active student, and there were no professors. After my sim graduated I deleted the travel files from the save so the Uni world would load with the sims in their original life stages the next time I sent a sim.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I disabled other towns aging via nraas mod, dont remember which mod though.

Premade University sims is so good that (look and their choice of clothing/traits) no matter how good player created or game generated sims, it still won't be enough.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    I hear ya about the premades, for befriending/bringing home/marrying. Sometimes the randomly generated ones are OK, but sometimes not.

Even before I installed WA, some sims would eventually disappear from campus and get replaced by randomly generated ones; I always assumed that happened when they finished every degree there was and thus couldn't stay on campus any longer.
    izecson wrote: »
    Premade University sims is so good that (look and their choice of clothing/traits) no matter how good player created or game generated sims, it still won't be enough.

Mika Moore, Liz Terry, Ye Gangnam, etc. :D And I hear the ladies like Anoki Moon, too.
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    Mika Moore, Liz Terry, Ye Gangnam, etc. :D And I hear the ladies like Anoki Moon, too.

And Shasha Parks.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    izecson wrote: »

My favorites are Gabi Ahmad, Asala Karam, Tiffany Angles, Ann Conner, Cid Serverus, Eddie Mullies, Kyle Heilman and The Two Premades Plantsims

Anoki Moon is too typical of a Jock lol, but he is always my sims's bros somehow.
    ihavemultiplegamertags