Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Most underrated worlds? Most overrated?

Comments

• BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    Overrated: Mt. Komo, too many shells and an empty town square

Underrated: Brindleton Bay

So what? I like rain. :wink:
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    Sylvan Glade is underrated, by devs! it could be bigger & livable, i'd love it.
    would be interesting if we get a fairies, unicorns, werewolves & dragons kind of pack that comes with an expanded & livable Sylvan Glade. it could have an idyllic aspect where fairies & unicorns would convive and then the dark woods where werewolves hide alongside dragons.
  • foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    I really like having sims live in Magnolia Promenade. The fishing spot is pretty, there's a nice playground, with seasons there's a cute little food stand area and a big skating rink in the park. And it all looks really pretty in winter. I think it gets overlooked a lot.

I want to love Windenberg, but I bought Seasons before I got Get Together so basically it's always dark and gloomy clouds, rain and thunderstorms, or freezing cold. And the dog walking path in the vicinity of the Munch house will utterly exhaust your sims. I don't think I'm ever going to enjoy it as much as people who bought that EP when it came out.

I turned off rain and thunderstorms when I got seasons - the umbrellas drove me up the wall

strangerville is underrated - its gorgeous

not exactly overrated but id rather say least favourite is san myshuno - not a big city fan
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I would agree that Oasis Springs is underrated, particularly this far along into The Sims 4's development cycle. It's definitely in my top three, as it looks a lot like home. Bedrock Strait is probably my favorite neighborhood in the world, and I spent a lot of time building lots of all sorts on Pebble Burrow.

Oasis Springs aside, I'd go with the following selections for overrated/underrated.

Overrated: Windenburg. This world is a top pick for a lot of people, but I think it's kind of average. I don't think that the architecture is all that interesting, and a lot of the lots are just used for hosting parties that I almost never attend, or at least I didn't back before the invites were broken.

Underrated: Brindleton Bay. I think that a lot of people sleep on this world, but I love the coastal New England aesthetic. Sure, there's a lot of precipitation year round -- I had a record of 19 straight days with rain one summer and just finished winter with 17 straight days of snow -- but my vampires love it.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,862 Member
    I LOVE Oasis Springs, always will <3 I also like Strangerville and BB :)

I dislike Windenburg, I just do not see the charm of it.

@OEII1001 , about the invitations, I am not sure but lately my sims have again had invitations at ruins, Bluffs or the mansion.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Forgotten Hollow is perfection

people trash it cause it only got 5 lots and only activities is fishing and chess

but there is vlad statue in the center looking absolutely gorgeous and the roads are in shape of coffin and the vibes are so good so iconic

like if you, like me
    are type of person who has once walked roads of peaceful dark village illuminated only by some street lights you will know its a whole vibe one can not live without

also granite falls is super useful if only i could choose what theme i want there cause i can do whatever i want

other than that though my opinions are quite in line with popular opinion i think
    windenburg, brindleton, sulani,selvadorada all good vibes to exist in

I don't really like newcrest cause of the odd shell building mix that makes it feel very american no matter what I build

willow creek ive gotten bored of

oasis and strangerville fun sometimes but im just not desert gal and i like colder climates most of the time

del sol can't make up my mind cause its again one of worlds that i find hard to build in cause america vibe but i like parts of it

mt.k also some part very fond of but other part bit eh about

harbor dont have yet so idk

glimmerbrook conflicted about cause the portal always making sound being there and driveways being weird irritate me

magnolia mostly meh but i built some lots there that i really like so its useful i guess

university world..as said makes me feel like im playing university so i don't tend to live there at other times

San Myshuno i like especially spice district but i feel like some parts like arts place feels little dead to stay at

They did Forgotten Hollow dirty. I would have even been happy with it being as big as Del Sol Valley or StrangerVille. There's no neighborhood's, no districts, nothing.

If you want it to look like an actual town, you have to sacrifice at least 2 of the 5 lots for commercial space (in my opinion). I had a diner and a nightclub but that only left 3 lots for families. It's frustrating trying to be creative in Forgotten Hollow, and it's my favorite world.

I'll say the same for Glimmerbook. It's so frustrating building there trying to make what little you have work.
  • VikVik Posts: 125 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    19 straight days with rain one summer and just finished winter with 17 straight days of snow -- but my vampires love it.
    Yeah I realized that that they would be much safer from the sun there. A pretty good place for vampires to go to and live.

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    Magnolia Promenade imho is the most underrated. It's already been said here, but yeah, just knock down everything and put your own stuff in. I actually moved the Landgraab mansion there from Oasis Springs, built a funky furniture & dance retail store, moved my spa there. Still haven't decided what to do with the last lot. I'll probably knock it down and put in a restaurant maybe since I realized I don't even HAVE a restaurant anywhere in my game yet. I have a mod that allows some "live in" businesses so the Mansion has a nightclub in part of it now. The off-lot stuff is actually quite good for a "small" world. Of course it's basically meant to be in the center of Willow Creek. ;)

I'll try to remember to take some fresh screenies.

Most overrated? Tough call on that in my opinion. Windenburg maybe? Don't get me wrong though, I love the world, just find it hard to get established in, so far in my game. I don't like wiping out premades any more if I don't have to (unless they prove boring in my play-style), I'd like to at least know the characters first. Sims 4 is my first The Sims game so I don't have the archaic knowledge like some other people here for Sims 1,2,3. :p

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    At everyone's praises at Magnolia Promenade, I actually took a look at the lots. I downloaded some renovations for the furniture and clothing store, keep Paddywack as is (because nothing in the Gallery fit it's ecletic vibe and I liked that) and downloaded a bowling alley meant for the free slot. It was either that or search for a restaurant but when I saw the bowling alley I was like "ooooo! Need more of those!"
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Vik wrote: »
    I don't have Strangerville because I don't care about the story line. However the world is very nice and if I could just get the world it would be cool. The canyons are so beautiful.
    You don't have to play the story.

I absolutely love Strangerville, such a shame it doesn't have more Lots. Same goes for Forgotten Hollow and Glimmerbrook. All so amazing.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I absolutely love Strangerville, such a shame it doesn't have more Lots. Same goes for Forgotten Hollow and Glimmerbrook. All so amazing.

Finally someone who understands me! People always hate on Glimmerbrook for being too small, Forgotten Hollow for being too dark and too small, and StrangerVille for being a desert and too strange and too small, despite it being the biggest world we've ever gotten in a GP so far. And yeah, I wholeheartedly agree that they all could have used more lots, but they're still among my top 5 favourite worlds (the other two being Mt. Komorebi and Selvadorada; the exact ranking varies based on my mood).
  • Cassieb95Cassieb95 Posts: 347 Member
    I dont know if they're underrated, but San Myshuno, Glimmerbrook and Forgotten Hollow are my favs.

I think Selvadorada and Windenburg are overrated.
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    I think Strangerville is one of the most worlds we have in game to date, so many people seem to just associate it with the pack storyline but it's gorgeous to just live in.

I've been playing in Glimmerbrook a lot lately and I think it has some of the best lighting, the sunsets are really nice, only rivalled by Windenburg's island ones I think.

I'd agree Sulani's overrated, I do think it's stunning but I don't really gravitate towards playing there, it's more of a destination to me.

My favourite world is Brindleton Bay because it reminds me of where I live IRL, I like me a moody coastline. But I don't think that ones is underrated, I believe many people like that world. I do think Cats and Dogs is worth it just for Brindleton Bay alone, which may be a more controversial opinion, but I do rate it that highly :)
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    I think Willow Creek may be a teeny bit underrated. I love that world, because especially with Peterskywalker's
    Improved Weather Variety for Worlds it is so much like where I live. A lot of the worlds are too gloomy and/or cold for me. The above mod changes the weather in WC where it's warmer far more of the year, and winters are more cloudy and rainy than snowy. It rarely snows in WC with the mod, which I enjoy. As for overrated, hmm, maybe Windenberg? I think it's beautiful but I was never able to be happy playing there. The best patch update (IMO!) we've gotten is the ability to put rental lots in any world. It always irked me that sims could just travel to another world with a vastly different climate and aesthetic like they were going downtown. Now my sims don't go to another world unless they take a vacation there. I also love Magnolia Promenade. It's an extension of Willow Creek for me. I wish it had more than 4 lots, but it is what it is. I put down 2 houses and 2 businesses. I also have businesses scattered around WC. My sims never have to leave their home world(s) except to go on vacation.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Oasis Springs is an absolute gem, and the "starter neighborhood" is well-populated in my save with sims who have had stories of their own and made friends and neighbors with other sims whose stories I'll circle back to from time to time. The great weather and the desert vibe (I've lived in Nevada and it reminds me of the outback in that state outside of Reno and Vegas) combine for a joy to play.

Newcrest in my game has become "Markovgorod" since it is literally all houses occupied by various generations of my game's largest (and richest—they make the Landgraabs look like paupers!) family. There's a row of empty house lots I haven't quite figured out what I want to do with yet, though. Might make it a commercial district. Might find some apartment buildings in the gallery. Or might do what I've done now, leave it unbuilt for more Markovs and their descendants.

As for most overrated? I'm really just not in love with Del Sol Valley. I referred to it in another thread as "undercooked". Not enough lots, and they totally missed an opportunity with that LA/Hollywood vibe. The "celebrity hot spots" don't feel any more famous-y than the Blue Velvet nightclub in Willow Creek.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I think Forgotten Hollow is some what overrated. I like the general spooky vibe of the world but it's just so small and there is not really much for the vampires to do there.

Underrated is Oasis Springs. It's actually beautiful and I love playing families in this world.
  • VikVik Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2021
    because especially with Peterskywalker's
    Improved Weather Variety for Worlds it is so much like where I live.
    Thanks for sharing the mod. I used Total Weather Overhaul before for the weather change. Imma check this one out.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    Vik wrote: »
    because especially with Peterskywalker's
    Improved Weather Variety for Worlds it is so much like where I live.
    Thanks for sharing the mod. I used Total Weather Overhaul before for the weather change. Imma check this one out.

No problem. I really like it.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    For underrated, I'd say Forgotten Hollow. The tiny amount of lot space really works against it, but it's a beautiful, atmospheric world. I love it and would give my left arm for it to be made bigger.

Brindleton Bay is underrated because of weather complaints but it's probably my favourite world so far. I could happily live there irl (which I guess would be New England?). I love the rain and snow. I also like the weather in Windenburg and play there a lot, though I don't use the island much because I just sit there thinking "but how do they get OFF the island to go to work?".

I'm not a fan of desert worlds so for me personally they're overrated. I've got an actress living in Del Sol Valley right now but I think as soon as she hits the top fame level I'm gonna have her move.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    My main family has lived in Willow Creek since I got the game in 2017 and I haven't moved them. There's something so classic about it that I've never had the desire to put them elsewhere. I'm also playing a challenge right now where my sim lives in a different world every month and they can't leave the world they are in during that month (give or take a few exceptions), and I just did Willow Creek for a this past month and I found I really enjoyed it - I also love that Willow Creek contains the Sylvan Glade.

I also really love Brindleton Bay. I've found there's a lot of nice off grid areas around the lots (like the pet cemetery and lighthouse, but also some stuff around the dock area too) so I've always just loved exploring that world and finding small little hidden things. Also such a beautiful world.

I also don't have that many packs (working on getting some more for this challenge I'm doing haha), so I don't have a lot of those flashy new or occult worlds, so I do tend to appreciate worlds like Oasis Springs and Willow Creek because of this.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited January 2021
    I think Brindleton Bay is overrated, though a fairly good size not somewhere I would enjoy living.

Strangerville is very underrated, for a game pack it’s a decent size town, and beautiful. Oasis Springs is also beautiful to me. Reminds me of the desert I grew up in, minus the creeks, and it should have had Joshua tree’s. I use it sort of as a Palm Sorings, it is mostly a resort/vacation place ( many community lots ) in my main save. Both of these are underrated.

Since I love Windenburg so much I would say it Is underrated, somewhere I’d really enjoy living. A large beautiful world.

The town in Discover University is way too small, and I don’t like the small lots. The same with Del sole valley, way too small..... I wanted a middle class residential section there. Both of these are overrated.

I Like glimmerbrooke, I use it as if it is a residential right outside granite falls, and it’s underrated.

Magnolia promenade is underrated too, but it is way too small....

Silvadorado is very underrated I love the way it looks, wish some of my sims could live there.

Sulani is underrated, it’s beautiful

Forgotten hollow has the exact feeling it’s supposed to have and underrated, wish it were bigger.

I also think San Myshuno is underrated wish it too were bigger.

Newcest is underrated, wish we had some more blank worlds like it....

Willow creak is overrated, not a very interesting town to me.

I haven’t played Snowy escape enough to judge that one yet, but think it should have had some bigger lots in the two parts of town below the Mountain.

Haven’t played Eco Living enough to decide about that town either. I do wish the Industrial part was a bit bigger. It seems like a good place for a some run down businesses.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    edited January 2021
    I like Del Sol Valley *hides*. This world is generally hated for it size, but I like what it offers although being compact. Mirage Park has good grunge in it and that lot with two driveways leading to it is inspiring for duplex houses or row houses even. I admit the Pinnacles is a little too posh for me, none of my sims have the money to move there. I placed there some amazing mansions that can be rented for big bucks. The view is really something. Starlight Boulevard is the area I really love, it's always a pleasure to visit. The boulevard with plaques is a really cool idea.

I have my favourites and least favourites in other worlds too, but none really stand out as severely underrrated as Del Sol Valley. Willow Creek perhaps? It's one of my favourites still. Then again I feel Newcrest is maybe a bit overrated. You can have a blank world by bulldozing everything and even make a starter save out of it so you don't have to do it every time. It's not a bad world, but visually it's just a copy of Willow Creek and I prefer variety.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited January 2021
    Glimmerbrook is actually a really lovely world that I keep forgetting about because it's so small. I wish they'd have given us this world with like 10-15 lots and some more distinction in the neighbourhoods (while maintaining the tucked-away aspect of it all). Still, for the Paranormal pack, it's actually pretty perfect. I can't really put a haunted house in the snowy part of Mt. Komorebi (where I initially planned to put it) just because it a) has to have a slightly Japanese style and b) it's weird to have a haunted house right next to the ski slopes and stuff. I also can't put it in the most heavily populated worlds. So Glimmerbrook seemed like a natural choice & made me realize how easy it is to forget about it.

Overrated? To me that's Windenburg. I like it, it's large, it's a bit different but between that and BB, I'll choose BB every time because Deadgrass Isle is perfection (those sunsets <3 that isolation), and it's nice for sims to walk around in. I really almost never play in Windenburg.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Overrated: Windenburg. I love it, but I don't understand why it seems to be almost everyone's favourite. I find the builds quite gloomy, although I love the Tudor style. I'm not really into modern builds or parties either. It is a great world, but I think some of our more recent worlds are even better.

Underrated: Willow Creek maybe. It gets forgotten, but I often come back to it. It's a charming classic and I agree Magnolia Promenade fits well with it.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Overrated- Windenburg, it seems such a fan favourite. I find it dull and boring with the weather and it comes with way too many lots that I have never used them all. Maybe it's a bit too similar to what I am used to in real life so it takes that edge off a medieval town for me and seems mundane.

Underrated- Glimmerbrook, I love this world so much it feels like a village. In my game I've turned it into a Yorkshire in the UK stone village and has the quiet village feel to it I love so much. It's perfect for outdoor and athletic sims who occupy it at the moment. For me it's a prettier version of granite falls which I also love and feel the world and GP is underrated. Also I don't even play spellcasters or use the pack for the magic so it's not that which influences this decision.