Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Subscription Services in the Sims Yes or No?

Comments

• HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    No, I am not okay with paying each month to play the game. I want the base game and packs, DLC to be sold for standard prices like always
    The only way I could see this working is when your subscriptions runs out instead of losing access to what you paid for your just locked out of future updates until you pay. The problem with this however is that if one of the updates is supernatural and a player doesn't like that stuff they'd essentially be paying for nothing and wasting their money.
  • intothehorizoneintothehorizone Posts: 88 Member
    No, I am not okay with paying each month to play the game. I want the base game and packs, DLC to be sold for standard prices like always
    as someone who used to be a longtime player of a (sort of) subscription-based online game, i really hope that this is not the future for the sims 5.
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    No way in seven hells. If that will be the case, then bye-bye Sims 5 from me (and I wasn't all that interested in it to begin with)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I saw an article claiming that a subscription service would be cheaper for players because it will be a small monthly fee rather than paying a large amount for all the DLC. This claim completely excludes players like me who only buy packs that interests them. Where I live to own all the packs at full price would be over $1000, but I have not spent even a quarter of that figure on my game. A $10 monthly subscription would cost $120 a year.

@Sallycutecat Yes, a 10$ monthly subscriptions doesn't sound like a lot of money, at least that's what a lot of people say.
    But these people need to consider, if we take the Sims 4 as an example, imagine having paid 10$ each month (believe me it would be more expensive) since release day. That's 6 years so about 720$ so far. That's a lot of money just on sims and believe me the price will likely be even higher maybe 14,99$ or something.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I saw an article claiming that a subscription service would be cheaper for players because it will be a small monthly fee rather than paying a large amount for all the DLC. This claim completely excludes players like me who only buy packs that interests them. Where I live to own all the packs at full price would be over $1000, but I have not spent even a quarter of that figure on my game. A $10 monthly subscription would cost $120 a year.

@Sallycutecat Yes, a 10$ monthly subscriptions doesn't sound like a lot of money, at least that's what a lot of people say.
    But these people need to consider, if we take the Sims 4 as an example, imagine having paid 10$ each month (believe me it would be more expensive) since release day. That's 6 years so about 720$ so far.

Actually that's pretty much how much it does cost for people who buy every pack on release, if you bought all the DLC from last year at full price that adds up to exactly $120, so people who buy every pack on release are essentially already paying 10 bucks a month.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Onverser wrote: »

But these people need to consider, if we take the Sims 4 as an example, imagine having paid 10$ each month (believe me it would be more expensive) since release day. That's 6 years so about 720$ so far.

Actually that's pretty much how much it does cost for people who buy every pack on release, if you bought all the DLC from last year at full price that adds up to exactly $120, so people who buy every pack on release are essentially already paying 10 bucks a month.

But for people like me its not worth it. Ive never owned every pack for any of the sims games, and ive played all of them.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    So out of curiosity: what would happen if they stopped supporting the game? lol I don't really see how this could work.
    edited January 2021

@Onverser Yes, but that means it would have to be 10$ and not more. Also, not everyone buys every pack and if they do probably most people buy them on sale for less.
    Though the sims 4 with all DLC costs around 700-800$ I doubt that a lot of people actually spent so much money on it. Sales are what makes people buy the packs, at least in my case. And the Sims 4 is overpriced itself anyway. If someone showed you the Sims 4 complete with all DLC and said that will cost you 750$, would you buy it? I know I wouldn't.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I have played a game, two in fact, where it was required to pay each month. If you don't, you can't play. Life sometimes can get dicey financially. I would much rather NOT have to depend on a paycheck coming in, the bills be 'normal' and that we have the funds in the bank in order for me to play my game. I purchase the game to start with and in some cases the cost is too high for the content in the base game, as it is. I should be able to play it when the funds are not there. Please, don't fleece your community, EA. I'm not in the least bit interested in playing this game online!

this I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

@Onverser Yes, but that means it would have to be 10$ and not more. Also, not everyone buys every pack and if they do probably most people buy them on sale for less.
    Though the sims 4 with all DLC costs around 700-800$ I doubt that a lot of people actually spent so much money on it. Sales are what makes people buy the packs, at least in my case. And the Sims 4 is overpriced itself anyway. If someone showed you the Sims 4 complete with all DLC and said that will cost you 750$, would you buy it? I know I wouldn't.

also you would most likely lose access to the game if you stopped paying where as if you buy the sims 4 base game you don't have to pay anything else to enjoy it any time you want I cant afford to spend 750 on something I can't keep
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

also you would most likely lose access to the game if you stopped paying where as if you buy the sims 4 base game you don't have to pay anything else to enjoy it any time you want I cant afford to spend 750 on something I can't keep

Not to mention that you can still continue playing the game long after they stopped updating it. TS3 ended 6 years ago and people are still playing it at no cost at all. With subscriptions you play only as long as you pay.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited January 2021
    Other

It will probably be like other game subscription services, where you can buy packs and dlc for normal price and own it forever, or subscribe to a subscription service (like EA Play or EA Play Pro) and get access to everything. Then you can buy packs that you want to own later when they are on sale or something.

That would mean that your saves would have to be separate though, so that would be annoying, because if you stop subscribing then you can only play the packs that you own, which would break your save.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Other
    NO, NEVER. :s
    edited January 2021

Yeah, but my point is just that that's how much a lot of people already spend without realising it. I always shop around and save money wherever I can but I know a lot of people just buy everything on release and pay full price, so technically the full "annual price" of the game is already equivalent to 10 bucks a month. A $10 a month subscription with every pack on release day wouldn't actually cost any more than it already does for the same thing if that makes sense. Still ridiculously overpriced though.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

Yeah, but my point is just that that's how much a lot of people already spend without realising it. I always shop around and save money wherever I can but I know a lot of people just buy everything on release and pay full price, so technically the full "annual price" of the game is already equivalent to 10 bucks a month. A $10 a month subscription with every pack on release day wouldn't actually cost any more than it already does for the same thing if that makes sense. Still ridiculously overpriced though.

It would cost $10/month only if you play it for 6 years. If you want to play it for 10 years it would cost a lot more. I can still play my TS3 and TS2 games, and even TS1 but I don't have to pay anything for them. Same with TS4, once it's developments ends you can play it for however long it will continue to be available in Origin at no additional cost. If you want to play TS5 at $10/month subscription it will cost a lot more than $720 if you eventually end up playing it for 10 years or more. And there is no re-sale value in a subscription service.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    No thanks. I already pay a monthly fee to play World of Warcraft and that's enough for me. I don't mind paying for WoW since we can't customize that game like we can with a Sims game. My husband also plays WoW as well as Star Trek Online, so when STO came out, it was a pay to play game and so the hubby would end up cancelling his WoW subscription to play STO and then cancel that one to go back to WoW. But of course the company who has STO finally got rid of the monthly fee as they didn't have too many players playing the game. And so because my hubby would cancel one subscription from one of his games to play another, I wouldn't want to do that as I tend to play WoW a lot and the Sims on occasion and would feel like it'll be a waste of money for me.
    edited January 2021
    crocobaura wrote: »

It would cost $10/month only if you play it for 6 years. If you want to play it for 10 years it would cost a lot more. I can still play my TS3 and TS2 games, and even TS1 but I don't have to pay anything for them. Same with TS4, once it's developments ends you can play it for however long it will continue to be available in Origin at no additional cost. If you want to play TS5 at $10/month subscription it will cost a lot more than $720 if you eventually end up playing it for 10 years or more. And there is no re-sale value in a subscription service.

I know lmao I'm only saying that some people already pay $120 a year for the game.
    crocobaura wrote: »

I know lmao I'm only saying that some people already pay $120 a year for the game.

@Onverser Sorry, I just read your comment from before and got what you mean.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited January 2021
    I've come to the end with Sims 4 after 20 plus years and won't start with a Sims 5 as I'm too old probably to see it out to the end. I've got too many subscriptions to pay overall anyway as I'm the only payer.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    This poll speaks volumes. If they were to change the distribution model it would alienate a massive percentage of the fan base, including myself. I've stuck with The Sims 4 even though it is seriously lacking in gameplay and personalities for the Sims themselves, but I will be finished with this franchise if they go down that route.
  • TnT_TerryTnT_Terry Posts: 6,629 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    This poll speaks volumes. If they were to change the distribution model it would alienate a massive percentage of the fan base, including myself. I've stuck with The Sims 4 even though it is seriously lacking in gameplay and personalities for the Sims themselves, but I will be finished with this franchise if they go down that route.

I 2nd, 3rd and 4th this!!!!!

I will never be ok with EA messing in our sandboxes, same goes with flipping multiplayer horse manure!
    I own every basegame, EP, GP, SP and kits for all sims, ie.., sims 1, 2, 3 and 4
    I am a sims 3 Store Owner Thanks to all my Amazing friends here, and I do own all store stuff from sims 2 as well!

gjmdPt7.png
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    If they make the single player game subscription, they'll lose me. I don't care about multiplayer so they can do like Minecraft does for "Realms" (their multiplayer option.) But definitely not for single player gaming!
    edited January 2021
    Holiday wrote: »

Agree. You know I used to think I always had to move to the latest game in the franchise but if the Sims 4 taught me one thing, it is that I can just play the previous games and still have fun. I've been playing the Sims 2 for the past few years and if the sims 5 is not good I will just keep playing previous games.
    The franchise has reached a point where the appeal to buy new sims games just doesn't exist anymore. The games don't evolve as much as they used to before. If the game is subscription based it will take a really evolved and fresh sims experience for me to consider buying.
  • TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    Hard no on that one.

I honestly believe that would be my calling card to move on from the franchise onto other adventures.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • LiverickLiverick Posts: 50 Member
    I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as they deliver quality content. Something interesting would be to adjust the price according to country and region and their realities. But imagine, is it better to have 500 thousand people paying 5 dollars or 80 thousand paying 20 dollars? the answer is in the question ..