Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 subscription

There is a rumour that The Sims 5 will be a subscription service game. How do you feel about this?

This came from Pixlade on the Jobs page they are looking for some that is excited about subscription and cross platform. Now I know this could be related to Origen Access or whatever but the fact that it’s on the jobs page and relates to The Sims this is concerning to say the least.

Comments

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    It's just talking about EA play which the Sims is included in
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    Onverser wrote: »

I hope so
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I dont mind subscription service for multiplayer, but if its single id be against it. Well have to wait and see.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TwK1PY5xKI

Not surprising given its EA. Makes sense, they're going Live Service. Make it more multiplayer focused like Sims 4 originally was as Project Olympus AKA Sims Online 2. But whatever this is why Paralives is here. Just as City Skylines, Planet Coaster, and Planet Zoo saved us from the greed of Atari, EA, and Microsoft.
    While we can just says its a rumor. Remember this is EA. Look at the other games they've ruined over the years. Poor Dead Space, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Madden, FIFA, Command & Conquer, and SimCity for example.
    So while we can say rumor, I'll go with its confirmed given the history of the publisher.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • GreatestPlannerGreatestPlanner Posts: 78 Member
    They will do whatever is their plan, no matter what is best for the community. It has never been about that and sorry to say.. but things only get worse. Everything is being minimized and cut out but they ask more and more from us. I don't doubt that TS5 game will ruin every last bit of fun TS4 could even withhold. Imagine missing TS4? TS4!
    That is how I feel about it, so let's see.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    edited January 2021
    Onverser wrote: »

I think this is most likely. The job posting mentions subscription, but that may as well be a study to determine how much of the content should be available to each tier of EA Play.
    Or possibly consideration for Cloud gaming services - because those are subscription-based.
    ---
    Likewise, the mentioned "online features" may be nothing more than a gallery for TS5 or in-game chat, not a fully online game (which I doubt would attract as large an audience - many people play Sims to relax alone).
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited January 2021
    well quite simply put if i have to pay monthly to play a game i am not going to play the game

regardless of what type of game it is

if ts5 does something like this count on me to just go play ts1-4 and pretend it does not exist
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    Since the job listings mention online service experience I am thinking that they are looking into having some form online/multiplayer features. That said I think they would know very well that forcing players to be online at all times is what killed SimsCity and they had to scrap that feature from TS4 Olympus as a results but I do think they still want to add it in some form. Which is why I think they plan on having TS5 be both solo offline as well as multiplayer online. The offline play would function like it does in all sims game. Multiplayer would be optional and I think the best way to do it would be to make it where players make online groups. Kinda think of it like how in minecraft players can be in worlds that only they and their friends have access too. So I can see the subscription service being for multiplayer. Now whether this online subscription service would be separate like paying for a GTA online service or just be tied into EA Access kinda like how in Animal Crossing if you want to play with other players you have to pay for Nintendo's online service. I think that would probably be best. This way even if you aren't interested in online play but you use EA Access you have the option to look into the multiplayer feature or if you do want to play online you also get access to other games provided in the EA Access.

The other potential reason to have a subscription service would be subscription to have access to all packs without having to pay for each one. The issue with this is what if you cancel your sub do you lose access to all those packs or would there be a reward system in place? Like if I am subbed for 3 months I get the first EP so now it mine and even if I cancel my sub I still own it. This essentially makes it rent to own.
  • br00kie1br00kie1 Posts: 119 Member
    edited August 2021
    The idea of a pay monthly multiplayer online sims 5 makes me anxious, one made to fit cross platform ... it moves further away from what made sims great. An optional online play feature maybe ok, love the gallery in sims 4.
    But Sims was given me as a gift when a kid, there’s no way my family would have bought a monthly sub and I wouldn’t buy that for my kid either. EA really become greedier as they go. Still if EA mess it up there’s always Sims 2 to keep playing :/
    Post edited by br00kie1 on
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    It's probably just a rumor. I don't thin EA would be foolish enough to risk losing millions of fans or millions of dollars by making Sims 5 a subscription service. EA also knows that making Sims 5 a subscription service would kill the Sims franchise,and I don't think they want to risk killing a franchise that has a huge fanbase.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited January 2021
    It's probably just a rumor. I don't thin EA would be foolish enough to risk losing millions of fans or millions of dollars by making Sims 5 a subscription service. EA also knows that making Sims 5 a subscription service would kill the Sims franchise,and I don't think they want to risk killing a franchise that has a huge fanbase.

It was actually on a job posting on the official Maxis Career site. That's why people are concerned, because it came from Maxis regarding a Game Designer.

Game Designer
    Requisition Number:163848
    Date Opened:2021-01-22

Game Designer

At Maxis, we excel at outrageous thinking. It’s the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We’re trailblazers and great storytellers. But it’s not just about amazing your peers – it’s about amazing yourself and our fans. Take risks. Work with dazzling minds and dare to dream big. Together, we can change the way millions play every day. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best experience for our players.

High Level

Your role will be to support the continued iteration and development of Creative Tools prototypes. This will entail guiding cross-discipline groups toward a common defined vision as well as supporting efforts with design documents and implementation when necessary.

Working closely with XD, UXR and Production partners, you will use feedback and research insights gathered from these prototypes to prepare design documentation tasks. You will report into a Maxis Development Director.

Responsibilities

Drive the delivery of the following:

Helping to develop Vision Documentation and then guiding cross-discipline groups toward the vision.
    Creating design documentation to support prototyping efforts as needed.
    Partnering with DD to track tasks, identify risk, and clarify changes in work.
    Partner with UX to design, research, and implement features.
    Aiding leadership in CMR and Gate requirements.
    Playtesting, attending UXR sessions and participating in organizing feedback/insights.

Requirements

Significant Creative-Game Genre design experience, especially in the area of creation tools and customization mechanics.
    Capability to lead cross-discipline prototyping and idea iteration, actively participating in the development of a feature from start to finish.
    A good understanding of how content is built/implemented for creative games. Hands on implementation or modding experience is a plus.
    Excited by and participating in new business/distribution models like Subscription services and cross platform games.
    Knowledge in popular Sims Community mods and Custom Content would be ideal.
    Bonus includes familiarity with game streaming (ex: Twitch, Mixer)

https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/163848/game-designer?locale=en
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Gross. Not for me.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited January 2021
    I wonder if they may be planning on bring back the sims store like in ts3. All those items were optional and weren't really considered part of the main game. Could a sub service for that be what is in the works? I mean the amount of money you paid just for a set 10 items was like buying a SP in ts4 so I can see a subscription service maybe being for that. But then I would see it more as you pay a monthly service fee and you get all items from the store at discount or something like that like a store premium membership. I mean it sound crazy but there were a lot of ppl who bought every piece of store content.
  • jackoalajackoala Posts: 11 New Member
    For hardcore players this wouldn't be a bad thing? it sucks for people who would only play the base game though
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited January 2021
    jackoala wrote: »
    For hardcore players this wouldn't be a bad thing? it sucks for people who would only play the base game though

for hardcore player this would be very awful thing.

I listed about 10 things in quick rage storm and erased it cause it was too long :lol:

but to sum it up:

I don't own a money tree to be that confident about having money for sims every month or so without question
    ive got plenty other annoying things to pay for so whatever i manage to save up in year is the sims cash which means id probably only be able to play once a year : )

and neither does the poor kid with cheapskate parents who are hard enough to persuade to buy them a thing once a year for like christmas and its definitely not a subscription.
    also me but in past

also for anyone whos possible payment methods don't match ea this would mean ridiculous amounts of gift cards which also may or may not be available close to where you exist
    (in my case it takes pretty long drive to buy anything that ain't food)

and then there is people with unpredictable life schedules wasting tons of money to not even have time to play and the unfairness of if game is completely unplayably bugged when you subscribe to it

and the sad part being once its out of service you probably couldnt play it like you can play ts1 2 and 3 to this day if you got the games so that is dumb

and overall its just making things overly complicated for no reason other than EA wants more of your cash money

if you plan to play game long term it would most likely get ridiculously expensive as well even though in short time you wouldn't notice the issue
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2021
    The Sims 4’s DLC was originally going to be subscription-based. This was before the immense backlash the base game received due to lackluster gameplay and “scrapped” features. I’m not surprised EA is looking to get even more money out of us, which is despicable since the series already costs 100’s to get into.

However, even with that said, it’s all down to how they implement it. If we’re paying for a subscription that functions similar to how they wanted to do it originally (early access to packs, free items, maybe reduced prices, etc.). Then I don’t see a problem. If they plan to make it like Netflix, where I need to pay to rent DLC, they can keep it. Miss me with that, lol.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    One thing is for sure is that I want TS5 to be a single-player game. At this point in my life, The Sims is my life, lol! I am still on the same save and same story since the release of TS4 back in 2014. I have my sim-self and sim-selfs to all of my family in there. There are also townie sims that my sim-self has met since 2014. After all these years, you just grow so attached to them. I have aging off so nobody grows old. So, I wouldn't mind paying a subscription if it will include a lot of frequent content including new expansions, game packs, stuff packs, new hair mini packs, new clothes mini packs, minor gameplay mini packs, etc.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited January 2021
    Well it would be tough for me being on limited retirement, with everything else around me going up in price. As it is I ask my kids to buy me sims 4 cards for my birthdays and Christmas to help with packs, and once in awhile pick up packs discounted if I can wait.

I bet it would be tough on many of us who are retired and play and probably young players whose parents won’t buy them subscriptions, also those who either play a lot of other games as well, or have limited time because of work. I may have to look at other options like getting paralives or picking up some of the older sims series. I used to share them with my daughters till 4 came about.

I too hope they have single player still.

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    If there's a subscription, EA will want as many people on it as possible and that will mean all the fun stuff is on subscription.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I could just imagine the pandemonium if EA introduced a subscription paid online version of Sims 5 and the servers crashed on the first day as they did for SimCity5! :o
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I pray that EA has learned their lesson from Sim City 5... but this is EA, and they probably think if they call it something else or say it's 'optional' we won't notice.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    That would be a no for me.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Personally I wouldn't pay for a sub to play the Sims. I hope that it is only an optional EA access thing.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • kayt45kayt45 Posts: 434 Member
    It depends. Subscription service might not be bad if you then get all the packs/content as part of that. I mean, how much have we spent on other sims games after buying the base game and packs? But, Origin already offers a subscription service which Sims 4 is included in. I would think it might not be that different. Subscription for those who want it or buy the pack outright.