Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Subscription Services in the Sims Yes or No?

SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
Okay guys. It's time for this poll.
byvJYh4.png

According to new job listings and several hints from the team, it could be that the next Sims games will use subscriptions as a payment method for the game. That could mean that in order to play the Sims you would have to pay a certain amount of money every month (like 5$ a month, probably more) and they will keep adding content for you to play with.

This could be implemented in many different ways, which I will list here but also others, so if you have a suggestion use the "other" option. It could be they will make the base game available for a price for you to own forever but then they will make DLC subscription based. Or maybe you will need to be paying subscription to even play the base game. Maybe everything will stay the same but they will add extra content for people who pay subscription.
My question to you is, would you be okay with this? Which method would you prefer?
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Subscription Services in the Sims Yes or No? 303 votes

Yes, I have no problem paying a price each month for the base game and all the content added over the years (packs etc.)
3%
EvvieSimmerRamblineRoseSailorCetiMendotaamericanamelieSimsLivingUpDuvelinathatpinkcoconutElisetomenskij 10 votes
Yes, I have no problem paying a price each month to play with new content (DLC, packs) but I don't want to pay subscription for the base game.
2%
luthienrisingmlmeadowsMiniMajestyHaleyBShaelaDragonmasterleohymnhehim 7 votes
Yes, I have no problem paying a price each month to play with specialized content but I don't want to pay subscription for the base game and normal packs, DLC
1%
SimsILikeSimsstismheadJustMeAlbsimmeroriginSimSoon 5 votes
No, I am not okay with paying each month to play the game. I want the base game and packs, DLC to be sold for standard prices like always
89%
crocobauracanitbemanCK213icmnfrshLeGardePourpreBreeSashapisceschick75Sara1010PEmma_ValentineGalacticGalMichelleWNighteyesOolonglongFlamingoKicker1Rflong7MartinvBloodC24AyradysslisamwittGoodywood 270 votes
Other
3%
ncisGibbs02Chocaholic523Vivi_WillowTreelogionSERVERFRAx4m1r4ghamrick75izecsonSimAlexandriaNekia33painterHcla25239028 11 votes

Comments

• DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    Yes, I have no problem paying a price each month for the base game and all the content added over the years (packs etc.)
    I am fine with it. IF the price is decent and you'd be able to play all the DLC with it. But knowing EA... There'd probably be extra expenses too, like buying the DLC next to subscription fees.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    No, I am not okay with paying each month to play the game. I want the base game and packs, DLC to be sold for standard prices like always
    no i clearly do not went to pay extra for a subscription in the sims 5 i went to buy packs expansion at a normal price range and not have to pay extra
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    There's a new article at The Sims Community: Maxis is preparing development for The Sims 5’s Create A Sim that mentioned that one of the listing's requirements was a knowledge of subscription services.

One of the commenters in the discussion section after the article wrote:
    Adding a subscription model as the only option to play is very dangerous in my opinion. It would kill the concept of ownership, meaning that if you don't have money to pay another month you won't be able to play at all. It would transform the game from being a property (that you buy and own and can be used whenever you desire as long as you want) to a service (that does not belong to you).

I want my life sim game to be something I pay for once and play for as much and as long as the Windows OS can run it. The competition is looking better and better.....

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited January 2021
    Subscriptions are the worst piece of hell! I hate it and i would call the sims 5 a day.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    If they go to pay to play and online only I am done with the Sims. I too have been in the position of having an unstable pay check and having to eliminate extras to make ends meet. I also see nothing good coming from a game like the Sims being online. Are they going to rate the game mature and restrict it to 18+ or are they going to eliminate most romance. I don't want to send a sim out to flirt then find out the person behind the other sim is a minor (no just no). Also, how do you prevent bullying and harassment, because it will happen. That's a lot of moderation to pay for. J would be OK if online features were an optional extra, but I want my private world and what ever stories I tell to remain mine.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,179 Member
    Absolutely hell to the no. EA would truly sink to a new low to make you pay a monthly subscription FOR A SINGLE PLAYER GAME. Honestly, this would be the action that finally pushes me away from The Sims.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I never did MMORPGs that much, and I've deleted all freemium games off my phone.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited January 2021
    No! No way, no how! Absolutely not!

There is nothing that they could ever offer in a subscription service that would entice me into paying every single month. I don't play the game that often, not on a regular daily basis that I could justify that expense. And with how lacking the amount of TS4's content has been and all of the restrictions tied to it, if that's an indication of how they're going in the future? Then that's a He77-to-the-No!

A game is not like streaming movies or TV shows on Netflix and Hulu. Netflix is constantly adding new content which keeps it fresh, A game would not be adding content monthly or weekly.

They obviously didn't learn their lesson with TS4 .... or they're just wanting to kill the franchise and be done. Maybe that's why they've been working so hard to bring in a new generation of players, so that the "old" fans (who threw a fit about an always online Sims 4) would walk away and the "new" fans would be more receptive to a subscription service.

That's ok tho, cause there's still Paralives in development. And who knows, maybe the upcoming game that Paradox Techtonic is working on will also be a Life Sim game as well. So, soon there could be other games in this genre that will help scratch-the-itch if EA decides to alienate the majority of their fan base.

And we'll still be able to play the older Sims games, so yeah ..... not gonna happen from this chick!
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

giphy.gif

Hard pass. I can see it and respect it being subscription for any multiplayer, but not for a single player experience with the base game and dlc.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    All I care to say is that I do not touch subscription games. If Sims becomes defined by a pay to play mindset instead of pick and choose your experience, then I will have no problem passing on anything else made of the IP.
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    I told you that TS5 will probably be a huge disappointment.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I want to be able to pick and choose what I want from among what's offered. I also want the ability to stop buying when I want. Sure, you could cancel the subscription, but then no more playing the game you poured however much $ into. At least now we have what we pay for and can continue playing, even unplugged from origin.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Said no for a number of reasons.

1. Don't want my last day to play the game be up to EA.
    2. They would have to regularly add meaningful content to the game that is well thought out and polished.
    3. Like to be able to play offline for a variety of reasons. Waiting for mods to update, not wanting to go through the hassle of updating my mods at the time, and/or my internet being out. If it was sub-based, I'd have to be online for the game to get the "paid" or "not paid" status.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2021
    No chance.

However, the post is just talking about EA play, their existing subscription service which allows you to play their games on PC and other platforms. It doesn't even imply that they're looking at replacing DLC with a system like that thankfully so we don't have to worry.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited January 2021
    Other
    It depends what type of subscription service we are talking about... I'm not sure how it would work, I assume that they will still offer packs as DLC so the subscription would probably be for additional content... and what happens when you stop subscribing? Do you no longer have access to that content?

My best guess is that they would offer this as part of EA Play, which would be good value if you play other games than the sims, but if you only play the sims, it does not sound like a good value.

Content in the sims4 packs have been lacking, if this could be a way for them to offer additional content then maybe, as long as they don't cut from existing packs. Maybe this could be Maxis solution where they can offer additional content for the sims without making a full pack, like a stuff pack or game pack.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    logion wrote: »
    It depends what type of subscription service we are talking about... I'm not sure how it would work, I assume that they will still offer packs as DLC so the subscription would probably be for additional content... and what happens when you stop subscribing? Do you no longer have access to that content?

@logion What I think they could do is release the base game with a subscription fee and then all the content from the packs and DLC will come with updates to the game, because they have talked before about how they want to keep the game alive through updates and we get the small free updates now so maybe they will turn that into subscription based content and ditch the pack system all together.
    Of course if your subscription is up then you don't have access anymore like in MMOs for example.

This could all be a stretch though, if they did that it would have more disadvantages than adavntages.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    logion wrote: »

@logion What I think they could do is release the base game with a subscription fee and then all the content from the packs and DLC will come with updates to the game, because they have talked before about how they want to keep the game alive through updates and we get the small free updates now so maybe they will turn that into subscription based content and ditch the pack system all together.
    Of course if your subscription is up then you don't have access anymore like in MMOs for example.

This could all be a stretch though, if they did that it would have more disadvantages than adavntages.

I'ld hate that honestly. Like people said before me, life isn't always linear, there are good and bad moments... 2020 (and still) is being a pretty good example of that...
    I personally don't want ea to forbid me to play for one month if i can't pay a subscrition in that month... also sometimes most of us have breaks from playing that sometimes last months... do we have to plan those breaks ahead so that we can afford that money that we won't be using? Will it even be possible?
    My mind works the way around :) if i feel that i have to play because i have paid a subscription already i won't be willing to play. I don't want to feel that obligation in my free time.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited January 2021
    JGYSRXf.gif?width=419&name=JGYSRXf.gif
    pls don't tell me they have considered doing this to this poor franchise
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    I like the way the DLC is done now. I can choose what I want in my game. If a pack has something I really don't want in my game I can just not buy it. I own a small amount of packs compared to what is available so a subscription service would not save me any money, instead it would cost me more.

I saw an article claiming that a subscription service would be cheaper for players because it will be a small monthly fee rather than paying a large amount for all the DLC. This claim completely excludes players like me who only buy packs that interests them. Where I live to own all the packs at full price would be over $1000, but I have not spent even a quarter of that figure on my game. A $10 monthly subscription would cost $120 a year. After 2 years that's more than the total I have spent on Sims 4. I can not commit to paying a set monthly fee, but I can occasionally buy a game. I don't even do movie suscriptions.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited January 2021
    Everyone already made the valid points but subscription is just not practical in my life. I take breaks when I want, I'm not always playing everyday. I buy packs at my own pace and according to my budget . It may sound cheaper but I would be loosing out in the end. I can't stand the modern era of gaming. 😆
    I stopped playing playstation because of these shady practices. That's why I only play sims now. I have no plans of buying ts5 until years down the line anyway. But if it turns out to be subscription just forget it😑
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • sdhoeysdhoey Posts: 1,876 Member
    We have two gamers in the house. I can budget my sims expenses easily with the way they come out now. My son has close to $150 that I pay every three months for him to play his subscription games. We can't afford anymore like that. I would hate to pull the plug at the next release, but if Sims 5 or whatever it is called comes like that, I will have to stop at Sims 4.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Well, that would be the end of the Sims franchise for me. Bad enough we have to worry about Sims5 becoming a multi-player online game, but adding a subscription service on top of that means I will walk away without any hesitation. For nearly seven years we have put up with a glitchy, shallow game, and nothing has been easy when it comes to the 'live service' the gurus said would help them make Sims4 better. All I have gotten from this new way of doing updates and patches is a lot of stress every time a new update is released. Plus you add into this the fact many new players are younger, many of them teens, and you have to ask the question of who will pay for these subscriptions? Parents? I personally know that won't be acceptable to many parents that are struggling financially. Subscription services are okay with gamers that play other online games, but I doubt it would be acceptable to the Sims fans. Instead of changing the way this franchise has managed to do things, while becoming even more popular, why can't EA be happy and concentrate on improving The Sims franchise rather than turning it something it isn't, and was never meant to be? It smacks of EA wanting more in sales revenue while doing less to earn those dollars. And after the rollercoaster we've been on since Sims4 was released, I want to get off that ride. Unfortunately, it's looking more and more as if Sims5 will be an even bigger nightmare to deal with, and Sims4 will be the final iteration I invest in.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited January 2021
    Other
    I dont like subscription service to play the game(EA Play or Xbox gamepass are the exception), I rather buy it one time for the base game and each dlcs, thats why i never bothered to play FFXIV or World of Warcraft in the first place.

If the subscription service is only for the multiplayer component, which you cannot play online without subscribing, then I dont see any problem since I wont be playing online anyway.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    It’s sounding more and more like The Sims 4, which was my first iteration will also be my last.