Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sorry for the stupid question but what is Razer Chroma?

I was reading the new message on the Paranormal pack and it talks about light effects you can get by turning on your Razer Chroma. What is that? I've actually gone to the Razer site and still unsure! I know that there are Razer PCs but I don't know if that means that only Razer PCs have this function. Said something about Razer Synapse and there are downloads for Razer Synapse 2 & 3. More curiosity than anything!

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,153 Member
    I've never even heard of Razer Synapse. I only have Windows 10 on my PC.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    It’s a keyboard that lights up.
  • Options
    I have a keyboard that lights up & changes color. But that's my hardware.
  • Options
    KennziKaigeKennziKaige Posts: 132 Member
    Razer Chroma is a feature many Razer products have that allows for LED light color ambience configuration. "Chroma" just designates which Razer product is capable of such.
    Razer Synapse is a computer program/app by Razer to configure and interface with Razer products, like their keyboards, headsets, mice, and speakers.
    Thistlecreek Village forum link here.
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,188 Member
    As someone with a nice Razer Keyboard, mouse and headset......Basically it means it'll glow colors....Which is pretty nice.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member
    Like others have said it's for people with Razer products. If you have something like a Razer keyboard, it will now glow/light up in specific colors when you play the Sims. For example, the Sims developers could make it so that whenever your sim hosts a séance, the keys on the keyboard pulse in black and orange lights.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,574 Member
    Aww that sounds awesome, I want one now!
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited January 2021
    Its not a stupid question. Every question has value and i wondered the same thing because I was ready to jump out and buy one. I'm not sure of all the tech savvy terms. But I was researching because I needed a new keyboard. And I only buy light up gaming mechanical keyboards anyway.

From my understanding it's just a light up keyboard buy the razer brand. I guess it has to say Chroma because that's the only ones that with connect with sims for reasons unknown to me 😅😅

But what I found during my research that I didn't like is that razer keyboards require you to use a program called Razer Synapse in order to use your full keyboard with all the features. And you have to accept their terms and conditions which includes the collection and sharing if your data. Possibly even keystrokes 😐

And if that's not weird enough tons and tons of people were complaining in the reviews that Razer Synapse hogs a lot of resources such as ram from your PC and for some people,ultimately slowing it down or making it glitchy. And the keyboards themselves doesn't seem like anything special compared to others I've tried or seen. It's just expensive for the name razer.

I really really wanted to sync emotions but at yhe end decided it wasn't worth it. And went went a different keyboard. I may have tried one if not for the "Razer Synapse". You can research it. It's very weird just to use a keyboard.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Sorry to add on more, but because there seems to be confusion here -- it's not just for keyboards, but for a variety of Razer products (like mice, headsets, etc.).

@Babykittyjade They probably no longer collect keystrokes because of the new privacy laws in CA and the EU. For CA, they explicitly say that they do not collect keystrokes. Please see their privacy policy: https://www.razer.com/eu-en/legal/customer-privacy-policy. Outside of games, logging keystrokes won't benefit them and can only get them in a world of trouble anyway if information leaks. It's data they don't want.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    Sorry to add on more, but because there seems to be confusion here -- it's not just for keyboards, but for a variety of Razer products (like mice, headsets, etc.).

@Babykittyjade They probably no longer collect keystrokes because of the new privacy laws in CA and the EU. For CA, they explicitly say that they do not collect keystrokes. Please see their privacy policy: https://www.razer.com/eu-en/legal/customer-privacy-policy. Outside of games, logging keystrokes won't benefit them and can only get them in a world of trouble anyway if information leaks. It's data they don't want.

Thanks for the info!!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I have a Razer keyboard that lights up. I don't have synapses installed though so I don't know if the new feature works.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I have a Razor Keyboard, so I'm looking forward to this feature! The keyboards are kind of expensive, like $60, but they are nice keyboards.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,468 Member
    To be honest I never heard of it before this patch. A keyboard that lights up looks kinda nice but I won't be spending any money on special keyboards if I have a regular one that works.
  • Options
    columbia93columbia93 Posts: 319 Member
    Thx guys! That's what I was thinking but it seemed like an odd option, so I thought I was missing something, something more with a video card! I don't use a headset, my mouse is new (not Razer) and, while I'm going to need a new keyboard in the next few months - I hate that the one that came with my PC already has the lettering rubbing off so big blobs of blue - I don't know if this feature would be enough to steer me in that direction. :)
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    https://www.razer.com/synapse-3

I have SteelSeries/Cooler Master/Corsair as my peripherals though.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    The things I have noticed is a spiral of white and green as the game loads and the lighting changes to match the selected sim's mood as you play. These special game effects work in a few games that I play. It's not a necessity, but it is a fun little gimmick that makes me smile.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    It's a shame that this quirky little feature is exclusive to Razer products.

As far as the brand goes, I don't really rate them and I think most of their peripherals are overpriced, and aren't anything special. That's just my two cents anyway.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    RySBIRySBI Posts: 333 Member
    @columbia93 I had no idea what this was either so firstly, thanks for asking and secondly, don't feel that it's a stupid question! :)
  • Options
    The new feature won't work with my keyboard because it's a Logitech. Oh well.
  • Options
    I love my Razer mechanical keyboard for typing and how it looks. I somehow acquired a collection of keyboards (Logitech, etc.), but I've got a Razer hooked up now because I like how it types. I don't think I would get one just for the Chroma feature, though. It's cute, but it's not much ... Sometimes, I don't even bother turning it on. I think how a keyboard types should be its most important feature.

I'm not patching my game just yet, so I don't know the Sims works with it.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,380 Member
    This keyboard sounds intresting, and no, that wasn't a dumb question, I didn't know either. :D

I am using the keyboard that came with my SkyTech gaming computer a couple of years ago. It's backlit also, it is pretty but the letters are starting to wear off. But pay $60 for a keyboard? :D:D:D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    This was a great question because I had no idea either. I have a Corsair keyboard that lights up and a Razer mouse.
  • Options
    TamBamLamTamBamLam Posts: 1 New Member
    I just got the Razor Chroma V2 keyboard and the Razor mouse yesterday. I hooked it all up and installed synapse and I’m totally lost on how to get it to work with The Sima and light up according to moods, etc. I checked the option in game to use the special lighting with the keyboard and its still not working,