Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are Game Changers Still Relevant?

Comments

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I never cared about Game Changers
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    If you are watching a GameChanger or SimTuber for Machinimas or Let's plays you are going to have a hard time finding them. Most no longer make that kind of content because Machinimas take way to long to make for how short they may be. This means low revenue since YouTube like videos that are around 10+mins and consistency from the creator. A Machinima maker would have to make a video almost daily and try to make them as close to 10mins if they want to make decent money. This is not possible for most.

Let's play are also dead because they require commitment from the viewer and most viewers are not willing to make the commitment to watch a series with 60+ parts or even get into a series if they've missed too much to bother. Viewers want easy to digest videos that at most will have 2-3 parts. This is why building and cas creation videos are more common because they are fun to watch, easy to get into and require no commitment.

If you are interested in watching let's plays you are better off watching Twitch streams which many GameChangers do since let's play are very popular on twitch because of how interactive they can be between viewer and creator. This can be a turn off for some since some viewers want to watch videos on their own time but twitch streams kinda require you to be there when they are going.

With all that said GameChangers are still relevant since many do watch their videos for their opinions, thoughts, and speculations on packs and future content.

I can't stand live streams sadly. I hate all the interruptions to talk to viewers and make stupid faces or whatever when they get a sub. I just want to see the Lets Play. Social I am not.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    The only gaming YouTubers I pay any attention to are the ones who play games I am terrible at and don't really enjoy playing myself, because otherwise I'd just go play the game myself instead of watching someone else play it.

Plus, I love to sit and watch my sims. I don't have that same love for sitting and watching someone else's sims.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I don't care about gamechangers, they dont seem to have their own opinion, what I noticed usually if one gamechangers hate something the others also hate about that thing and vice versa.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,947 Member
    i mean i dont think anything has changed that much but i never intensely follow in first place
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    As far as seeing less of LPs, machinimas, and whatnot, I suspect part of what you're noticing is the problems of youtube more so than anything to do with these people as individuals or the program they're in. Youtube, from the things I've heard with its merciless algorithms, tends to put people in a position where they are forced to fill a very specific niche to keep their audience and it's best if they post consistently, but not necessarily too much either.

So to stay relevant, a lot of people chase trends or talk about certain subjects in a very limited capacity. Scripted content that takes longer to make tends to get put aside in favor of the improvised reaction format. I mean, I remember when youtube was a space where you could find a number of prominent or somewhat prominent channels with sketch comedy and then the format became nearly extinct on there because it just couldn't live up to what the algorithm wanted. A few friends making sketches in their off-time couldn't possibly keep up the kind of content pace that would keep their channel relevant, so they'd get a decent number of views if a sketch went viral, but otherwise mostly be unseen. The ones that were big and survived tended to expand the number of people making stuff or adopt more generic content mixed in with their scripted stuff.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I have my own mind and don't allow others to think for me. I don't look for other people's opinions on games to determine whether or not I personally like it. I judge a game based on the trailers and information I receive from my own research... or, in some cases, I'll go ahead and play it myself.

Either way, as you said, a lot of these EA game changers don't even come off as real or genuine. They literally just say and do whatever their EA overlords tell them to.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited January 2021
    Game Changers are Relevant
    CelSims wrote: »
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    If you are watching a GameChanger or SimTuber for Machinimas or Let's plays you are going to have a hard time finding them. Most no longer make that kind of content because Machinimas take way to long to make for how short they may be. This means low revenue since YouTube like videos that are around 10+mins and consistency from the creator. A Machinima maker would have to make a video almost daily and try to make them as close to 10mins if they want to make decent money. This is not possible for most.

Let's play are also dead because they require commitment from the viewer and most viewers are not willing to make the commitment to watch a series with 60+ parts or even get into a series if they've missed too much to bother. Viewers want easy to digest videos that at most will have 2-3 parts. This is why building and cas creation videos are more common because they are fun to watch, easy to get into and require no commitment.

If you are interested in watching let's plays you are better off watching Twitch streams which many GameChangers do since let's play are very popular on twitch because of how interactive they can be between viewer and creator. This can be a turn off for some since some viewers want to watch videos on their own time but twitch streams kinda require you to be there when they are going.

With all that said GameChangers are still relevant since many do watch their videos for their opinions, thoughts, and speculations on packs and future content.

I can't stand live streams sadly. I hate all the interruptions to talk to viewers and make stupid faces or whatever when they get a sub. I just want to see the Lets Play. Social I am not.

You should be able to find some let's plays stills but usually those are by lesser know creators. Which there is nothing wrong with that but lesser know usually means they have less up to date equipment so lower quality videos. I think very few established Simtubers still do them but I personally am not following any that do so I wouldn't actually know.

Also I agree I hate the constant pausing to interact with the viewers and how sometimes the let's play is less creator driven and more viewer driven.
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I recently unsubscribed from a popular Sims Game Changer on Youtuber because they hardly ever released new content. And it made me think- I feel like the "Game Changers" don't really add much to the Sims community anymore.

Back in the day, we had creative Let's Play videos, machinimas and building videos that were creative and intersting. People that generally enjoyed the game and what it offered.

Now, Let's Plays are dead. The Game Changers only post building videos and videos reacting to new content/ news. Or some random "use every color in one room" challenge. And that's it.

Game Changers seem totally apathetic about the game. I understand the game can get boring after 6 years, but shouldn't they show a bit more interest when it's literally your job?..

I honestly never listen to the opinion of a Game Changer anymore. I can never completely trust them. Are they giving this pack a positive rating because they actually like it, or are they just worried EA will kick them off the program? I can't really trust their opinions with this thought in mind.

What do you think? Do you think Game Changers are still relevant? Or is this a dying form of marketing for EA? Or is The Sims 4 too old to salvage with Game Changers?

Well not everyone likes Lets Plays, I hate them. I have a few that I watch every day except for their Lets Plays. I prefer the building vids because that's what I do and it gives me inspiration.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I don't have a problem with Gamechangers being biased towards The Sims. But now they even seem to complain about everything, for the sole purpose of trying to prove they're not biased.

How can I trust what they have to say when it's their job to enjoy the game but they're always complaining about it? Almost all of the Gamechangers seem to be complaining about how Bonehilda is not in her coffin or isn't showing off her cleavage. Which she NEVER HAD?!
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    I think game changers are very important to the sims 4 series. There is so much I never would have known about the various packs if I hadn't watched the videos these people provide. I think there should be a special mention to many of these people for the creative ways they present their videos because obviously some have a bit more charm and presence then others. I do agree that the forums is also a great place to pick up information and help when you need it. We used to get a guide in the discs we would buy and now we purchase everything digital and get nothing so for me the game changers ...and this forum is very important.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    It depends on the context. They can be relevant & also irrelevant. Some do a good job, some not. Most of them are not "playing" anymore, but rather than just endorsing, commenting, or even, just jump on certain bandwagons. I must say that, there's only a few that really are good, easy to approach, actually playing the game, & sharing relevant information.

However, most of them are not playing the way I did, so, that's why they're irrelevant when giving thoughts on certain packs or features. Talking about LP, I stopped watching anything related to this because, hardly anyone is actually completing it, so, I prefer not to waste my time watching new challenges whenever anyone starts a new one because, it's always stopped half-way.

I appreciate the independent creators & other Simmers more because I get inspired & perhaps be able to share the same "sentiment" on how we feel about certain gameplay/feature because I know that, most who are actually playing are one who doesn't need a certain affiliation to begin with. Just my 2 cents! ;)
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    edited January 2021
    Game Changers are Irrelevant
    To be honest, and I know these game changer fanatics won't see it this way, but I play a few games, MMO-RPGs, MOBAs, other FPS games, even some mobile games, but content creators in this game has been not only sloppy over the years, but also really just a free ad for EA compared to games like LoL or WoW or GTA. I believe the Game Changers program when it first started was ok, but this batch of game changers we have now are just concerned of dishing out content as much as they could for the sake of producing content. First, for people who say that these game changers are relevant because they provide "insight" of new content being released, they don't. They do NOT know how to use their early access privilege. You as someone who has received an early access to the game are suppose to test it, find bugs and glitches, you are basically an extra QA for the game. Granted that in other games, early access is available for all and has a longer duration, but what EA Game Changers do is simply, show Build/Buy mode, show builds/world tour and show CAS. They know those things will hype players, but they do NOT play test it. by "play test" I don't just mean showing gameplay for 5 seconds. No, I mean, thoroughly show how relevant a feature is, are there bugs on that feature, how does that feature integrate on other packs. These game changers do NOT know how to review a game. What they want is to get ahead of other content creators that didn't have early access by shoving as low quality opinion they have to build/buy, the new world (if any), and CAS. One example is Snow Escape pack, if these Game Changers play tested the EP when they got early access, they would have noticed that the Lifestyle feature was bugged, where instead of just having 3, you get infinite Lifestyles. The problem is most of them are builders, so instead of play testing, they build. So the content they release is them building, not playing the game and testing it out. How is that helpful to ALL kinds of players?

2.) I really find a majority of these Game Changers as fake and hypocrites, especially lately. With their rants about how bad the game is, and about how they really hate this feature, etc. Yet when it comes to promotion time, it's like "Oh I love this." and "Oh this is great". I mean, if that isn't hyping a new pack (so they can get the game for free), I don't know what is.

3.) Lastly, to me as a long time player of The Sims franchise (Since The Sims), these Game Changers are not only irrelevant, but also a waste of resource. To EA, they highly relevant as they basically get free ad from these people, well, they give them the game for free. So... And to the gullible Simmer they are those friends who will stab you the moment they get what they want from you.

PS. I do think not all Game Changers are as greedy as EA. In fact, I think there is one (ONLY one) Game Changer that actually does play test content... We all know who that is... I don't need to mention him. There are two... but the other opted out of the Game Changer program-- good for him.
    Post edited by estella_dee on
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I'm a bit of both I do think game changers are still relevant, some keep us up to date with sims news etc, but at the same time i think theres too many of them showing the same content
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    First, for people who say that these game changers are relevant because they provide "insight" of new content being released, they don't. They do NOT know how to use their early access privilege. You as someone who has received an early access to the game are suppose to test it, find bugs and glitches, you are basically an extra QA for the game. Granted that in other games, early access is available for all and has a longer duration, but what EA Game Changers do is simply, show Build/Buy mode, show builds/world tour and show CAS. They know those things will hype players, but they do NOT play test it. by "play test" I don't just mean showing gameplay for 5 seconds. No, I mean, thoroughly show how relevant a feature is, are there bugs on that feature, how does that feature integrate on other packs. These game changers do NOT know how to review a game. What they want is to get ahead of other content creators that didn't have early access by shoving as low quality opinion they have to build/buy, the new world (if any), and CAS.

2.) I really find a majority of these Game Changers as fake and hypocrites, especially lately. With their rants about how bad the game is, and about how they really hate this feature, etc. Yet when it comes to promotion time, it's like "Oh I love this." and "Oh this is great". I mean, if that isn't hyping a new pack (so they can get the game for free), I don't know what is.
    EA's Game Changer program may work a little differently than how you believe it should. Also, I'm pretty sure there's an entirely different set of playtesters that aren't Game Changers. As far as Snowy Escape goes, I know a few of them did livestreams and a few started Let's Plays, so that's testing right there. Some GCs I watched did exactly what you said they didn't, they pointed out bugs and thought about pack integration. There are more than just 3 GCs and they're not all YouTubers, there's also mod and CC creators.

It's entirely possible to give criticism and point out the flaws but still like the game. It's entirely possible to like certain aspects but not others. That's not being fake or hypocritical.
    I have my own mind and don't allow others to think for me. I don't look for other people's opinions on games to determine whether or not I personally like it. I judge a game based on the trailers and information I receive from my own research... or, in some cases, I'll go ahead and play it myself.
    You probably shouldn't judge TS4 based on the trailers lol.

8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited January 2021
    I learnt about game changers through forums. I only watch them when there's info about a new pack. Of course I like getting info early. In that way I guess they're still relevant. Overall I don't really care though. I don't spend my time on youtube. I do follow a couple of gamechanges on twitter.
    Post edited by musteni on
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    They don't matter to me, I watch who I like and their GC status is irrelevant to me. However, they do still matter and they are relevant because they are that voice back to EA and the devs.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    To be honest, I'm not fond of the trend of video-guides in general. What could be an article that takes 5 minutes to read is being instead done as a 20-minute video. Possibly with a swath of video ads throughout. Even worse are the people who make a 3-minute "sponsor of this episode" speech.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I would rather have them than nothing at all... the program is not perfect, but it is nice to be able to see someone play the pack and give their opinions about it. I do feel that some of them are overreacting a bit, calling packs "the best packs ever" and things like that. But that's about it.

Some of them that I am watching does seem to suffer from burnout. I watched James Turner a lot and he makes very few videos these days, from what I have read it's because he had it rough during lockdown. They have opened up a little bit more now, and he seems to be making some videos now.

I still think that gamechangers are relevant, but I hope that EA and Maxis understands that it is not easy to be a sims youtube channel. It's very difficult to be successful on youtube unless you make regular content and I don't think it's easy to get views for regular sims videos or make them interesting all the time.

Honestly, if you ask me, the problem is not that gamechangers are not relevant, the problem is that the sims is not relevant, compared to other games or media.

I agree. With everything 2020 brought to us, it is safe to say the lockdowns have affected the Game Changers, too. How inspired can one become when you are making serious life changing efforts to stay as safe as possible? And after having stopped playing games in October myself because of how I was feeling emotionally, I don't blame the Game Changers for not posting new content as often as they were before.

Sure, some of them have been a bit more vocal about Sims4 and how much they dislike the content released last year. But they're still the best way to have direct communication with the teams at EA. I like James's Rags to Riches series, and have watched quite a few of them from start to finish. Some of his complaints about Sims4 mirror my own feelings so I watch his videos more than anyone else's. But as far as watching Let's Plays, I do that once a new pack is released just to see if it might fit with my gaming preferences. That is about the only reason I watch any of the Game Changers. So to me, they are still relevant. But as Logion stated, the game itself is beginning to feel irrelevant simply because it has been around longer than the previous iterations.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    To be honest, I'm not fond of the trend of video-guides in general. What could be an article that takes 5 minutes to read is being instead done as a 20-minute video. Possibly with a swath of video ads throughout. Even worse are the people who make a 3-minute "sponsor of this episode" speech.

I totally agree. I prefer reading to watching videos.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    I didn't even find out what a Game Changer was until I heard they were helping with Snowy Escape. I clicked on one and ended up getting recommended several others. At least two of them were haters and I couldn't figure out where they thought their channel would go if all they were going to do is talk about everything they perceive as wrong with the Sims 4. A couple of others were pretty talented making up dialogues for the characters and acting out situations so that could be fun.

The real heroes of the game, since Sims 1 to now, are the Modding and Custom Content community. I am thankful for all custom content creators because when I start with a base game - I have almost nothing to choose for your characters and Custom Content makes up for it for at least a couple of years. Of course the Modders can add depth to features and more realistic gameplay. As more content as added to the base game, the modding community can offer tuning tools and help dial in just the right experience for how I want to play.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I think a lot of them have gotten very boring recently, there's many gamechangers who I used to watch daily but now I barely watch them as they just post the same build videos every. single. day. We get it, you can build a house for 5000 simoleons. It was fun to watch the first time but when you do it every day for six months straight it's not remotely entertaining, and just feels like they couldn't care less about making quality content and are only in it for the money.

I think the gamechangers just need new blood, most the popular ones now have been making content for years and have clearly lost interest. I also feel like some of the existing ones need to take a break and think things through properly as they seem to just be pushing out meaningless content on a conveyer belt. Honestly if they don't care for 4 I'm happy for them to make content about older sims games aswell.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't care for the whole 'influence' other people to buy thing. If I like what I see from Maxis I will buy it, if I don't I won't. I don't need convinced. I know my own mind.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I never really cared one way or the other if a gamer was a Game Changer or not.

As someone who once worked in the world of influencers before "influencers' became a thing, I know that being sponsored can have a whole spectrum of influence... from those who give truly honest feedback in hopes of bettering the product to those who will say whatever the company wants them to so they keep getting products. For this reason, I watch and read from a variety of sources (sponsored and unsponsored) to get the best picture I can on any game or product.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I've never liked the Game Changers but you've made some really good points. The Sims community on YouTube used to be players that genuinely loved playing the game. I miss when new Expansion Packs were released and there would be Let's Play's based off of them. Now whenever a new pack is released, Game Changers showcase CAS and Build/Buy then just spend their time doing challenges. Most of the time I think they base their reviews purely off the aesthetic of the items you get. Sure, they might mention the lack of gameplay, but the reality is, they don't even play in the traditional sense where depth would impact them.

I get there are many ways to play The Sims franchise but it's a shame that The Sims 4 is the first generation to kill videos of simmers playing with a family and enjoying The Sims traditionally.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with Gamechangers being biased towards The Sims. But now they even seem to complain about everything, for the sole purpose of trying to prove they're not biased.

How can I trust what they have to say when it's their job to enjoy the game but they're always complaining about it? Almost all of the Gamechangers seem to be complaining about how Bonehilda is not in her coffin or isn't showing off her cleavage. Which she NEVER HAD?!

I agree, I can't trust their opinions anymore, one second their positive about everything, and now they hate everything. It's hard to tell whether they're just being negative because they actually care about the game, or if they're just trying to please their audience.