Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are there no builders that also thoroughly play in their creations?

Comments

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    People complain about how Maxis builds aren't very good but a primary feature of them is that they don't use MOO and they don't make the place expensive with Clutter. They don't look as lived in or real, but the challenge is for us, the player, to make a house look like a home after we move in.

Some builds might be BORING, but apart from the missing toilet mansion (tm) they all WORK.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    This may be a slightly annoying request, but can someone post a picture of what they mean by a clean/working build? What do you consider enough space for proper pathing?

• Options
    BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    I'm a trash builder, but the gallery builds are so messed up the I really only steal builds from my little sis now. (She's really good, I'll put the link in my sig.)
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • Options
    BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    People complain about how Maxis builds aren't very good but a primary feature of them is that they don't use MOO and they don't make the place expensive with Clutter. They don't look as lived in or real, but the challenge is for us, the player, to make a house look like a home after we move in.

Some builds might be BORING, but apart from the missing toilet mansion (tm) they all WORK.
    There was also the one in StrangerVille that didn't have a counter to use for cooking.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member

Also you can change them, revamp or possibly fix them if something was left out then reupload them and you won't be screamed at or called a thief.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    BreeNilla wrote: »

There was also the one in StrangerVille that didn't have a counter to use for cooking.

That one was on purpose tho, if I recall, unless there was a second one. One pre-made family is on such dire financial straits that they have started selling furniture off, canonically, AFAIR.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    edited January 2021
    I’ve been getting more into building. I’m still not the best but I’m trying lol. The main thing I do is even if I don’t plan on playing the build I ALWAYS create a Realtor Sim. That Sim is used to test everything on the lot. Pathing, furniture, those pesky MOO areas.

Some people I watch have little b-roll segments at the end that show Sims in the home or lot using the items and such. Sometimes there’s clipping which annoys the heck out of me, but I adjust it lol.

Also, the thing about the bars and DJ stations is that you can buy another bartender and DJ. Also there are mods I’m sure that allow more to spawn. I would suggest not watching those people lol
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    If I see a house on the gallery that would suit the family I'm playing, I place it unfurnished. That's the only way I've found to avoid routing issues with MOO. I also remove majority of plants that have been placed with MOO. I couldn't place a fridge one time because a bush outside was placed too close to the wall.
    I do look for No MOO builds and appreciate the builders that take the time to playtest and mark their builds as No MOO such as @MDianaSims .

Yes, but do you ever have difficulty figuring out where the bathroom(s) are meant to be?

OMG I once downloaded a house that had no bathroom. Just an empty space that I thought was an exterior space. I only figured it out by going into overhead view and scouring that house. I saw a toilet paper roll in one of those odd exterior walls. The house loaded without the whole bathroom, except for that one wall. I tried again but the same thing happened in a different computer. My mom liked the build so I fixed it, but I spent quite a bit of time correcting odd stuff hanging in thin ar..
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The worst part is when you can't work out what's in the way of you sitting at your computer and then find out it's because you didn't put in a frikkin' desk chair.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    The worst part is when you can't work out what's in the way of you sitting at your computer and then find out it's because you didn't put in a frikkin' desk chair.

I'm still 'vetting' my latest build. I built it for the family that is now residing in it. But, I keep finding little glitches. And, of course, I find the worst one of all after I had decorated the house, at least partially, for Winterfest. At least I have copies of it, uploading as I found and fixed said glitches. So, I can download the latest, and fix the kitchen island, then upload that version sans the Winterfest ambience. :) I knew it looked weird/different, but sometimes I'm drawn to 'different'. It was only when the butler and the Lady of the house got caught between the island counter and the stove that I recognized the mistake I'd made in forming the island/stove setup. :O So embarrassing. LOL
    I had to take this from this angle, as the other side could be considered less than T-rated. :open_mouth:
    IjDLkFK.png
    XMqrw0N.png

I laugh at myself when I've built and furnished a new place only to realize in the course of playing in it I've left out something so very basic as an overhead light. I know most newer homes don't have them anymore, preferring to rely on the bedside lamps, but still. It's hard to take descent pictures of the interior with a semi-bright lamp.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    That one was on purpose tho, if I recall, unless there was a second one. One pre-made family is on such dire financial straits that they have started selling furniture off, canonically, AFAIR.
    Not Roswell, I think it was Cahill, the one that lives under the plane. I could be wrong though, I never checked it out myself but I remember it being mentioned somewhere haha :p

There's also the house in RoM with the staircase that leads to nowhere. I didn't mention it because it doesn't really affect gameplay, but it does show that sometimes things slip through for Maxis as well if they playtest their builds.

I get how frustrating it is, though. It's especially hard for me to find community lots because they're always huuuge and 2 stories and I like simple builds. When putting something like a pool to look like a pond, sims are going to use the pool (even at a restaurant). Or having a TV at a night club, they're going to stand and watch TV instead of dancing. I like clutter because I want the house to feel lived in, but sometimes the builds just aren't big enough for it all and it just feels cramped. So I do get what you're saying.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Isharell wrote: »
    If I see a house on the gallery that would suit the family I'm playing, I place it unfurnished. That's the only way I've found to avoid routing issues with MOO. I also remove majority of plants that have been placed with MOO. I couldn't place a fridge one time because a bush outside was placed too close to the wall.
    I do look for No MOO builds and appreciate the builders that take the time to playtest and mark their builds as No MOO such as @MDianaSims .

Yes, but do you ever have difficulty figuring out where the bathroom(s) are meant to be?

OMG I once downloaded a house that had no bathroom. Just an empty space that I thought was an exterior space. I only figured it out by going into overhead view and scouring that house. I saw a toilet paper roll in one of those odd exterior walls. The house loaded without the whole bathroom, except for that one wall. I tried again but the same thing happened in a different computer. My mom liked the build so I fixed it, but I spent quite a bit of time correcting odd stuff hanging in thin ar..
    That is what living off the grid with the pee bush is for. ;) I've had to fix some Maxis premade builds that later got patched because they used MOO too and my Sim couldn't use the toilet because of clutter above it. SimGuruSteve made sure it was fixed in the game which was nice and think it was SimGuruRad that ended up playtesting the Maxis builds too and fixing them. So thankful to them both.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    This is why I'm annoyed they're suddenly having game changers build the lots for the game and letting them use MOO. Maxis builds WORKED, but the minute I tried to edit one of lilsimsie's lots from Snowy Escape, I ended up having to download a totally new lot because it just would NOT work.
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    I always play test my builds and often use my builds. Username: JC1979solenegirl
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Are y’all enabling MOO before placing those lots like you’re supposed to? Because if you don’t, things will disappear and not appear correctly.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    Are y’all enabling MOO before placing those lots like you’re supposed to? Because if you don’t, things will disappear and not appear correctly.

Which is part of the point.
    only 50% of builds even warn about needing MOO, and even those who DO usually put things where they are either in the way, unuseable despite MOO or at the very least making it very VERY annoying to make changes in the build since the whole aestetic / function of the lot hinges on 99% of objects being placed with MOO (Like Lilsimsie always using two or three lamps on top of each other).
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

Yeah see... I feel like if you're going to upload something to the gallery, people downloading it shouldn't have to use cheats in order to use it properly.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member

Yeah see... I feel like if you're going to upload something to the gallery, people downloading it shouldn't have to use cheats in order to use it properly.

And that's why I completely ignore MOO builds, except in very rare cases. I have a couple of those. I never use MOO myself, and I'm not going to enable the cheat just to place a house or venue. For my own use, I like simple #nomoo builds.
  • Options
    Have just spent a few days play-testing my latest restaurant (I used a frame from one of my early house builds and renovated it). Fully functional, play-tested restaurant with two chefs, two waiters, one host, and lots of customers.

- I built the original on a 20 x 30 lot (although the one in the gallery is on a 30x40 lot)
    - no MOO, no other mods, no CC.
    - Fully functional/play tested
    - Value $78,828
    - Packs used: Island Living, Get Famous, Cats & Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Get To Work, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Vampires, Dine Out, Vintage Glamor, Movie Hangout, Backyard Stuff, Holiday Celebration
    - You can find it under my user ID (PriestessBizarre)

yDShEEF.jpg

l7l63N4.jpg

ifNoWVP.jpg

I5vUKi6.jpg

That looks like a restaurant that would function very well indeed. :)
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member

There's also the crane lot in Evergreen. You can't use the bed in the crane because the ceiling light hangs too low.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I play exclusively in my builds. I try to play test everything but sometimes I miss things. I have recently been avoiding using MOO on the interior of the house. I still use it on landscaping though. I've also gotten into the habit of placing the house without MOO after I've finished building to make sure that nothing goes missing. Again, sometimes I miss things but I do try.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member

It's the airplane lot. I've fixed both the crane lot in Evergreen and the plane lot in Strangervill. I have them uploaded to my library and when I remember when starting a new game, I'll place the lots.

In the plane I've moved the bathroom to a smaller room that only had clutter stuff. Put the bed and a treadmill where the bathroom was, added a mirror. Fixed the kitchen counter, added a fish tank, a small dining table with 2 chairs, and better looking desk in the kitchen. Any time my sim visits, can't remember his name, he's in a happier mood and not so stressed.

In the crane I fixed the lights so the bed can be used, put a couch and bookshelf up there. Downstairs I changed the 4 tile sliding door to a 2 tile glass door, moved the easel where the chair was, changed the kitchen counters to standard counters and not the counters that can have a stool placed at them. Put a stove and dishwasher there, deleted the microwave and sink. Put a small table with 3 chairs across from the stove and the base game wall bookshelf. Took away the grill, moved the fire alarm to the window behind the stove and added the sprinkler alarm to the outside wall. No more deaths from fire when my sim visits. In this game I haven't fixed the lots so the son is always coming over to my sim's house, several times a day. I haven't sent my sim to Strangervill but I'm sure the sim living there is really stressed.
  • Options
    GitaGita Posts: 108 Member
    The thing that really annoys me the most is the amount of lights and inside columns builders use in their builds.