Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Has Reached Next Stage in Development! (Unreal Engine)

SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
edited April 2022 in Off Topic Chat
Hey guys,

This article was posted by the simscommunity about an hour ago regarding the Sims 5 and its development. The article shows new job listings and speculates that the game is already deep in development and is being prototyped using the Unreal Engine.

This is the link to the article: https://simscommunity.info/2021/01/21/maxis-is-deep-in-development-of-the-sims-5-will-be-prototyped-in-unreal-engine/

Thoughts?
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited January 2021
    It's good that they're trying a new engine.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited January 2021
    It's cool, but I think there are going to be another few years before it's released. I think TS5 might come in about 2-4 years, honestly. Considering they're prototyping and just hiring developers.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    It's hopeful but it'll probably still be ages to release. Sims 4 was officially confirmed as being in development Spring 2013 (a year and a half before release), and we haven't even got to that stage yet with 5. People have speculated 5 is coming soon for the past 3 years and still nothing so at this point I don't wanna get excited until anything is officially confirmed. :/
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    saw the article but waiting for more info as well
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited January 2021
    One interesting thing is that the next stage in game development after prototyping is production, and we don't know if Maxis can work on the sims4 and the sims5 at the same time so it will be interesting to see what their decision will be with the sims4 during 2021 and 2022.
    Maybe they will go into pre-production and keep making sims4 packs and then eventually stop and go into full production.

I seem to recall that the sims4 was originally developed in unreal too, and then they switched. Prototyping does not have to involve the final game engine...
    I thought there were different teams who were going to work on TS4 and 5? So production with different teams shouldn't be a problem, right?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited January 2021
    Duvelina wrote: »
    I thought there were different teams who were going to work on TS4 and 5? So production with different teams shouldn't be a problem, right?

If they have enough people for it. Production usually involves a lot of staff. But they keep hiring people, so maybe they can go into production for the sims5 and still make packs for the sims4.
    Post edited by logion on
    edited January 2021
    That's why they're hiring new people to work on the game. A whole lot of them as the list on Sims Community suggests.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited January 2021
    It's cool, but I think there are going to be another few years before it's released. I think TS5 might come in about 2-4 years, honestly. Considering they're prototyping and just hiring developers.

Yeah, I give them 2-2.5 years as well since the whole Covid thing really slowed down production as well. The thing is, it looks like they are out of pre-production, which is one of the most time consuming stages when it comes to companies like EA. They really love having their games in pre-production for tons of years.
    I think they did a lot of protoyping with the enging already with the more seasoned developers. I think the newly hired developers usually come in, when it's time to start doing the routine workload that comes with actual development and execution, not just idea throwing.

By mid-2022 I think they will have a trailer ready for a possible 2023 release. But I could be reaching.
    edited January 2021

Yeah, I give them 2-2.5 years as well since the whole Covid thing really slowed down production as well. The thing is, it looks like they are out of pre-production, which is one of the most time consuming stages when it comes to companies like EA. They really love having their games in pre-production for tons of years.
    I think they did a lot of protoyping with the enging already with the more seasoned developers. I think the newly hired developers usually come in, when it's time to start doing the routine workload that comes with actual development and execution, not just idea throwing.

By mid-2022 I think they will have a trailer ready for a possible 2023 release. But I could be reaching.

How are they out of pre-production if they haven't even started prototyping yet? The article states they're looking for developers to start prototyping anyway and so does their job listing, and I'm going off of that so I wouldn't say they've already started.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I'll admit that I was a little scared when I saw the article for Sims 5, since there's still so much I want to see for Sims 4 yet (I can't compare to past games since Sims 4 is the first version I played and only started in December of 2018)

But seeing as you guys are estimating we probably have about another 2 years of Sims 4 at least makes me feel a little better.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited January 2021
    If it's online and anything like their new co-op game for two couch or an online friend player, "It takes two" from Hazelight, many Simmers are going to have to get a new computer as 8 minimum, 16 Gig is recommended for that. Also it needs 50 Gig of space. (It comes out on the 26th March this year.)

https://www.ea.com/games/it-takes-two/pc-system-requirements
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'll admit that I was a little scared when I saw the article for Sims 5, since there's still so much I want to see for Sims 4 yet (I can't compare to past games since Sims 4 is the first version I played and only started in December of 2018)

But seeing as you guys are estimating we probably have about another 2 years of Sims 4 at least makes me feel a little better.

Not to worry, one of the Devs said ts4 has years of content to go basically! I also believe ts5 is years away. 😄
    But hopefully this will calm the pro sims 5ers and they wait patiently for them to make a GOOD well developed game.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    If it's online and anything like their new co-op game for two couch or an online friend player, "It takes two" from Hazelight, many Simmers are going to have to get a new computer as 8 minimum, 16 Gig is recommended for that. Also it needs 50 Gig of space. (It comes out on the 26th March this year.)

The article says it could possibly be half online.
    So I'm 🤐 the are DETERMINED to get this game online. I guess thats where the big money is now days in gaming.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

So I'm 🤐 the are DETERMINED to get this game online. I guess thats where the big money is now days in gaming.

If it's online i'm very well with sims 4. If it's not (which i doubt) i may be interested if it's better then 4. But i'll need to listen to opinions first. I'll def not buying it at release. I did it for 4 and only start enjoying it 2 years ago...
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    me also plan to wait need more info on the sims5
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited January 2021
    telmarina wrote: »

If it's online i'm very well with sims 4. If it's not (which i doubt) i may be interested if it's better then 4. But i'll need to listen to opinions first. I'll def not buying it at release. I did it for 4 and only start enjoying it 2 years ago...

if they do end up making it online i can guarantee there be tons of backlash. i think the sims mainline games should stay strictly singe player experiences if they want an online game they should make it a spin off

@Simburian Actually since the 64Bit update the game doesn't allow 32Bit systems and 64Bit systems usually already have 6GB or 8GB of RAM so it's not that much.
    When it comes to the hard drive space you will need there can be no comparison made to other games. There are multiplayer games that require 10GB and some that require 250GB. It all depends on what the game is.

Making a game Co-op or multiplayer doesn't mean it won't be able to run on lower systems. There are excellent examples of games like SMITE that are multiplayer and their requirements are ridiculously low.
    I don't think we can make any assumptions about the system requirements for the sims 5 already but one thing that is guaranteed, the Sims 5 will need a better system than the Sims 4.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited January 2021
    they don't know its sims 5 there working on they don't even know if its a sims game
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    logion wrote: »
    One interesting thing is that the next stage in game development after prototyping is production, and we don't know if Maxis can work on the sims4 and the sims5 at the same time so it will be interesting to see what their decision will be with the sims4 during 2021 and 2022.
    Maybe they will go into pre-production and keep making sims4 packs and then eventually stop and go into full production.

I seem to recall that the sims4 was originally developed in unreal too, and then they switched. Prototyping does not have to involve the final game engine...

I think for when they start fully in production they will still develop Sims 4 pack albeit slowly.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited January 2021
    they don't know its sims 5 there working on they don't even know if its a sims game

@comicsforlife I think it is a Sims game since this is a "Maxis" listing and it is for the Redwood Studio, where the Sims games are being developed. It also doesn't say it's for the Sims 4 (which they normally do, when they want people for the Sims 4) so it's either The Sims 5 or another Sims title.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited January 2021
    OMG im just happy to see more info about Sims 5!!! 😭😭😭😭 Even if its in a few years I dont mind as long as I know theyre working on it. I hate to see them continue doing Sims 4 stuff and Id really be disappointed if it were the last in the series. Sorry but overall I hate Sims 4 and have been waiting to hear more news of the next game. Been waiting years and Id love to have a current sims game that I want to support.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I also wish theyd make another forum area for Sims 5 posts instead of sims 4 speculation or franchise. We need our own subcategory.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
    edited January 2021

It says in the listing it's 'for a sims game'.

First listing:

'You will actively work with engineering, art, design, and quality verification groups to prototype and ship various features that expand the featureset of Sims games.'

Second listing:
    'As a Gameplay Software Engineer on The Sims, your job will be to develop user-facing content for The Sims.'

And so on.

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    So basically, they're repeating 2014. Snore Zzz.