Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Loses Star Wars Exclusivity License in 2023 - Is Journey to Batuu Part of the Reason?

ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
Lucas Films just posted a new blog on January 13, 2021:

"The Star Wars gaming galaxy is about to experience its own Big Bang.

“We’ve got a lot of stuff we’re ready to start sharing with fans,” Lucasfilm Games VP Douglas Reilly tells StarWars.com, “because we’ve been working quietly behind the scenes for a while now, waiting for this moment.”

And by “this moment,” (Douglas) Reilly (VP OF LUCASFILM Games,) is referring to a new direction and era for Star Wars and Lucasfilm gaming overall, as Lucasfilm Games is now opening the doors to developers that want to come play in the galaxy far, far away. “We’re looking to work with best-in-class teams that can make great games across all of our IP. We’ve got a team of professionals here at Lucasfilm Games who can work with the developers, shape the stories, shape the creative, shape the games, to make them really resonate with fans and deliver across a breadth of platforms, genres, and experiences so that all of our fans can enjoy the IPs that they know and love,” he says."

Internet Rejoice As Disney Ends EA Star Wars Exclusivity Deal After 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkHakpGrvg

EA Loses Exclusive Star Wars License! New Ubisoft Open-World Star Wars Game Announced!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2_tcxmETE4

They pretty much all say that Lucas Film who is in charge of all things Star Wars has opened up opportunities, expanding to work with other developers/publishers besides EA. Ubisoft itself will be working with Lucas Film Games to develop a new open world, story driven game.

It doesn't mean that EA will no longer work with Star Wars - they still have opportunities to do so, but this time, now that there is other competition, they can't be lax about work on Star Wars anymore. But what drew most of my interest to this news is the fact that there will be a new open world, story-driven game that won't be developed by EAxis, so I'm thinking that the poor reception of Journey to Batuu had played a big part in the decision for Lucas Films to work with other developers/publishers other than EAxis for a project such as this.

What do you guys think? Was the reception of Journey to Batuu an influence on LucasFilm Games' decision to not renew the exclusivity license with EA?

I personally think this is good news. It will force EA to do better, at least with any new upcoming Star Wars games they want to produce for LucasFilm Games. Wish the same could be said for The Sims franchise - but the competition just might do it!

Comments

• Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Perhaps, didn't they also threaten to not renew the license after Star Wars Battlefront 2 fiasco? Ubisoft is really decent at creating open world games so I hope they will do justice to Star Wars series.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2021
    izecson wrote: »
    Perhaps, didn't they also threaten to not renew the license after Star Wars Battlefront 2 fiasco? Ubisoft is really decent at creating open world games so I hope they will do justice to Star Wars series.

I agree. I was salivating at the trailers for Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Far Cry 6 and Watch_Dogs: Legion. So I'm really looking forward to this new open world story-driven game that's being produced.

I just hope this lights a fire under EA because they can make real great games if they really want to and make a serious effort. Star Wars: Fallen Order for example is high acclaimed because they made that effort. It's a game that I really want and will buy eventually, so I hope EA will keep making quality games like that.

Especially with The Sims 5.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    As funny as that would be, the cards were probably on the table for a while. Journey to Butt Hole probably came about because they knew their grasp on the brand was weakening, and the devs wanted to capitalize on what they had before they lost the chance.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    this is amusing, man, if ea could also lose the Sims license to be given to a better company..
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    izecson wrote: »

I agree. I was salivating at the trailers for Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Far Cry 6 and Watch_Dogs: Legion. So I'm really looking forward to this new open world story-driven game that's being produced.

I just hope this lights a fire under EA because they can make real great games if they really want to and make a serious effort. Star Wars: Fallen Order for example is high acclaimed because they made that effort. It's a game that I really want and will buy eventually, so I hope EA will keep making quality games like that.

Especially with The Sims 5.

Hey you should play Valhalla, I bought it at 24th December and have spent nearly 70 hours at the start of the new year, it really is a good game and I'm also eagerly waiting for FC6. Ubisoft is starting to get better for creating open world game since AC Origins.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    It was already known the license was running out in 2023. I figured that was the reason they released Journey to Batuu because they only had a limited time left and wanted to take full advantage.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I think Lucasfilm looked over at what Games Workshop's doing with the Warhammer license, making gobs of money by engaging a bunch of different licensees, and thought about all the different ways companies could express the IP. Creative Assembly/SEGA making Total War: Star Wars. Ubisoft making an open world RPG. A Star Wars 4X game or whatever. As big as EA is, they can't put out content at the same rate as a more decentralized licensing model.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    It was already known the license was running out in 2023. I figured that was the reason they released Journey to Batuu because they only had a limited time left and wanted to take full advantage.

This.

But it’s good news all around!
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I doubt it. If anything, they were probably forced to make it by the Disney overlords.
  • Options
    I doubt it. If anything, they were probably forced to make it by the Disney overlords.

Lyndsay Pearson said that’s not true. They wanted to make a Star Wars pack and she signed off on it. She thought it was a great idea.
  • Options

Lyndsay Pearson said that’s not true. They wanted to make a Star Wars pack and she signed off on it. She thought it was a great idea.

some of the devs seem to be star wars fans and i highly doubt someone who loves something would do such a shallow pack that barely connects with the star wars franchise itself. it just looked like a blatant advertisement for the disney theme park. i do think they were offered the star wars idea and both got into a deal, however with some restrictions, in this case be from the disney star wars section. anyways what devs affirm we can't take it as 100% true cuz sometimes they've been contradict themselves.
  • Options
    bella_goth wrote: »

some of the devs seem to be star wars fans and i highly doubt someone who loves something would do such a shallow pack that barely connects with the star wars franchise itself. it just looked like a blatant advertisement for the disney theme park. i do think they were offered the star wars idea and both got into a deal, however with some restrictions, in this case be from the disney star wars section. anyways what devs affirm we can't take it as 100% true cuz sometimes they've been contradict themselves.

They could if they don’t play the sims 4 which I bet my life that many of the devs don’t. It’s very obvious in live streams. I agree it is an advert but you can tell the devs had fun making it, that doesn’t translate to great gameplay. But they aren’t the ones playing the pack.

I’m not going to accuse the devs of lying about a pack they made. I take their words as intended. Lyndsay said this was her doing, previous producers have also said with packs they get a lot of freedom with themes and content.
  • Options
    bella_goth wrote: »

They could if they don’t play the sims 4 which I bet my life that many of the devs don’t. It’s very obvious in live streams. I agree it is an advert but you can tell the devs had fun making it, that doesn’t translate to great gameplay. But they aren’t the ones playing the pack.

I’m not going to accuse the devs of lying about a pack they made. I take their words as intended. Lyndsay said this was her doing, previous producers have also said with packs they get a lot of freedom with themes and content.

i didn't talk about gameplay but rather about the aesthetic, the world & the sims on it. i'm not even into star wars and the first things that comes to mind when thinking about it are darth vader, leia, yoda, you know the classical characters. i'm not very sure about how this whole thing works, but the pack itself just felt like a disney advertisement, and for example one of the most popular gurus is a huge star was fan, so i think while he had the opportunity to bring his hobby to his job, he would've done something great if he actually was freely able to. i'm not accusing anyone i'm just saying we don't really know what happens inside the ea departments, how are deals made, what are the restrictions, who makes the important decisions, etc.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I never understood why the devs were so Star Wars fans & still missed Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, C3PO, Chewbacca, Anakin Skywalker, Darth Sidious, Obi-Wan Kenobi & Qui-Gon.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I doubt it, EA has had a bad reputation for a very long time. They're renowned as the most hated video game company for a reason, everyone hates how they work and I doubt many developers want their hard work to be turned into desperate and careless cash grabs.
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    I don’t think it was the Batuu pack in particular but an addition to the long list of EA fails, which includes the Battlefront 2 fiasco a few years ago. EA is a lazy gaming company with poor business practices. Star Wars deserves a better publisher.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I think the big time of Star Wars is over anyways. I watched the last movies before Corona and I don't remember a single thing. JTB could btw be a quite enjoyable pack if they had placed a couple of free lots in the world.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    There needs to be a better PC Gaming Company to buy out EA.
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    I think the big time of Star Wars is over anyways. I watched the last movies before Corona and I don't remember a single thing. JTB could btw be a quite enjoyable pack if they had placed a couple of free lots in the world.

Naw. They’re just getting warmed up. The Book of Boba Fett comes this December followed by season 3 of The Mandalorian. Then there’s the Kenobi series and Ashoka is getting her own series. And Rogue Squadron will be a movie (please oh please Lucasfilms, retcon anything negative about Hobbie and give me the brofecta of Wedge, Wes and Hobbie plus Tycho Celchu as a bonus). Snd much more.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I think that the VP of Lucasfilm games is referring to the new Star Wars Saga titled High Republic when he gave that statement. This new saga is said to play out in a series of books, comic books, and maybe video games. But not films at the moment.