Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the sims 4 need 328 gb to run all the packs?

As in does it need all the required space for each and every pack plus 1gb for saves and CC? Because my game isn't starting it has the space but won't work and I'm wondering if it needs More space. Or if it really only needs the 15gb and should be working right now.
Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    I don't think the game uses like 328GB but it's definitely more than 15GB. I don't have all the packs (maybe missing like the recent 5-6 packs) and my The Sims 4 folder is already about about 30+GB.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I have all the packs installed except one game pack (Journey to Batuu - which I bought but haven't downloaded yet). The program files--in Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 4 are around 42 GB. The save files, mods, CC, etc. in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4 are, in my case, less than 3GB. So the complete game with all packs is around 50 GB.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2021
    System Requirements for base game and each pack says 4 GB RAM and 18 GB worth of memory, so it is 35 total with base game and all the packs, soon to be 36. So 35 times 18 is 630 GB worth of memory and 140 GB of RAM is the recommended requirement amounts which I highly recommend with save files and pictures and mods/CC use. Fun mini research project looking it up actually with EA Desktop which honestly runs so much better than Origin.
    System_Specs.jpg

There is also this resource too: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/the-sims-4-system-requirements/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    If your game isn't starting some necessary files might have been missing or corrupted, repair your game.

And no it doesnt need 328gb.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I have all the EPs, all save four (the supernatural and Star Wars) GPs, and about half a dozen SPs.

The total size of the folder on my SSD clocks in at about 38GB. If I had the rest of the packs it'd be higher, but nowhere near 328.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    System Requirements for base game and each pack says 4 GB RAM and 18 GB worth of memory, so it is 35 total with base game and all the packs, soon to be 36. So 35 times 18 is 630 GB worth of memory and 140 GB of RAM is the recommended requirement amounts which I highly recommend with save files and pictures and mods/CC use. Fun mini research project looking it up actually with EA Desktop which honestly runs so much better than Origin.
    System_Specs.jpg

There is also this resource too: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/the-sims-4-system-requirements/

140 GB of RAM? Where are you getting your motherboards from, NASA?
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    System_Specs.jpg

Okay so I’m not a computer expert but what are you talking about? I get that you need more storage for more packs, but you’re acting like every pack is the same download size. Aren’t most stuff packs like 500 MB?

Windows 10 can only handle 128 GB of RAM at most, and my computer only has like 16 and it runs almost all of the packs fine.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I have 16gb of ram, everything the games has to offer and mine runs just dandy. My husband, who is a computer expert says with my ssd I have a more powerful computer that I’ll ever need, even if I added all the versions of the Sims.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Unless you're a pro-level gamer, you can still play well with 8GB RAM, and 16GB is more than enough. And TS4 isn't as space-hungry as TS4 where saves with World Adventures data would go to 2GB+/each.

The base game takes the most space, packs are much lower - around 2GB for EPs, 1GB for GPs, and 0,5GB for SPs.

TS4 is quite gentle in this department. My TS4 folder (with roughly half the packs) is ~30GB game install and ~5GB of CC+mods. World of Warcraft is somewhere around 100GB at this point. There are games that are getting close to 200GB. If the game seems to be slow, getting an SSD instead of an HDD could be a good idea.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    If your game isn't starting some necessary files might have been missing or corrupted, repair your game.

I did repair the game, I removed the mods folder, I put the folder back, took out new cc, took out all mods, deleted other games from my computer, and updated the drivers. Even tried to reset the game. It's not working.

So I checked the storage requirements for all 37 incarnations and added them up to see if that was the issue. So far people think it's not. I don't know how to figure out what's corrupted.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited January 2021
    What way are you starting the game? From the shortcut or from origin menu? Idk why, but I've had issues with it starting from the shortcut sometimes. Never did look into it, so maybe was just some weirdness with mods or something in my case, but if you are doing it from the shortcut, maybe try from origin menu (e.g. go to it in the game library and launch from there) just in case.

All I can think of atm if you've already tried repair, taking out mods, etc.

Edit: Also, you could see if the fail to launch is producing a lastCrash file in sims 4 folder (the same one where lastExceptions show up). I don't think anyone other than EA has the info to interpret lastCrash files, but it would at least point to whether the game is crashing for some reason, or just failing to start.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited January 2021
    LSM36 wrote: »
    As in does it need all the required space for each and every pack plus 1gb for saves and CC? Because my game isn't starting it has the space but won't work and I'm wondering if it needs More space. Or if it really only needs the 15gb and should be working right now.

What exactly do you mean by not starting?

If it is crashing or freezing before the main menu there are several things that can cause that. First disable Origin In Game, thats the most common cause. If that doesnt help repair your install and see if that works.

Next things to try is removing or renaming (NOT deleting) your mod folder. remember to delete localthumbcache.package

If that doesnt work, RENAME your "The Sims 4" folder, try start it again and hopefully it will start sucessfully and it will create a clean "The Sims 4 Folder". Try start a new save and see what happens. If all that works, close down, and move your "Saves", "Tray" and "Screenshots" folder over and see what happens. If it starts successfully, you can try copying your Mods folder across, although you could use it as an opportunity to rebuild it.

If none of this helps, or if its crashing or hanging on loading a save, go over to the Technical Support forum over at AnswerHQ, they should be able to help you
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
    edited January 2021
    System_Specs.jpg

LOL nah most desktops these days have 1 TB minimum. Actually got them building my computer with PCPartPicker so a mix between Amazon and Newegg for parts. Then again I was raised when computers where only 256 MB during the Sims 1. You get used to upgrading it every iteration. Then again some may still be running the Sims 4 on their Sims 1 systems *shrugs*. Up to them packing packs on a unstable base. Same argument you could say with putting packs on an unstable base game. What is more important performance or meaty gameplay with the Sims? This is why we have a shallow Sims 4 is simply people can't run it let alone a future Sims 5 game on their current systems well. Origin is also a huge memory hog in addition to the game too.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    I have 16gb of ram, everything the games has to offer and mine runs just dandy. My husband, who is a computer expert says with my ssd I have a more powerful computer that I’ll ever need, even if I added all the versions of the Sims.
    Yeah SSDs are wonderful. I got a 2 TB one with Black Friday sale for cheap.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,874 Member

I have to repeat this question.. 140 GB of RAM????? I mean we are not talking about disk space here.

And here was I who assumed my 32GB was "high end"...

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    edited January 2021
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    System_Specs.jpg

Okay so I’m not a computer expert but what are you talking about? I get that you need more storage for more packs, but you’re acting like every pack is the same download size. Aren’t most stuff packs like 500 MB?

Windows 10 can only handle 128 GB of RAM at most, and my computer only has like 16 and it runs almost all of the packs fine.
    Ok recommended as in a computer that can run in ultra. Most games these days take 5-8GB worth of memory, so Sims 4 as a base game is still tame to other games.

This comes from EA directly: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/the-sims-4-system-requirements/
    From the Sims site which shows the same: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/system-requirements

Minimum is: Operating system: 64 Bit Required. Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
    RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: At least 15 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
    VIDEO: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better

Windows 10 can handle a lot more than 128GB of RAM or random access memory and it is the temporary memory base. More about the difference between RAM and Memory: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/whats-diff-ram-vs-storage/ Memory is like a more permanent base for the computer. I did check each pack with EA Desktop and they did show same download size for their specs, so coming from EA directly. I thought it was odd too, but how they advertise their games.

About the legacy edition too which will work for packs prior to Discover University:
    https://help.ea.com/en/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/the-sims-4-legacy-edition/

Anyway just what EA and Maxis has for their games, so just sharing what they have provided the public.

This site is a great resource too just for testing out games against computer: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Hope it helps. Honestly when I started playing Sims 1 on my computer I could only run like two to three packs per iteration until I finally built my first parts gaming computer and now I just can't go back. Then again I've always been a really big gamer especially with the chill simulation genre, so been really happy what indie games have developed too and I have been enjoying games like Fuser. I look back on my days of using a laptop and I'm like why? Wish that tablets were available when I went to college because they were heavy when I went to school and expensive.

This is a fun article too about percentages of Steam players that are able to play games with their computers: https://playkey.medium.com/calling-it-good-a-look-at-how-many-steam-users-no-longer-buy-new-computer-hardware-570f8b7d09fe But if you shop right you can find a monitor, computer, keyboard, and speakers for much less than $250 easily.

It's like the packs being lackluster I think have a lot to do whether Simmers can run them or not and since Discover University came out, packs have been more detailed and have more gameplay to them which I'm so happy the game is in 64 bit now and not confined to 32 bit like the Sims 3 PC version was left.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    izecson wrote: »

I did repair the game, I removed the mods folder, I put the folder back, took out new cc, took out all mods, deleted other games from my computer, and updated the drivers. Even tried to reset the game. It's not working.

So I checked the storage requirements for all 37 incarnations and added them up to see if that was the issue. So far people think it's not. I don't know how to figure out what's corrupted.

My ssd where sims 4 is installed is only have 10gb left and im still able to run the game without seeing any stability or performance degradation, so i dont think it's the issue, do you remember when was the last time you were still able to run the game, if you remember i would suggest but this only as a last resort, by performing system restore prior the issue. it could be another driver, or windows update causing the problem.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member

It may not be your ram. It may be your cpu or graphics card that is causing the issue.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    System_Specs.jpg

Good point. PCs can only use so much ram.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Definitely not that much, I don't think my PC even has that much storage lol

It may not be your ram. It may be your cpu or graphics card that is causing the issue.
    Yeah graphics cards help a lot and help take the taxing efforts of games off of the CPU. Pretty much acts like a buffer and Intel is probably the worst graphics card in the market now and poll on forums shows about half of the Sims forums are running their games on Intel integrated cards. I've done it and I would not recommend it since it will overclock computers over time and break them. It's like running a car without oil. Yes it will run, but it will start breaking the car. I guess it just comes to do Simmers want to be able to run the Sims games short term or long term. I would recommend investing wisely. Sims 4 isn't a cheap game at $790, so it is like putting expensive paint on a lemon of a car adding all the packs without a system that can run it well. If Sims 3 taught us anything is upgrading systems when it is feasible is important especially when it comes to gaming which is constantly changing every year. Why I wanted the Sims 4 to come on console too and pushed for it because consoles have a more stable system than computers to run their games on and more equally distributed across the board with them. That way Simmers that can't afford a gaming computer can play the Sims on a console at least.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    As I mentioned before, have you disabled Origin in game and have you tried starting with a clean Sims 4 folder?

Also, you should really ask over at the AnswerHQ Techincal Support forums for Sims 4, thjey'll be of more help.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
    I've been over it with EA they even had me factory reset my pc. I have all my files. I redownloaded sims 4. Doesn't work. And we tried the clean boot thing with a new sims 4 folder. I'm wondering if I should have done it again after the reset. Instead of leaving the folder from my backup, from months ago in. I used that instead of the current folder. Switched them out hoping it would help. It didn't.

What exactly do you mean by not starting?

If it is crashing or freezing before the main menu there are several things that can cause that. First disable Origin In Game, thats the most common cause. If that doesnt help repair your install and see if that works.

Next things to try is removing or renaming (NOT deleting) your mod folder. remember to delete localthumbcache.package

If that doesnt work, RENAME your "The Sims 4" folder, try start it again and hopefully it will start sucessfully and it will create a clean "The Sims 4 Folder". Try start a new save and see what happens. If all that works, close down, and move your "Saves", "Tray" and "Screenshots" folder over and see what happens. If it starts successfully, you can try copying your Mods folder across, although you could use it as an opportunity to rebuild it.

If none of this helps, or if its crashing or hanging on loading a save, go over to the Technical Support forum over at AnswerHQ, they should be able to help you

Why should I delete localthumbcache I see it in my sims 4 folder. Will doing that fix the game?