Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Platform for challenges/storytelling (tumblr,Wordpress...)

Hey Guys!

I know this is a topic that has been discussed a lot before, yet i still have a specific question and some doubts, thoughts. Help me out!

So, i've been playing sims for over 20 years now. I'd call myself a veteran. I always play legacy-style and do a lot of generational/family gameplay.
Also, i make some really wacky sims. I just think it's funny to test the limits of genetics and physics within the game, it keeps it interesting for me :smiley:

Obviously i've thought about setting up a page to document my sims, families and legacy challenges. And like a lot of writers/storrytellers out there i've been going back and forth between Wordpress and Tumblr.

I finally set up a tumblr account, got familiar with the platform and started posting. So far, it's going good and i find it easy to use. Tumblr also has a very active and large sims community.

However, one of the main things i love about sims blogs is interaction. I love to engage with fellow simmers and having the option for people to leave comments on posts, no matter what platform or device they are using. This is what makes me have doubts about Tumblr. Anyone who is also using tumblr can comment on your posts and start interacting, but non-tumblr users can only 'like' a post, not comment.

There is an option to enable 'disqus' on tumblr, it ads a comment box beneath 'text' posts, but not on 'photo' posts (and i use those the most).
Also, i have my tumblr set up so anyone visiting it outside of tumblr can navigate to a chronological order of first post to last, to follow the story. This is nice, but in the chronological overview the comment box from disqus doesn't show. It only appears if you actually click on a post to open the individual blogpost. Which no one ever does because my posts are short, based on screenshots and caption-style. It's more fun and logical to read a whole generation scrolling down from first to last post. This means i will get little to no interaction from non-tumblr users.

To demonstrate, here's the link to my individual post introducing my founder with comment box, and here's a link to the overview of everything going on in gen1 so far clearly showing no comment box under the same post.

For this reason i was thinking of switching to Wordpress. It's easier to set up a page with easy navigation, and comments are built-in standard for every post, and accesible by anyone.

So, what do you guys think? Should i rearrange my whole tumblr into individual 'chapters' so there's a comment box under every post? Or should i just set up a wordpress to document my gameplay? Or maybe keep both?

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I prefer blogs sites like Wordpress over Tumblr for stories for a few reasons, a couple of which you've already addressed.

1. Easier for anyone to comment and gives you more control over what comments show on the blog. Helpful against spam and flames. You can set up certain words to trigger a comment to be flagged for approval. My blog doesn't have any individual words, but is set that the first comment has to be approved. Keeps spam from showing to my readers.
    2. Easier for readers to find the beginning of the story and progress to the next post or find where they left off if they don't binge read your story after it's been going for a while. Can also set up your home page to be static and not just a list of posts. Helps keep readers from spoiling themselves by exploring the blog.
    3. I can have pages to go over information I want my readers to know without having to have specific tabs just for that so that it shows up if you click on it. Like character bios and challenge score sheets. Or rules I'm playing by if I'm not following the rules as written.

You can post on Tumblr when you have your update so that your Tumblr only readers can know that you've updated the story.

You could also use your Tumblr as a behind the scenes or a blooper page or place to show off pictures that don't make it into the story.
  • hupplepuffhupplepuff Posts: 87 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    I prefer blogs sites like Wordpress over Tumblr for stories for a few reasons, a couple of which you've already addressed.

1. Easier for anyone to comment and gives you more control over what comments show on the blog. Helpful against spam and flames. You can set up certain words to trigger a comment to be flagged for approval. My blog doesn't have any individual words, but is set that the first comment has to be approved. Keeps spam from showing to my readers.
    2. Easier for readers to find the beginning of the story and progress to the next post or find where they left off if they don't binge read your story after it's been going for a while. Can also set up your home page to be static and not just a list of posts. Helps keep readers from spoiling themselves by exploring the blog.
    3. I can have pages to go over information I want my readers to know without having to have specific tabs just for that so that it shows up if you click on it. Like character bios and challenge score sheets. Or rules I'm playing by if I'm not following the rules as written.

You can post on Tumblr when you have your update so that your Tumblr only readers can know that you've updated the story.

You could also use your Tumblr as a behind the scenes or a blooper page or place to show off pictures that don't make it into the story.

Thanks for the feedback. You kind of confirmed what i was allready thinking about. I really like your idea of using tumblr as a glitch/blooper/anouncement page and then having a wordpress to post actual chapters in a legacy. I think that's what i'll do!

So thanks :)