Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hobby & Skill pack, what would you want in it?

ZussageZussage Posts: 141 Member
edited January 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
An idea I've seen floating around is making a GP or even an EP to add more skills and Hobbies in the game. Right now we're getting little things in stuff packs - Knitting, and now the upcoming Medium skill. Would you like to see a pack like this? How many new hobbies and skills would you want it to include? If so, what specific skills and hobbies? Do you think they could keep it balanced so it's not dominated by one avenue of hobbies. Here's some ideas I've seen, taken from the forums and some of my own ideas personally:

1) Some kind of Dungeons and Dragons game: this could be a hobby, I don't think it would need to be it's own skill. I think it could function really similarly to how Void Critters work in the Kids pack. You'd have a special gaming table, or else a kit that goes on a table and sims interact with it when they play together. And then, each individual sim has it's own character sheet they make (similar to void Critters cards). They can level up, win or lose, and they could add a bunch of items and posters around the DnD game. They could even have a few themes like space, Cyberpunk and fantasy.

2) Arts and Crafts: This was the winning vote that ended up becoming the Knitting SP. But room for lote more arts and crafts, and would make a really great skill. The more you level up, the more different tmkinds if things you can make. It could start with origami and move up to things like wire sculptures and cosplay.

3) Bands: We need actual bands! Give us a few more instruments sims can become skilled in like drums, saxophone, etc. Then let sims mix and match to make whatever kind of band they want, from heavy metal to a more classic orchestra. Then they can book gigs together.

4) Horse Riding: Lots of people miss horses from the Sims 3. They already have a model to follow for it and everything to make it a skill again.

5) Real Diving: This could be controversial as it likely should have been in Island Living, but I still want to see it in the game. It was a great feature in Sims 3 and allowed for treasure hunting.

Comments

• MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    edited January 2021
    Occult Related Skills
    - Werewolf Lore
    - Mermaid Lore (I doubt we'll get updated mermaids, but I can dream. Lol)
    - Tarot Reading
    - Crystal Knowledge

Other Skills
    - Skateboarding
    - Surfing
    - Cheerleading

We have snowboarding in game now, so it shouldn't be too hard to implement surfing and skateboarding.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,944 Member
    edited January 2021
    1.I would really like sewing and embroidery
    +loom and spinning wheel to make fabrics, thread and yarn

but i do see how those all would not be included in one pack

so I would probably take out loom and spinning wheel for some other pack like past themed or farming or whatever (especially farming for you could get wool from animals and yeah itd just be like nice to have that realism of continuing crafty crafty)
    with these 2

you could craft clothing from really fancy dresses and suits to casual clothing

and really detailed beautiful decorative cushions, sheets, curtains and wall arts
    (possibly patch so we can choose bedsheets separately from bed frame)
    there could also be career like dressmaking/tailor or fashion designer

and some objects could require for you to embroider the fabric and then sew the object using embroidered fabrics
    (or other way around for that matter)
    2.I would like to have pottery and make all sorts of things you could make using pottery wheel

but especially this could be used to make cute tea sets that are actually functional *winkwonk* and there could be fancy ones that materialistic sims could show off

3. kids skill items like toy ovens etc would probably really go nicely here as well
    though i could also see them a part of separate generations theme
    4. ballet or other performance dance type of thing (oh maybe cultural dances?)
    (i want couple dancing most tbh but its more of romance pack thing so i list it out of this but u kno just saying it goes for hobby too)
    5. something nature like archery/hunting or birdwatching or whatever

6. golf since we have those fake golf grounds in worlds and all

7.cultural/unique instruments we sadly have been missing out on
    I just feel they might make bands and singers type of separate music pack and miss out on them again
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • TruthGamer96TruthGamer96 Posts: 123 Member
    Someone might have said it already, but glassblowing is a skill that fascinates me irl, plus it would be a neat way to create vases to put flowers in rather than having to to through the whole flower arranging thing (which I love but takes forever--sometimes I just wanna plop a daisy in a vase, people).
  • Simtarris22Simtarris22 Posts: 75 Member
    FASHION DESIGNER TO MAKE EXCLUSIVE APPAREL AND ACCESSORIES; JEWELRY MAKING; INVENTING
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    Someone might have said it already, but glassblowing is a skill that fascinates me irl, plus it would be a neat way to create vases to put flowers in rather than having to to through the whole flower arranging thing (which I love but takes forever--sometimes I just wanna plop a daisy in a vase, people).

I like this idea. Would be nice to have them in several sizes and with slots for more flowers. I would also like a jewelry station that would allow sims to craft their own jewelry using metals and gems they find. Chocolate or candy making would also be nice. I would also like if they could expand on the woodworking skill to include more craftable furniture of nice quality but traditional looking, not modern IKEA stuff. Winemaking is also something I'd like to see back with he option for the wine to make sims either sleepy, happy, flirty, angry, sad. And since we have so many caves, I think it would be nice to have a cave exploration skill.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,944 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I would also like if they could expand on the woodworking skill to include more craftable furniture of nice quality but traditional looking, not modern IKEA stuff.

yes pls.
    this is where eco lifestyle furniture making lost me 100% like no i dont want futuristic machine for crafting and no i dont want the modern ikea look

I want awesome handcrafted things made by hand

and yes jewellery making and wine making would also be cool especially if i could make some ridiculous expensive fancy things to pass down in family ;)

⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2021
    Hi! These are really fun ideas! Here are mine (and some of yours 😊):

NEW FEATURES
    *”Talents” and ”untalents” (?? Maybe not the right word, English it´s not my first language…). The option to choose what the sim is “gifted”/”ungifted at in CAS (and unlimited choices hehe… 😊). A baby can be borned with talents/untalents based on parents and grandparents or random (possibility to turn off this)

*Interests/Hobbies: you will gain more “interest” in a hobby if you perform it often. If you stop doing the hobby for a while, the “interest” will decrease. Forced action (like PARENTHOOD GP: ”force skill gain” -on kid) will not increasing the interest.
    Great/High “interest” in a hobby = easier/harder to socialize with sims with a high/low interest in the hobby, positive moodlets from performing the interest/hobby (inspired/Energized/Happy).
    Weak/Low ”interest” in a hobby = easier/harder to socialize with sims with a low/high interest in the hobby, negative moodlets from performing the interest/hobby (bored, tensed)

* Some skills can become inactive/slowly decrease to a lower skill (will not lose all of the skills, and only if you do not perform the hobby/skill for a longer period of time). E.g. The sim will “forget” some things if they for an example played the piano as a kid, then stopped playing for a lot years, and started again as an elder.

*Interest/Hobbies affect the “Meaningfulness points” (similiar to sims 2 aspiration bar) and whims / wants&fears

NEW SKILLS
    Fitness skills
    (all following skills will also more or less increase the “fitness skill”, similar to “rock climbing” skill in Snowy Escape = gain “Rock climbing” and a small amount of “Fitness” at the same time):
    -Dancing: classical (ballet)
    -Dancing: modern (street, jazz, etc)
    -Dancing: Ballroom dancing (tango, salsa, ballroom, etc)
    -Boxing (Punching bag, action with another sim, will level up “fitness skill” as well)
    -Swimming (updated from base game, new interaction to -swim- “race” with another sim)
    -Martial arts
    -Yoga (SPA DAY SP, divided from “wellness”)

Other skills
    -Sewing
    -Nectar making
    -Art & Crafts (to do crafts)
    -Cave exploration skill (GREAT IDEA from “Crocobaura”)
    -Meditation (SPA DAY SP, will level up your Life skill as well)
    -Music production skill (Get famous, separate from “Media production” skill)
    -Media production skill (Get famous, without “Music production” skill)

UPDATE TO EXISTING SKILLS
    *Separate skill for everything (like the new “rock climbing skill” from Snowy Escape):
    -Research (DU EP, higher research skill give you faster skill gain when “researching” +easier to learn logic skills)
    -Debate (DU EP, higher debate skill give you the option to “convince” +easier to learn charisma skill)
    (you need to level up both Research and Debate for the “Academic” aspiration -D.U. EP)

NEW CAREERS
    More new freelance branches/careers that give you the opportunity to make money from your hobby.

-New Freelance career: Dancer
    Examples on gigs: Music video dancing, choreograph for the opera house (etc, rabbit hole/travel to lot if Get Famous EP is installed)
    Skill needs for gigs: “Dancing: classical” +”Fitness” / “Dancing: modern” +“Charisma”

-New Freelance career: Jewelry designer/ Silversmith

-New Freelance career: Nectar making

-New freelance career: Cabinet-maker (Handiness)
    Gigs: Craft items from the woodworking table

-New freelance career: Teach snowboard / skiing / rock climbing (Snowy Escape EP)
    Gigs: Teach snowboard / skiing / rock climbing (rabbit hole/travel to lot…)
    Skill needs for gigs: snowboard / Skiing / rock climbing
    UPDATE TO EXISTING CAREERS

*Update to Snowy Escape EP: New freelance career for snowboard / skiing / rock climbing

*The possibility to stay on a career level and just get a raise (money) when filling up the performance bar. And the possibility to start working “normally” again (get promotions).
    Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Zussage wrote: »
    1) Some kind of Dungeons and Dragons game: this could be a hobby, I don't think it would need to be it's own skill. I think it could function really similarly to how Void Critters work in the Kids pack. You'd have a special gaming table, or else a kit that goes on a table and sims interact with it when they play together. And then, each individual sim has it's own character sheet they make (similar to void Critters cards). They can level up, win or lose, and they could add a bunch of items and posters around the DnD game. They could even have a few themes like space, Cyberpunk and fantasy.
    Yes! Maybe even take it to the next level, and have larping too.

3) Bands: We need actual bands! Give us a few more instruments sims can become skilled in like drums, saxophone, etc. Then let sims mix and match to make whatever kind of band they want, from heavy metal to a more classic orchestra. Then they can book gigs together.
    I am so frustrated that bands don't already exist. It's been 80 years. Where the heck are the drums?

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but one thing that is needed is a full playable woodwind or brass instrument! The only thing we've ever seen in the entirety of The Sims franchise (now about 21 years) that was a wind instrument is the pungi (snake-charming instrument) and while that is an actual instrument, the games just treat it as a gimmick for the snake charming skill.

Just add a playable flute or trumpet or something like that.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    I love this thread, and I want all of it. Haha. Top of my list is the expansion of dancing to include more styles, couple's dances, and group dances. It would be fun to have my sim children perform a dance recital. I also want the ability to craft more things (pottery, sculptures, quilts, clothing, jewelry, toys, and so on). There was a thread on here that was for a candy store or something. I'd love to see the ability to make confections and candies to sell in a shop. On a somewhat side note, I'd love our sims to be able to own and operate customizable food stalls.

I also want car restoration back and more team sports/group activities. I want my sims kids and teens to have more to do as a group. We have clubs, so I want to be able to have a soccer club or American football club. I love that Dungeons and Dragons was mentioned. That would be a fun addition. I so want them to dress up and get really into their games.

Sometimes, I feel like I want too much.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    I'd love to see a hobby system implemented in a pack like this or as a free update.

This is what I'd like to see:

1. Pick several skills that will be learned faster, raise fun while learning, and are more likely to be done autonomously.
    2. Pick a few skills that will be learned slowely, cause boredom, and will not be done autonomously.

It would be nice if we could pick these in CAS while creating the sim and if there was a randomize button.

Sims could earn points by doing favored hobbies that then can be used to buy perks as with the club system. For example, Mentor (allows sim to mentor others in their preferred skill), In The Zone (instantly puts sim in the best emotional state for learning that skill), Never Regress (they'd have to add the possibly to lose skills with this one), etc.

I just really want to be able to pick which skills my sims are interested in and designate other skills as off limits. It would also help sims feel a little more individualistic.
    edited February 2021
    I'd love to see a hobby system implemented in a pack like this or as a free update.

This is what I'd like to see:

1. Pick several skills that will be learned faster, raise fun while learning, and are more likely to be done autonomously.
    2. Pick a few skills that will be learned slowely, cause boredom, and will not be done autonomously.

It would be nice if we could pick these in CAS while creating the sim and if there was a randomize button.

Sims could earn points by doing favored hobbies that then can be used to buy perks as with the club system. For example, Mentor (allows sim to mentor others in their preferred skill), In The Zone (instantly puts sim in the best emotional state for learning that skill), Never Regress (they'd have to add the possibly to lose skills with this one), etc.

I just really want to be able to pick which skills my sims are interested in and designate other skills as off limits. It would also help sims feel a little more individualistic.

Yes! Good ideas! I need the #2 (not be done autonomously) in my game right now!! (I can´t have computers and stereos on a lot because my sims just can´t resist to dance or play video games ALL THE TIME. And in the long run every sim in my game get the same hobbies... even the clumsy and technophobic ones... :s
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Bands and Horses for sure.
    My sims need to be able to perform Dueling Banjos, jump on their ponies and ride off into the golden sunset.
  • simmerannsimmerann Posts: 25 Member
    I would LOVE to see the ability to be in a band- have sims play music TOGETHER!
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited February 2021
    Mining - to me it should be the equivalent to Gardening, Going under ground, and foraging for Ores, Metals, Stones, Crystals.
    It should be a skill, because the better you are at extracting the ores, the bigger more you can sell it for or craft a higher valued item

Forging/Blacksmithing - Crafting Armor Swords, Maces Axes, Hammers Javelins/Lances.

Jewelry Crafting, I really want to put the things we collect to good use.
    Stones/Crystals, Metals.
    -Craft Rings, Necklaces, Bracelets, Crowns, Tiaras, Septres

Fencing/Swordplay - I really want to play Knights, After Get together, Get Famous, and Journey to Batuu, We have armor, we Have sword fighting animations, and we have craftible weapons. Bring it all together and it could be a really cool pack

Lumbering - expanding on Cutting down trees and harvesting wood

Expand woodworking Crafting Shields, Bows and Arrows and cross bows

Archery Skill.

Clothier - Between Knitting, And being a stylist, I really wish my Sims could Craft clothing, Stylish Clothing... "Create a Style" not as a Build/buy/CAS mode Tool, but a Game play interaction.

Nectar & Ale making
    I really want to make mass harvesting have a point.
    When you want your sim to operate the Grape Press, the press should require Sims to have at least 80 Grapes in their inventory.
    To use the distillery, you need at least 40 Grain. and using other fruits to make flavored ale.

Ballroom Dancing- Particularly the Foxtrot and the Waltz
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    edited February 2021
    I really like the perks system, it´s a fun element and make the sims feels more like a “game". But a risk with that system is that after a while you will get an unlimited amount of points and nothing to do with them because all rewards are already bought. (all my sims have A LOT of influence points/club points and I don´t know what to do with them?!).

I hope that we can get a system to sims 4 that doesn´t become pointless after a while (= when you have all perks/rewards). In sims 2 there was an Aspiration bar that affected the sims wellbeing (High meter -“Platinum”? = increased happiness/positive feelings, Low meter - “Depressed?” = decreased happiness, visit from the eccentric therapist). You needed to regulate this bar the whole life of the sim. I would really like something like that, it would also give more challenges to the game.
    95949_original.jpg
    The Aspiration bar from sims 2

ASPIRATION BAR / LIFELONG ASPIRATION / LIFE DIRECTION (New Whims/Wants & Fears system)
    *Choose 1-3 aspirations that your sim wants to focus on right now. Possibility to change the aspirations at any time.
    *You will not complete it (like ambitions) but just “strive” towards it (get new tasks to complete throughout life).
    *Will give you both negative and positive tasks (Wants & Fears). E.g. a sim with the “family” aspiration will get the positive tasks/wants: have a child, have a successful family reunion, become friend with your child (etc), AND the negative tasks/fears: get divorced, be cheated on, brawl with relative (etc). A sims with the “Interest & Hobbies” aspiration wants to focus on their hobbies and will get positive tasks/negative tasks (wants/fears) about the hobby (skill gain/skill loss, winning game/losing game, influence another sim to become interested in the hobby, earn a Bronze / Silver / Gold badge in a hobby
    *Aspirations to choose from:
    1. Family 2. Romantic 3. Pleasure (Just want some fun) 4. Career 5. Money 6. Popularity 7. Knowledge 8. Power 9. Hedonism (Enjoying life) 10. Goodness 11. Spiritual development 12. Personal growth 13. Health & Wellbeing 14. Vanity 15. Evilness 16. Interest & Hobbies 17. Wildlife & Nature 18. Occult (or one for each occult, vampire/Ghost...)
    *Complete positive tasks (wants/whims) / experience positive events / perform "meaningsful" activities (e.g. hobbies that the sim has an interest in) = raise the Aspiration bar
    *Fail/Complete negative tasks (fears) / experience negative events / perform "pointless" actions (e.g. performing a "hobby" that the sim has no interests in) = lower the Aspiration bar.
    *A sim that goes for a longer period of time without perfoming their interests (no hobbies) will get the moodlet "Is life just Eat, Sleep, Work?!" (decreasing aspiration bar).
    *High Aspiration bar = more positive moodlets, will give the sim a feeling of "meaningfulness" in life
    8rwn35j5bv0z.png
    Wants & Fears from sims 2
    Possible "aspiration levels" for sims 4 could be:
    1. Prosperous (occasionally gets a moodlet that increase positive emotions +2, constant and slow increase in Self-esteem points, different positive moodlets)
    2. Satisfied (occasionally gets a moodlet that increase positive emotions +1)
    3. Ok (occasionally gets a moodlet that increase neutral emotions)
    4. Down (occasionally gets a moodlet that increase negative emotions -1)
    5. Depressed (occasionally gets a moodlet that increase negative emotions -2, risk of getting mental break-downs, constant and slow decrease in self-confidence, reduces energy bar faster, getting exhausted from work out faster, lower learning abilities and shorter times with focus, risk of getting moodlet “anxious”).
    FROM LIFE STRUGGLES PACK: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/986200/life-struggles-pack-updates-sims-4-memory-system-consequences-wants-fears-personality-overhaul

HOBBIES PERK SYSTEM
    Similiar to the Fame / vampire perks. You can get to 3 levels in your hobby (not skill level, affected when perfoming the hobby).
    Gold: choose perks from level 3
    Silver: chose perks from level 2
    Bronze: choose perks from level 1
    MTS_claudiasharon-1809234-fameperks0.jpg
    Use Hobby points / perk points to buy a perk from level 1-3 ("Faster skill gain", "Longer positive moodlets after performed hobby", "faster increased Aspiration bar when performing the hobby" etc). An option to buy an Aspiration potion (increasing your sims Aspiration bar) for Hobby points. That way you can always use your points (the Aspiration bar will increase/decrease throughout life).
    Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • Dancergal123Dancergal123 Posts: 9 New Member
    I think competitive cheerleading and competitive dance would be so much fun! Or even as an extracurricular activity and have that alongside school sports. You could choose to do cheer, football, soccer, baseball, dance team, orchestra/marching band, ect. That would be a fun addition alongside a school pack so that you could go to school with the kids and take part in the whole school experience!
  • LMC6255LMC6255 Posts: 940 Member
    It would be great if there was a skill pack that featured tennis! It could be called Tennis Stuff or Tennis Day and it would have everything necessary for building a tennis court.. Tennis game play interactions, with rackets, and balls.. Plus tennis fashion items such as outfits and shoes.. I think this would make a great stuff pack or game pack..
  • redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
    Here is my list of Skills I would like to have in Sims 4

1. Sculture Carving
    2. Gem & Stone Cutting for Jewelry Making
    3. Pottery & Clay Work
    4. Perfume Making
    5. Nectar Making like in Sims 3
    6. Sewing
    7. Diving like in Sims 3 for Deep diving
    8. Glass Blowing
    9. Driving
    10. Auto Mechanic
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
  • jineratorjinerator Posts: 377 Member
    redrogue60 wrote: »
    Here is my list of Skills I would like to have in Sims 4

1. Sculture Carving
    2. Gem & Stone Cutting for Jewelry Making
    3. Pottery & Clay Work
    4. Perfume Making
    5. Nectar Making like in Sims 3
    6. Sewing
    7. Diving like in Sims 3 for Deep diving
    8. Glass Blowing
    9. Driving
    10. Auto Mechanic

Yes! Glass blowing and nectar making! And I'm so interested how it could work with perfume making. I know the sims community could come up with some really in depth ideas..but will EA?

• NadinniNadinni Posts: 1 New Member
    The idea of being able to hire a dog walker or have the ability to walk more then 1 pet at a time would be really great if if hasn't already come up, even having it as like a part time profession or something, would also be great if you could hire a pet sitter. :)
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Bike restoration. We already have bikes and it would make them more meaningful if sims were able to pimp and fix them. It would make a great hobby :smile: