March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Evident Bugs After Origin Tie In, FYI thread

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
This is just a FYI post for those who may have to tie their game (TS2UC) to Origin at some date in the future. When I switched from my five year old failing pc to a new one I missed my TS2UC so much I had to reinstall Origin to be able to play my saved games (now) that were not tied to Origin since 2014. Right away I noticed how the 'new patch' which is already there if you download the TS2UC from Origin now, was 'different'.

The following bugs appeared after putting back in my saved games from all the way back in 2014 when we were given the complete game which didn't require we log in or keep Origin on pc, or having to keep Origin installed. These are what I have been playing for several years of the TS2UC.

1. Plates disappear on some lots. Not all lots, but enough to be annoying and noticeable. Sometimes green fumes can be seen but nothing on the table, counter or floor. (Stuck hidden items). Sometimes moving the table may reveal a dirty tv tray food item etc.

2. Plates in some cases that were going to be cleaned by a Sim but got cancelled or interrupted remain non selectable if that happens. Only the Sim that was going to clean it up can clean it up. This is separate from #1.

3. Different types of jump bugs. Example: Command a Sim to fix a toaster pastry and they may jump out of action (if distracted by clean counter) and the stove door may remain open but no toaster pastry to be removed and have to do the command again. (so the stove door will close) and or the pan may be left on the lot in some cases without any food in it. Which is movable.

4. Sims at restaurants steal more food. It depends on if there are enough tables to house everyone hanging out. Granted this was not a problem before having to tie Origin to my saves. (Having to log in (even if offline) to Origin). On one outing Sims stole the food of my Sims eating out more than once in one sitting.

5. Maids not showing up. This happened quiet a few times at different homes. This was not a problem before downloading the newly patched TS2UC from the tie in to Origin.

6. Repair workers not showing up either on a few different lots.

7. Sims again (old bug) not following commands such as 'have lunch' they set down the plate after fixing it without eating it.

8. Sims don't follow through on some commands such as when dealing with stoves and may not do the command but do something else.

9. Call to Meal missing while Sims are carrying the plate. I know this was removed years ago but I still had it for some reason before tying this save to Origin.

10. Many more things I noticed but have slipped my mind.

Note: This was the games/hoods I have been working on, playing since the release of TS2UC in 2014 that was not tied to Origin. As I have stated before, I uninstalled Origin in 2017. Origin left behind the Origin game files which included my TS2UC which was perfectly legal for me to continue to play since it was not tied to EA's Origin. That was nice of them.

However, if you install TS2UC today, it is tied to Origin log in. You can log in off line however, you may see more bugs you didn't have when you put back in your saves. This has nothing to do with those who accidently allowed Origin to update TS2UC and tie it to Origin. In my opinion these are bugs that exist in the newly tied to Origin game if you install it today.

Yes, some of these could be cc related, however, each and every one of the things I listed were old bugs when the game was current and were patched way back, and seem to be present in the version Origin has for download if you start out fresh with the current download of Origin and TS2UC at this point in time.

This was just a FYI of how buggy tying Origin to my saved TS2UC turned out to be on a fresh install of Origin on a diff pc and putting back in my saved TS2UC from my old pc.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    I'm sorry you are having so many issues. The only one I've seen is the jump bug, but I've been seeing that one periodically since the game came out.

I had Sims 2 on the EA Downloader (even packs I bought on disk, I registered and downloaded), then when they changed it to Origin it was on there. Then when UC came out, I automatically got it on there to download. So I don't know if the fact that I've always played through their service has made a difference?

Of course it could also be luck. There have always been bugs some people had and others didn't.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I personally did not notice any new bugs or any increase in bugs when going from disc to Origin, though I am unsure of if my UC is tied to Origin or not.

I do however doubt there is a difference between the two versions as the only changes were to remove Securom and add Origin required. Neither of which would affect that actual game's code. Or at least not so much of a difference to cause all of the things you've noticed.

I do however understand that bugs are peculiar. The way you play may trigger some bugs more consistently than the way I play or the way the QA team at EA plays the game. But that also there are bugs that I'll encounter more often than you. If the bug even registers to the player as a bug.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @Seera1024, one knows their game is tied to Origin if you click on your shortcut and have to log in to Origin to play. Before they decided to tie the game to Origin no one had to log in to Origin to play. Some may never log out of Origin when they are done playing, it will stay in the taskbar tray (probably hidden, running in the background).

What I mentioned are all bugs that were patched years ago but some came back through the comp packs from the EA store downloader and I always knew that. However, it's funny to me with as much cc I have (none newly added) and just applying my last save to the pc after installing Origin on a diff pc and downloading the newly patched TS2UC they appear. It's like bam here's you some bugs. Even in newly created hoods and households. The only difference here is a diff pc, and having to log in to the 'patched' TS2UC.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Seera1024, one knows their game is tied to Origin if you click on your shortcut and have to log in to Origin to play. Before they decided to tie the game to Origin no one had to log in to Origin to play. Some may never log out of Origin when they are done playing, it will stay in the taskbar tray (probably hidden, running in the background).

What I mentioned are all bugs that were patched years ago but some came back through the comp packs from the EA store downloader and I always knew that. However, it's funny to me with as much cc I have (none newly added) and just applying my last save to the pc after installing Origin on a diff pc and downloading the newly patched TS2UC they appear. It's like bam here's you some bugs. Even in newly created hoods and households. The only difference here is a diff pc, and having to log in to the 'patched' TS2UC.

I play my Sims 3 and Sims 4 through Origin so I don't close or log out of Origin. If it was an actual patch, I have it as Origin forces you to download patches unless you go offline first and I don't have to do that for Sims 2. I did sign out just see and I do have to be logged into Origin for it to launch. I even deleted groups.cache to make sure I didn't have a coincidental groups.cache corruption.

I'm not saying that the bugs you've had aren't present in your game. Just that they aren't in mine. But that's the annoying nature of bugs.

Oh how I wish EA would have done a final few patches for each of their series before leaving them for the next.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    Sometimes it is really strange. I've made a discussion in 2017 discussing what was different in UC and in disc version, only to hear that other people don't have the problems while others do.
    I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game at one point, only to see those presist (no 5-hour warning at college, no 24-hour clock).
    This is the discussion:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/932548/is-it-me-or-are-some-features-really-different-in-uc/p1

Seeing these problems happen to some people and not to other people at all really makes me joke that "Every copy of The Sims 2 UC is personalized". Perhaps it depens on computer specs, as the game will allow less sims to be on a lot and in a group on weaker computers.
  • PhoenixArrandePhoenixArrande Posts: 106 Member
    I have been having some of the issues too. Definitely with the plates and the food stealing. I thought it was something that hasn't been fixed yet. I forgot that we didn't have to login to Origin at first! This isn't fair. Is there a way to ask them if they can set it back??? Will they even listen to us??? I'm so upset from learning all this! :'(
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Sometimes it is really strange. I've made a discussion in 2017 discussing what was different in UC and in disc version, only to hear that other people don't have the problems while others do.
    I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game at one point, only to see those presist (no 5-hour warning at college, no 24-hour clock).
    This is the discussion:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/932548/is-it-me-or-are-some-features-really-different-in-uc/p1

Seeing these problems happen to some people and not to other people at all really makes me joke that "Every copy of The Sims 2 UC is personalized". Perhaps it depens on computer specs, as the game will allow less sims to be on a lot and in a group on weaker computers.

It is true about pc specs determining how many Sims can show up at a home and invited to a party and or show up in a community lot. However, I doubt that is as much a problem today as it was when the game was current. Everyone has a better chip or video card and faster processors than they did sixteen years ago. Though I admit it's hard for the game to see those super cards (because that is what they would be compared to old cards) even with Graphics Rule Maker if the card isn't in her list of video cards. It would still fall back on one in her list that may be less than the player actually has. I hope they continue to update the video card list (mine isn't on it's too new or oversight).

But it was common knowledge back in the day the EA Downloader comp packs (store packs) brought more bugs than the disc individual versions. It seems this time because I had to download TS2UC and keep Origin this time because I have to log into Origin now, that I got about half those bugs that were known to be in the comp packs. This is the same save as I had on my other pc with the free TS2UC but no tie in to Origin.

Maybe when they did the update and that is all you can get if you have to reinstall and or put it on a different pc that version is more buggy than the one I got in 2014.