Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A solution to the Open World Vs Closed Debate

Ok its not a great idea but its an idea. As I'm sure most of you guys are aware of the big debate of open world vs non-open world for sims 5. Well I think I came to a solution. What if we got two different versions of the same game. One with open world like the sims 3 and the other closed like sims 4. Every time I read a thread or post almost everyone had the same reason for not wanting an open world which is because of lag. Not everyone has powerful computer or can afford to upgrade to play the sims which I understand to a certain extent.
A good number of us players would love to have open world again but to get that we may possibly need a computer that can handle it and I'm sure most of us is willing to get. I feel like this could potentially be a good compromise for the divided community. Those who can handle it will have it and those who don't can simply buy the other version of the same product.

This is just a random idea/solution that I came up with and I'm curious to hear other opinions on it. I also like the idea of open neighborhoods/or districts. Basically anything that doesn't require a loading screen to enter the lot right next to my sim.

Comments

• Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    That would be impractical from a software development perspective. There's a reason why we don't have Sims 4 and Sims 5 simultaneous releases. Asking for two different "versions" of software with completely different requirements, functional design specs, and architectural design specs is simply asking for two different games to be delivered by one team on one budget which to date has struggled to satisfy the entire base with one game. This solution would be unfair to the devs, and frankly it's unrealistic. Imagine if someone came to your job and said, I think you should do double the amount of work that you do because I like what you do X way and my friend likes your work Y way... how would you respond to their idea/solution?

I think Sims 4 was the best compromise to 2/3 and I think the Sims dev team has successfully iterated on creating a better game world for Sims 2 and Sims 3 players who can't agree.

As far as my opinion goes on the open/closed world solution for TS5 if we have to pick one... while I'm keen on an open world and on pushing my hardware to the max and upgrading if necessary, I'm also fine with loading screens--especially if they eliminate rabbit holes. I also prefer the focus of the game to be on Sims development (better psychology and behaviour logic, more detailed object interactions, animations, quirks, and design) rather than a pretty world and ghastly uncanny valley sims whose emotions are now constrained to little blocks of mood icons on my screen, or in the case of TS4 sims that go poof with annoying moodlets. If there needs to be a compromise, I'm more for closed worlds. If it's just a matter of blowing up hardware, then I'm pro-open world.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited January 2021
    I don't think game will be taxing on a performance solely because they have open world, its just a matter of optimization on the game and , Sims 3 was their first time developing open world for Sims game so I can give them some slack but then again most of the lag were caused by the routing issue, there are very big open world games like Fallout 4, Assasin Creed Valhalla, Assassin Creed Odyssey, Cyberpunk 2077, GTA 5 and Read Dead Redemption 2 and these games perform better than The Sims 3 on my rig
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    teamjenteamjen Posts: 50 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    I don't think game will be taxing on a performance solely because they have open world, its just a matter of optimization on the game and , Sims 3 was their first time developing open world for Sims game so I can give them some slack but then again most of the lag were caused by the routing issue, there are very big open world games like Fallout 4, Assasin Creed Valhalla, Assassin Creed Odyssey, Cyberpunk 2077, GTA 5 and Read Dead Redemption 2 and these games perform better than The Sims 3 on my rig

I know its possible and can be done but they're so many players that are just scared of open world for what it may or may not do. I was actually playing gta earlier on a friends computer and I kept thinking if rockstar can do it why can't ea.
  • Options
    teamjenteamjen Posts: 50 Member
    That would be impractical from a software development perspective. There's a reason why we don't have Sims 4 and Sims 5 simultaneous releases. Asking for two different "versions" of software with completely different requirements, functional design specs, and architectural design specs is simply asking for two different games to be delivered by one team on one budget which to date has struggled to satisfy the entire base with one game. This solution would be unfair to the devs, and frankly it's unrealistic. Imagine if someone came to your job and said, I think you should do double the amount of work that you do because I like what you do X way and my friend likes your work Y way... how would you respond to their idea/solution?

I think Sims 4 was the best compromise to 2/3 and I think the Sims dev team has successfully iterated on creating a better game world for Sims 2 and Sims 3 players who can't agree.

As far as my opinion goes on the open/closed world solution for TS5 if we have to pick one... while I'm keen on an open world and on pushing my hardware to the max and upgrading if necessary, I'm also fine with loading screens--especially if they eliminate rabbit holes. I also prefer the focus of the game to be on Sims development (better psychology and behaviour logic, more detailed object interactions, animations, quirks, and design) rather than a pretty world and ghastly uncanny valley sims whose emotions are now constrained to little blocks of mood icons on my screen, or in the case of TS4 sims that go poof with annoying moodlets. If there needs to be a compromise, I'm more for closed worlds. If it's just a matter of blowing up hardware, then I'm pro-open world.

I do think its crazy for them to release two different versions of the game but its still possible. I only came up with this idea because of another thread. A part of me just foolishly believe that we can all get what we want out of the game. I don't think sims 4 is the best compromise between 2 and 3 at all but it is one. I think everyone at this point is pro sims development and i think its totally possible to have that and open world.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited January 2021
    I would prefer open worlds for sure, but 2 totally different versions of the same game is never going to happen. I am even okay with just open neighborhoods if they are truly open .... as in, any area, lot, etc in the neighborhood my sims lives in is open and only having a loading screen when going to a different world.

I also want larger worlds with many many lots instead of the pidly little number of lots we are given. I don't want set dressing and fake houses either. That should be optional for players depending on how taxing it is on their own system if they can handle having each lot filled with buildings. There is tremendous wasted space in every TS4 world, which is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I also want the ability to change anything in my world, no more locking "the world" around my lot. If I want my world totally devoid of trees and flowers, then I should have the ability to remove them. If I want that park to have playground equipment that came out in other packs, then I should have the ability to add that to that lot.

I'm done with the restrictions from the devs!
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited January 2021
    It should be possible to make the sims5 open world without it being too demanding. The sims3 is old now and from what I understand, did have routing issues and other things that caused lag.

The sims4 is too extreme, it removes the entire world every time you travel, it doesn't keep any assets at all. It removes everything and loads it again.

• Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I think the best middle ground between "you need a supercomputer to run it" vs. "this world is waaaaay too restrictive and feels too small and oh by the way has loading screens out the wazoo that disincentivize exploration" is to have something like Sims 4's "neighborhoods" system, but make the neighborhoods truly open in Sims 3 style—no loading screen transition if you want to visit a restaurant or a neighbor or go to the gym or whatever.

At the same time, however, my favorite part of Sims 4 is that Sims 2-esque self-contained story element. If you turn off story progression and non-played-sims aging, you can keep multiple narratives going and bounce pretty seamlessly between them on different playthroughs, creating huge long-running save files across multiple years of play.

Speaking of story progression, it'd be neat if, unlike in Sims 4 as currently constituted, you could find another middle ground between "NPCs are static unless you explicitly make them dynamic" and "your sim can better affect the NPCs in the world by having 'story progression on active lot' or something similarly named turned on."

That is to say, if you go to the gym and mentor an NPC sim in fitness, the NPC picks up Fitness skill. Or if NPCs in the background talk and get friendly while you're working out, they'll maintain those friendships should you decide to play as them later, but only when the player can outright see what's going on.

There are so many things EA could do really well in Sims 5 if they get the blend just right.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited January 2021
    I just find concerning that people think lag is fault of a feature. Open world doesn't cause lag. Bad coding and poor optimized game engine causes lag!
    There's tones of open world games that work fine. It's embarrassing seeing indie games doing such things and a company like EA failing on that! We have to stop putting The Sims franchise bar so low because of the Sims 4 reality and The Sims 3 problems.
    If something was wrong I naturally expected improvement and fixes, not going two steps down and that's what happened with The Sims 4. For me that's more like avoiding the problem. If there'+s no intention for improvement there's no need of The Sims 5 when we already have The Sims 1, 2 and 4.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Open neighbourhoods would be the ultimate middle ground.
    But they'd need to be slightly larger than they are now, maybe with 8-12 lots.
    It's not the whole world, but it's enough to have one sim pop next door while the kids are off at the play ground, and another of your household is at the cafe down the street. You could switch back and forth between your sims, while they're within your own neighbourhood, without any loading screens.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    The Sims 1 and 2 both didn't have open worlds. But, The Sims 2 did have the ability to see other lots in the neighborhood, and this feature came with an EP. The base game of The Sims 2 could not do this.
    The Sims 3 had an open world, but the open world and the routing errors were prone to lag, which made the game unplayable for low-end computer users.
    The Sims 4 has a semi-open world. You can explore the little world and bring stuff home, maybe discover a secret lot. So, it is a little more expansive than The Sims 2 in that regard.
  • Options
    mtvsimsmtvsims Posts: 51 Member
    I think that a slightly more open world (I wish I could credit the idea, I was lurking on forums and found someone who posted this... maybe on Reddit) with "blocks" of houses/buildings that don't need a loading screen to access, kinda like the University Quad in 4, would be a great compromise.

Also less rabbit holes for sure.
    Catch the latest episode of The Challenge by MTVSims here.

1ae67d358eb80994760c45b5c89f34c72d340369.png

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I just want to keep the travel from world to world like Sims 4 has.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    If a given world was more comprehensive we wouldn't need to. Doesn't make sense to need to go to Europe (Windenburg) to visit a community lot my sim's residence world doesn't have. Next town over, maybe, but not across 'the pond'. Related to this is how most of the sims you encounter on the street are not from the town your sim lives in. Worse is going to the SE world for vacation and finding that the 'usual suspects' are more abundant than the locals.