Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To everyone complaining about the cuteness...

Comments

• KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 439 Member
    edited January 2021
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Just a question. How come Sims 4 caters to age 5 to 8?

I guess I'm a 7 year old?
    Nope, I'm 37 with a PhD. Married with a kid.

How come 95% of video games are dark, violent, and have terribly dull palettes? If you don't like perky and happy there are tons of first person shooter, horror rpg, and crime, war, gore themed games.

I love video games AND bright colorful, wonderful happy things. But doesn't leave me with much aside from Mario, Animal Crossing and Sims.
  • Franko30Franko30 Posts: 64 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    That's only a few Ghosts. We don't know what else there will be.
    This is Sims 4 are you expecting more?

:D:D:D you made my day!!
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

How come 95% of video games are dark, violent, and have terribly dull palettes? If you don't like perky and happy there are tons of first person shooter, horror rpg, and crime, war, gore themed games.

I love video games AND bright colorful, wonderful happy things. But doesn't leave me with much aside from Mario, Animal Crossing and Sims.

I don't know why people always equate "adult" or "mature" with violence and super dark themes. I feel like it gives adults a bad name 😅😅I hate those violent things. I can't speak for anyone else but my idea of adult is just not being so silly, smiling like jokers 24/7, talking to toilets, falling out with their backside sticking in the air after a vampire bite🙄(totally kills the mood) having a pack based on mildly scary themes that gives a bit of fright for those of us who like it. With a dark swampy world and the kraken swimming around, ghosts that don't invite you to birthday parties for a late night chat, no woohoo fist pump, no silly flirty movements from your hot date but more of a charming gentleman,
    A fear emotion, enemies that actually don't wash your dishes,burgerlers, cops, consequences,jail time etc. Everything can still be fun and sims like without gore, violence or any of those things. Yet mature without passing the teen rating.

Of course everyone is different. Nothing wrong if you love the way it is now 😁
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Franko30Franko30 Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2021
    Another Stuff pack vote was for Fun-Tech, which included the option to vote for a Voidcritter locator (which I assume is now part of the Snowy Escape kiddies festival?) and a Portable Hologram Best Friend. This is exactly what comes to mind when I see the little green blobsies. Cute Holographic Voidcritter things that need to be located. By a paranormal investigator.They're probably portable too.

What doesn't come to mind is the Happy Haunts I voted for. This looks like Cutesy 'Haunts'. I'm not sure how much more cute I can take in The Sims 4, but I can probably deal with it...

You never know, may be theyll turn red and spit fire or acid to kill your sims if you do the wrong thing... meaning, doing one single option in three different steps, to make sure it was your decision and imply that you understand that it may kill you sims, but still having a little bubble telling you you are about to do something really stupid, and that there is still a chance 90% that your sims will survive! 😂😂😂😂 sims 4 logic, to be make yourself (player) a misery for wanting killing your sims.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I noticed that in my Civilization IV, Beyond Civilization, Age of Empires & Sims Medieval never had to make their games too cute for it to be nice games.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    At this moment I want packs to cheer me up. I dark stuff can come after we've beaten any virus's around. I'm ok with that.

I still want my cemeteries or graveyards and mausoleums or Grimmie's house to go to, to mourn or be frightened by when I'm in the mood though. It is part of real life and should be in this game.
  • Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    I'm just afraid they're using these cute ghosts as a way not to update the base game ghosts... They seriously need a revamp.

It's also a pity it's just a stuff pack. I guess that means new more in-depth features such as cemeteries won't be included.
  • Bookworm2009189Bookworm2009189 Posts: 44 Member
    Well I know for a fact they dont want to add anything super scary to the sims4 game. Like what if a kid was watching their big brother or sister play and all off the sudden a ghost pops out of the grave and starts attacking the sim because they are upset or whatever. That would be very well, intense.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    My opinion is that we have just a snippet of information at this time. Additionally, it may be very likely that there will be options to make the pack scarier. Realistically, creating those options is the best way to handle the multiple different types of players in the game.

They've been releasing darker, more industrial options in worlds and themes. For example, if you do nothing to it, Evergreen Harbor is pretty ugly even as a neutral world. I know that the industrial settings aren't working very properly, but just because someone else can clean up the world to look how they want it do, does not mean that there is no option to play in a greyer world. More recently, we got a world in which you can live in total winter all the time in one neighborhood.

Likewise, when we know more about this pack, we may learn more about how it can be scarier for those wanting that.

I will say that while I understand that some players want darker aesthetics, I think the game should offer different options. That may also mean a more child-friendly mode and a more adult one. (I'd play the adult one). Personally, I've had to redecorate a lot of black and purple mock goth stuff from the game because there are multiple houses, rooms, pre-mades and themes that are more gothic like that. I wouldn't complain but yes, gothic, creepy stuff is regularly a part of the game. There are neighborhood brawls and now festering grudges. These are all things that aren't important to me but I recognize that they are there for other players. Sure, I might find that a festering grudge livens up my game.

Anyway, I hope that this is a great pack for supernatural players and that many are surprised. I'm not sure that Sims 5 should actually be one general upgrade but maybe should have a supernatural spin-off. For myself, I need more info on this new pack. I do not play all happiness and sunshine, but no, I don't want to play a depressing game either.

I agree with the comment above that there are many violent and grim computer games out there ... that I don't play. The Sims does try to have a light and funny side. Sometimes I think it's silly and sometimes I like that. Yes, I understand that there's a large audience wanting scarier features and I hope they get that. If it's done in a way in which I'll still be interested, I'll consider it. If not, no, of course not.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited January 2021
    {DELETED}
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited January 2021
    Well I know for a fact they dont want to add anything super scary to the sims4 game. Like what if a kid was watching their big brother or sister play and all off the sudden a ghost pops out of the grave and starts attacking the sim because they are upset or whatever. That would be very well, intense.

oh please drowning sims in pools and burning down their houses was me and my sisters great sister bonding time back in the good old ts1 days id just probably be excited like waa spoopy ghost do it again :lol:

like yo we are not asking to make it shooter horror game just something of level ts1 where things were less of toddlers tv show
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    For those of you expecting anything less than goofy/cute content.. why? What about this iteration in the series would lead you to believe that will happen? Sims 4 seems to cater to children and preteens now.
  • PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member

I don't know why people always equate "adult" or "mature" with violence and super dark themes. I feel like it gives adults a bad name 😅😅I hate those violent things. I can't speak for anyone else but my idea of adult is just not being so silly, smiling like jokers 24/7, talking to toilets, falling out with their backside sticking in the air after a vampire bite🙄(totally kills the mood) having a pack based on mildly scary themes that gives a bit of fright for those of us who like it. With a dark swampy world and the kraken swimming around, ghosts that don't invite you to birthday parties for a late night chat, no woohoo fist pump, no silly flirty movements from your hot date but more of a charming gentleman,
    A fear emotion, enemies that actually don't wash your dishes,burgerlers, cops, consequences,jail time etc. Everything can still be fun and sims like without gore, violence or any of those things. Yet mature without passing the teen rating.

Of course everyone is different. Nothing wrong if you love the way it is now 😁

I agree so much with both of you, thank you for saying that. Honestly, in my personal experience the ones who are most eager for so-called adult themes tend to actually be kids and teens. Kind games for adults (meaning they have gameplay complex enough to capture not only kids attention for a long time) are so rare, but there are people who insist on taking even them away.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    I'm honestly not asking for gore lol Just something in the vein of Grimmy is all.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Potsae wrote: »
    Honestly, in my personal experience the ones who are most eager for so-called adult themes tend to actually be kids and teens. Kind games for adults (meaning they have gameplay complex enough to capture not only kids attention for a long time) are so rare, but there are people who insist on taking even them away.

Yep. When I was a kid, I would have clamored for dark, scary, violent, sexy, adult themes. Now I just want my Sims to be happy and entertaining. TS4 is the only game I play regularly, because I have no interest in the themes of most modern video games. If I wanted “adult” games, I would have plenty of options.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I'm not asking for content to be rated M for Mature. I'd just prefer less of the E for Everyone. When thinking of a ghost hunting career I think of the ghosts already in game and hunting them Ghost Busters style. I think that's reasonable.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    TS3 has a ghost hunter career, for those that are interested.

I am not really interested in occult play (I would not say no to werewolves); but I deliberately chose the sims for not being violent. I am not at all interested in violent and scary games, and there is not a lot of options if those are excluded. This pack does not seem very interesting to me, but I don't mind cute things, and prefer any feature to be so.

I hope though that there will come something of Paralives, either that the game is being produced, or that others will follow. I would like a more mature game than the sims series.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I definitely want a more mature game, in aesthetics and actions. Not "Mature" rating with graphic adult stuff nor gore, but it being an actual "Teen" rating instead of them focusing on the 7-8 year olds. The other games were the same rating so why TS4 plays it so safe is beyond me. I will very much be interested in Paralives when/if it comes out just because I think it will be an actual "T" rating game.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    I personally believe that the types of ghosts and spirits that feature in TS3’s Ghost Hunting career offer the right balance between mild and a little edgy, without being childish or too scary.

I find that the sound design and special effects such as fog and the haunted house thunder clouds do a lot for setting the right mood. It’s quite eerie because of these elements. That level of spookiness is all TS4 needs. I find that Strangerville does this really well with the environmental effects and sounds.

Friendly spirits can look cute, sure, like our little green blobby friends. Mischievous ghost should look less cute. Evil or angry spirits need more of an edge to them without being unsuitable for younger players. Each of them could have their own special FX and sound FX to enhance the light or dark mood surrounding the spirit. In my opinion it’s those subtle additions or differences that will do much more than unnecessary, gory aesthetics or freaky looking things.

Obviously this is just a thought based on what it might and could be, as I don’t know yet what’s actually included in the pack...
  • AbbyBaba729AbbyBaba729 Posts: 135 Member
    I personally love how the stuff pack looks, but I do wish the game was a bit more serious.
    Base Game Sympathizer. Please push for more BG updates! Not everyone can afford packs!
    Proud Giyu Tomioka simp. :)
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited January 2021
    I don't think i actually mind the cute blobs now cause at least they make scary faces at u first pic just looked way too...positive and happy

and i feel cursed objects will help
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The Green, cute ones I expect are Happy Ghosts who are probably nice, and why wouldn't they be cute? While there are Red, Angry Ghosts and Blue Sad Ghosts, I'm guessing, so they won't be so cute and happy. So you will get spooky, and you will get adorable.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    After seeing the trailer, and all the pretty BB objects, and knowing there will be a new lot assignment (trait?), I will buy this pack.

I like the all over cuteness of the game, and I don’t want to say negative things about it, because I do not at all want to add to the majority of posts made here and on AHQ; where criticizing a child's game one has only to take a decision not to buy, is all too common.

When I say that I want a mature game, it is also not 'rating' I am thinking of; since my country does not really have anything equivalent of the US rating of cultural products' 'appropriateness' for younger people. I cannot relate to the US christian necessity of hiding sexual themes to those in an age of being more interested in it than me and my generation, but so called adult themes is not the focus; neither do I mean darker themes of fright and aggression.

I don’t think TS4 is a mature game nor that it ever will be, which I accept. So I cannot really speak of mature themes in relation to it, without seeming to be criticising it.

But playing with doll houses does not mean that certain themes need to be avoided, or simplified or ridiculed; and I think when a mature life simulation game exists, that will be one criteria of it.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited January 2021
    I like the cute spoopy look the ghosts have in Paranormal Stuff. I love it when Halloween stuff is made cute. I'm not a fan of scary things, but I love occult weirdness. And "kawaii culture" has been popular among teens & adults for a long time now, so I don't think EA taking this approach is targeting the wrong audience. It's also consistent with the artstyle they've developed for voidcritters, RoM familiars, SE Kodama, etc. spirits in the game. Keeping a consistent artstyle in a game is a good thing. If you don't like a cartoony artstyle, I don't know why you bought Sims 4 in the first place. That's literally all it is.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited January 2021

I was thinking this when some one said of farm animals in a farming pack......”we can’t kill the animals and use them for food, that is too cruel”. It made me laugh because they do that in Minecraft, and you have young kids playing that game. Besides the fact we eat meat ( that was killed to eat, ). Well at least many of us eat meat. There is already tons of death in the sims 4, but you can’t have an animal become meat to eat? What nonsense!