Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Somebody Else’s Sim

I was playing a legacy challenge in a custom world and I had my founder ask his girlfriend to move in. She agreed, but when I moved her in, I saw that she already had two elder cats, was at level four of the daycare career, had various skills (they weren’t cheated; I could tell because the bar was in the middle), had written a few books, and even had various memories from before the game started!

That’s when I realized: The creator of the world probably added already-played sims; either from their own saves or user-submitted. My founder’s girlfriend is somebody else’s sim!!! I feel really awful now, like I stole the sim.

To make matters worse (and awkward), I have no idea who originally created her, but it’s so weird to think that a sim whom someone else was once attached to is now living out a life of her own in my game, and her original creator has no knowledge of it.

Have you ever done this before? Am I right to feel this way?

Comments

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    @Simtown15 - y'know...there's three words for that: "That's life". You know...if someone put their own sims in a world that they created, they probably meant for others to play with them. It's the same as playing with EA created sims. Someone created the sims that we think came with the game. Do they feel like we should play their story the way they thought it should be?

To take a tidbit from real life. What about our significant others? What about their lives before they met us? It's not like their life was a blank slate before they met us, right? Should we not date them because of it? Frankly, my wife's ex-boyfriend...lost her to me, because he wasn't willing to be that guy for her. I was...and I won out. C'est la vie... There are winners and there are losers. He lost, I won.

As far as the sim is concerned, if they didn't want others to develop their own stories around that particular sim, then they wouldn't have volunteered to give the sim to world developer or tossed them in as a world sim.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,274 Member
    I agree with @Nikkei_Simmer "That's life". It makes the game even more interesting and more "alive". It's not different from downloading sims that people have uploaded for sharing. Some people have my selfsim in their games.

Many populated CC worlds have sims the creators have played for a while, but sometimes they have used mods to give them skills and certain career levels, and things like that, so when you start playing in it it will be populated with sims that have a history. :)

cUrfGkA.gif
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited January 2021
    Why is it not right? there is an exchange features and people actually post their created sims over there which means they allowing their created sims to be played by others. as for me I dont usually upload my sims as I want my sims(especially the in-game born) to be only unique to me, but often I played a premade one and sometime I find it odd that they are being played by other players as well. my favorite premade are Benjamin Schmidt, Felipe Marshall and Gracie Loveland and they are actually quite popular premades when i browsed sims subreddit and blogs
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,745 Member
    I understand how you feel because I love crediting what other people did. Not knowing who's the simmer behind a sim can be lame.

However, I agree with most comments. The beauty in The Sims franchise is that we are willing to share our creations for others to play. If I were to creator of your sim's girlfriend, I'd be thrilled to see how she's doing in your game.

I myself intend to share a couple once they finish their life in my game. Like, give them young again potions and pack them to be shared with a few tokens. I'd love to see the different children and lives they could have.

So, don't feel guilty. I bet the person who created that sim will enjoy seeing you play with her.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    I don't understand what the problem is? They pre-populated the world, so you could have a variety of sims to meet and befriend.
    Its no different than people uploading their sims to the exchange.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Hi :mrgreen:
    You feel how you feel. :)
    I like the idea of my Sims out there in the real World being played and playing with other Sims. It's like sharing your ideas... they take a life of their own. :)
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I guess there are two main problems.

1. I feel like I didn’t get the player’s consent. I guess they were consenting by adding the sim to the world, but I myself would feel very uncomfortable if someone played one of my sims, especially one that I had become attached to. (They must have been attached to her because she was almost an adult at the start of the game and her memories indicate that she was created as a young adult.)
    2. I’m planning to eventually do a current household video on my YouTube channel and idk if it would be allowed to upload it if she’s in it. I can’t credit the creator other than saying, “She wasn’t made by me.” But there are millions of other simmers that could have been her creator.

Idk; maybe I’m overthinking it. At least they had a cute story with how they first met.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    For those curious: I had my sim, Marshall, ride his horse, Brownie, to the training grounds to train her for a competition later. (I’m doing a special legacy where your founder and heirs must only make money off of their horses and the horses must have a legacy too.) Only, he forgot to get dressed, and rode into the training grounds in his underwear!!! I saw the other sim, Abby, at the front of the lot, so I had him introduce himself and they were immediately attracted to each other! I later discovered that they were both friendly and family oriented, but she was neat while he was a slob.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    I have uploaded several worlds with Sims I created and with Sims other people have made for the World. I know they would be happy to see pictures of their Sims being shared. I know it makes me smile to see people playing in my worlds and having fun with them. :mrgreen::cookie:
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I have uploaded two sets of sims on my page, and I enjoy seeing other people play with them and have adventures with them that I didn't think of. As others have said, the sims in the world were put there for you to enjoy however you want to. :)
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,274 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I guess there are two main problems.

1. I feel like I didn’t get the player’s consent. I guess they were consenting by adding the sim to the world, but I myself would feel very uncomfortable if someone played one of my sims, especially one that I had become attached to. (They must have been attached to her because she was almost an adult at the start of the game and her memories indicate that she was created as a young adult.)
    2. I’m planning to eventually do a current household video on my YouTube channel and idk if it would be allowed to upload it if she’s in it. I can’t credit the creator other than saying, “She wasn’t made by me.” But there are millions of other simmers that could have been her creator.

Idk; maybe I’m overthinking it. At least they had a cute story with how they first met.

See it this way: You let her live her life, and she was attracted to the male sim you had. It's all good! :) And yeah, the person who made that sim was comfortable with you and other simmers playing with her, and actually wanted that since she was included in the world. :smile:

I have sims too that I'm very attached to and would never share with others, and that's fine.

Yes, you are allowed to share videos with that sim in it. I have never seen someone share sims and then say that you're not allowed to use them in screenshots or videos. And if they did maybe I wouldn't do it because of courtesy only, but it's not illegal in any way. And since this sim was included in that world, the creator obviously lets you play with her in any way you want.

When I share screenshots with other peoples' selfsims I usually mention it, often with the username the creator has here on EA. I don't have to, but it's courtesy, and it might be fun for the persons (or their friends) to see what's going on with their sims' lives in my game. :smile:

Yeah, I think you are overthinking it, but you seem to have lots of empathy and that's great! :smiley: I think you should let the sim live a good life and be happy about giving her that opportunity. You are giving her life instead of letting her slumber in an unused save. :smile::heart:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    In the end, it's not that different from using the Story Progression mod. I want all other sims in town to live their own lives and not remain blank background noise, which means I appreciate it when other sims actually have jobs, skills, relationships etc. of their own. I find it a bit disappointing when your kids grow up, fall in love, marry, and then you discover that those spouses know less than one of your toddlers.

So yes, I appreciate it when creators have some sims of their own in worlds. I think the only time where I got second thoughts was when I had a world where the creator left their simself as one of the households. I wasn't sure if I should let them know what happened to that one :lol: .
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    All Sims are EA's property. There is no legality issue here or even any reason to worry about it - you can play it, share it, etc. Many talented people create worlds for Sims that have Sims with back stories - they are meant to be played.