Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You a Builder or a Player?

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Player, I spend most time either in live mode or CAS. I like to give random townies makeovers.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited January 2021
    I renovate and/or redecorate (structures by either Maxis, other players, or myself) more than I build from the ground up, but all those things combined are probably about half-and-half with my actual play-time.
    Post edited by VeeDub on
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Both. I was mainly a player when I first got the game. Then while waiting for a patch, I decided to try building more and got hooked. Started playing again after getting Eco Lifestyle for Christmas. I started a new challenge for a sim to only live off food he finds, collectibles, and what he finds dumpster diving. I've built a little too with the pack.
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    I am a builder and a player, but I am sure that I build something the most of time because I am a veeeeery slow builder who trying to create matching and detailed no cc houses and apartments. Probably I would play more if we get more better swatches and I didn't try to match items soooo long.
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    This is my first Sims in The Sims series, but I came from the Sim City series and played them all up to Sim City 4 Deluxe. Due to that, I'm builder, and I've built something like...11 houses so far. When I'm done building, I go back to player mode lol.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I mostly only play live mode, it's the only part of the game that interests me. Occasionally I will edit builds that I've downloaded from the gallery and I do spend some time giving makeovers to sims that need it but generally I would say that 95% of my game play is in live mode.
  • Amz_LouiseAmz_Louise Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm a player. I try building but am rubbish at it so I just use the premade houses and redecorate or add anything I need.
  • smilepandasmilepanda Posts: 101 Member
    I actually do both. I find too much of either boring so I try and keep a nice balance.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I play more than I build but I'm a builder and renovator as well. I also do my own CAS all the time aside from any pre-mades who end up in my game. I also make over townies.

I do some downloading depending on the lot but I like it better when I build or renovate. I'll admit that among the lots I've downloaded, some are amazing. They are usually complicated such as a vampire Victorian, a castle, a large "million dollar" beach house in Sulani, an ice rink, several churches, a cafe with an elaborate garden, a Georgian library, etc. They were all really well thought out and clearly labors of love for those who designed them. I've customized them for my sims but I would never re-upload them.

I've occasionally pulled out lots that I downloaded that weren't playtested. Now, I've concluded that I really like when I build, so I do build on empty lots especially for "typical" family homes. I've built a couple of them that I really think are great, so I'll do that more with empty places. I've built a Sulani resort, a movie theater, a yoga retreat/yurt, a great gym and probably others.

I definitely renovate - adding floors or basements, redecorating, making a place fit the character or household better, etc.

Victorian houses still intimidate me a little bit so I'd probably still opt to download those if I want to add any.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I guess to put it simply I build to play

I find it more fun to play when my sims houses and places they visit are easily useable,fit my storyline,look cool and have all the fun objects I wanted

sometimes i end up building more than I play cause it takes time but it is all in preparation of when i get to playing

@Simmingal I agree, most things I build are made to be useful for my sims or for them to live in. I’ve never just been a builder for the sake of building (with the exception of tiny homes. sometimes I just build random tiny homes for the fun of it) My playing and building are usually very interconnected though. I feel like I don’t have time for both though. The sims is already way too addicting so I try to limit myself lol
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    I play to build and build to play.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited January 2021
    Both. I used to download new houses to use until I got more into building my own. I find that I get alot more enjoyment when I use my lots for my sims. Nowadays I rarely download lots unless Im just looking for some inspiration for a new project.
    Post edited by InuMiroLover on
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Mostly a player. I'm not great at building, but I love decorating. I'll download houses, delete everything in it, and redo it to my own liking. Otherwise, it's all playing, with some CAS moments.
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    Both, I wouldn't play the sims as much as I do if I couldn't build. And I wouldn't build in this game if I couldn't play in my builds.
  • amberlunezamberlunez Posts: 52 Member
    Both, but I am not a good builder, so I mostly play
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    Why not both? o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I build sometimes from scratch if I find an interesting RL house I want in my game, or I just download and renovate houses to fit the sim who will live there. I only build/renovate for myself to play in, I don't share my builds.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    I'm a player. I'm not good at building, so when I do build something, it's for an underlying setting (like a club)
  • DivawangDivawang Posts: 9 New Member
    I like to do both but I’m not that great of a build. Normally all of my houses that I build myself all the same on the outside but would totally look different on the inside. As for as the the playing goes I’m all into it. I love creating families and coming with a storyline.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    edited January 2021
    I spend most of my time in CAS making my own sims and then editing the randomly generated townies... as you can imagine, it's difficult to keep up with. ^^;
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited January 2021
    I've built a lot of houses and families and am now working on a new Save, putting them all in the game after deleting most of the Maxis families and not in games Sims before Seasons, so it'll be a little while until I get to play with them. I expect I'll be playing mostly from then on.

This, of course, depends on what comes with the new pack being announced on the 12th January! Might have to get back to building again! :D
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    A player, I'm terrible at building. I can decorate okay, but seem to draw more inspiration when I have an active household present.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I'm a player, I have no patience to build. That being said though, I do sometimes make some minor adjustments now and then, like expanding some rooms, knock down a wall (like I had to do with my current Sim's home. With the "brilliant" design, there was a wall between the toilet and the bathtub, and the sink was on the bathtub side, making the way to the kitchen sink shorter. xD Had to fix that. ), that sort of thing.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited January 2021
    Both, I wouldn't want to share a home that has not been play-tested with sims.
    And I would want to be a very deep player, so my homes are well thought out.

Even when I do, I still find issues with homes, but there should be a lot less than if I have never play-tested it.

However, I don't build as much in TS4 though.
    When the Sims 4 gallery first started EA gave hand picked simmers first strike at providing homes
    while the rest of us were getting familiar with the new build mode. My gallery never really took off like it did in TS3 and I didn't feel like my homes were really needed. Plus I was bad at promoting and hash tagging them anyway.

I focused more on playing and I don't really think about uploading until someone asks for something I created.
    I just build for myself.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    The EA built homes are so awful that a lot of my time is spent downloading better ones from the gallery.