Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What does Parenthood actually change?

2...Next

Comments

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    It adds 'make a mess' to every single lot that a brat shows up to. Your houses will be covered with it. Don't even think of running a business unless you use a mod to turn 'make a mess' autonomy off. Along with the constant phone spam when they are at school and the brats asking for advice at the most inconvenient times, this is one annoying pack.

On the plus side, kids that get the responsible trait don't have to do the grown up job daily chore and choose to 'work hard' by themselves.
    Diaries are nice additions I have my sims use quite a bit
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I am totally thrilled with this pack, even though I'm certain I haven't really tapped into it, in full. What I enjoy is the possibility to actually have a hand in how the born-in-game Sim will turn out when grown. There are Values you can help the wee ones learn: Manners; Responsibility; Conflict Resolution; Empathy and Emotional Control. All the while your parental Sims can work on their parenting skill. There are, of course, negative traits for each of those values if the Sim fails to grasp the virtues. Along the way the offspring will ask advice on things, which allows you to select how the parent will respond, which can end up raising one value, but always lowers another value. I just find this a more interactive way for the player to be involved.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    Handel wrote: »
    I...like the question thing? Sometimes I min-max for the best character value, sometimes I answer based on what I think the parent feels like to me. -shrug-

Me too :| It does annoy me a little when I get the same popup consecutively, but to be honest that has happened to me more often with careers than with teenagers.

I do think character value traits are more impactful than base traits. I often cheat them into my CAS-made adults.

The main issues was it left us feeling like there were many missed opportunities, but what it does have for sure makes my sims feel more rounded.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    As a family player, parenthood despite its severely restricted scope , is a must. I would have much preferred Generation pack. The focus of parenthood is really on developing the characters of toddlers kids and teens. I have to admit I don’t really like parenthood but I got it just to expand family gameplay.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    To be honest, I play the same after Parenthood as I did before. Toddler-teen are all aged up as soon as my goals for them are met. I don't care about the character values, and will not make any effort to raise them. Manners and Responsibility will nevertheless always be maxed out without me doing a dang thing anyway. I don't find they add anything significant to my gameplay, that I care about.

Its probably my least used pack, even though I'm constantly playing with toddlers/kids/teens.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    If you randomise traits, Parenthood throws a curveball at you.

If you want an evil sim, make sure evil is their first trait so they have their entire youth to grind down those values. If evil is their final trait, it's too late as they've aged up no doubt with all positive traits.

Also, the meters are frustratingly hard until you learn how to juggle them. The advice chance cards are key. Just be careful that, as you are about to age your sim up, they don't ask for advice and lose one of the trait values.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I really like this pack.

Its added the character values which are something that could influence how the Sims behave in their later life.

For example, I have a responsible Sims where it helps a lot when they started working. I don't need to work on their daily task because it's automatically full, and the same goes when they have homework. So, I can either work on the other tasks to get promoted or just enjoying the day without having to worry about the daily task.

Another example is a good manner where you'll have an additional greeting. It can ensure that your Sims will have a positive relationship when they just meet someone new.

For my play style, I enjoy having them to mix with positive & negative character values. It makes my Sims more unique.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I love it and hate it all at the same time. I enjoy having the character values for my sim kids and teens. I do not however enjoy being annoyed with the same few random questions over and over again every single sim day by every single kid and teen that I play in my game. If I had an option to turn it off I would straight away and never turn it back on. I wish they would tone it down to just once or twice a week. It’s really obnoxious and spammy.

If you don't mind mods, SCAM autonomy control will let you shut off the "advice". I've had it for so long, I forgot those questions existed. I also modded out mess-making, and some of the other annoying interactions.

Parenthood is really just a glorified stuff pack to me. I love the CAS & Build/Buy objects, and use the house it came with quite a but, but the only interaction I really enjoy are the school projects.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    ldmarko wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I love it and hate it all at the same time. I enjoy having the character values for my sim kids and teens. I do not however enjoy being annoyed with the same few random questions over and over again every single sim day by every single kid and teen that I play in my game. If I had an option to turn it off I would straight away and never turn it back on. I wish they would tone it down to just once or twice a week. It’s really obnoxious and spammy.

If you don't mind mods, SCAM autonomy control will let you shut off the "advice". I've had it for so long, I forgot those questions existed. I also modded out mess-making, and some of the other annoying interactions.

Parenthood is really just a glorified stuff pack to me. I love the CAS & Build/Buy objects, and use the house it came with quite a but, but the only interaction I really enjoy are the school projects.

It came with a house? Is that on the Maxis Gallery account?

I also use the autonomy part of MCCC, which was made in collaboration with Scumbombo, I believe, to be a part of the MCCC tuner module. It gets heavy use in my game :D
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    Parenthood gives you access to a lot of new traits that help round off a personality. They're reward traits for how you raise a child and they do require some work to get them. It 100% improves the process of raising a child/teen because it has a system built to score whether they have good/bad manners, Empathy, Responsibility, etc. I've noticed the traits from Parenthood are a bit stronger than the base game traits. An Insensitive, argumentative, mean sim will be hell on earth at social interactions. Good Manners will grant you a polite introduction that can start you off as friends with any sim you meet. It's a pretty beefy pack for adding on to gameplay. I try to play most of the pre-built sim teens to get them a fitting a set of childhood traits.

So I like to play Cassandra as the rebel and she usually grows to young adult gaining the Uncontrolled Emotions trait. Sometimes Insensitive too. I add Hot Headed to her main traits. Uncontrolled Emotions means she holds onto excessive feelings longer so she's got presence in most situations. IF she gets tense she tends to get sad or angry in response to it and then she spirals. Sofia Bjergsen tends to end up with Good Manners on top of her regular traits so she's pretty pleasant as an adult.