Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Quick Guide to SimLit - Sims Story FAQ

Comments

• SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    edited March 2020
    I am too starting to write Simlit and I am having a difficult time with WordPress, especially with and a header to all my pages I understand that only some themes allow custom header's but which ones? it's not very clear on the themes page, what theme do you guys use? Do you pay for WordPress? I apologize I do have another discussion on this topic but in hindsight thought it would be better here as a comment.

I use Inergalactic 2. You can have a look by clicking on my signature if oyu want. And no I don't pay for it. Means I can't add a poll or use any of the other plugins as well as not being able to do a couple of other things, but what i have is good enough for me.
    image.png
  • femalegamerxofemalegamerxo Posts: 57 Member
    SimTresa wrote: »
    I am too starting to write Simlit and I am having a difficult time with WordPress, especially with and a header to all my pages I understand that only some themes allow custom header's but which ones? it's not very clear on the themes page, what theme do you guys use? Do you pay for WordPress? I apologize I do have another discussion on this topic but in hindsight thought it would be better here as a comment.

I use Inergalactic 2. You can have a look by clicking on my signature if oyu want. And no I don't pay for it. Means I can't add a poll or use any of the other plugins as well as not being able to do a couple of other things, but what i have is good enough for me.

Thank-you @SimTresa I love it!! :)
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    You're welcome! And thanks. 😊
    image.png
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

i have free wordpress plan.
  • Orchidah1Orchidah1 Posts: 193 Member

Chapter 4: Truth or Scare (Part 1&2) OUT NOW :D

- I looked back at him and saw the terror on his face. I wasn't sure if he was scared of his friends outside or of the basement steps that might cave in at the slightest pressure... Or maybe he was afraid of ghosts. -

ubwaSS8.jpg

Read it on the:

Forum Thread >>> HERE
    BLOG Post >>>>> HERE

• Joyce777Joyce777 Posts: 74 Member
    Thank you for this link. Learning everything it gets overwhelmed to me. I love reading everyone's stories so fun to see.
    Sims4 ID: LaynieJ
  • gogojellygogojelly Posts: 24 Member
    Hi there I'm a long time simmer, but new to sharing stories, and new to to using any kind of forum. I understand theres limitations to new members so I hope I'm doing this right.

Anyway I wanted to share my Sims Lit page >> simslitty.wordpress.com
  • LalajadeeyesLalajadeeyes Posts: 323 Member
    Hello, I’m practically new to the Sims 4 community. I used to play Sims 3 and was writing stories for it. I really appreciate this guide; I had no idea about the advanced cheat for the animations. Wow. I have been looking for something like it for a while since I remember being able to use it in Sims 3. Thank you!!!
    I only hope to meet some new simmers to share my game with!
    :)
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 459 Member
    @gogojelly @Lalajadeeyes Welcome to the SimLit community! :smiley:
    7YZVoCi.png
  • gogojellygogojelly Posts: 24 Member
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I currently write my story updates in the 'What did you play today' thread, but I have so many updates I think I'd prefer to write in a separate story thread. It doesn't have a defined 'end point' though and I'm planning to write about different characters and their storyline, then when closing that out, moving on to the next. Is this okay for one thread? Should I make multiple for different stories or just stay in the 'What have you done today' thread? I've seen both done, but I'm not sure about what the best move is. I'm hoping for some input. 😃
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 459 Member
    Duvelina wrote: »
    I currently write my story updates in the 'What did you play today' thread, but I have so many updates I think I'd prefer to write in a separate story thread. It doesn't have a defined 'end point' though and I'm planning to write about different characters and their storyline, then when closing that out, moving on to the next. Is this okay for one thread? Should I make multiple for different stories or just stay in the 'What have you done today' thread? I've seen both done, but I'm not sure about what the best move is. I'm hoping for some input. 😃

I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying. Is it separate stories each with their own updates? Or is it one story with different story lines? I agree that putting your updates in its own story thread would make it easier for fans to find your story and to see when you've added to it. You can do separate threads for separate stories. Or, you can put all your stories in one thread. If you do the latter, I'd suggest making separate comments for each story to add chapters to. Then update the story both with a new comment (for thread notification) and in its story comment section. This way people who follow get a notification and those who are new to your work don't have to jump all over your thread to find new chapters. They can find them together in one space. Know how many comment sections you'll need to reserve (1 per story) before starting your thread then go for it. Putting all stories in one thread would give advertising for your other stories. However, separate threads might be cleaner especially if you want to include pictures or blog-style updates for the stories, and want keep story extras with their own "fanbases".

If it's one story with different story lines, putting the chapters in one space is good. If the story is linear then you need to put them together in the order audiences should read them. If its one story world, but each character's individual story is a stand alone then you could divide them like I suggested above, but by character with each character having their chapters in their own comment section that you update. But you could also use one comment thread and use character names to separate their chapters. I'd advise against using separate threads for something that's the same story. That can be confusing. It's easier for readers who like the story world to find all the story in one place. The exception would be if the stories are so different that they warrant being separated (like same world but different genres). Ultimately, it's up to you and what you're trying to accomplish. Sorry this is so long (possibly vague) I wasn't sure what you're specifically trying to do so tried to answer everything. If I didn't answer your question, or I'm confusing you, give me more specifics. Good luck. :smile:
    7YZVoCi.png
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Hey everyone, thanks for giving each other input and being helpful :) Just remember, this is a not a thread to advertise your story updates. You can share your site if you want feedback on something specific, but this shouldn't become a thread for link dropping ;)
    edited January 2021
    deleted
    Post edited by Orchidah1 on
    edited January 2021
    deleted
    edited January 2021
    deleted
    edited January 2021
    deleted
    edited January 2021
    deleted
    edited January 2021
    deleted
    Hi @Orchidah1

This is a thread for SimLit FAQ for people who are new to SimLit. It is not a place to advertise your story. Try the writer's lounge or open your own thread. Some tips on how to advertise are also mentioned in the top posts of this thread.

Please keep this thread free of advertisment posts so that new writers' questions don't get lost. Thank you!
  • mtvsimsmtvsims Posts: 51 Member
    Thank you for this! My main motivation for joining this forum (after Simming for nearly a decade) is to finally post my first story blog. Your list of popular sites is really helpful, too. I started a Tumblr, but I'm wondering if I should migrate it to somewhere else, because most of my posts are really long, and I feel like most people on Tumblr post shorter snippets for their stories.
    Catch the latest episode of The Challenge by MTVSims here.

1ae67d358eb80994760c45b5c89f34c72d340369.png

• KanindotaKanindota Posts: 101 Member
    Thank you for this! My main motivation for joining this forum (after Simming for nearly a decade) is to finally post my first story blog. Your list of popular sites is really helpful, too. I started a Tumblr, but I'm wondering if I should migrate it to somewhere else, because most of my posts are really long, and I feel like most people on Tumblr post shorter snippets for their stories.

Hey @happysmile9 I've been exactly in your boat. I initially started with Tumblr too, but I am migrating it over to WordPress (still gonna keep the Tumblr as there is a lovely community there and tons of resources too) but for more SimLit, I think WordPress is better as stats, you can commonly find a longer post format too!
    Wordpress is among the most popular choices so I don't think you can go wrong with that @happysmile9

Many other simlit writers already have a wordpress account and can leave likes and comments on your blog that way :)
  • mtvsimsmtvsims Posts: 51 Member
    @Julyvee94 @Kanindota My Wordpress migration is in progress haha. Thanks guys.
    Catch the latest episode of The Challenge by MTVSims here.

1ae67d358eb80994760c45b5c89f34c72d340369.png

edited January 2021
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    Hi @Orchidah1

This is a thread for SimLit FAQ for people who are new to SimLit. It is not a place to advertise your story. Try the writer's lounge or open your own thread. Some tips on how to advertise are also mentioned in the top posts of this thread.

Please keep this thread free of advertisment posts so that new writers' questions don't get lost. Thank you!

Oh shoot so sorry! posted in the wrong thread sincere apologies everyone :o<3 Please delete it for me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top