Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should The Sims Stop Collaborating?

Comments

• Options
    StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member
    Yes
    Onverser wrote: »
    I have nothing against it. MAC had the potential to bring tons of good and much need makeup variety to the game, it was just terribly executed. I think if a collab is done well and brings good items I'm all for it.

For example, not to generalise against the sims team, but from my understanding majority of them are older and probably not that knowledgeable on modern fashion. If they collabed with a fashion brand that is very current then they could get some good clothing designs which are more interesting and modern. Same with the makeup, if the MAC collab was done well it could've added lots of good styles we wouldn't have got otherwise.

I don't know the age of the develops, but the clothing is SO much better in sims 4 than any other editions! If you have all the packs. They are not as crazy ugly as earlier. -Not all, but some odd stuff is okay for making different styles. But sure, Im always ready for more cool clothes!

BTW what I wanted to say is; if you want me to to check out your bug report and support it. Then write what the issue is. Then I know if its something I have a problem with too.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    No
    Collaborations aren't bad and they shouldn't stop doing them but they need to think more about who they are doing collaborations with and how they are handled. I lot of players from what I have seen have been heavily throwing hate toward EA over this collab but personally i think most of the blame is on MAC for just reusing one of their own existing palettes.

Should EA of said something and work to get a unique palette? Yes. Do I think they really cared enough? No. Mostly likely they just saw this a good way to make some cash not really thinking about what will go into it. That said MAC is the one who is in charge of the release and most likely is the one who chose the palette so for me I am putting more blame on them.
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    No
    I don't have any issues with collaborations, but I do wish that they were more meaningful.

As a make-up and skincare junkie, I heard about the MAC palette pretty early on, and I remember thinking "what does this have to do with The Sims?" and then after some digging, it's revealed that this particular palette isn't anything new, it's just repackaged. This isn't a collaboration, it's just laziness, and EA/Maxis aren't even trying to hide it.

The collaboration with YouTube creators to make the builds for the Snowy Escape expansion, felt way more meaningful. Regardless of any personal feelings towards these creators, at least the collaboration made sense because they upload Sims related content and play the game pretty regularly.

I'm not sure who is responsible for collaborations, but it's clear that they need to be given more thought.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    No
    First I don't think it's ever gonna happen. This has been going on since Sims 2.... and maybe even the first one considering the famous people were based off actual celebrities. It's part of a marketing machine that .. just isn't going to change.
    I loved the MAC blushes (free stuff!), but didn't use the rest on my sims until the sliders were patched in... now they are great and for the most part useable.
    I've had no issue with the celebrity collabs (free content) or the Moschino pack which was more about photography really and had useful items and gameplay for my sims.
    The only one I'm on the fence about is Star Wars types of collabs. I did like playing with it for awhile but not sure when or if my sims will ever go back. I liked the CAS though and much of the build buy is still useful to me. Then again I can say the same things about packs involving toddlers or children... not every pack is for everyone.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    amberlunezamberlunez Posts: 52 Member
    Yes
    My real answer is that they simply need to be more discerning with their collaborations, but I went with Yes. I'd rather see no collaborations than experience the amount of secondhand embarrassment I'm still burning with from the MAC collab. Also, I feel like - I play sims as an ALTERNATIVE universe. I don't need 'branding' in my game. I like the little pop culture references they used to be so fond of in past renditions, and I liked the H&M and IKEA packs, but like...they need to think about the impact their collaboration has on the game instead of just their wallets.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    edited January 2021
    No
    DeKay wrote: »
    I picked no cuz it doesn't really affect me in any way. Most of the collabs they do in-game is free (for example, Moschino one) and even if it's paid, if I don't like the CAS object or whatever, I just don't use it. There's a lot of original Maxis CAS items that I don't like too which I don't use, so to me, they're all the same thing.

Even if they spend a lot of money to collaborate with these other companies, it's not like we can control where they would spend the money on, if they don't.

It's true we can't control where they spend their money but I would like to see that money put into the game to fix the list of neverending issues.

The thing is money itself doesn't just solve the list of bugs. Of course, with money, they could hire a lot of people to fix the bugs but in the long term, that's probably more money than just one collaboration. But with collaboration, they can earn a profit from it. They won't earn profit from fixing bugs. It's sad but that's business for you.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    No
    I'd like them to continue on the off chance that they collab with a franchise/brand I actually like. So far the collab packs haven't been worse than the normal packs (hoping for them to be better, because they target an audiance outside simmers that is possibly a bit more discerning, was too much).
    But EA really needs to get a sort of system behind their collborations, not a random Youtuber girl here, a major pop culture phenomen like Star Wars there and in between the odd fashion/makeup pack.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    No
    I picked no cuz it doesn't really affect me in any way. Most of the collabs they do in-game is free (for example, Moschino one) and even if it's paid, if I don't like the CAS object or whatever, I just don't use it. There's a lot of original Maxis CAS items that I don't like too which I don't use, so to me, they're all the same thing.

Even if they spend a lot of money to collaborate with these other companies, it's not like we can control where they would spend the money on, if they don't.

It's true we can't control where they spend their money but I would like to see that money put into the game to fix the list of neverending issues.

The thing is money itself doesn't just solve the list of bugs. Of course, with money, they could hire a lot of people to fix the bugs but in the long term, that's probably more money than just one collaboration. But with collaboration, they can earn a profit from it. They won't earn profit from fixing bugs. It's sad but that's business for you.

Dekay, have you ever made the young man in your siggy into a sim? If not, you should :)
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes
    I wouldn't mind if they stopped doing them. Then again collabs for the Sims 4 have been the worst of all the iterations. The Mac collaboration I was hoping to be more current and not so passé looking and pale. MAC is known for being inclusive and well the collaboration was very off brand for how their real makeup is like. That the thing by the time they put trends in with working on so many packs at once that trend is at least 10 years outdated. I rather they work on timeless and worldwide and indie things that tend to get outdated at a slower pace and a higher quality of detail to them. Modern just gets old fast which is probably one of the Sims 4 biggest faults trying to be ultra modern which just ends up being passé and bore Simmers within a month.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    No
    Collaborations make money. Money is needed to make the game. If I don't like it I don't use it or buy it. It does not directly affect me so I'm not worried. I don't wear makeup. They made a Sims palette that I am not buying. They made expensive cloths a while back that I did not buy. I'm not getting my panties in a wad because a company that makes a game I like is making money.

If drink a Coke it does not mean I buy all their merch that Coke puts out or agree with what their parent corporations do.

If I watch a YT video it does mean I have to go buy the creators merch.

This is all capitalism at it's best. (an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state)

Just because something is produced does not mean I have to consume it or use it or buy it.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    No

Dekay, have you ever made the young man in your siggy into a sim? If not, you should :)

Hehe, no, I have not. I haven't even opened my game in so long. I'll keep that in mind when I do. :joy:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    No
    I honestly don't mind clothing/furniture based packs as they kinda fit in the game anyway.

Star wars and the mac palette was probably the worst collaboration lol
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Yes
    I've never been a fan of collabs in games. It feels too much like an advertisement in a free to play game. I wouldn't like a Doritos or Preparation H commercial to pop up while I'm playing, why would I like Mac and Moschino ads? No offense intended to the Sims team, but if I want a great looking outfit or makeup for my sims that has real world connections, I go hunting for CC because, while I love my game content, the community does it better.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Yes
    The collabs have never really enhanced the game.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    No
    When I think of The Sims collaborations, I think of things like the It Gets Better Project, which I know was controversial (although it should not have been), but which was also non-commercial. Things like Mac or Moschino or Diesel or Katy Perry don't bother me. If it's not a pack I want, I don't buy it. But some collaborations have genuine importance.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Yes
    They are more concerned about Sims as a brand than Sims as a game. In the last couple years we have seen officially licensed apparel (threadless, cheap), high fashion (moschino, expensive) apparel, a tv show, cheap makeup, a paid advertisement for Disney world, and way too many sponsored posts from celebrities and the same handful of game changers (sponsored means EA paid them to promote the game, or brand).

So yes I think they should stop because nothing they are doing is adding value to the game. New players do not add value to the game. That has no benefit to any player anywhere. That doesn’t result in more dev $, and hasn’t resulted in a less buggy game. It’s all chasing quick cash.
  • Options
    Amj1995Amj1995 Posts: 4,068 Member
    No
    I don’t think they need to stop collaborating with companies, they just need to think about who they collaborate with instead it just looking like a “slap my name on it”
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2021
    Yes
    I picked yes but only because EA/Maxis has no clue about what brands actually work well in the game and which ones don't. Star Wars should NEVER have been a thing in the Sims. Katy Perry Should never have been a thing. The whole mac cosmetics thing is just not very sims.

• Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    Yes
    Amj1995 wrote: »
    I don’t think they need to stop collaborating with companies, they just need to think about who they collaborate with instead it just looking like a “slap my name on it”

I think collaborating with MAC makes sense but it was just very poorly executed. H&M and Ikea made sense with The Sims 2 because it was clothing and furniture, natural components to a life simulator, but they were also brands that were affordable to the player base. If you liked a bookshelf from the Ikea Stuff Pack, you could go out and buy it for yourself. While I do enjoy high end fashion, Moschino is not a brand the average Sims player can afford. But I definitely agree that any future collaborations need to be more than a name slapped on.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    No
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    Collaborations make money. Money is needed to make the game. If I don't like it I don't use it or buy it. It does not directly affect me so I'm not worried. I don't wear makeup. They made a Sims palette that I am not buying. They made expensive cloths a while back that I did not buy. I'm not getting my panties in a wad because a company that makes a game I like is making money.

If drink a Coke it does not mean I buy all their merch that Coke puts out or agree with what their parent corporations do.

If I watch a YT video it does mean I have to go buy the creators merch.

This is all capitalism at it's best. (an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state)

Just because something is produced does not mean I have to consume it or use it or buy it.

This. ^^^
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Emusimmer32Emusimmer32 Posts: 257 Member
    No
    I don't think they should completely stop per say, but, I feel like the managers/whoever is in charge should have a better understanding of what the community would like and dislike. For example, a stuff pack with a popular brand like Ikea, would be something that I feel would be well received by the community. Additionally, they should have a fair idea that their community would be against a collaboration with something like, idk, the star wars disaster.

I feel like the Mac collab could've been really good, being a makeup brand and whatnot, however I feel it was just poorly executed with a chunk of the community being unhappy.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    Yes
    Last good collaboration they did was H&M & IKEA. Although Katy Perry's House of Pain did amuse me a great deal.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    ghamrick75ghamrick75 Posts: 134 Member
    No
    No
    Absolutely not.

I would like to see BETTER collaborations but by no means abandon collaborating to produce new and interesting content for Sims 4 or future Sims games.

That is not to say that I disliked the Moschino or the Star Wars pack. I loved both of them in fact though both left wishing there had been more in them. (To be fair, I have said I wished there were more in EVERY pack though.) The free MAC make-up content was of no interest to me but, again, I spend far more time in "build mode" than I do in
    playing the game and "create a sim" combined. And both the Moschino and Star Wars packs have items in it that are quite usable in builds if you are creative.

I also love that "Batoo" is a destination world and not "livable" and don't mind not being able to build there (without cheats). In fact, I would love more destination worlds with a similar function to them.

All of that said, I still want to see BETTER collaborations.

- Collaborations that will allow the "Sims Universe" to expand in creative, interesting, and unique ways. The "Star Wars" collaboration wasn't a bad example of this: The Sims got a vacation destination (Star Wars Theme Park), some fun story and game play additions, and some nice build items. The Moschino pack offer a few "new and improved" game play mechanics as well. However, I still feel like the surface hasn't been scratched on what is possible there. A collaboration with a historical society to create another exploration destination? A collaboration with a theme park? What about The Smithsonian to improve the museums in the game.

- Collaborations that might allow the expanding of existing skills, aspirations, and traits in the game. True, it could be done without the input from them but could you imagine the Athlete job getting a new branch that didn't have to do with team sports or being a bodybuilder? Like maybe an Olympic Athlete or MMA fighter or a pro-wrestler? I could and wish those options were in the game. (I know a few pro-wrestlers who would love Sims made of them except the career option isn't there to do them justice.) And I partially joke here but what about a collaboration with Gordon Ramsey to improve the restaurants and culinary career in the game. (Any "celebrity chef" would be fine here but the idea of Gordon Ramsey as a Sim has me laughing... A LOT)

- With regards to "corporate collaborations", I don't have any strong impulses. There's no specific brands with regards to clothing that I could sit there and say "I'd love their clothing in the game". Some build items like furniture and decor could be fantastic though.
    Origin ID: ghamrick75
    (I'm been redoing my gallery stuff so bear with me. FYI: I never use CC on my gallery builds. I rarely use MOO.) I am usually more pleased with my room builds than my lot builds.

“I have never met such weird yet serious and earnest people.” ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
  • Options
    RifftraxRulesRifftraxRules Posts: 145 Member
    Yes
    Yes!!!!! They need to spend that money on fixing bugs! Not on these "collaborations" that benefit no one but EA.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Yes
    I've always thought real life collaborations were dumb. H&M, Katy Perry, didn't matter.