Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will Someone Please Explain This To Me?

I currently have my 2nd generation sim going through college. He's been taking 3 courses every enrollment period. He just took a final exam in one class, but the other two courses say he has 15 - 20 hours before his final exams...

HIob7zJ.png
fAN1Pv4.png

And yet, the class schedule says it's the last day of class (for every course??)

qT8eTIS.png

Pretty immediately, he got his report card back, and after doing his homework every day, he got two D's and an F.

I'm confused... why is the game saying there is one more class coming up for two of the courses and then ends the term before so? Is this a glitch?

F8wHsKZ.png

Comments

• MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited January 2021
    My best guess is that since there are no final exams for either the "Technology and Art: Interesting Intersections" or "Strike a Pose: Photographing Sims", it would mean that the Term Papers are in its place. Did you finish the two term papers before the report card showed up?
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Did you enroll into the semester in the middle of the week? The thing says there’s still time because the class is technically scheduled for that date, but the semester itself is ending. So the schedule doesn’t account for semester ending. I usually enroll on Friday so my sims have Saturday and Sunday to everything(research papers, presentations) and just worry about the final and homework from Monday thru Fridays.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited January 2021
    No it's not a glitch, a class is more or less the same as a job in the game... so you have to look at your class schedule and be finished with your term paper or your presentation before it's over.

It's not the greatest, it's pretty annoying that you can't see the day when your exam is for example, you have to guess.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Aside from finishing the class tasks, you also have to either take notes or listen while they are attending class. MybSim kept failing even though she did everything, homework, term papers, presentations, exams. Completed all those things and still failed. I had to look up how to complete and pass in University and that's when I read that about the taking notes.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,869 Member
    @JestTru is right, yes, taking notes in class (and being on time so as to do it) is much more important than doing the homework.

I have 2 college students right now. They both show up to every class on time and take notes. The driven one has 4 classes and is doing all her outside of class work, while the slacker has 2 classes and is only doing outside-of-class work when he does it autonomously (I never send him to). In the first term, driven student got A A A+ B+, slacker got A- B. (Luckily for slacker, he didn't have to do a presentation or term paper; he might do worse if that happens in a future term.)
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    s33man wrote: »
    I currently have my 2nd generation sim going through college. He's been taking 3 courses every enrollment period. He just took a final exam in one class, but the other two courses say he has 15 - 20 hours before his final exams...

HIob7zJ.png
    fAN1Pv4.png

And yet, the class schedule says it's the last day of class (for every course??)

qT8eTIS.png

Pretty immediately, he got his report card back, and after doing his homework every day, he got two D's and an F.

I'm confused... why is the game saying there is one more class coming up for two of the courses and then ends the term before so? Is this a glitch?

The game will tell you ___ hrs until class based on the scheduled days of class in relation to what in game day it is. The two classes you presented are scheduled on Tuesday & Thursday but it was Wednesday in game when you took the screenshot so the game in the class schedule UI is calculating the number of hours until the next scheduled class day. It doesn’t take into account the point you’re at in the term here.

So, you have to check notifications because that’s where you get the warning about the end of term nearing, and that you need to finish term papers and presentations. I have learned all of this the hard way by trial and error. So, the best approach I have found is to do the term papers and presentations right away. Do the rough draft, then the edits, then the final draft and turn it it well before term ends. Also all the other advice given here is solid. Starting on a Friday gives you a full weekend to get a jump on things so to speak, in addition to homework your sim needs to either take notes or actively listen in class, and using office hours with professors can help you check your grade before the final report card.

I enjoy the Discover University pack because I always find getting my sims successfully through a real challenge and that’s one thing I generally find lacking in this game. I honestly think it’s the most accurate simulation of a life event in the game as I struggle to find a balance between my sim completing a course load and having time to have some fun too.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,354 Member
    In addition to the advice given by @Pamtastic72 above, M/W/F classes have finals but no projects. while T/T classes have either a term paper or a presentation to finish but no finals.

I've put the majority of my sims through University (though often from home) more or less since I got DU. And yeah, the X hours until next class when you're on the last day of term can be confusing until you're used to it.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,667 Member
    It's a mix of info per student, and info per subject. The next class info relates to an never ending schedule, and not a specific student. I agree it is a tad confusing, but once you get used of it, it's at least not game breaking. So, game says how many hours until next class *if you have any active student on that subject who is not already heading for finale exam*.

If you play several students who started not on the same day, it could actually be useful information. I guess EA found that such info on when next class is, should not depend on which student is the active sim (re UI).

The info telling you that sim is ending term is per student, though.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    You didn't submit the term papers!

University courses have three different assignments to do: exam, term paper or presentation.

Presentation boards appear (unless there's a bug) in the sim's inventory at the beginning of the simester. Place the board somewhere and click on it to start the presentation. After some time, the sim will have a finished bad quality presentation that they can further refine, ask for advice and practice.

Once you are satisfied with the presentation (you get a notification that it can't be improved further) the sim has to do the actual presentation mon-fri in the morning. Choose a day you don't have morning lessons, as it takes time to do the presentation and you don't want to miss lessons. Then, click on the board to present the subject, the sim will take the board and dissapear into a rabbit hole for some time.

Term papers are written on any computer (not research machine) be it desktop or laptop, under the University->Coursework. Your sim can either Copy (I guess plagiarize) or write their own paper. After some time on the computer, the sim will have a poor quality term paper they can submit or improve. Improving takes some more time on the computer and you'll get notified when it can't be improved anymore.

For exams, just be on time for every lesson and select "take notes" when the sim is at a lesson (the same way you can select work hard or make friends in jobs). If your sim has missed lessons, they can get back on track studying with the university Coursebook or with a computer.

If you want to make sure your sim will get a good grade, use the phone or the computer to ask the professors about the grades. Do it the day before last simester day.
    Happy simming!
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    I've sent many sims to university since DU was released. Most of them took 4 courses per term and got an A+ on every one of them. Here's the plan I usually follow:
    1. Live at home. It's much easier for the sims to get to classes on time and I can access Build/Buy mode as needed. I usually use lot traits to make the home a Study Spot. (I have used the dorms a few times)
    2. Learn the Research & Debate skill to level 6 or higher, preferably before enrolling in University. Level 3 makes homework faster and level 6 makes term papers and presentations faster.
    3. Join the organizations that give extra credit for my Sim's major and reach level 2 in the organization. Attend all of the organizational activities possible without skipping class.
    4. Complete homework before class.
    5. Go to class on time and Take Notes.
    6. Complete all term papers and presentations, edit them to the highest level, and turn them in before the end of the term
    7. I use earbuds, if my sims have them, to maintain their fun while doing all this. (Fitness stuff pack, I think)

The first term is pretty busy, especially if the sim hasn't learned the R&D skill. After that, there's usually plenty of free time.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited January 2021
    Enroll on Friday. This gives you all of Saturday & Sunday to get a head start on your work, and assures the final day of the semester will be the following Friday.

You can complete your first homework assignments before your first classes. Also, you don't need to wait to start presentations or term papers. Your first draft will be poor quality, but both presentations and term papers can be revised. Don't submit until they are Excellent.

The most productive tone for class is "Take Notes".

I have never had less than an A- (where there were routing issues early on & missed a class) on an actively played Sim. You do need to direct them - unplayed enrolled Sims usually neglect their studies.

nNUeZAe.png
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Note that those two classes say "Submit a Term Paper!" It says nothing about finals because those classes do not have finals.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    Did you enroll into the semester in the middle of the week? The thing says there’s still time because the class is technically scheduled for that date, but the semester itself is ending. So the schedule doesn’t account for semester ending. I usually enroll on Friday so my sims have Saturday and Sunday to everything(research papers, presentations) and just worry about the final and homework from Monday thru Fridays.

I do pretty much the same thing. I like my Sim students to get that head start, so they aren't bogged down all week trying to play catch-up. The most Sims I've taken through Uni all at the same time, in the very same dorm has been six. They all graduated well, by giving them that head start, too. And to the OP, I questioned having class in so many hours when it said it was the final day, too. It's weird how it does that, but just make sure your students tern in that Term Paper, or give the Presentation before that last day and all should be well.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Update: slacker student was assigned a term paper second semester. He never worked on it at all. He might have done homework once autonomously, I'm not sure. He did go to all the classes and take notes. He got a B.

Now, that was a violin class, and he has played violin since childhood so his skill was at level 7 by the end of the semester. But still, I think Take Notes must be the most powerful determining factor of grades.
  • Carpbeat24Carpbeat24 Posts: 987 Member
    Nushka wrote: »
    You didn't submit the term papers!

Yeah I guess I was confused because it appeared I had another day to write and submit those papers for those courses, which I did not. So therefore my sim got bad grades. Now I know, I guess. Thanks!
    F8wHsKZ.png
    I finally figured out how you can fail a class even if you are attending and taking notes!
    If you don't do the paper/presentation, AND you are low in the skill, then you don't do well.
    Slacker student is finally on probation (where narrative-wise, he belongs)

Screen-Shot-2021-01-07-at-2-50-34-PM.png