The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Downloading from Gallery - Losing Traits

One of my brothers just got Sims, and wanted to play the characters he made on my other brother's account on his account.

We just uploaded his characters to the gallery, and he downloaded them to his account. He lost a couple of their outfits, but that was no big deal.
One big shocker though was that his characters came with a LOT of money, so he was able to buy a real nice house for them.

About a week or two later, I decided to do the same with some characters I used to play on that account too. They didn't bring any money with them. I'm not sure why his did, and mine didn't, but no big deal. They lost most of their clothes, and some of their hair, but I expected that. (I have different expansions than my brother.) I was more interested in if they would bring along their skills. They did!

The thing that bothered me is traits. You can't change traits on a character after you create it, and apparently traits are expansion specific. My sorceress had only 2 traits, and my merman had 0 traits. Is there any way to give them traits, or do they get stuck with less traits than other adult sims?

I logged on today, and my merman has 1 trait now. Maybe the game assigned him one, so he wouldn't have 0. But it is a trait that I don't want on him! The game just randomly assigned him a trait, and I can't remove it? That doesn't seem fair.

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Ctrl+Shift+C and type testingcheats true

Shift-click on a sim either Change Personality Traits or Modify in Cas to add the missing traits.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    Thanks. I'll try that!

(I was actually thinking about deleting them!)
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    Also try typing in “cas.fulleditmode” into the cheat bar after enabling cheats (you can do this from the manage worlds screen or in game play) then go into CAS to edit them. As long as they aren’t pregnant, you can edit their body and facial features along with traits and aspirations too
    It didn't work. :(

There was no option for "Change Personality Traits" and "Modify in Cas" is no different from before. It doesn't give any option to add or change traits. :(

I still wanna play my sorceress. Even with only 2 personality traits, she still has a lot of advanced skills and a nearly full spellbook.

But the merman is a disappointment. I knew he'd loses his tail, hair, and some of his clothes; but I wasn't expecting him to lose ALL 3 personality traits and have them replaced by one that I don't want on him. :(

The game should really allow us to replace traits lost when loading from the gallery, not lose them altogether or replace them with ones we don't want. This is frustrating.

BTW, my sorceress lost her glimmerstone. I suppose she doesn't need it, since she has a spell for that now. It just seemed strange that she lost it. (Her little girl still has hers though.)
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Tammors wrote: »
    It didn't work. :(

There was no option for "Change Personality Traits" and "Modify in Cas" is no different from before. It doesn't give any option to add or change traits. :(

When you are in CAS, in the upper left corner, under where their name is should be the traits, just click on one of them and it will give you the selection to choose from. I'd post a screen shot but I'm at work. Maybe someone else can post one so you can see what I am referring to.
    Thanks. I think I already did that and got a message that I can't edit on a pre-existing sim, but I might have made a mistake. I'll try again.

BTW, my brother told me yesterday that there is a reward potion you can get that will reset all traits. Has anybody tried that? I wonder if it just resets the reward traits, or if it also resets the ones you started the character with. I looked at it, but it was kinda expensive. I think you need something like 5,000 points or something to buy it. If it only resets the reward traits, I think I'd rather use those points to get another reward trait.

Thanks. I think I already did that and got a message that I can't edit on a pre-existing sim, but I might have made a mistake. I'll try again.

BTW, my brother told me yesterday that there is a reward potion you can get that will reset all traits. Has anybody tried that? I wonder if it just resets the reward traits, or if it also resets the ones you started the character with. I looked at it, but it was kinda expensive. I think you need something like 5,000 points or something to buy it. If it only resets the reward traits, I think I'd rather use those points to get another reward trait.

Type in "cas.fulleditmode" into the cheat bar after enabling cheats (testingcheats on) and then you can edit traits for existing sims!
    edited January 2021
    So if this helps, here's a quick tutorial (sorry if I'm dumbing it down too much, figured I'd be thorough though lol:
    Press “Ctrl + Shift + C” a the same time and the cheat bar will come up. Type in testingcheats on and press enter
    4Q0jYHZ.jpg

Then type "cas.fulleditmode" into the bar and click enter
    AiBOBnO.jpg

Go edit the household you want to. The sim should no longer have a faded out details area, so you can change their age, body shape, gender customization etc
    mhHj18O.png

If you go click on the traits, you will now have the option to X them out and choose new ones too
    hFT61MD.png

If that doesn't work and if you are not opposed to cheating to add aspiration points, this is how to add aspiration points (I believe the retraiting potion lets you just change your CAS traits like you want, but I've never tried since I can edit traits the way I mentioned above)

Type this into the cheat bar to add aspiration points while you are playing your sim in game mode:
    sims.give_satisfaction_points #

Just replace # with how many points you want
    Thanks. It worked this time.
    I guess I just didn't notice that it was a two step process, first to turn cheats on , and then to turn fulleditmode on after turning cheats on. (The real life world has worn me out lately. :( )

I just changed the trait that didn't belong on him, to test it. I'll add more later after I think about what would fit their characters best.

I decided to keep the sorceress anyway. It's been so long since I played her, that I forgot how much fun she is. ;) I was thinking of deleting the guy, but he's been kinda fun to keep around too. The only skills he was high in are charisma and fitness, but he also completed the alluring aspiration. So basically, the two of them can flirt with anybody they want right in front of each other, and they don't get jealous of each other. He could be a perfect partner for an enchantress.

Interesting note about adding aspiration points. I'm not really "opposed" to cheating, but prefer to see what I can do without. I get some enjoyment out of building them up. I can see how it could come in handy sometimes though. I'll have to try and avoid the tempatation. ;)

Interesting note about adding aspiration points. I'm not really "opposed" to cheating, but prefer to see what I can do without. I get some enjoyment out of building them up. I can see how it could come in handy sometimes though. I'll have to try and avoid the tempatation. ;)

It depends on how I'm playing if I want to cheat. There's some sims that I want to create quickly and just add them to my world but I don't want to take the time to play out their whole story, so I cheat a lot to give them aspiration points and reward traits, skills, and careers. But right now I'm playing a rags to riches challenge so I'm using no cheats at all and it is very satisfying to actually earn everything. But it really just depends on what I'm doing in my game - I definitely do use a lot of cheats in general though lol :)
    My brother and his daughter move their characters in with npcs, to steal money from the npcs, and use that to buy nice houses and furniture. lol

I think it's funny, and I could too, but I've found that I kinda enjoy starting on an empty lot, building a tiny one-room house with bathroom, and slowly improving the home as my character gets richer. It's not hard to make money if your character has the right skills.

That's part of the reason I wasn't bothered about them not bringing their wealth with them. They were rich when I uploaded them to the gallery, so I knew they'd have skills. She's a master spellcaster, with a good job, investments, and level 10 in several useful skills (plus celebrity status if I had that expansion).