Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Problem keeping store items installed

Hello Simmers,

I’m having problems keeping store items installed or perhaps getting the launcher to recognize them as installed. My game is from Origin and store items are from the sims 3 store website. I do not use CC items and the only mods I have are from nraas. The game is new from this summer.

At first, when I only had Riverview and a few free store items, it was easy as when I noticed they were not showing installed anymore I would rename the Sims 3 folder, redownload the the store items and install them and copy back the saves and library folders in the newly created sims 3 folder. But as I purchased more store items, this process took more and more time to accomplish.

I then noticed that when items were failing to show as installed in the launcher, two abnormal things could be viewed in the launcher. Under the content tab, all the items were there but instead of showing the picture of the item as an icon, it was only showing a box (similar to a cardboard box) and that in the installed tab only venues would show. i had found a solution when this happened. I discovered that if I closed Origin (not only X the screen but also close the Origin program running in the background) and relaunch the Sims 3 it would bring back the store items that were previously showing as not installed and the icons in the content tab were now showing as pictures instead of boxes. This worked for 3 months mostly on the first try and sometimes had to do it twice but the items would come back from uninstalled to installed. I figured there was a link problem between Origin and the launcher.

Just before Christmas (December 23rd), I purchased 2 expansion packs from Origin and installed them. Launched the game after this and store items were showing as boxes in the content tab and only venues (I have 4 of them) showing in the installed tab. Did my usual trick of closing Origin and relaunching the game but it did not work. Tried at least 15 times. Had to resort to create a new Sims 3 folder and redownload-reinstall all store items. I have a lot more though and this process took me hours. I followed the method mentioned in a thread by @ciane to install my store items but as I will purchase more from the store from DD the order wont work anymore.

Yesterday, when I launched the game, the same thing happened with boxes in the content tab and only venues showing installed. It took me 7 attempts of closing Origin and relaunching before it finally worked. I know for sure the will break down again forcing me to have to redownload and install everything......

What i would like to know is how to fix this and not have this happen. Would there be an easier way that would not take me hours to do. Are there files/folders that I can keep backups of to avoid having to redownload and reinstall everything. I must not be the only one this is happening to....... Any help would be appreciated !

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I don't use Origin. I'm on all discs, so the launcher Origin problem isn't something I encounter. Can you physically disconnect from the internet - turn off WIFI and then launch your game?
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Do they show up in you game in buy mode? I used to often have things showing up as tiny cardboard boxes as that's the default icon for the launcher. If you wait a while sometimes those little boxes will show the image they are supposed to show. It just takes time for the screen to render.

If they are showing up in buy mode, but venues are not appearing in the library I have a short YouTube video tutorial that demonstrates how to get them back into the library without having to make a new Sims 3 folder - provided they are in fact already installed and should appear in the library. This method won't fix any other problems and will only work if the venues or lots are already installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1KwkjJDtrg&list=PLFT4tKkKX8Wvc78leOoIOzOBOtemfqERG&index=13&t=6s
  • CoriandreCoriandre Posts: 90 Member
    Thank you for your replies.
    @ciane I have not tried connecting without the internet but will see if it makes a difference. I cannot avoid Origin though as launching the game automatically open Origin. I suppose it can still validate my game offline ?

@Karritz Sometimes the boxes take a couple of seconds to render the image but when the problem occurs, they just never do. The items are not in buy mode and store worlds are not present. You cant load a save or start a game from Riverview as an example. This has to be some sort of a failure from the launcher as everything is there and installed in the folders. I guess that I'll just keep a complete copy of the Sims 3 folder somewhere and see if that can help for the next time this occurs. Maybe I'll try posting this in the technical issues section of the forum.

Thank you !

@corianre two things occur to me.

First. The launcher uses Internet Explorer. The way to fix most launcher issues is to clear browsing history for Internet Explorer.

Second. Have you checked your Installed Worlds folder to make sure there are files in it for all of the worlds that are installed.
  • CoriandreCoriandre Posts: 90 Member
    @Karritz Yes, all the store worlds I have show up in the installed world folder. Never cleared the internet explorer browser history before but just did it now.

I tried to launch the game offline but that didnt work (suprising actually). Got a Origin screen that said that Origin could not connect when I tried. Unless there is an other method, I find it bizarre that this game would require an internet connection to be played.

Yesterday, the same scenario happened once again. Only the venues were showing installed in the launcher and only boxes in the content tab. Took me five tries (close the launcher, close origin and relaunch) to finally get them to show up. In between the 4th and 5th try, I did delete the 5 cache files in the Sims 3 folder. Maybe that had something to do with it ? Although I had most likely tried this before.

I read in some guides that it is suggested that you should delete everything in the DCBackup folder except the ccmerge file. Do you do this ?
    Deleting the 5 cache files in the Sims 3 folder won't have given you a problem. If you are playing on a Mac computer don't ever delete the world cache files.

DCBackup files can be deleted i often clear them as they take up a lot of space. The ccmerged file is your premium content. Your premium content stops working if this file becomes corrupt or is deleted. It is a good idea to have a good working backup of ccmerged as it can become corrupt.

I don't have Origin on my computer. But from what I know about it you should be able to put it into offline mode. I know a lot of people have problems with the launcher but I've not heard of the problem you are having. I never check if things are showing up in my launcher. I rarely open my launcher. I only use it if I want to install something so it can be months before I launch it.

I do remember having big problems getting things to show up in my game for a while. My problem was caused by having too many files in my Downloads folder. I own almost everything from the store. If I put it all into my downloads folder it will install everything but only some of it will be in my game. The way I fixed it was to add two extra folders inside my downloads folder. I named them 'To Install' and 'Installed'. I move all of my Sims3Pack files from tge Downliads folder to the 'To Install' folder. This leaves the downloads folder empty except for those rwo folders and the few extra files that live there. I then move a few of the Sims3Pack files from the To Install folder. Then install them. Once they are installed I move them to the Installed folder. I work my way through them until I've installed everything.

I hope you find your solution. Good luck