Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is Gameplay to you?

I often read a lot of threads where people are saying there is not enough gameplay or they need to add more gameplay in packs. I have seen some examples but most of the time there is no real explanation behind the comment. So I decided to ask the question. I think it will help the devs understand what we are looking for from the game.

I will start...
For me, gameplay starts at the core. The core of the Sims is in the title. The Sims themselves. We have gotten off track and there has been too much focus on builds, beautiful worlds and CAS. When I look back on Sims 2, I really enjoyed the game because of the Sims themselves. My sims felt unique because there were many factors affecting their personality whether they were neat or sloppy, active or inactive or even mixed. Next thing that added uniqueness were interests. Did they like talking about money or politics, crime or love and conversations were affected between sims whose interests did not line up? Later the attraction system was added which added another layer of uniqueness to the sim.

The skiing, vacations, adventures, school, bands, fame, new worlds, will all feel the same as long as we are relying on the same 10 emotion system\moodlet system. The sims need more depth and more animation. EX: When a sim is telling another sim the big news of pregnancy, the sim should have an excited animation if they are happy or sulk animation or even a cry if they are not happy. Not a moodlet saying they are happy about the big news. It is the little things that make the game so much more. I spend more time imagining a reaction than seeing one and that is sad.

Comments

• smilepandasmilepanda Posts: 101 Member
    Yeah I would like to see more emotion portrayed in the sim's actions not just a moodlet. More reactions to things like pregnancy and maybe people moving out would add more to that feeling behind it.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    My sims felt unique because there were many factors affecting their personality whether they were neat or sloppy, active or inactive or even mixed. Next thing that added uniqueness were interests. Did they like talking about money or politics, crime or love and conversations were affected between sims whose interests did not line up? Later the attraction system was added which added another layer of uniqueness to the sim.

I could have cried reading this, this is exactly what we need back into the game - a personality. For me, "gameplay" is simply just storytelling and having my Sims live their lives, however everything in this game seems so linear and follows the same path, no matter what traits or careers my Sim has.

We are in desperate need of a proper personality system in this game such as likes/dislikes, favourites, interests, attractions. I would say a personality for Sims is the key to unlocking far more gameplay for us.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    keekee53 wrote: »
    My sims felt unique because there were many factors affecting their personality whether they were neat or sloppy, active or inactive or even mixed. Next thing that added uniqueness were interests. Did they like talking about money or politics, crime or love and conversations were affected between sims whose interests did not line up? Later the attraction system was added which added another layer of uniqueness to the sim.

I could have cried reading this, this is exactly what we need back into the game - a personality. For me, "gameplay" is simply just storytelling and having my Sims live their lives, however everything in this game seems so linear and follows the same path, no matter what traits or careers my Sim has.

We are in desperate need of a proper personality system in this game such as likes/dislikes, favourites, interests, attractions. I would say a personality for Sims is the key to unlocking far more gameplay for us.

Agreed. Any addition to the game will feel one note until they fix the sims themselves.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2021
    In The Sims, I'd define good gameplay as offering many open-ended paths to take your Sim in, with loads of details to discover along the way. It's a pretty vague description, but I don't think it has to be any more specific.

Still, I definitely think gameplay is so much more than animations tied to skill. That's part of it for sure, but there needs to be depth behind it. How does that skill affect their personality? Their relationships? Their chance of success/failure? Their mood? Etc. The reason why I feel like a pack such as Spa Day isn't really offering much gameplay is because it's just animations tied to objects which really only offer our Sims a moodlet. Same thing with Snowy Escape. What value does skiing and snowboarding really provide our Sim other than a simple skill number?

The Sims 2 is often held in high regard because the development team knew these things already. They really went above and beyond with virtually everything they did, even with the constraints placed by trying to develop a life sim around the early/mid 2000s.

But again, I think the key thing is TS2 developers knew gameplay was more than just animations tied to objects; it's also the substance behind those visuals. When you see packs like Island Living, $40 retail, advertising watching your Sim go on a sail boat from point A to B in a pond-sized "ocean" as gameplay, you know Maxis is doing something wrong.
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    For me gameplay is doing fun activities with my Sims. Island Living and Snowy Escape are my favourite packs because of the fun activities. I have a lot of fun playing mermaids, building sandcastles, collecting seashells, and swimming in the ocean. For me Island Living adds a lot of gameplay. Now I can have my toddlers do something fun too (play in the sand, build sandcastles, and play in the ocean). Snowy Escape also added a lot of fun gameplay for me. I have a lot of fun having my Sims snowboard and really like that it's on an actual mountain with plenty of options on how they go about snowboarding down the mountain. This is way more fun than a halfpipe. I also enjoy the sledding and hiking. I really enjoy watching my Sims do fun activities.

I never really took note of whether the Sims have unique personalities or not (too busy doing fun activities), but I would like to have likes/dislikes, favourites, interests, and hobbies for my Sims. So long as I can choose what they are.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    It's hard to describe without seeing it in practice and knowing through playing it that it works. What I can vaguely say I think I want is, largely:

1) gameplay that is more interactive (not big on watching my sims do stuff)

2) autonomy/behavior that is more varied/distinct and maybe just in general, a bit less hyper. by that I mean, like, sims don't necessarily need to be jumping around doing something hyperactive constantly if they are simulating real life. real people are not on the move all the time. they do uninteresting human things like sit and think, get distracted, take their sweet time to get to something. And yet, some are more hyper than others and more restless in general. Having more of a range of behavior in this kind of way would probably go a long way in making sims more distinct.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    To me gameplay is:
    1) feeling of unique personalities (through different traits, wants, different reactions to what happens to them & autonomy actions, favorites)
    2) more interactions & various functional objects, activities that differ more
    3) more storyprogression around you (feeling like npcs are also livng lives, go to work, to school at their respective hours)
    4) immersion (car pools, school buses, more activity in your neighbours, service npcs, etc.)
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2021
    What you describe is not the only gameplay to me, but it is indeed where the Sims 4 is lacking. Let's call it core gameplay. Due to the lack of uniqueness, all Sims are feeling the same. When TS 4 was released, I created my favourite couple from TS 2 and was ready to play with them - I couldn't. I wasn't able to nail it back then, but I'm fairly sure by now that it was because they did not show any distinct personality when I played with them.

This is as true for communication between different Sims as it is for reacting to a Sim's experience.

Things that were a viral part of why Sims formerly felt so unique are:

- interests
    - attraction system
    - favourites (color/food/etc)
    - memories
    - dislikes
    - fears
    - meaningful whims
    - unique animations tied to all of the above - it really doesn't make a difference to have a ton of different interactions if enthuse about favourite author uses the exact same animation as enthuse about the new app your Sim just created,
    and - for me first and foremost:
    - the whim system being used to affect a Sim's overall feeling. I hardly ever bought something fot the aspiration points in the Sims 2, but the fact that a Sim was feeling better when he had fulfilled his whims and not fulfilled any fears - and of course the opposite - and this status being open to changes anytime was what made the game for me. That also was one reason why I never was happy with TS 3.
    Post edited by 83bienchen on
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited January 2021
    To me, gameplay in the Sims series is about adapting to the unexpected. In The Sims 4, however, the only time that I was actually thrown for a loop was as a result of a really weird...bug. Otherwise, there was never a reason for me to stop, to reassess, to take a detour, or to change the course of my Sims' lives altogether. The surprise factor has even been removed from in-game death.

TS4 is so aggressively benign that the Sims' personalities have been scrubbed clean and there is no conflict between opposing personality types -- which was one of my favorite types of challenges within the game.

Unfortunately, the series has evolved from a game into something that is more of a digital dollhouse. Unfortunately, it took a long time for me to realize that it is that way by design and that it is never going to change.

Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited January 2021
    83bienchen wrote: »
    What you describe is not (the only) gameplay to me, but it is indeed where the Sims 4 is lacking. Let's call it core gameplay. Due to the lack of uniqueness, all Sims are feeling the game. When TS 4 was released, I created my favourite couple from TS 2 and was ready to play with them - I couldn't. I wasn't able to nail it back then, but I'm fairly sure bynow that it was because they did not show any distinct personality when I played with them.

This is as true for communication between different Sims as it is for reacting to a Sims experience.

Things that were a viral part of why Sims formerly felt so unique are:

- interests
    - attraction system
    - favourites (color/food/etc)
    - memories
    - dislikes
    - fears
    - meaningful whims
    - unique animations tied to all of the above - I really doesn't make a difference to have aton of different interactions if enthuse about favourite author uses the exact same anymation as enthuse about the new app your Sim just created.
    and - for me first and foremost:
    - the whim system being used to affect a Sims overall feeling. I hardly ever bought something from the aspiration points in the Sims to, but the fact that a Sim was feeling better when he had fulfilled his whims and not fulfilled any fears - and of course the opposite - and this status being open to changes anytime was what made the gam for me. That also one reason why I never was happy with TS 3.

That's it for me.
    I am really disappointed in Whims. Sentiments would have been a perfect opportunity to bring back whims in a better way.
    Sims now feel these sentiments, now what do they want to do about it? A whim should show what they want to do about it.

Instead I have to role-play it:
    Sim A made Sim B happy. Sim B now want to repay that with a gift. Or send them a happy text which will in-turn spawn an invite to go out.

I recently put in some chemistry and attraction mods. This what the game should have been like from the beginning.
    I wrote about some interesting incidents that I experienced after installing my mods.
    Copying them over:
    CK213 wrote: »
    I am experimenting with mods.
    I put in an Whims Overhaul mod, Personality Please, Chemistry, No Environmental Moodlets, and Wonderful Whims (Attraction Mod).
    It's like the game had a lobotomy and suddenly has all the brain damage repaired.

Sims are pulling socials I've never seen them autonomously perform before.
    One of the dormies has been a noticeable source of drama with another dormie.
    It's been fun trying to keep the peace, but it's not happening so much to be annoying.

Personality actually feels like it matters and I am well aware of bad matches.
    Whim game play is better, but I still wish there were more personality driven whims.
    I am getting more lot type and object driven whims, but at least I am getting some relationship/social whims.

And it feels like the good old days where stuff that you weren't expecting would happen.
    These two were outside. I invited everyone from the dorm to hangout at the student commons, but had not earned enough club slots to add these two. So they just sat outside talking.
    12_24_20_6_39_12_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And then Zayden pulled a prank.
    It's not really in his traits, so the game must have made him the dorm prankster.
    12_24_20_6_39_51_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Breceida had had enough of it.
    12_24_20_6_40_06_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Other than canned events and weird holidays, I have never seen two sims brawl because one could not stand the other until I put in my mods.
    12_24_20_6_41_00_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I sent Cassandra Goth out to try to patch things up.
    She's actually been trying to hook Zayden up with a couple of the dormies.
    12_24_20_6_43_14_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

12_24_20_6_45_29_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Not happening.
    12_24_20_6_45_13_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

12_24_20_6_47_07_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Another incident happened while Zane was doing his homework.
    This stranger walked in the dorm, with silly townie clothes and I made her over to how she looks now.
    The Wonderful Whims mod said Zane found her extremely attractive.
    12_26_20_1_28_22_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But once he introduced himself, the Chemistry mod basically said, RUN AWAY!
    The Chemistry mod looks at Traits and Skills that you set and determines how well sims should get along.
    I found it interesting and started playing with the Persuasion game play from the mod.
    12_26_20_1_56_00_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Krystal is a Greedy sim, so Zane was faking being Greedy to score higher relationship points with her.
    And then Zayden walks by and she lights up.
    12_26_20_1_54_45_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So I had Zane ask Krystal did she want to meet Zayden.
    And she was like: "Heck yeah, I want to meet Zayden."
    12_26_20_2_41_49_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It was getting late and I was going to have Zane tell her goodbye, but I changed my mind.
    Let her stay here and sees what she does.
    12_26_20_2_42_16_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

What she did was get all flirty with Zane.
    12_26_20_2_43_36_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Hey, where did Zayden go?
    12_26_20_2_44_06_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I did put in a mod called Have more personality please.
    I swear EA must have created NPC socials to be as boring as possible, because since installing this mod, sims are pulling socials that I have never seen them pull before. Maybe they only pull a few base-game socials.

Probably some of them should be blacklisted, but you do have some funny situations and instead of boring routines.
    While my sims were in their college prep dorm (not University), someone must have dared Olivia to go Streaking. She rose to the challenge.

I mean it was funny, but whoever the sim was that dared her to do it, that kind of stuff should be in their nature to do so.
    12-31-20_1-15-11_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

12-31-20_1-16-57_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

12-31-20_1-18-28_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

All these game features should combine in interesting and surprising ways.
    That's what I consider emergent game play.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    Cynna wrote: »
    To me, gameplay in the Sims series is about adapting to the unexpected. In The Sims 4, however, the only time that I was actually thrown for a loop was as a result of a really weird...bug. Otherwise, there was never a reason for me to stop, to reassess, to take a detour, or to change the course of my Sims' lives altogether. The surprise factor has even been removed from in-game death.

TS4 is so aggressively benign that the Sims' personalities have been scrubbed clean and there is no conflict between opposing personality types -- which was one of my favorite types of challenges within the game.

Unfortunately, the series has evolved from a game into something that is more of a digital dollhouse. Unfortunately, it took a long time for me to realize that it is that way by design and that it is never going to change.

Yes, that is a good one. I do miss the surprises that came with Sims 2. I have had some crazy things happen to me in that game. In this game, nothing ever alters my sims lives unless I make something happen.
    @83bienchen and @CK213 You guys are definitely on to something too with the whims system. I have to be honest, I turned whims off because they felt so useless. I have turbo's attraction system in the game. I may look at some of the other mods @CK213 mentioned if it will make the whim system more interesting.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I hope when EA revives the whim system, they will also add to it so that Sims will get a negative moodlet (sad, unconfortable, furious or bored) from not earning a certain amount of whim bucks in a certain time span and a positive moodlet (inspired, happy, energized, focused) from doing so. That would be super cool!

The tuning could be done as a commodity that gets affected with every whim fulfilled.

If there were any accessible tuning files for the effect of whims, I would have modded it myself, but sadly the whim system is hardly accessible.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2021
    I just wanna say that I really agree on what your saying @keekee53 @Yautagirl @Triplis and @83bienchen !

LACKING DEPTH SIMS 4
    I think that one big thing with the lack of depth comes from the sims shallow personalities. The traits needs to be fixed and I also think that we need a foundation to the personality like a temperament system (point system like in sims 1 & 2) in addition to the traits. A sim should be able to have a temperament of being more or less (e.g.) Introvert / Extrovert but also have traits like: easily-impressed, snob, hot-headed.
    The existing trait system could work as a “spice” to a temperament and deepen it, but does not work by itself. I mean you just have 3 slots and your sim can end up like: Music lover, Dance machine & Vegetarian. Wow, but that’s 2 hobbies and a diet, not a personality!

PERSONALITY IMPROVEMENTS
    1. Add a section for diet (+1 slot: Omnivore / Vegetarian / Vegan)

2. Attraction system + Favorites/Dislikes + Talents/Inabilities (hobby system) would be great add ons to the game.

3. Add a Temperaments system (point system) as an addition to the existing trait system. It could be a scale of 1-10 (sims 1 & 2) or just a scale of 1-6 (E.g: 1. Very Sensitive 2. Sensitive 3. A little sensitive => 4. A little Rational 5. Rational 6. Very rational).
    1 points of SENSITIVE (very Sensitive) = most affected by the SENSITIVE trait => most SENSITIVE moodlets & personality benefits/disadvantages.
    Personality_%26_Aspiration.png
    1. SENSITIVE - RATIONAL
    SENSITIVE (1-5)
    *Faster increasing skills: Creativity skills, Pet skills, Life skill
    *Increased performance in following careers: Therapist, Doctor, creative careers
    *Decreased performance in following careers: Detective, Law, Military, Secret agent
    *Easier to gain sentiments
    *Easier to get the "shared sadness" moodlet (from seeing a loved one suffer, sentiments system)
    *Collects higher negative life points from negative experiences LIFE STRUGGLES PACK
    *Collects higher positive life points from positive experiences LIFE STRUGGLES PACK

RATIONAL (6-10)
    *Faster increasing skills: Logic skills
    *Increased performance in following careers: Detective, Law, Military, Secret agent
    *Decreased performance in following careers: Therapist, creative careers
    *Harder to gain sentiments
    *Harder to get the "shared sadness" moodlet (from seeing a loved one suffer, sentiments system)
    *Collects lower negative life points from negative experiences LIFE STRUGGLES PACK
    *Collects lower positive life points from positive experiences LIFE STRUGGLES PACK

LIFE STRUGGLES PACK
    *If having a very “negative childhood” +high point in SENSITIVE = risk of developing Sensitive maniac trait (van Gogh)
    *If having a very “negative childhood” +high points in RATIONAL = risk of developing Rational maniac trait (mad scientist/John Nash)
    2. INTROVERT – EXTROVERT
    INTROVERT (1-5)
    *Decreased performance in following careers: Entertainer, Comedian, Actor
    *Faster decreasing energy bar around unknown/acquaint sims
    *Slower decreasing social bar
    *Intovert moodlets: Overwhelmed introvert (decreasing energy bar, from socalization), Shy (harder to socialize with unknown sims)
    *Higher risk of getting the Social anxious moodlet (when low points in Self-Esteem) LIFE STRUGGLES PACK
    *More negative feelings/moodlets around new/unknown sims
    *Tend to get less/no whims about parties/social events/getting to know new sims/attention
    *Tend to get more fears (whims) about making a fool of themselves/social embaressment/to be in the centrum of attention

CAS Traits only available for INTROVERT: Loner
    CAS Traits not available for INTROVERT: Outgoing

EXTROVERT
    *Increased performance in following careers: Entertainer, Comedian, Actor
    *Faster increasing skill: Charisma
    *Slower decreasing energy bar around unknown/acquaint sims.
    *Faster decreasing social bar
    *Extrovert moodlets: Exited extrovert
    *Easier to socialize with new sims
    *More positive feelings/moodlets around new/unknown sims
    *Tend to get more whims about parties/social events/getting to know new sims

CAS Traits only available for EXTROVERT: Outgoing
    CAS Traits not available for EXTROVERT: Loner
    3. PLAYFUL - SERIOUS
    PLAYFUL(1-5)
    *Faster increasing skills: Creativity skills, Comedy skills
    *Increased performance in following careers: Creative careers, Babysitter career (part time job)
    *More often playful and inspired emotion/moodlets
    *Faster Bored or Tensed when performing serious actions (e.g. studying)
    *More whims with playful actions, less whims with serious actions

CAS Traits only available for PLAYFUL: Goofball

SERIOUS(6-10)
    *Slower increasing skills: Creativity skills, Comedy skill
    *Decreased performance in in following careers: Creative careers, Babysitter career (part time job)
    *Increased performance in following careers: Astronaut, Business, Detective, Law, Salary person, Politician
    *Easier to fail with jokes
    *Easier to get other sims gain the moodlet “bored” from a conversation with your sim
    *Easier for other sims to gain the sentiment “reliable” about your sim (=easier to convince someone)
    *Slower Bored or Tensed when performing serious actions (e.g. studying)
    *Increased fun bar from performing serious actions (e.g. studying)
    *More whims with serious actions, less whims with playful actions

CAS Traits not available for SERIOUS: Goofball
    4. IMPULSIVE – REFLECTIVE
    IMPULSIVE(1-5)
    *Tend to change their whims (positive & negative) more often
    *More impulsive whims
    *Can become tensed when sedentary for a longer period of time
    *Tends to get more smaller whims with smaller rewards
    *Faster Bored when performing repetitive actions / from repetative interaction & conversation
    *Faster Bored with long-spun actions (e.g. short attention span, bored when doing a homework that take a long time to do).
    *Will autonomously do more impulsive actions and jump through different actions (doing some homework ->now playing a game on the phone -> now start learning this new skill /etc)
    *Harder to get and remain Focused from actions (e.g. playing chess)
    *Impulsive moodlets: Excited!
    * Easier to get the moodlet Life feels meh (+1 Bored and Decreasing Meaningfulness points).
    *Rapidly changing temperament: Tend to more easily become agitated/excited/scared/etc, and more mood swings

REFLECTIVE (6-10)
    *Tend to change (refresh) their whims (positive & negative) less often (will stick with their whims for a longer period of time)
    * Will be able to see one/several of the tasks from the Quest want before accepting the quest
    *Less/no impulsive whims
    *Tend to get more “bigger” whims with bigger rewards
    *Easier to get Focused from actions (e.g. playing chess)
    *Will autonomously stick with their routines (no new impulsive actions), will stick with their actions for longer periods of time
    *Smooth/even temperament: less mood swings and "freak outs"
    5. PERSISTENT – UNMOTIVATED
    PERSISTENT(1-5)
    *A persistent sim that failing with a Quest want or a whim that you have locked (=by removing it or by completing the opposite fear) will get a bigger decrease in Self Esteem points and Meaningsfulness points and tend to get the same whim instant afterwards
    *Bigger increased Meaningsfulness points when completing a Quest want or a whim that you have locked
    *Decreased Meaningsfulness points when failing with a new years resolution (SEASONS EP).

CAS Traits only available for PERSISTENT: Ambitious
    CAS Traits not available for PERSISTENT: Lazy

UNMOTIVATED(6-10) (Example: Bob Panncake!)
    *Smaller loss in Meaningsfulness points when failing with a Quest want or a whim that you have locked
    *If you have a Quest want or a whim that you have locked for a longer period of time without completing it => the sim will get the negative moodlet LET ME GO! and tend to get whims with: UNLOCK THE WANT! / LET ME GO! (=> urging to the player, because of low motivation)

CAS Traits only available for UNMOTIVATED: Lazy
    CAS Traits not available for UNMOTIVATED: Ambitious
    #FixThePersonalities

4. LIFE STRUGGLES PACK
    Collect Negative & Positive points from life experiences and develop Childhood traits & Life traits (e.g. Narcissistic, Naive, Spolied, Unlucky). Develop and remember Struggles and life experiences. Negative / Positive / Neutral childhood. Therapy +active Healer / Therapist career (return of the therapist from sims 2!). Self-Esteem system and Meaningfulness system (similiar to the aspiration system in sims 2).
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/986200/life-struggles-pack-updates-sims-4-memory-system-consequences-wants-fears-personality-overhaul

5. MEMORY SYSTEM + MEMORY MOODLETS
    Sims are now going to remember their memories and will at random get a moodlet with the memory (eg. ”Simsis was born”) that have the same moodlet as back then (e.g. “+1 happy”). This moodlet will give them the interaction to "share memory" with other sims that are included in the memory (e.g. parents can share a memory of a child birth). This will make the other sim remember = trigger their memory moodlet.
    MTS_DiLight-1487502-6YVMaeidbFI.jpg
    *Green X = Positive memory from: positive sentiments/events (positive life/childhood points).
    *Red X = Negative memory from: negative sentiments/events (negative life/childhood points
    *Yellow X = Redefined memory (earlier positive memory that has changed temporarily after gaining a negative sentiment, will give a negative moodlet)
    *Orange with a “!”-symbol!X = a Struggle LIFE STRUGGLES PACK
    *Golden with a “!”-symbol!X = a treated Struggle LIFE STRUGGLES PACK

*No met mystery sim or visited the park/library/shop -kind of memories
    *Focus on bigger events instead: had a baby (name of the baby), got married / divorced, become best friend with (sim_name), got scholarship (and which), got a job / retired (which career), had a negative / positive / neutral childhood LIFE STRUGGLES PACK, had a million simoleans, become boyfriend/girlfriend, etc...

Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2021
    LACKING GAMEPLAY SIMS 4 @keekee53
    I think sims 4 is often lacking gameplay because there are too little game features in it. It´s too much of playing with dolls. Yeah I understand that you can make up your own story in your head… but that’s the problem, it’s just in your head and doesn’t affect the game. I really want more game features, challenges and consequences when I play (and an option to toggle this on/off for those who want that kind of game).

GAMEPLAY IMPROVEMENTS
    I really agree @83bienchen on what you say about the sims 2 system. Whims should be affecting your sims overall wellbeing not just give you points. Why not implement a Meaningfullness system and a Self-esteem system in sims 4? Maybe something similar to the sims 2 aspiration system, but updated? Fulfill positive / negative whims (want & fears) and gain / lose Meaningfullness points + Self-esteem points. A low / high Meaningfullness bar & Self-esteem bar will give your different moodlets and consequences.

1. MEANINGFULNESS SYSTEM
    95949_original.jpg
    Similar to the aspiration bar in sims 2. Fulfill positive / negative whims (want & fears) and gain / lose Meaningfullness points + Self-esteem points. Each Meaningfulness level will give your sim specific moodlets.

1. Prosperous (positive moodlet +2, Constant and slow increase in Self-esteem points, different positive moodlets)
    2. Satisfied (positive moodlet +1)
    3. Ok
    4. Down (negative moodlet -1)
    5. Distressed (negative moodlet -2, Risk of getting mental break-downs, Risk of getting the negative Fundamental moodlet (will last a few days, can´t be removed and affects all your other moodlets): Depressed = lower the effect of all positive moodlets, constant and slow decrease in Self esteem, reduces energy bar faster, getting exhausted from work out faster, lower learning abilities and shorter times with focus).

2. SELF ESTEEM SYSTEM
    10.png
    Similar to the reputation system (Get Famous, uses the same design).
    Self-esteem, high level (1-3): believe in their ability, easier to get promoted, easier to socialize, more positive emotions/moodlets, faster increase of Meaningfulness points).
    Self-Esteem, low level (5-7): often doubt their ability, harder to get promotions, harder to socialize, more negative moodlets/emotions (shame/embarrassed about their self, anxiety, insecure), faster decrease in Meaningfulness points), risk of getting negative Fundamental moodlets (will last a few days, can´t be removed and affects all your other moodlets): Anxious or Self-Doubt.
    1. Hubris
    2. Proud
    3. Good Self-esteem
    4. Ok
    5. Low Self-Esteem
    6. Dissatisfied
    7. Self-contempt

3. UPDATED WHIMS (WANTS & FEARS) + QUEST WANTS
    1. More whims at the same time (not just 3)

2. Both negative & positive whims (want & fears)

3. Whims affecting Satisfaction points + Self Esteem system + Meaningfulness system

4. Whims from Sentiments / Relationships / Lifestyles / Hobbies system / Attraction system / Favorites & Dislikes

5. Whims from a chosen Life direction (lifelong aspiration that can be changed at any time) +Quest want:
    8rwn35j5bv0z.png
    You can have up to 3 different directions (aspirations) ongoing at the same time. The directions will give your sim negative & positive whims (want & fears), complete and gain / lose Satisfaction points + Meaningfullness points + Self-esteem points. You will also get an button for a Quest want. Click on this button to get assigned to a quest (the quest is based upon your chosen directions, is time limited and include several tasks). At the end of your sims lifetime, their tombstone will show what direction your sims found as most important (what directions their mostly picked) and what direction your sim was mostly successful in. You can change your sims directions at any time.

Pick 3 directions from following categories:
    (They can all be from the same category or from different categories):
    1. Family 2. Romantic 3. Pleasure 4. Career 5. Money 6. Popularity 7. Knowledge
    8. Power 9. Hedonism 10. Goodness 11. Spiritual & Personal development
    12. Health & Wellbeing 13. Vanity 14. Evilness 15. Criminality 16. Nature 17. Animals & Wildlife
    18. Travel & Experiences 19. Interest & Hobbies 20. Random
    (you will have the possibility to choose which directions to randomize from if you don´t want all of them)

A sim that goes for a longer period of time without completing any...
    *Whims will get the moodlet Life feels meh (+1 Bored and Decreasing Meaningfulness points).
    *Quest wants will get the moodlet No direction in life (+1 Tensed and Decreasing Meaningfulness points).

FROM THE LIFE STRUGGLES PACK (Self Esteem system & Meaningfulness system)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/986200/life-struggles-pack-updates-sims-4-memory-system-consequences-wants-fears-personality-overhaul

4. PERK POINTS & REWARDS
    One thing that I like with the Perk points is that it’s a game feature. The problem with the perk system is that you after a while will end up with an a lot of useless perk points when all rewards / perks are bought. (I still haven’t found out what you do with your influence points after you activated 4 NAPs???). I think that when they add something like the perks system they also need to make it into a circular system where you always can make use of your points (like with the satisfaction points = you can always buy an emotion / increase needs potion for your sim or give away as a gift).

5. SCOUT BADGES SYSTEM
    I do really like the scout badges system (SEASONS EP) for some occasions. This could be used in something like an Education pack (grades system for Regular school / Home schooling).
    Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • SimmerBecca4481SimmerBecca4481 Posts: 11 New Member
    I completely agree. I really think Sims 4 is great if you are a builder but really lacks in gameplay. I always loved playing the Sims because of the stories you could create and how the Sims had substance and depth. I miss having the ability to make stories, create or customize a neighborhood, the Wants [i]and[/i] Fears, I miss the memory system, I even miss the burglars, and I really miss how things have consequences in the game, like if a Sim get cheated on they would steal your newspaper or knock down your trash. I will say I think Sentiments are a step in the right direction but I don’t feel like the resources and energy in the Sims team are being allocated correctly. I don’t like the emphasis on emotions because it’s like saying people are completely and utterly driven by emotions alone which I personally don’t agree with. I thought the Sims 3 did a better job with moods and Sims 2 just completely excelled at it all.
    For me personally I am just disappointed in the content the Sims 4 team puts out. I feel like each new expansion or pack or kit is only playable for a few hours and is a cash grab. I found myself so disappointed in the games that I was spending so much money on these expansion with the mindset of “oh, this will make the game better,” but after a few hours it returned to being unplayable for me.
    I honestly uninstalled the Sims 4 and just decided to pick it back up once the gameplay has been fixed or just completely drop it and wait and see what Sims 5 can offer. This is really disappointing to me because I really want to support the Sims franchise. I started playing the original Sims (some people call it Sims 1) when I was seven years old, and my sisters and I use to save up our allowance to purchase each expansion and new Sims games as they came out. But for me I’m just not getting anything out of the Sims 4 and I just can’t spend anymore time and money on it.
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    Gameplay to me is the stuff I have control over and get the out come I want. Or at least as close as possible. When I make my sim cheat, they should have some reaction knowing full well they didn't try for baby with their partner. When I make a daughter go to university and she visits her parents, they shouldn't get mad when she sleeps in her old room or makes something to eat. The AI doesn't understand basic relationships. No, you won't have a pleasant conversation with someone you declared enemy.