Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kitchen Remodel Ideas for Tinkknitz

cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
edited May 2017 in The Sims 3 Builders
@Tinkknitz uploaded her home here and asked for remodeling suggestions for the kitchen that were wheel chair accessible.

Here's the overview of what I did:
screenshot_original.jpg

And here's a sim view:
screenshot_original.jpg

This was made in my game with no EPs installed, so originals made have changed in the install.
Post edited by ciane on

Comments

• Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Do you have a before shot to show us, perchance?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Do you have a before shot to show us, perchance?

You know I have to delete pics from my limited media section to upload another pic and I get a law of diminishings returns with that. So I have to delete two pics to upload one. And, it's really hard to know which ones to delete since I can't compare to the threads where I used them before. But I can tell you what I did:

I played with the kitchen this morning and made these changes: 1. Take out one wall in front of the computer (sliding the computer desk closer to the wall), making a diagonal opening into the kitchen. 2. Take out the trim on both sides of the cabinet between the fridge and stove, sliding both the fridge and cabinet closer to the stove. 3. Move end cabinet against the wall next to the microwave. 4. Move china cabinet to that same wall between cabinets and corner. 4. Move table and chairs out of window space so short table edge is against wall just before window space. 5. Place cart in front of window space. 6. Place open shelves where cart was. 7. Replace cupboards with shelves. 8. Move the hanging pot rack over the stove.

So, the kitchen wasn't changed other than the aforementioned steps. The baker's rack took the spot of the cart that is front of the window nook now. The table and chairs were in that window nook. The china cabinet was on the wall that the table touches now. And that last cabinet swung out into the room in a U shape rather than the L shape there now. Also, there were cupboards and that hanging pot rack was over the last cabinet that came out into the room. And, the computer desk in the other room centered on three walls rather than the current two.

• Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Nice :) and Ooh! where is that cart from??

One additional thought, as it looks like you have stuff back beyond base game, perhaps using a stand-alone sink that a wheelchair could fit under could also be a good addition to the changes you already made.
  • Options
    That's a great idea along with possibly lowering cabinet heights by removing the base boards!
  • Options
    tinkknitztinkknitz Posts: 1,278 Member

Well, things are moving quickly, and we are quite excited! We meet with the contractor likely to get the job in a few hours. I hope I can keep the router and computer free of dust - enough to run The Sims during all this. I will try to keep this thread alive.

@ciane, we loved your idea to make a corner entrance, but the wall at the desk is load bearing. A load bearing wall is reinforced and under a major beam that supports the roof. That translates to Expensive.

I intend to show the progress as best I can. I have brain issues and have forgotten how to post screenshots. I am off to the Creative Corner I guess.

What do I put for a signature once I have been gifted so much that I own The Store? anybody? Bueller?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I did wonder if it was a load bearing wall or not. I was hoping you could shave off some, but I can see that can't happen. So, you'll have to knock out some of the living room wall and redo some electrical stuff in the kitchen. Good luck!

I guess my next step would be to move the fridge to the spot where I had moved that one cabinet.
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey everyone!

As this thread had been inactive since 2017, I'm closing it as per our necroposting rules.

Thanks,
    Leeloo
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top