Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the Sims 4 truly harder to mod for then Sims 3?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
edited December 2014 in General Mods Discussion
Was catching up on my mods for the Sims 4 (for tomorrows patch) and one website (Sims 4 Stuff n Things) I visit that hosts a color wheel mod for custom content has "closed up shop" because and I quote:

It was fun while it lasted. Actually, it was a pain in my 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

Modding and writing modding tools for TS3 was fun, modding and writing modding tools for TS4 was just a major pain in the 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

I haven't really bothered or looked into personally modding the Sims 4 yet (though tempted) but I was wondering if this was true? I'm curious because I recall too that the Guru's claimed that the Sims 4 would be easier to mod for...and it would certainly explain the lack of certain core mods I expected to see long ago like pose players, ect.

Anybody know if S4 is harder to mod for? What have you heard?

Comments

• Options
    JuanaJuana Posts: 840 Member
    There's a modding forum for this. :)
    You've actually posted quite a few threads in the wrong forum, this link might help you out:
    - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/forums.thesims.com/en_US/
    - just a head's up, I didn't know about all the other forums either til someone told me. I was wondering where a lot of my threads went.
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited December 2014
    Post edited by TOLKIEN on
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    edited December 2014
    I look around for moding. The main problem I have is the lack of documentation.

And proper tools. I can't believe that EA is doing this manually.

Can't compare with sims 3 though.
  • Options
    JenJenGamingJenJenGaming Posts: 102 Member
    it's pretty easy, The resource file is already there in the mods folder, all you do is dl the mods, then put them in the mod folder. easy-peasy
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    it's pretty easy, The resource file is already there in the mods folder, all you do is dl the mods, then put them in the mod
    That is not modding it is just downloading mods... the y are talking about creating the mods...
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options
    simmesesimmese Posts: 1,536 Member
    His question was ... is creating/making the Mod harder for TS4 than it was creating/making the Mod for TS3

I dont know the answer though as im not a Mod Creator
  • Options
    pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    The actual post (direct link) quoted in the OP is a little longer than just that quote; one important bit that is missing it "I don’t have the patience or motivation to continue working on a game that doesn’t inspire me."

I can’t very well speak for @granthes but one thing I’m sure about is that he didn't write this because modding TS4 was technically more difficult than TS3, so you shouldn't be afraid of that. I believe it’s a mix of not being very interested in (the current incarnation of) the game and hostility from other tool creators .. it’s very sad that he left, but I understand how one wouldn’t want to pour a lot of time into making tools for a “boring” game only to be bullied. But you also need to see that this quote is by someone who writes (or wrote) tools, not a “modder” in the sense of using said tools to create content; that’s a different perspective.

For me personally, the game itself makes the biggest difference currently, but in a positive way: I never really liked TS3 and most of what I remember about TS3 modding is how tedious and un-fun it was .. what I’ve done for TS4 so far is often technically quite similar, but I find it a lot more rewarding now since the result goes into a game I actually like to play =).

Another positive difference would be the support from Maxis that we have now which I find hugely helpful. Being able to ask about stuff and actually get an answer certainly doesn’t make anything easier per se .. but it saves a lot of time and frustration when it comes to figuring out how things work.

On the downside, the only open-source multi-purpose tool (s4pe) seems to be currently unsupported – I don’t think this was ever the case during the TS3 era. No idea what’s going to happen with that, but it certainly slows down development for everyone when this doesn’t get updated =(.

That’s the only general aspects I can think of, right now .. other than that, whether “modding” is easier or harder depends mainly on what you mean by “modding”. XML tuning for instance is a lot more powerful than in TS3 (i.e. you can do more stuff just by editing an XML), but the editing itself is exactly the same thing for all I remember. Body meshes are more complex but the meshing itself isn’t any different for all I know; object “recolours” seem to be a bit of a PITA since they seem to involve full clones; texturing doesn’t really compare since it’s much more similar to TS2 than TS3 (masked layers vs full textures); scripting I wouldn’t really know but from what I gather it seems more approachable than in TS3; worlds are completely different (there’s no tool for them but OTOH there smaller and more modular, so *if* they get figured out making one world would be a much smaller task all in all than with TS3); and so on and so forth.

To get a better idea what any individual task would involve, you could try checking out some tutorials to see whether it seems feasible for you?
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
  • Options
    _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    There hasn't been a Sims game yet that was as easy for creators to make things for as Sims 4 is this early in. Yes it's probably easier to make things for Sims 2 or Sims 3...*now*. But 4 months into those games creating things for them was not this easy. So, to answer the original question, I would say no, Sims 4 is not more difficult.

All games present a unique challenge and Sims 4 is no different. Luckily, there are tool makers who enjoy that challenge, are inspired to solve its various puzzles, and are focused on making a really great custom content creation tool for the community to have fun with.

If you're looking to get started making things for Sims 4 Sims 4 Studio is a user-friendly tool for making clothes, hair, accessory, wall, and object recolors and you can also make new hair and accessory meshes with it. The team working on it is very excited about Sims 4 and fully supports the tool with tutorials and creator help. Check out what people are currently saying here about the new object recolor feature in this: EA forum thread. :)
  • Options
    livinglifeontheweblivinglifeontheweb Posts: 2 New Member
    I loathe modding on TS4. I tried it on two different laptops, spent two whole hours putting all the RULES of modding together, only to have the script mod stop working in the middle of my gameplay. I went through options to fix it, and finally got to uninstalling and re-installing the game. But thanks to EA, for me, it always takes about 5 hours to download this.. on both of my laptops that I’ve tried to play it on. Actually, this is my third. My head hurts and I have work tomorrow and I just wanted to play sims but it’s so broken, disappointing since I spent the whole 60 on it.
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there! As this thread had been inactive for 6 years, reviving it falls under necroposting. Thus, I'm closing this thread. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top