Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How are you doing?

Comments

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Eh, would be a lot happier if I found my keys tomorrow. I put a rather expensive new battery in my car this year, and not only will it be completely drained if I can't turn my engine over soon, remaining that way can damage it. Not to mention the other keys that were on that chain.
    Just going to try not to dwell on it tonight, and hope they turn up tomorrow. The worst thing is, they might even be in the snow around the car. STamped and scraped around in it, but found nothing.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • NoebaNoeba Posts: 19 Member
    > @PriestessBizarre said:
    > Oh no. :(
    >
    > I'm feeling tired but positive today. I decided to take a slow approach to the holiday break, alcohol-wise. Normally I would spend a number of the nights between Xmas and NYE drinking alcohol - not stupid amounts, but still too much. So today I have stocked up on all kinds of drinks and am dabbling with alcohol-free concoctions. I'm currently drinking mojito-type drinks with no alcohol, just using mint leaves, wedge of lime, soda water, ice cubes and topped with a little ginger ale and a touch of lime juice cordial.
    >
    > Later, I'm going to make a punch-type drink including orange juice, passionfruit pulp, appletiser, soda water - I may throw in some lemon or lime wedges and/or more mint leaves.

I wish you all the best for your little "break" that is huge!

I am a procrastinating, should be writing my thesis at the moment, it's already halfway done but I just can't anymore, it is so tiring. So I look at cute cat pictures and browse the forum since I forbid myself to play the Sims unless I finished...
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    A new variant of covid-19 is sweeping my country. But hey, it's Xmas!
  • SayNoToGnomesSayNoToGnomes Posts: 44 Member
    edited December 2020
    I'm in England and most of the country got put under a Tier 4 Lockdown with 5 hours notice, so essentially everything is closed and we can't see anybody. Oh, and we have an insane number of lorries stuck on the motorway leading to Dover because France has blocked the port, but hey, there's not enough room in my brain to compute Covid AND Brexit. Although, even though my workplace is closed (I work for a certain meatball-filled Swedish flatpack furniture place) we're still going into work to fulfil customer online orders. I'm also a third year history student so I'm keeping occupied (mostly procrastinating) with my dissertation!
  • SayNoToGnomesSayNoToGnomes Posts: 44 Member
    @PriestessBizarre thank you! I hope you're doing well in Australia and I hope quarantine isn't too draining for you.

Unfortunately here in some parts of the UK giving people advance notice of lockdown measures has meant they've stockpiled food and medical supplies, leaving very little for those who don't have the financial means to do so - it's also meant that people have travelled across the country to escape tighter measures and spreading the virus that way :(

I am insanely lucky to have retained my job, my family and my health this year - I hope everyone here is coping and is doing as well as they can during these times.
    Never found my car keys, and am on Day 2 of a migraine that started yesterday with auras (lights) and most disturbingly, loss of vision in certain areas, like I could hold my hand up and not see any part of it, couldn't even tell my fingers were moving. Well, at least that made it feel less bad, not having my keys. Hoping the migraine is gone once I wake, if I can get to sleep.

But as others have noted, am grateful for the many blessings in my life.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    @PriestessBizarre Thank you for the kind words and the good advice. Good news about the car keys: having not found them, I hadn't left the house to go anywhere, so didn't realize that I hadn't found the jacket I was wearing last!

Long story behind why, but hubs and I own, between the two of us, a total of 4 nearly identical L.L. Bean goatskin leather bomber jackets so I was actually hunting through the pockets of the wrong jacket. The one I had one the last time I drove anywhere, had fallen from the peg in the entryway and gotten covered by some winter gear. He found the jacket and voila, keys were in the right lower pocket, where I always keep them. Egg on my face.

And the migraine's fury is mostly spent, so I'm having a large mug of Sierra Nevada IPA. Not to worry, I almost never take pain meds, because I'm allergic to so many of them, so I'm not mixing things that shouldn't be mixed. Did that once with alcohol and muscle relaxants and learned my lesson.

Cheers everyone. You are all over the planet, and we are all here together, in a space, at different times and reasons, but here we are, and it matters. Hoping for a better future in the fullness of time, for everyone.

jzTdulpl.jpg

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Charla97Charla97 Posts: 66 Member
    I think it's nice we can all be here for each other. I hope you are so doing ok!

I'm currently struggling with an infection and keep getting dehydrated. I was in the hospital again yesterday on a drip for hours, but it got me feeling well again so happy that I'm at home again, but worried I'll have to go back soon. But hopefully not.

I'm looking forward to a restful few days now.
    @Charla97 Man, hoping you're going to be okay! An infection that requires hospitalization sounds scary. Stay hydrated and rest well and keep us posted!

xicwqMCm.jpg
    @PriestessBizarre Glad there was a peaceful resolution, though my mind would drift to the additional unlikelihood that he's dead, and you'll hear about it on the evening news. I'm just glad it's winter here...somehow, people here manage to keep themselves to themselves when it's snow and ice out, but on summer nights, like to take their ugly out into the street. Always makes me wonder why it's so possible for everyone to get along when it's cold out, but not otherwise. Maybe tempers flare as temperatures rise?

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @PriestessBizarre looks like you had a "fun" evening.

I live near a primary school and child care centre, and it's also the middle of a hooning area.
    The streets around here have black marks all over them.
    The last couple of nights have had a bit of hooning occurring, though I suspect the cops have been patrolling a little more frequently than usual.
    The reason why I mentioned the child related facilities, is that the hooning also occurs during school term, during the day and it's freaking terrifying. Everyone who lives in the area is worried that one day in the not so distant future, it won't be a stobie pole that is collided with, but a group of small children.

Xmas night had someone leaving black marks on the road, and illegal fireworks being set off, which lead to all the local dogs freaking out.

I feel like I am a strange person. I like wild parties, I am not adverse to people using substances within context, but I also have a social conscience, and respect for my local community. The average residential house is not the place for a wild, loud, late party. Take that sort of thing to a club, or rural, or upmarket (where the houses are further apart). Hooning is fine at a race track, or other suitable venue, but not on public streets. Fireworks are great, but only when locals are forewarned, and are prepared to take care of their pets as required.

Last summer there was a fire near my house, on the school grounds. Someone walking past in the early hours of the morning had flicked a cigarette into leaflitter. Luckily my neighbors was still up and had seen the fire, and I was woken by the fire truck arriving... those things are loud.

I feel like I am in a constant state of chaos, as I rage at the idiots, and have constant concern for the community. I hate people, yet I care about them.

Many of the locals want to beat up the troubled youths who cause a lot of the local problems. But I see things from a different perspective. There are a lot of young people who don't feel like they are a part of the community, they get treated badly, and so behave badly. I suspect many of them have a bad home life, and so more abuse won't make them better. That doesn't mean I like the little poos, but I do have a better understanding of why they behave badly.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    @PriestessBizarre so is it all over now? No one seriously hurt? Because here, when firetrucks arrive and there's no fire, it's usually in company of ambulances (or else firetrucks get there ahead of ambulances) and very often, it bodes very badly for there being a fatality or rescue situation.

Yikes.

@Movotti You're not so strange as all that, I don't think. Or at least, you're not alone. My inner "get off my lawn" grouch, wars with sorrow and empathy for the troubled youth. I was a troubled youth once...never went around stealing or vandalizing, but I did go around looking for trouble a few times, out of sheer pent-up torment. Adults and authority figures were no help...adults WERE the problem! And society doesn't honor, understand, or recognize young people as PEOPLE. They are dismissed, not listened to or believed to be reliable witnesses of their own experiences, denied agency yet held responsible, beseiged by barriers in all directions, routinely denied outlets or real understanding, made to bottle everything up, and medicated into submission. And everything not mandatory, is forbidden.

I should just stop now. Have way too many unpopular opinions about just how rotten a deal kids have in my society and why. But you're right: you can't beat someone into being a happy, well-adjusted citizen. Economic inequality causes widespread misery and lack of good living conditions in the present but also lack of prospects for any better future, which causes hopelessness, desperation, and rage...which causes addiction, self-harm, and violence.

xicwqMCm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top