Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Personality should be the main focus of this game.

Comments

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    @Scobre @bella_goth
    But we have most of those same traits and some different ones that are more specific (We don’t have Serious for instance, but we have serious traits like Bookworm and now Proper). And if the points were in the middle of the spectrum it meant absolutely nothing. Sims on average only had a few extremes once all their points were applied.

Neat OR Sloppy
    Lazy OR Active
    Serious OR Playful
    Shy OR Outgoing
    Grouchy OR Nice

That doesn’t give more of a variety than what we have. Sims felt more similar then (to me) than they do now.

It would be like if they cut our current traits back to 10 and sims just got different combinations of any 3 of those. That doesn’t sound better to me.
    There were more than the extremes with personality points. There was a middle dynamic too to them.
    Really? Could you be more specific? It’s been a while but I played that game a lot.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    @Scobre @bella_goth
    But we have most of those same traits and some different ones that are more specific (We don’t have Serious for instance, but we have serious traits like Bookworm and now Proper). And if the points were in the middle of the spectrum it meant absolutely nothing. Sims on average only had a few extremes once all their points were applied.

Neat OR Sloppy
    Lazy OR Active
    Serious OR Playful
    Shy OR Outgoing
    Grouchy OR Nice

That doesn’t give more of a variety than what we have. Sims felt more similar then (to me) than they do now.

It would be like if they cut our current traits back to 10 and sims just got different combinations of any 3 of those. That doesn’t sound better to me.
    There were more than the extremes with personality points. There was a middle dynamic too to them.
    Really? Could you be more specific? It’s been a while but I played that game a lot.

Here is one example of the degrees of the points and how it affects the game:

Neat- Slob (0-2): So I occasionally leave a pizza box or two laying around, and I don't mind the flies buzzing all over. Why clean up when everyone else is willing to do it?Occasional Cleaner (3-7): When it comes to cleaning up I have a few basic rules. I flush when I'm done, clean up my own junk and take out the trash now and then.Neat-Freak (8-10): I'm known to wash dishes as soon as I'm finished eating. The trashcan's barely full before it's taken out. The paper is recycled as soon as I'm finished reading. And the house is always spotless whenever I'm about.

You can find more description/details here:
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Personality
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • MetaDoeMetaDoe Posts: 9 New Member
    > @Scobre said:
    > There were more than the extremes with personality points. There was a middle dynamic too to them.

I remember my Sims just being kinda bland if a personality stat was in the middle. I'm an odd one out here but I always felt a little bit restricted when it came to the 25 point system, since what if I wanted to make a neat outgoing Sim who was super active and very friendly? Or a shy and grumpy Sim who was lazy and not neat in the slightest? (In Sims 2, ALL 25 points had to be used up, unlike Sims 1 iirc.)

Traits in both 3 and 4 are the complete opposite of perfect but they're what I personally prefer when making Sims, even if the traits in 4 could be boosted (probably by a lot? Lol)
    And I cant edit my posts to fix the quoting mistake I made since I'm new I guess yayyyyyyyyyy
    @Scobre @bella_goth

Neat OR Sloppy
    Lazy OR Active
    Serious OR Playful
    Shy OR Outgoing
    Grouchy OR Nice

Neat- Slob (0-2): So I occasionally leave a pizza box or two laying around, and I don't mind the flies buzzing all over. Why clean up when everyone else is willing to do it?Occasional Cleaner (3-7): When it comes to cleaning up I have a few basic rules. I flush when I'm done, clean up my own junk and take out the trash now and then.Neat-Freak (8-10): I'm known to wash dishes as soon as I'm finished eating. The trashcan's barely full before it's taken out. The paper is recycled as soon as I'm finished reading. And the house is always spotless whenever I'm about.

The 3-7 range is just the default. That’s not “personality”. The extremes show personality.

What would the neat and sloppy descriptions mean if you didn’t see a description for the default? That’s the only reason it’s there.
    edited December 2020
    @Scobre @bella_goth

Neat OR Sloppy
    Lazy OR Active
    Serious OR Playful
    Shy OR Outgoing
    Grouchy OR Nice

The 3-7 range is just the default. That’s not “personality”. The extremes show personality.

What would the neat and sloppy descriptions mean if you didn’t see a description for the default? That’s the only reason it’s there.

I dont think you need to be at an extreme to show personality. Even a more neutral tone is personality too. Is everyone you know either complete neat freak or a utter slob? Inbetween is fine too. The points allow a scale so you can choose to which degree you sim exhibits certain behavior.

edited December 2020
    @MetaDoe
    I think too it also also there to be weaknesses. One thing I dont like about traits is its easy to make a "perfect" person. They can be neat, friendly, family-oriented, kind, attractive etc. For me with limits within the personality point system, there are strengths and weaknesses to a person's personality.

edited December 2020
    @Scobre @bella_goth

Neat OR Sloppy
    Lazy OR Active
    Serious OR Playful
    Shy OR Outgoing
    Grouchy OR Nice

I dont think you need to be at an extreme to show personality. Even a more neutral tone is personality too. Is everyone you know either complete neat freak or a utter slob? Inbetween is fine too.

By the same logic, we have lots more hidden personality traits in the current game. There’s the neat trait, but then there’s the game default for any sim without a neat trait. This would apply to every trait.

What is a personality trait if it doesn’t differentiate us somehow from a neutral place? That neutral place is not personality.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I agree with the user above in their opinion on the ts2 points system. Traits seem like the natural evoultion to personality points, in my opinion. A dev said -prephrased- that the "extremes" in ts2 were the inspiration behind traits, and that the points system had unique animations and effects and such when set to extremes but didnt do much in the middle. So it seems to me like they took the fun parts of the point system and left out what didnt do much. I get that having varying degrees to traits would be prefered to some people like assigning varying levels of degrees to being shy and such, but i am wondering how noticable it could be made if we had such a thing, and how would you implement levels like that to all traits.
    edited December 2020
    @Scobre @bella_goth

Neat OR Sloppy
    Lazy OR Active
    Serious OR Playful
    Shy OR Outgoing
    Grouchy OR Nice

I dont think you need to be at an extreme to show personality. Even a more neutral tone is personality too. Is everyone you know either complete neat freak or a utter slob? Inbetween is fine too.

By the same logic, we have lots more hidden personality traits in the current game. There’s the neat trait, but then there’s the game default for any sim without a neat trait. This would apply to every trait.

What is a personality trait if it doesn’t differentiate us somehow from a neutral place? That neutral place is not personality.

There needs to be a neutral place for there to differentitate otherwise the personality doesnt exist. I guess to simplify sims 2 ways its low - moderate - extreme.

In TS4 its moderate - extreme unless you have the opposite trait (slob). Or perhaps its ends up being about the same?

But youd end up giving sims lets say moderate in niceness to afford the extreme in cleanliness because you only had so many points to spend. Just like in RPG games when creating a character so you arent OP. Like this:

2ef8f452e5e2e907d2d48a6cdc492312.jpg

I dont think there are more hidden personality in TS4. In TS3 the actions of that trait were more pronounced and there were more slots, which allowed more variety. Really my argument within this is TS2 personality system allows more character than TS4 trait system. I do like TS3 trait system however. But I think the best system would be a hybrid of both.

@StrawberryYogurt
    Even if the middle range was a personality type, that is a total of 15 traits in the TS2 personality system. How many do we have in TS4 base game, 38? It’s way more than 15. They should allow for more range of personality.

It’s the implementation that’s not up to par with what was done in TS2. We need traits to have more meaning. We don’t need to scrap the system.

And 3 traits are too few to inform on every aspect of someone’s personality. At least we knew where they stood in TS2 on the neat scale. In TS4, unless they’re neat or sloppy, we just have to assume they’re in the middle. But if they really were a neat freak, that would be one of their traits, wouldn’t it?
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    My idea for TS5 is sort of a hybrid of both personality systems. Each Sim has a set number of personality points depending on their age, and these points can be assigned to as many traits as there are enough points for. You can assign up to five points to a trait, and this affects the strength of the trait- a Sim with five points assigned to the Hot-Headed trait, for example, will act differently to a Sim with only two. When meeting new Sims, your Sim will be more likely to notice the strongest traits first.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
    edited December 2020
    @StrawberryYogurt
    Even if the middle range was a personality type, that is a total of 15 traits in the TS2 personality system. How many do we have in TS4 base game, 38? It’s way more than 15. They should allow for more range of personality.

It’s the implementation that’s not up to par with what was done in TS2. We need traits to have more meaning. We don’t need to scrap the system.

And 3 traits are too few to inform on every aspect of someone’s personality. At least we knew where they stood in TS2 on the neat scale. In TS4, unless they’re neat or sloppy, we just have to assume they’re in the middle. But if they really were a neat freak, that would be one of their traits, wouldn’t it?

Yeah but each sim could only have 3 traits vs the scale of the 5 different aspects a sim in TS2 has. I do like that TS3 allowed for 5 slots. But yeah assuming they didnt have a neat or slob trait they were moderate.

I think a good system in the game could include:
    ▪Personality points
    ▪Traits/Quirks
    ▪Diet
    ▪Attraction
    ▪Natural skills /Hobbies

Something to that measure?

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited December 2020
    Personality points should complement trait system in Sims 5, modifying your sims degree of sloppiness, neatliness, evilness, goodness, in appropriateness and other traits

Evil sims with less personality point spent on it will be less evil, but still enjoys seeing their enemy or stranger suffer, while evil sims who got more point spent on the trait will happy even if their family is suffering. Can steal candy from baby, making their Co workers life hell, slandering other Sims and so on and so forth.

I personally would like if personality points is not restricted to 25 it should be unlimited for players freedom to create the most unique Sims.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    > @izecson said:
    > Personality points should complement trait system in Sims 5, modifying your sims degree of sloppiness, neatliness, evilness, goodness, in appropriateness and other traits
    >
    > Evil sims with less personality point spent on it will be less evil, but still enjoys seeing their enemy or stranger suffer, while evil sims who got more point spent on the trait will happy even if their family is suffering. Can steal candy from baby, making their Co workers life hell, slandering other Sims and so on and so forth.
    >
    > I personally would like if personality points is not restricted to 25 it should be unlimited for players freedom to create the most unique Sims.

Hey yeah, that could work. The classic five areas of neatness, outgoing, activity, playfulness and niceness, but with an additional number of traits that don't fall anywhere in those five categories!
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    MetaDoe wrote: »
    > @izecson said:
    > Personality points should complement trait system in Sims 5, modifying your sims degree of sloppiness, neatliness, evilness, goodness, in appropriateness and other traits
    >
    > Evil sims with less personality point spent on it will be less evil, but still enjoys seeing their enemy or stranger suffer, while evil sims who got more point spent on the trait will happy even if their family is suffering. Can steal candy from baby, making their Co workers life hell, slandering other Sims and so on and so forth.
    >
    > I personally would like if personality points is not restricted to 25 it should be unlimited for players freedom to create the most unique Sims.

Hey yeah, that could work. The classic five areas of neatness, outgoing, activity, playfulness and niceness, but with an additional number of traits that don't fall anywhere in those five categories!

I was just mentioning the trait from Sims 3 actually, it has Neat, Good, Evil, Slob, Innappropriate etc, the personality point could also be used to enhance another traits like Losers, Heavy Sleeper, Mean-spirited, Loner and etc.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Thank you that was it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    The problem with personality in this game is that they put SO MUCH into a poorly implemented emotion system that it overrides anything that would make one sim different from another (there's also just not enough emotions!). Also the limit of only 3 traits? While so many of the traits aren't even worthy of a slot? (Like cat/dog lover for example or the ones from island living). Seeing the list of traits from TS3 compared to TS4 is......................😐😑 not acceptable to be honest.

We need more trait slots, more and better traits (we are missing so many basic traits), and traits that actually influence autonomy more than just a buff like "feeling inspired". I have mean and evil sims and yet it's so hard to keep them from being nice... traits in this game mean next to nothing they really only get emotion buffs and that's it where is the effect on autonomy??

And speaking of autonomy, sims all seem to gravitate towards the same activities. The amount of times my sims have broken the radio because they can't stop dancing every 5 minutes is more than I can even count (and speaking of dancing too much toddlers LITERALLY get sad from dancing too much but it doesn't even stop them from dancing). And don't get me started on the "troll teh forums" interaction I always catch them doing...

The character values from Parenthood are honestly one of my favorite systems in this game because it's a great way to make sims feel different from each other especially since it has a huge effect on autonomous actions. IMO the character values have a deeper effect on sims than their traits do right now. Unfortunately though this only applies to young adults/adults/elders because they only get the associated traits when they age out of teenhood... But I love that there are positive AND NEGAITVE traits associated with the character values we need more negatives in this game everything is too perfect and happy. There are 5 character values and you can get one of two traits for each. That's huge! We need more stuff like that. The "phases" that kids and teens can go through were also a nice touch. They can get annoying sometimes especially when they glitch and you have to use a cheat to remove them but I like the idea. Like the "loud" phase where they like to listen to music loudly and their parents get upset about it haha.

We also need better animations. I understand reusing animations here and there (where they fit! I don't want to see my sims snuggling bugs whos idea was that??) but they reuse animations waaaaaaaaaaay way too much (looking at you snowy escape). I'd buy their "we only have so much budget" excuse if the rest of the game wasn't as shallow and reused/repackaged as it is. Also if they weren't literally EA and the sims wasn't raking in millions of dollars. When sims do the same thing between multiple different activities it really takes me out of the game... So much emotion comes from the animations this is why TS2 has so much personality (like kids running up to hug their parents when they get home from work 🥺 so cute. Or when kids get a bad report card so they crumple it up and hide it lol).

It's also too easy to influence emotions! My sim is confident because they brushed their teeth? Emotions are way too powerful in this game. I'm glad they've nerfed the environment buffs but they need to do more to fix the emotions. I hate how positive emotions stack. The amount of times my sims almost die from hysteria because their needs are full, they're in a well decorated room, the heat is on, and their toddler just did something cute which turns their +whatever happiness into hysterical death territory is too much... It's just too easy to make sims happy in this game in general... So hard to keep my sims sad/angry/tense. It comes back to making this game feel too happy and perfect. I need more negative moods! The sentiments Kind Of help this, but they need some work too. I'm lucky my toddler is clingy so I can immediately get rid of their angry moodlet they have towards their parent because they didn't want to play or something. My toddler has a very strong negative sentiment with their parent who has an adoring sentiment towards the toddler. It was cute for the first interaction like "lol pouty toddler" but it's lasting for over a week. I don't even think toddlers have that long term of a memory haha.

I'm hoping now that they've updated the build mode so much that they'll move onto improving sims. Like idk how much more they could add to build mode at this point but I don't think we need more innovation on it. At least right now. I'm hoping the addition of sentiments and lifestyles (as limited as they are) is an indication that they're gonna continue to improve the sims themselves. And if they don't then we need to keep demanding it. This is a life simulator. The sims actually need to have some Life in them...

Also bring back favorites! It's literally already in the game you just don't get to choose it yourself it's just randomly assigned. They have favorite foods, favorite drinks, whether or not they like fruitcake, left or right handed, even romance preferences. Why can't we choose these things ourselves?? Also please bring back favorite colors... Just let me choose!!!

Sims should also have hobbies again! So they have some things to autonomously gravitate towards..

Lastly, even though I prefer the wants/fear system I'd be fine with whims if they were more related to a sims traits (and hobbies if we had them so I guess skills would have to do here). But they're always the same thing. Even kids get things like "buy a bee box buy a dishwasher" like c'mon! And instead of trying to fix it they just turned it off 😑😑😑 I get mad just thinking about it. Way to make your game even More shallow...
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    If they brought back the Sims 2 personality system and then use traits as additional personality quirks, everything would be so much better. Focus the bulk of sims personalities on a limited set of characteristics that have a meaningful impact, and then the rest of the traits wouldn’t need so much attention.
    filipomel wrote: »
    If they brought back the Sims 2 personality system and then use traits as additional personality quirks, everything would be so much better. Focus the bulk of sims personalities on a limited set of characteristics that have a meaningful impact, and then the rest of the traits wouldn’t need so much attention.

Yep I think a combo of the two would make your sims very individualistic

I really want the memory system revamped too. It really helped individualize Sims and their overall life experiences. Sentiments help, but they are still temporary.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Memories
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    I really want the memory system revamped too. It really helped individualize Sims and their overall life experiences. Sentiments help, but they are still temporary.

Yep memories were really cool. Especially how some people got good or bad memories based on their personality. For ex a romance sim had a bad memory of getting married, but family sims had a good memory. They also helped me keep my storylines together and added lore to peek into of the premade sims. Only i wish some mundane memories from TS2 was removed - like met Goopy Gilsboro. Playing a popularity sim after meeting like 40 people your memories get clogged. And i wish they would introduce more memories too. Or other ways to add custom ones where you can write your own description.

Yep memories were really cool. Especially how some people got good or bad memories based on their personality. For ex a romance sim had a bad memory of getting married, but family sims had a good memory. They also helped me keep my storylines together and added lore to peek into of the premade sims. Only i wish some mundane memories from TS2 was removed - like met Goopy Gilsboro. Playing a popularity sim after meeting like 40 people your memories get clogged. And i wish they would introduce more memories too. Or other ways to add custom ones where you can write your own description.
    LOL I didn't care for Goopy either. Adding custom memories would be really cool.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    BreeNilla wrote: »
    Personalities is my biggest complaint and has been for y e a r s . I've been asking for a Serious/No Sense of Humor trait for so long...I just want a sim that is more stoic. Doesn't autonomously dance or play games on their phone or do funny interactions (or at least do it seldom).

In case it's helpful, there is a Stoic trait mod. I have it in my game, but I found that I actually don't like having my Sims be so stoic.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi there! A quick heads-up: I moved this thread to the Game Feedback section. :)