Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Kind of Houses Do You Build?

I find that lately I always seem to build modernish houses but I feel I would also enjoy traditional homes for different Sims. So it got me thinking what kind of homes do people make?

What Kind of Houses Do You Build? 97 votes

Modern
27%
alexspoom13MLadyAzzerasekojranaYautjagirlLee12321hunniboo1taydevAmz_LouiseSailorCetiboredbeauty111fullspiralkusurusuOnverserEnkiSchmidtSimelaxBreazonabelpitaj1z1SimsSlayAbbyZ 27 votes
Traditional
72%
Akl500Pcrocobauraauroraael14bshag4lvGalacticGalTheSpotted_CSimburianMeteoraStormbabajayneelanorbretonAnmirlaTorieLustianiciaAquariusMomChelleJopeterskywalkerKasanthFluorescentSoapFlexono1ChampandGirlie 70 votes

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Traditional
    I'm really not very fond of houses that look like a converted office building. Most of the "modern" houses seen in commercials these day are a real turn-off for me. They appear sterile, cold and not in the least bit convivial.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Traditional
    I have a hard time making modern buildings for some reason. Maybe something having to do with making them be simple but not too simple? Some of them just end up looking like boxes.
    I'm best at making Victorian, ornate buildings. I also really enjoy making them too.
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited December 2020
    Random. A house I built 2 weeks ago was supposed to look something like the White House, but it ended up looking like a Fortress lol.
    Post edited by Ersa_Middleton on
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Traditional
    Mostly, anyway. It depends what my mood calls for that day.
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Traditional
    Traditional I guess. The homes I build start off as Tier 2 Tiny homes and evolve as the Sim's circumstances develop. The ideal lot size for me is 40x30, actually, it's 30x30 but those are pretty rare and some are in locations that I don't particularly like. My Sims can't all live in Forgotten Hollow.

I've tried to like modern but no.
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    Both and more! I don’t have too many builds up in the gallery yet but I try to make a variety of styles when I do build. I blame this forum for getting me more into game play again though lol (i really love sharing screenshots of my gameplay it turns out) but before I had a community of simmers to interact with, I was getting really into building since game play got old fast. I’d try to do both but I already spend way too much time playing the sims haha
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I have a hard time making modern buildings for some reason. Maybe something having to do with making them be simple but not too simple? Some of them just end up looking like boxes.
    I'm best at making Victorian, ornate buildings. I also really enjoy making them too.

I do agree with this though. I’m making a modern mansion right now and even aside from the daunting task of coming up with ideas to fill the space, I do find that it ends up looking very bare. But I’m determined to finish it eventually since its gonna be really cool. It has a secret sub basement with an apartment and lab for my secret agent sim, only accessible through a hidden passage
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited December 2020
    Traditional
    my favourite types of houses to build and play are dark and fancy old mansions and tiny rather dark family homes

but atm I'm having creative block with those cause I made this huge mansion during halloween for the straud lot in forgotten hollow (which i absolutely love)

and now I can't decide what I want for rest of the village and i keep deleting my builds or moving them elsewhere and its making me crazy :weary:

I've also started building more modern builds and community lots since the platforms update cause i feel those make them look less boring but calling them my favourite would be reach :lol:

well maybe irl i would fancy modern home for easier existence but not in game nah just for townies

i quite like some modern interiors but its the exteriors that make me major blergh and I never know what to do about all the cubes being so... cubey :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I love modern houses in real life, but sometimes my Sims want traditional houses, and so I built those. It just depends upon the Sim.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Traditional
    Modern houses are just not to my own liking.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Modern
    I don't really build much but when I do it's usually some sort of challenge, I build a lot of tiny homes and try to do interesting things with apartments mainly so I guess that fits under modern. I never just build average family homes as I find that so tedious and I'm not great at floorplans or exteriors. Also I like open plan, in basically all my homes the living room/kitchen/dining room is one big room.

Majority of the time when I need a lot to play in I'll look on the gallery, and then I'll just edit a house I find to make it fit my style, that's how I generally build.

I'll share a few screenshots of some of my favorite builds I've done in a spoiler :)
    This build was a challenge 2000 simoleon functional home! I used a lot of debug to make it pretty on a budget.
    09-17-20-4-53-45-PM.png
    This was an apartment balcony that I decorated and I really like!
    09-11-20-11-22-44-PM.png
    This was a Japanese inspired pastel apartment I made
    12-10-20-7-41-59-PM.png
    Another apartment
    08-20-20-3-53-07-PM.png
    An open plan loft apartment (w platforms)
    12-10-20-4-30-06-PM.png
    And you guessed it.. another apartment!
    09-09-20-8-26-00-PM.png

• Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Poorly built ones lol
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Traditional
    Both.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Both. Depends what inspires me at the moment.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Modern
    I actually don’t build but I do download houses. I tend to prefer houses that look traditional but are decorated with a more modern style. I’m not into old fashioned looking furniture. It depends on the family though and what vibe I feel is best for them.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    Both. :)
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Both because I build neighborhoods. There are also more types other than modern and traditional. A part of new crest is full of micro homes and trailers. It depends on the save. In another save NC is all New Orleans style. Oasis Springs is post apocalyptic using the Star Wars pack in one save. In another save it's all Southwestern. In another save it's all modern. I have one save file where all my builds are Christmas related. I have another set in the1800s. Another with 1970s ranch style houses. All of my builds have families that I have played for 2-3 generations. All families have a full written story with pictures that I can view anytime and pull up the save if I want to revisit.

This is an older game. I have 63 save files full of my builds. I usually start a new save when a new pack comes out or I run out of room. A couple of times I started a new save because I was inspired by new build cc that doesn't fit in with Maxis content. Gothic and Greek revival are some examples.

I rarely build in Del Sol Valley (lighting issues and too small for projects) and Windenburg. I only build on the island because the other parts of Windenburg have a bouncy camera that makes me physically ill.
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Traditional
    I build doth, but currently live in a traditional one.

SBeRA8g.png

GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Modern
    In real life I love many and many kinds of architecture, but for actual play in this game I prefer modern. I'm often enchanted by the look of various and sundry other kinds of homes on the gallery, but when I try to play in them, they often feel too cramped to be as enjoyable as I hoped. They still look beautiful, though. :) I don't often build from scratch, instead preferring to renovate to my own tastes and the needs of my sims, but when I do build, it's almost invariably a modern design.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Traditional
    I lean more toward traditional but I have dabbled with modern houses. I love a good modern farmhouse though.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Traditional
    Of those two, I build more traditional. Though I try to build a variety of things. I mostly have traditional builds on my gallery but I have a colonial, a victorian, another traditional, and converted shipping containers in progress currently.

Yesterday and today I've uploaded a tiny (micro) christmas cottage and I uploaded a shell challenge that I hosted of a "tiny" home (99 tiles, so tier 3) and my take on it was more along the lines of a A-frame hybrid - possibly. Oh, and I did my take on a mid-century modern reno of Nookstone (that did make it in the Popular Now section of the gallery, so I was pretty stoked about that).
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Both, I really love Mid Century Modern style houses with the slanted roofs and I actually prefer 1 floor plans so I gravitate towards those when I'm building or downloading. I prefer smallish houses (I never play big families) so normally my houses are just 2 bedrooms. But I live in a craftsman style home in RL so I am also drawn to those and other 2-story traditional American style homes because that is what is common in the area I live.
  • Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    Traditional
    For the most part I'd say traditional, but I do enjoy making the occasional modern home (especially for penthouses like the one in the fashion district). I've also got a handful of mid-century modern homes in the lower end neighborhood of Del Sol Valley that I had a lot of fun building.

Sometimes for my traditional homes I'll use a more modern style for interior decorating as well, like it's an older house that the sims who live there updated. I use the build/buy from seasons All the time, which I classify as "modern rustic" so it kind of fits in most of my builds. Even in my modern builds I like everything still looking and feeling cozy.
  • Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    Modern
    My main sims live in modern (or contemporary) glass boxes. But I have to say, lately, I've been enjoying building "historically". :smiley: