Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What can I do to bring back my love for the game?

I can't seem to stay focused on Sims 3 anymore, which makes me sad. I'm a family player, but I tend to jump into dating and weddings and families within the first week of gameplay. I need to do something different!
Origin ID
HillyPlays
P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything

Comments

• nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I haven't lost interest since I got the Sims 3 and I've played the same way for years. But I like to build. If I'm bored, I start in a new world, rebuild the entire town and then do my families, sometimes I might use a few of the townie ones but not usually. And I do bios for all of them, all intertwined. Some good Sims, some devious sims, some bad. Have a little story going. That's what I do.
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    Take a break, miss it for a while, and come back when you feel inspired. It's like any other creative hobby. Sometimes you're in the zone, and other times you have to step away to find inspiration in something else, like a book or a show or a cool house you saw or a stranger whose face made you think "if I could rotate the nose bridge slightly and lift the jaw... that face would be good."

I find that if I force myself to play when I just don't feel like doing anything, I get frustrated and just nitpick at all the limitations of the game and stop playing. But when I feel inspired, I can still immerse myself like it's 2009 again, play within the rules of this old game, and enjoy myself, whether I'm trying something new or doing what I always do (make all the hot people do it and have da bebbiez).

The problem is, the inspiration never comes when I'm looking for it. It's random, and not usually in the game or even on the forums. You just wait for it to find you and do something else in the meantime.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    @Archivist I've had it uninstalled for two weeks.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited December 2020
    Space out weddings/babies, play a challenge, read too many fantasy, sci-fi, or mystery novels to get yourself into a different zone, or just accept that breaks are alright. I took nearly two years off TS3 and came back feeling refreshed. It'll still be there to install.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    @InfraGreen I'm actually reading a long-awaited book I bought yesterday. Midnight Sun, which is still Twilight, but from Edward Cullen's point of view, not Bella's. I love it!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Is there a reason why you uninstall when you lose interest? For me, having to reinstall whenever the urge to play hits would suck the fun right out of it! I am currently on a longish break from the game but my game is still installed and ready to fire up when I am ready.

My play style hasn't changed since I got the game with the exception of adding small elements from each EP as I add them. I still haven't tried most of what the game offers but have found what keeps me interested. Perhaps a longer break is all you need to bring back the love or try sticking with a challenge from start to finish to at least get a feeling of achievement. Challenges aren't my cup of tea but I know many do enjoy them.
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    I have took a three-week break from The Sims 3 recently as I am preparing myself for Online Courses, but I have three Saves that are ongoing; The Oakley Legacy Save, my Twinbrook Save and my Riverview Save. The latter two Saves are for when I want to take a break from The Oakley Legacy or for when I haven't been in the mood to play The Sims 3. I like to "Shake Up" my Playstyle from time to time. One Save I could spend rebuilding the house, while another Save could have something different.
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    I think a lot of people take breaks. I'll play every day for a month, then suddenly stop. Breaks are okay, just like with anything else in life. Enjoy your book and maybe you'll come back more inspired.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
    @MamaSimTee I've been considering making a couple based off the Twilight characters, but I've done that before. It's been forever since I did that though, so I may do it again. :)
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I am "myself" with my selfsim in my game, and I'm very attached to my sim family. I play on Epic and use MasterController to set the age back to the first day of the Life Stage every now and then, and only age sims up when I feel it's time. I play normal gameplay, and sometimes I make poses and take screenshots. My sim children and grandchildren have their own households that I switch between. It's fun, like an alternative life. :smile: Sometimes I add new sims I've made to the town. Sometimes pets. And I often look for new mods and CC.

It never gets boring. But sometimes I get out of ideas, and then I take breaks for a month or more. No big deal, since I love my sims. :smile:

I don't like challenges or a too fast-paced gameplay, because them I wouldn't get attached to the sims, and they become just game characters instead of "relatives and friends", if you know what I mean. That's what makes Sims so great, the many ways you can play it. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited December 2020
    Cororon wrote: »
    I am "myself" with my selfsim in my game...

Me too...@Cororon, nothing wrong with playing with a self-sim. :) I don't know, but my muse has been going 🤪 with the rewrite of the "Selfacy" and since I'm playing now...I get a new section every so often. Chapter Four is already up to 12 pages (text-only for Fanfiction.net) and playing the game with the story-line makes me get more ideas.

If you're bored with the game, @HillyBeth, it may be high-time to take a break from the game for a little while and see if something clicks after being away from the game for a bit. Maybe play another game or something and eventually that might rekindle your love for Sims.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    There's nothing wrong with taking a break sometimes. Trying to force myself to play just does the opposite for me. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. Read your book, watch a tv series, take up a non-sims project and when you are ready to play again you will have lots of new ideas! :smiley:
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you uninstall when you lose interest? For me, having to reinstall whenever the urge to play hits would suck the fun right out of it! I am currently on a longish break from the game but my game is still installed and ready to fire up when I am ready.

My play style hasn't changed since I got the game with the exception of adding small elements from each EP as I add them. I still haven't tried most of what the game offers but have found what keeps me interested. Perhaps a longer break is all you need to bring back the love or try sticking with a challenge from start to finish to at least get a feeling of achievement. Challenges aren't my cup of tea but I know many do enjoy them.

I still have Sims 2 installed as well. I would re-install The Sims but don't know if it would work with Windows 10.

• StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I get this way sometimes, too. I usually try a new challenge or something I haven't done before in the game. If that doesn't work, I start searching out new lots or worlds or clothes or hair, etc. If THAT doesn't work, then I just take a break until I feel like playing again (That usually happens when I see a gorgeous house around town and immediately have to try and build it in my game, lol). There's nothing wrong with taking a break. I find I love it even more when I come back to it <3
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I took a break 3 years from Sims 3 in early 2017, and replayed again in September seems like I'm playing a totally new game and have forgotten lot of things and it keeps me interested, I'm on a break since 10th when Cyberpunk released and I'm sure I will have as much fun when I start to play ts3 again sometime later.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Ah, C'est l'amour. :D
    Screenshot-145.jpg
    Haruo and River demonstrating...um...uh...osculation. :D

Yeah...that's it.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    osculation

Etymology
    From Latin ōsculātiō (“a kissing”), from osculor (“I kiss”).

Noun
    osculation (countable and uncountable, plural osculations)
    1. The action of kissing
    2. A kiss
    3. A close contact
    4. (mathematics) A contact between curves or surfaces, at which point they have a common tangent
    5. (Vedic arithmetic) Determining whether a number is divisible by another by means of certain operations on its digits.
    6. New word for Cororon

I learned a new word today. :blush:
    cUrfGkA.gif
    Update: I've been considering making new sims with posh-sounding names. :)
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays