Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I wish they'd expand content post-release for packs and not abandon them.

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
edited November 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I REALLY like snowy escape but there are a few things that are missing, for example it would be nice to ride the train up to the mountain or to other neighborhoods. I'd have liked some rabbit holes too around the train station "plaza" (love them or hate them) - BUT what if instead of rabbit holes they changed them to active lots?

THESE are very simply changes that could be included or added within two weeks time of development and testing. Yet NONE of their packs have ever seen further development post release in the sims series.

This has annoyed since they have no problem expanding on the base game with new content, which sells for peanuts but expect us to pay nearly full or equal price for new expansions without seeing them supported in the same way post release.

It would be really nice if Maxis would actually support their expansions by EXPANDING on them rather than just abandoning them to patch updates to fix bugs (which I'm grateful for) since I believe each expansion could have seen some amazing post release content added up or updated with new content over the years.
Post edited by EA_Rtas on

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I wish they would, too. That could promote so much crosspack compatibility and address just as many more issues. Further, it would keep the older packs all that much more relevant. What used to be exclusive is not necessarily so anymore as packs continue to come out.

For example, a big part of CL was festivals and apartments. Although they are in different forms, EL has apartments and SE has festivals.

Same for GTW. The big thing for it was active careers, retail, and aliens. Aliens need an update to be on the same level as other occults, retail could probably use one as well and we have it in other forms like the sales tables and Plopsy, and other packs have active careers even if they are different kinds.

There are many more examples and I, personally, would love for my most disappointing packs to get a rework. (Looking at you C&D.) However, I can see the corporate incentive. Those paid development hours made their profit when the pack was released. Adding more would increase costs and decrease profit. Sad result, but logical reasoning.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Yes the train could have been a fast way to get up to the mountain. I also wish our sims could actually get on the gondelas.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    It would have been lovely to see some updates to the yoga pack for this EP, since they go together so well. Probably too many complaints about 'DLC for DLC' or including items for free that were in other packs.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    I kind of hope that they are working on cars/transportation for 2021 and will make the train interactive with that pack. I think plumbella made a good point in her overview, in that they could have at least made the train a loading screen point. Say, we could click to board the train, have sims disappear and then get a pop up which brings up the map or something. Small things like that would really make the world feel more alive, but ah well.
  • nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    rinre33 wrote: »
    I kind of hope that they are working on cars/transportation for 2021 and will make the train interactive with that pack. I think plumbella made a good point in her overview, in that they could have at least made the train a loading screen point. Say, we could click to board the train, have sims disappear and then get a pop up which brings up the map or something. Small things like that would really make the world feel more alive, but ah well.

That's how the subway worked in Sims 3 Late Night EP iirc, this is a missed opportunity to give the (beautiful) shells in TS4 some life
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    SE needs updated with futon and non-kotatsu low tables!
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    I don't actually understand why Maxis doesn't go back to update the packs with post release content or changes, the only reason I can imagine is that the packs are made by teams that move onto the next project basically just leaving any post updates for bug fixes.

It would be nice if the "main" Sims team in such case would focus on improving, chaning or adding content to all their packs. Especially for the cost they ask of them. In Canada a pack is nearly $55 on Origin - thats almost the price of a full new game ($60).
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    I agree with this. There are several updates that they need to make to expansions. One of the first things I can think of is making it possible to swim or boat in all worlds with major bodies of water. I would like to see them add new types of boats that match the locations. This wouldn't be that difficult because the boats would be a recolor, and modders have proven you can allow swimming in other bodies of water. The train in Snowy Escape and the trolley in Willow Creek should be made functional. Again, modders have done this, so the sims team should be able to implement it. I don't like relying on modders to fix these things. Mods tend to break every time we get an EA patch.

It would also be great if they would update Seasons with more things to do around the holidays. For example, I would've loved for them to give us apple bobbing around Halloween this year and some new decorations. It would be great if they would give us some new items for winter holidays. Another thing that would be cool is if they would update past game packs and expansion packs to incorporate things from the new expansion packs. The expansion packs should actually, you know, expand game play in a substantial way.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    I don't actually understand why Maxis doesn't go back to update the packs with post release content or changes, the only reason I can imagine is that the packs are made by teams that move onto the next project basically just leaving any post updates for bug fixes.

It would be nice if the "main" Sims team in such case would focus on improving, chaning or adding content to all their packs. Especially for the cost they ask of them. In Canada a pack is nearly $55 on Origin - thats almost the price of a full new game ($60).

I think they don't do that because that doesn't make them money, they've already got your money. Going back to add new content to older packs already purchased by players, would cost time and resources but they wouldn't reap rewards from it because a good chunk of players already own those packs and obviously wouldn't be willing to pay more money for the updated/additional items.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited December 2020
    but on the latest survey they asked which packs would people want to see revisited/improved, so devs seem to have the intention. i think the reason they haven't yet is they have very short time between trying to fix bugs and releasing packs. also, they may be afraid of the possible conflict or glitches this changes may give on people's saves, ts4 is very unstable so i guess it's why they are very cautious with what they add to the game. the limited budget ea gives them could also explain it. i don't know really but i think it's a fair explanation given how big are their pack concepts but how much content they end up scrapping from it.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited December 2020
    bella_goth wrote: »
    but on the latest survey they asked which packs would people want to see revisited/improved, so devs seem to have the intention. i think the reason they haven't yet is they have very short time between trying to fix bugs and releasing packs. also, they may be afraid of the possible conflict or glitches this changes may give on people's saves, ts4 is very unstable so i guess it's why they are very cautious with what they add to the game. the limited budget ea gives them could also explain it. i don't know really but i think it's a fair explanation given how big are their pack concepts but how much content they end up scrapping from it.

@bella_goth So far indications show that they use those surveys to actually create new DLC and not improve on the already existing one. One big sign were the Lifestyles and Sentiments. If you remember we did get a survey asking us about new additions to personalities and relationships and having sims who spend a lot of time together gain certain "relationship titles" like brinch buddies etc. These are very similar to what the Sentiments and Lifestyles became. (but to be fair Sentiments were free, only Lifestyles weren't)
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    bella_goth wrote: »

@bella_goth So far indications show that they use those surveys to actually create new DLC and not improve on the already existing one. One big sign were the Lifestyles and Sentiments. If you remember we did get a survey asking us about new additions to personalities and relationships and having sims who spend a lot of time together gain certain "relationship titles" like brinch buddies etc. These are very similar to what the Sentiments and Lifestyles became. (but to be fair Sentiments were free, only Lifestyles weren't)

yeah i remember those options as well, i think we're talking about the same survey, there was an specific option that said something like "which of these packs would you like to get expanded?" i remember it cuz there was get to work, island living, realm of magic and some others and i had a hard time deciding lol
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited December 2020

I would assume cause they're not paid (asked) to do by higher ups. If there's something that hasn't been implemented but shouldn't, it's probably cause they couldn't bothered because of sheer effort in their eyes wouldn't pay off :)

But yeah, annoys me to hell elevators are still not freakin ANIMATED what the heck? It annoys me to the point I feel personally insulted. It glaringly screams LAZINESS when an object that your Sim suppose to walk in with doors opens just fades your Sims from one level to another. Why even bother adding these objects in an expasion pack that it doesn't have full animation on it and not update it? That be the same if stairs teleported your Sim. Speaking of them, why couldn't they build the penthouse as a substite instead? Next thing you know, somebody screws up, spills coffee on the keyboard and says "whoops lol - accidentally removed the animation of Sim pulling cover when going to sleep. Not gonna re-add that cuz time-constrains/technological limitations/incompotence. Though don't worry: a twitter apology is soon to follow. Stay tune! :lol: " Heck, I also remember mentioning that some rabbit holes are entered without doors opening? In-excusable!

If we gonna excuse this kind of implementation and justify it with our wallet, than expect TS5 to be with Sims that poofs on toilets without sitting down, food magically appears on counters without beibg prepared and Sims talking telepathically because budget problems "too hard" is the reason they couldn't animate their lips moving.

The Sims 4, be better! Mods put more dedication and priorities more better than Maxis does and probably will. *Drops Mic*
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    What they actually do is remove features or abandon them. Less Vampire break ins, no whim update, memorie system got downgraded, no bowing at a shrine etc.
    Tiny Living could have more save spacing items and i saw a tweet by a simguru asking for feedback about tiny living, but whats the point of writing feedback or suggestions down, if they never gonna change it.
    It would also be cool if they would announce the dlcs early on instead of beeing suprised. It just seems like they work in their own bubble. Knifty Knitting added a lot of players feedback before it got released.
    I also feel like these surveys are some sort of ad or sneek peek. Its not like they worked on these features after the survey, it was already a thing. But at least the community stuff pack Surveys were very interactive.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    When Star Wars was the last of the player lists, but they still choose even though it was obvious nobody (99% ) didn't ask for it, I'm incline to believe you.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Dine Out and Eco Lifestyle are prime examples of this.

Dine Out is a mess. Owning and running a restaurant is buggy, with bugs that are still unresolved to this day. When your sim goes to dine at a restaurant, the food takes hours to come out, and sims just stand around acting like fools.

Eco Lifestyle could've been great, but it's not. I was really looking forward to changing the pollution in all of my worlds, but it barely even works. It constantly is gravitating towards Neutral. And NAPS are a disaster, with sims stealing objects from public lots.

I could go on with examples from other packs, but it's just embarrassing. Why haven't they updated City Living so we can build our own apartments? Or Get to Work so sims can visit the Police Station or Hospital?

So many missed opportunities. This is why I'm very discerning about what packs I buy. I almost buy none of them at full price because none of them are worth the price they charge.

I do hope that survey is right, and they are thinking about going into some packs and updating them.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member

I think they don't do that because that doesn't make them money, they've already got your money. Going back to add new content to older packs already purchased by players, would cost time and resources but they wouldn't reap rewards from it because a good chunk of players already own those packs and obviously wouldn't be willing to pay more money for the updated/additional items.

I think thats part of my problem though with how they are treating the Sims 4 as a "service model" (their words) that sees the game updated overtime with new and revised content -but just for the base game? Almost ALL service model games see updates also to their expanded content and games like League of Legends goes back to REALLY old content and redevelops it (aka remakes already published heroes)

Actually USING that as an example, I don't see why they DON'T update packs to push sales numbers. From my understand most packs don't sell well after the initial launch, with just the most popular getting picked up overtime (like pets and seasons). If they DID go back and add new content to old expansion packs or revise them - they could advertise as much.

Not only giving current owners new/updated content but also encouraging people to buy packs they haven't already.

You know...like other service games do.
  • TwelfthDoctor1TwelfthDoctor1 Posts: 31 Member
    > @bixters said:
    > Dine Out and Eco Lifestyle are prime examples of this.
    >
    > Dine Out is a mess. Owning and running a restaurant is buggy, with bugs that are still unresolved to this day. When your sim goes to dine at a restaurant, the food takes hours to come out, and sims just stand around acting like fools.
    >
    > Eco Lifestyle could've been great, but it's not. I was really looking forward to changing the pollution in all of my worlds, but it barely even works. It constantly is gravitating towards Neutral. And NAPS are a disaster, with sims stealing objects from public lots.
    >
    > I could go on with examples from other packs, but it's just embarrassing. Why haven't they updated City Living so we can build our own apartments? Or Get to Work so sims can visit the Police Station or Hospital?
    >
    > So many missed opportunities. This is why I'm very discerning about what packs I buy. I almost buy none of them at full price because none of them are worth the price they charge.
    >
    > I do hope that survey is right, and they are thinking about going into some packs and updating them.

I agree, Dine Out is still a big mess, Eco Lifestyle as well.

Though the one time I found out that they updated something for a pack (Vampires), it is only for the implementation for Platforms, but their update made Bat and Mist Teleport slower and they made another bug in the process because they FORGOT to add one tuning. At this point, I feel that they are asking modders to fix their own issues...
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    > @bixters said:

I agree, Dine Out is still a big mess, Eco Lifestyle as well.

Though the one time I found out that they updated something for a pack (Vampires), it is only for the implementation for Platforms, but their update made Bat and Mist Teleport slower and they made another bug in the process because they FORGOT to add one tuning. At this point, I feel that they are asking modders to fix their own issues...

I agree. I feel like I just keep adding more mods to my game to keep in entertaining and bug free. They're worse than Bethesda.
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member

I think thats part of my problem though with how they are treating the Sims 4 as a "service model" (their words) that sees the game updated overtime with new and revised content -but just for the base game? Almost ALL service model games see updates also to their expanded content and games like League of Legends goes back to REALLY old content and redevelops it (aka remakes already published heroes)

Actually USING that as an example, I don't see why they DON'T update packs to push sales numbers. From my understand most packs don't sell well after the initial launch, with just the most popular getting picked up overtime (like pets and seasons). If they DID go back and add new content to old expansion packs or revise them - they could advertise as much.

Not only giving current owners new/updated content but also encouraging people to buy packs they haven't already.

You know...like other service games do.

That's exactly it! If they updated packs people who already own them get those additions and those who don't might decide to purchase the pack. At the end of the day everyone gets the same thing and they still make sales.

For example:
    Cats & Dogs. I don't mind that its only cats and dogs so long as they are very well done and detailed. I was looking forward to a pets pack and this is the first time I didn't buy one. As soon as I heard you can't control your pet, I was put off getting the pack. They said you can see what your pet needs by observing it, but that's the very reason I skip the baby stage. I can't see their needs. That's what makes babies very annoying for me and it sounds like the pets will be no different. If I could at least see my pet's needs and stuff then I might consider getting the pack. If I could also control my pet then I would deffinetly get it. If they were to update the pack and give the option to control your pet, then people like me, who aren't buying the pack because you can't control your pet, would get the pack. The update would increase their total sales for the pack. Of course for people who already own the pack and like that you don't control your pet will still need the option for this.

When it comes to updating packs it needs to be done in a way that while adding additional features, it doesn't completely change the game for those who already purchased it and are really enjoying it. There's nothing worse than buying a game for a feature you want, done exactly how you want, and having it changed into something you would have passed getting the pack for.

What I would like to see is us be given the option to control your pet, given the option to turn off illness (both for pets and Sims), and be given the option to turn off abductions (Get to Work), and turn off occults individually for those who want Get to Work, but no aliens, or who want Island Living, but no mermaids. Then people who like these and want them can still have them, but those who don't can turn them off. They'll make sales because people who are holding off buying a pack because it has something they don't like when they will otherwise enjoy the pack, will then buy it because they can turn whatever it is they don't want off.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    ...given the option to turn off abductions (Get to Work), and turn off occults individually for those who want Get to Work, but no aliens, or who want Island Living, but no mermaids. Then people who like these and want them can still have them, but those who don't can turn them off. They'll make sales because people who are holding off buying a pack because it has something they don't like when they will otherwise enjoy the pack, will then buy it because they can turn whatever it is they don't want off.

Yes to this one! I will purchase Get to work +Island Living +Paranormal if we can get an option to turn off occult/fantasy elements. They're killing my vibe! :#

edited February 2021
    And also a though on the topic…
    I have played the sims since -00 and have loved the franchise since start but stopped playing when we got sims 4 because of lack of… everything (depth, gameplay, age stages, memories, personality, consequences…). I have started to play this game again now when we have got more free updates/packs that can build on the empty shell that the base game is (I didn't purchase any packs/played the game for a couple of years). But when EA abandon their released packs (don’t fix bugs and don’t listen to the constructive feedback they get from players) and when they don’t fix / add things that the game is lacking (that players have continuously asked for since 2014 -like an improved personality system/memories/depth to game play) the players are going to loose their interest in the game. That’s how I feel. I really love this game, it brings… joy(?) to my life. But I know that I (sadly) will lose interest after a while if the game ain’t gonna improve.

I believe that one reason to the The sims franchise big success is that there are no competitors (yet). And why aren't there any? Is it because a big part of the players are women and women aren't real gamers? I don’t know. This is pure speculation from my side.

But I do really believe that EA would benefit from listening to their custumers a bit more: fix bugs, update existing packs, involve the players in new packs and using the feedback they get. That will in the long run attract new costumers and keep us longtime fans stay interested in the game.
    Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    If they update all the previous packs, I will literally buy 10 Journey to Batuu's and give them away on the forums 😫
    If they update all the previous packs, I will literally buy 10 Journey to Batuu's and give them away on the forums 😫

HAHA!!! :D Good idea, maybe you can offer a free bundle with Journey to Batuu + My first Pet stuff ;)

well, wish not granted. now ts4 will get kits to probably compensate for past content not added. profitable huh?