Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Produce useful?

This has probably already been asked, as in ages ago so bringing up would be necroposting (if I could find it). Is there a practical use for the fruit & veggies we can grow and the fish we can catch other than collection purposes and selling? I know sims can eat some of it if it's in inventory. Was thinking mainly of are these things ingredients in recipes for food sims can cook. In TS2 if my sim catches a trout, trout dinner is coming up as a cooking choice. How does this work in 4?

Comments

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited December 2020
    Fish: Cooking poke bowl, fish grand meal, fish tacos or other fish dishes
    Fruits and vegetables: Cooking fruit salad, garden salad or other fruit/vegetable dishes
    You can see the options better if you click on "Cook..." on the fridge or stove instead of "Have dinner..." or "Serve dinner...". There is a checkbox to show whether you want it to make use of fresh ingredients. The ingredients you have in your personal inventory (not household inventory) will automatically show up.
  • Options
    Fruits and vegetables can also be replanted
    Both produce and fish can be used as fertilizer for other plants.
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Fruits and vegetables can be eaten as is and depending on quality you will get stronger moodlets. They can be replanted, they can be sold, they can be used in cooking to reduce cooking costs. Curtain mods make it so cooking REQUIRES you to have certain fruits or vegetables in inventory to cook. You know, INGEDIENTS. Plasma Fruit can be used as a full grown (No pun intended) food source for vampires, making your garden into farm.

Fish can be sold for money, can be used as decoration, can be kept in fish bowls, one specific fish is needed to make Ambrosia.

Both Fish and fruits/vegetables can be used as a fertilizer, with fish in general being better one.

SO yeah. A LOT of uses.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Thank you both! Didn't know about the 'cook' thing. Does produce/fish in fridge count? Have noticed fish in inventory goes bad very quickly.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    You might have to take it out of the fridge and put it into your personal inventory before clicking on "cook". But just like in real life, fresh fish is best eaten as soon as possible.

Another use that I forgot-- fresh fruits and vegetables are a great instant food source for toddlers. Toddler can carry a bunch of fruit around in her pocket, it never goes bad, and she doesn't need an adult to help her with it (other than give it to her in the first place).
  • Options
    Thank you! Will have to test it out. I seldom bother with rug rats, but that's helpful as well for the couple of families that have them.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited December 2020
    To add to this, some plants will also give off moodlets when your Sims are around them, such as Roses are romantic and I believe Tulips for Energy. If you place a crocus plant or a flower arrangement scented with crocuses near a bee hive, it will keep them calm. You can also use plants to scent other flower arrangements. Bluebells will keep the arrangement fresh forever. Plants can also be used to scent laundry and candles and be used to make Fizzy juice drinks.

EDIT: A couple more things. There's a berry tree in JA that the berries give your Sims different emotions depending on what kind they eat. The plants grown in Granite Falls are needed to make various useful Wellness ointments for that skill and for the Outdoor Explorer aspiration as well.
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited December 2020
    Some are needed for Scientist serums and some for Spellcaster potions. Noxious Elderberry is the only one I have my Sims plant from Outdoor Retreat so they can craft insect repellent for use in Granite Falls and Selvadorada.
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    When doing a Rags to Riches game my sims are only allowed to eat whatever fruit or veggies are seasonal in their neighborhood. So, I'd say the produce is pretty valuable as Im sure would my sims, lol.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    You can stack different produce moodlets for a nice handful of happy points. For example, eating a nice apple gives a +1 moodlet, a perfect one gives +3, some quality in the middle gives +2, now you have +6 happy if you eat all three.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    If you have the baking skill, it helps in unlocking some recipes to cook, otherwise they are greyed out with no way of cooking them. Unlike Cooking and Gourmet where you don't need any fresh produce, baking actually requires it for some of the things there.

i often find levelling out baking as a tedious task, because you can bake everything on offer all the way to level 6 and it stops after this because the majority of the stuff around that level requires produce. Thankfully i can travel to skill classes to pick up the remaining levels with the appropriate happiness moodlet.

outside of Baking, certain produce is required for the grill, like walleye and salmon or a random fish to grill certain fish dishes. produce also reduces the costs on cooking certain dishes as well, however because the costs aren't that high i can just ignore the need for produce.
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited December 2020
    Aren't things stored in the fridge also used for cooking and not only those in a sim's inventory?
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    If you click on cook when clicking on the stove or fridge, there are items in there to make that will use the fruit or veggies grown or the fish caught. You will even see how much of each item is needed to make the dish.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Items stored in the fridge do count for using fruits/veggies/fish for cooking. There might be one or two weird exceptions
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Produce, fish, and other ingredients are actually required for some dishes, such as Fried Fish (requires Any Fish), Fruit Pie (requires Pear, Cherry, Strawberry, or Blueberry), and Honey Cake (requires Honey). Some drinks also require produce, especially the ones learned from Vampire Lore.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    This has probably already been asked, as in ages ago so bringing up would be necroposting (if I could find it). Is there a practical use for the fruit & veggies we can grow and the fish we can catch other than collection purposes and selling? I know sims can eat some of it if it's in inventory. Was thinking mainly of are these things ingredients in recipes for food sims can cook. In TS2 if my sim catches a trout, trout dinner is coming up as a cooking choice. How does this work in 4?

Yes they are in recipes. Sometimes you have to go to restaurants and festivals and eat foods in order to have the recipe populate for you in your "recipe book." Fruits and veggies can also be used to make soda in the soda maker from Eco Lifestyle. You can also use some items for bait and fertilizer.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I do believe the stuff from eco living like meat cubes soy etc. have to be in the Sims inventory and not in the fridge. I play with that pack disabled now but I do recall having issues. Also, some things like UFO fruit can not go in the fridge but if in inventory it may be used for fruit salad if nothing else is available. Anyway it was in my Sims inventory and then it was gone. I just assumed it went into the fruit salad I had my Sim make.
  • Options
    I don't have the eco pack, so no worries there. UFO fruit? Unidentified fruity objects?

Lots of great info & tips here, folks! Am beginning to think of printing the page. Thanks, everyone!