Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need advice on how not to have my game be a grind!

Hey folx, I'm rediscovering Sims3 after getting my old game disc to run on hubs' laptop (it flickers at the top but I just deal with it). At first, I was getting through the learning curve, doing all the lessons. And then it struck me that the game seems far more complex than Sims4 which is great. But now I have the same old problem I had last time I tried playing it when it was new: it's a grind!

But I'm running into the same problem I faced all those years ago that ultimately turned me off the game: it takes all my Sim's time and energy just to keep basic needs met, and stay afloat in a career and keep bills paid. Where's the time to socialize? I've even tried it on days off, after meeting needs, and barely get anywhere with someone, but eventually get halfway somewhere...after half a lifestage of investing all free time in trying, only to finally see they have a trait that is a dealbreaker, and have to just break it off and start over from scratch. At this rate my Sim is going to be an elder, never having gotten past the preliminaries with anyone else.

what am I doing wrong?
Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,921 Member
    edited December 2020
    There are many ways to have fun. The things I don't like doing is having to meet sims needs and pay the bills. So...

When I start a new sim, and I have mods now and I have HUGE households.

I also play on the longest life span possible for all age stages other than baby. That gives me plenty of time to do whatever I want. I can always buy them a birthday cake to age them up earlier and I often do give them a cake. I usually decide on what they need to achieve before they age up and once they've done that I move them on to the next age stage.

When I start a new sim I have a few rules. It'll be slow at first. I satisfy all wishes possible to build lifetime happiness points. When LTH hits 7,500 points I get the Simunity reward. Now my sims don't catch cold and don't get allergic reactions to picking wildflowers. Picking wildflowers is lucrative. I like to send them to the Festival grounds to pick wildflowers to sell immediately. Don't keep them too long as they lose value.

If you have the Stones Throw Greenhouse from the store, or just the sunflower from that venue you can collect the little suns it produces and sell them for 100 simoleans each if you are in need of quick cash. I have the whole venue and always have it in my worlds. Sims can collect seeds, harvestables, and minor pets and wildflowers to keep or sell.

Next reward I work towards costs 10,000 lifetime happiness points. It is Steel Bladder. No need to worry about bladder need after they get this one.

Then I work on getting 15,000 lifetime happiness points and buy No Bills Ever.

Next one is also 15,000 LTH points. That's Fast Learner.

Then I work through all of the 5,000 point rewards such as Observant, Speedy Cleaner, Jetsetter and whatever else I think my sim might benefit from. Then there are many other rewards to collect. The more the sim has the more I can do with that sim with less effort.

I record my gameplay and made videos on YouTube if you're interested in seeing some of my sims in action. The link in my signature is to my YouTube Channel. I ran out of space to add more info down there.

Enjoy your game. It's fun.

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    thanks for those tips...that's kind of how I played Sims4 before discovering cheats and mods, was kind of "points farming" the reward system so I could free a Sim from the daily needs struggle.

All I have is the basegame for Sims3, so only that one basic world, nothing additional. And it plays with an annoying flicker at the top of the screen, or I'd feel okay buying, even at the high price they still command, other Sims3 worlds and add-ons. But with flickering gameplay, I'm afraid to put any new money into it. But maybe I will go check out mods for Sims3, then.

Thanks again and I will check out your link.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited December 2020
    I use one of the Nraas mods to slow down time so my sims have more time in their day. It makes a huge difference to the game. I think the mod is called Nraas Relativity if I remember right. I don't know if you use mods but I highly recommend it. My sims go to work, take care of their children and still have some free time for hobbies, socializing or whatever activities I want them to do. The days seem so short in the Sims 3 default compared to how they are in the Sims 4. I was having the same struggle as you are before downloading the relativity mod.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,921 Member
    If you have registered the base game you will have 2 worlds. Riverview can be Downloaded from the store.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I can't really offer any tips because I cheat all the time and use many mods. If you are not averse to mods, like Sharonia, would recommend the use of Nraas Relativity.

As for the screen flickering, I am not tech savvy in the least, but am thinking you have a graphics issue.
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    edited December 2020
    There's not a lot I do to make the game less "grindy" for most part since I try to keep it semi-difficult early on but there's a few things I can offer to y'all

Turn off aging OR set it to long/epic. A longer life is quite basically more time to learn your Sim and enjoy their life. Or aging off is good if you just want to be a (young) adult forever with no Sim intentions to have children.

The big BIG first lifetime reward I ever get is always Meditative Trance Sleep. You can do SO much more when you half sleep time, combine it with the best bed and my Sims only need 5 hours a night. That frees up a lot of free-time. Carefrees nice too but gaming at a console usually restores fun really quick. (Even my technophobes love gaming consoles)

But otherwise I don't get other perks like Steel Bladder and Never Hungry as to me, they somewhat ruin a lot of the basic "life simulation" factor when you cut out the basic neccesities. My Sims generaly still have more time than needed too after a certain point anyway due to MDS and some quality equipment. Admittedly I might be a bit biased on the difficulty spectrum since coming from the Sims 1 years ago it's a complete different experience to not have Motives decaying almost twice as fast as perkless Sims 3 sims. (Eating also used to drain 1/4 of your bladder)

Another nice "less grindy" way to play is duos or Sim Trios. Big houses become too micromanage-y and rarely can you get the whole house together to do clubbing, and a single Sim leaves you with NOTHING to do when they go to work/sleep. A duo/trio still gives you a lot of time to become personal with your Sims and give them character and time to do things.

And as for money, since you mentioned trying to pay bills. Even without working you can make a fair bit, of course you can either make a Paint Goblin with the traits insane, loner, hates the outdoors, artistic and perfectionist and just let them paint in a basement forever. BUT you can easily make a ton of cash normally just collecting and such. Grab a witch and light a fire in your own house and you make 300k from insurance even if nothings destroyed if you like the cheating route. World Adventures tomb-raiding and Isla Paradiso's adventures in the sea also print money too...

Or if you want to be REALLY cheaty and skip money making, head to the future and get lottery records on everyone in your house then buy an interaction que of lottery tickets. YOU WILL get rich.

And as you mentioned about relations and someone having a bad trait? Such is life. Observent can help learn 3 traits instantly and is one of the first LTRs I get as well, but sometimes you may have to accept that not every Sim is perfect when looking for love and friends. Flaws make them really unqiue.

On the otherhand. There may be some things you might want to avoid entirely like the cheaty methods/perks I listed if you don't want to make the game too easy that its unfun... And the moodelet manager. Don't get me wrong, it's useful but it's almost too useful, it instantly removes negative moodlets and things like being tired or hungry are basically flipped.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited December 2020
    I use cheats or the lifetime rewards that are basically cheats (Moodlet Manager + Motive Mobile). Not all the time but I don't like the motive grind, I like achieving crazy goals instead and hitting up the club.

(That being said this nerfed Motive Mobile can bridge the gap between extreme motive managing and regular gameplay, haven't found a such mod for the Moodlet Manager but then again...don't want it :p)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    NRAAS mods. Wouldn’t play without them.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    Like others mentioned, NRaas Relativity is great if you're finding yourself with not enough time/energy to enjoy your Sims' off hours. I set mine up to slow down the clock by about 50% whenever my Sim isn't working or sleeping, so they essentially have twice as much free time to meet people and enjoy themselves.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Don't see where this has been mentioned yet specifically, but TS3 (like the others) is a time management game to the extent that we want to play it that way. Careers and basic daily tasks like cooking and taking care of the household become much easier as a sim gets better at them.

Socializing with others is very complicated and drawn out even with the LTRs that are meant to help, hence yet another grind, when either or both sims lack the Charisma skill and socially positive traits as you're only going to progress a new friendly relationship a tiny bit with each positive social interaction that way (and then lose some back if your sim accidentally says something annoying, boring, or embarrassing). At higher levels of the skill, you can practically walk past a stranger and they will like you as at least a friend and you might even discover a few of their traits just by saying hello or issuing a greeting from the sim's interactions menu that gets learned at the higher levels. The more realistic happy medium is, of course, somewhere in between.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I'll make an effort toward mods to make it playable. Just sux that it's so onerous to do anything but work, eat, sleep, shower, repeat until you die, in this game, if you start out single. Life just isn't worth living unless you find a way to cheat the system, so it's depressing how accurately it models real life in the 21st century.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    Just filling their need and making them static with cheats makes the game so much more fun in my opinion, just a simple thing but then you don't have to focus on needs (I do this for TS4 too). And then you can make them dynamic again if you do want to play with needs again.
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Hi.

Sorry the game feels like a grind to you, that's no fun at all. I play with no cheats and no mod to alter the flow of time and seem to manage just fine - but that's me. While Sims 3 is a time/life management game (of sorts), it is also a big disjointed puzzle. It is all in the way you approach what you are trying to accomplish. Mix and Match things up!

I find if you don't immediately jump into things, but rather take your time (not meaning going slow necessarily), you will be able to accomplish whatever goal you want and build as many skills in no time flat.

Let's take socializing for example. There are a lot of ways to do it and Sims will always tell (or show) you something about themselves.

One of the first things I do is have my Sims (charisma trait or not) read the first chapter of the charisma book. It really isn't needed beyond the initial chapter. Because, after that your Sim will be speaking or interacting with other Sims and the skill will begin to build on its own.

Now let's mix socializing with various skill builders and try to make it a bit fun.

Would your Sim like to improve their cooking skill?
    Make a group serving meal (or take a group serving) to the park, or library or any other place where Sims gather around dinner time (6-7pm) in my game. Have your Sim share a meal with the townies, they will talk and interact. Full bellies makes for happy Sims. Afterwards, just say hello to whoever happens to be there. After dinner, maybe select a sim to play chess with or just talk to. A portable radio can turn dinner in the park into an unofficial party.

Speaking or radios. Take a portable radio to the park and have your Sim exercise (build athletic skill). Other Sims will come to join you in the workout or come over to dance to the music. If your Sim is dancing, they will begin to talk with you.

Add a fire pit to a community lot. In the evening, light the fire and have your Sim read a book (skill or relaxing), have an open flame dinner (up to 3 items on the roasting stick) and just wait. Sims will come to share your fire, roast marshmallows and socialize.

Is your Sim out and about in town running errands? Take a moment to greet Sims who may be going into or coming out of your shopping places. A quick greeting is all it takes to add them to the relationship panel.

On days when you can't get out or don't feel like seeing other Sims, call them on the phone. Or, chat with them over the PC. Sim phone calls are generally about a Sim hour long but you can tell them when to hang up. This helps to maintain and build their relationship.

On days when you have a lot to do at home, invite them over to hang out. You have no idea how many times on laundry day or house cleaning day I have had my Sims invite their friends over. I always provide food for them. Don't worry, your guests will always find a way to entertain themselves so you don't have to stand chatting every moment they are there. When my Sims take a break (from whatever they were doing), I would have them ask their friends to play catch, or a video game (or a couple rounds of chess) or watch TV and even dance. This builds the relationship and memories. Plus, you get to learn more about the Sim by just watching what they do.

Pack a meal and go over to a friends house for dinner. Sims do not consider it rude if you bring your meal to their house and have dinner. They only consider it rude if you try to make dinner from the food in their fridge. So, grab a salad and go get to know that Sim you've had your eye on in their surroundings.

Break up big tasks and turn them into more manageable pieces. Set aside days which are better suited to some tasks (I have a laundry day, for example).

Remember, there are many ways to do anything in this game from making simoleons to building relationships to planning a course to having it all. It just takes a little imagination ;).
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    have lots of kids that way you will always have a sim to do something with
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    When I play a single sim just starting out, I almost always make them self-employed rather than taking on a career. The hours are whatever you want them to be, the pay is actually better after a while, and some of the activities (painting, fishing, sculpting) increase fun, leaving one less need to worry about. That leaves plenty of time for romance and other socializing, and eventually enough of an income to buy what you want.

I also usually have my sim learn the first level of charisma and meet 25 other sims, even if they're not going to actively pursue the skill overall. Knowing 25 sims fulfills a skill challenge and grants a relationship boost to any sim they meet after, so I usually start by introducing my sim to others I don't need them to be friends with. I can usually complete the challenge in one Sunday afternoon, sending my sim back and forth across the plaza that contains the bookstore and grocery store—the game itself will send sims to visit whichever lot your own sim is on, and a few will show up on their own.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I agree with the above poster, self employee career is usually more fun and you'll get more free time with it
    ihavemultiplegamertags